PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Will Be Better In 2009

steelerdave1969
02-11-2009, 11:45 AM
This is just a quick look at the Steelers depth chart as of right now according to Steelers.com

QB
Big Ben- our starter for sure
Byron Leftwich- most likely gone
Charlie Batch- should be back
Dennis Dixon- maybe our future soon than you think (IF the steelers dont protect Ben Better in season's to come)

RB
Willie Parker ( like it or not, he is still the starter )
Rashard Mendenhall- yes, he will be ready for '09 to make an impact
Mewelde Moore- has proven he can get the job done when called upon
Gary Russell- I really dont think he will even be on the team in '09
FB Carey Davis

WR
Hines Ward
Santonio Holmes
Nate Washington- Will he be back in '09?
Limas Sweed- has still got alot to prove in my eyes

TE
Heath Miller- one of the best in the business in my opinion
Matt Spaeth- I hope they find a replacement for this guy soon!!
Sean McHugh- is he a TE or FB?

OT
Max Starks and Willie Colon as our starters
Trai Essex, Tony Hills and Jason Capizzi

OG
Chris Keomateau and Darnell Stapleton as our starters
Kendall Simmons should be back at full health by '09

C
Justin Hartwig earned the spot over the season as he improved all along during the season

ON Defense
DE
Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel as our starters
Travis Kirschke Orpheus Roye and Nick Eason need to be upgraded

DT
Casey Hampton is still one of the best at what he does
Chris Hoke is a great backup

OLB
James Harrison and Lamar Woodley?.. They speak for their selves.
Bruce Davis ( unproven 2nd year player)
Patrick Bailey and Andre Frazier strictly backups and special teamers

ILB
James Farrior
Lawrence Timmons definitely our future great LB
Larry Foote most likely gone, and keyaron Fox is a great special team player

DB
Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden our starters, hoping the Steelers re-ink McFadden
William Gay is ready for more playing time, but when?
Deshea Townsend is a very experienced backup and nickle corner that is worth keeping around.

S
Troy Polomalu, Need I say more?
Ryan Clark - very underrated in our defense
Tyrone Carter a solid backup, but not a starter
Anthony Smith, whatever happened to this guy who had so much promise?

This team should be kept in tact for the most point everywhere except for Off. Line in my opinion. I think with a little help there and this team could be destined for 13 or 14 wins in '09

SteelCityMom
02-11-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't know why they would need to find a replacement for Spaeth anytime soon, he's been very good this season IMO. I think he's got a lot of potential, he's no Miller, but he's good.

I hope we get to see Russell in the lineup as well, though you're right, he's pretty questionable. I think they keep him around though for insurance purposes if nothing else, especially after all the problems they had at RB this past season.

I like BMac, but he will probably find a better deal elsewhere, which is ok with me. Gay has proven to be a capable starter and I like his emotion on the team as well.

Steeldude
02-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Gary Russell- I really dont think he will even be on the team in '09

i hope he is. he is the only proven power back the steelers have on the roster.

i am hoping they can trade parker or mendenhall to move up in the draft.

Casey Hampton is still one of the best at what he does

it would be great if he got back down to 325.

Fire Haley
02-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Larry Foote most likely gone

Why would he be gone? He still has a year left on his contract.

devilsdancefloor
02-11-2009, 01:51 PM

i have to agree he is gone i dont think the steelers pay him 3 mil to be a back up and timmons has proven he is ready to start. Besides foote wants to go back home to detroit.

steelreserve
02-11-2009, 02:03 PM
i hope he is. he is the only proven power back the steelers have on the roster.

Tell me again why you would trade our first-round draft pick from last year for next to nothing, without even seeing him play? He was supposed to, you know ... be the running back of the future, remember?

On the other hand, I don't really care if we trade Parker for a bag of potato chips. He's always been way too inconsistent and one-dimensional to be a starting running back period, let alone one who you expect to carry the team. That's not getting any better and it never will -- that much was painfully obvious during the playoffs once again. Plus, he's getting old and injury-prone on top of it all. I don't care how many 100-yard games he's had against the Browns and the Bengals; it's time to move on.

SteelCityKing
02-11-2009, 02:16 PM
i love our team the way it is. i'm no just saying that because i don't want to see people go. but i'm sure the team will make a few cuts here and there and work out the kinks. but if i had to drop someone and pick up someone else, i couldn't do it because i enjoy our players.

all we need to do is hone our weapons and use them more often. Sweed, Mendenhall...and obviously, tweak out the o-line. but, that's easier said than done.

Steeldude
02-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Tell me again why you would trade our first-round draft pick from last year for next to nothing, without even seeing him play? He was supposed to, you know ... be the running back of the future, remember?

simple. the steelers are comfortable at the RB position. if the steelers can use mendenhall to move up and get a top tackle then i say go for it.

personally, i felt drafting a RB in the 1st round last april was a waste because it wasn't a need.

i am a strong believer in the O-line making the running game, not the RB.

steelerdave1969
02-11-2009, 05:46 PM

To pay him the $3 mill that is left on his contract and him be a backup to 2nd year player Lawrence Timmons would be out of character for the Steelers I think.and I really think he is wanting to be somewhere he can be a starter and he deserves that. He has already expressed interest in playing for his hometown Detroit Lions. And I think they could use a good LB like him, why wouldnt the Steelers try to trade him this offseason and get something for him instead of going til next season and just losing him for nothing in exchange.
As far as us trading Rashard Mendenhall, there is no way the Steelers would do that in my opinion. The guy looks like he has some promise as our future starter and the Steelers may not get a chance at another of his caliber in this draft at their position in the draft. I just think the Steelers are set at RB and I dont see them drafting a RB in this draft unless it is late and he is a good return man as well.

iloveben7
02-11-2009, 06:09 PM

they did the same thing to Joey Porter

steelreserve
02-11-2009, 06:58 PM
simple. the steelers are comfortable at the RB position. if the steelers can use mendenhall to move up and get a top tackle then i say go for it.

personally, i felt drafting a RB in the 1st round last april was a waste because it wasn't a need.

Well, if you think we're comfortable at RB, that's good, but I personally think we're aging, one-dimensional and inconsistent. Watching Parker try to run against anyone decent is about as much fun as slamming your dick in a door.

Yeah, we definitely need to get some better blocking, but you need both an RB and an OL to make the running game work well, not one or the other. Once the top few linemen are off the board, we won't even necessarily get a much better player at #20 than we would at #32. Trading away the the only decent long-term option we have so far at RB -- before he's even played a full game for us -- would be shooting ourselves in the foot.

86WARD
02-11-2009, 08:08 PM
No Kendall Simmons...he's awful!!!!!!

meelanova
02-11-2009, 09:12 PM

:toofunny: :thmbdown:

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
02-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Trading Parker/Mendenhall would be a huge mistake... If the two are healthy next year, they'd make a great combo. Why would you trade a 1st rounder a year after he's drafted, who never got a chance to prove himself... the "draftniks" all vouched for his talent last spring.

Last year, how many were saying Timmons was a bust, 'cause he did so little his rookie year? He looked like a beast in limited play this year, and is obviously the heir apparent - and probable replacement - for Foote this coming season. I think he's going to be excellent. I also remember whisperings about another rookie bust, six years ago... a guy named Polamalu - how'd that turn out?

Let's give Mendenhall a chance before we condemn him...

Curtain_of_Steel
02-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Agree about Foote, Steelers MO is to better use that money, when someone who is better in Timmons is going to be on that field 90% of the times. We dont need another 2.8 on the bench

Not sure I want to go to war with that oline, and you have them all coming back? Need I yell at the TV more, oh shit, run ben run, lol

lilyoder6
02-11-2009, 11:19 PM
y would u want 2 upgrade spaeth.. i think he played very well this past season... if anything they will keep russell until mendenhall can show he can handle the tough yrds

Steeldude
02-12-2009, 02:00 AM
Watching Parker try to run against anyone decent is about as much fun as slamming your dick in a door

:rofl:

i am not a huge fan of parker, but the O-line really hasn't given him a lot of chances to do much. this is not to say parker is without fault. he has taken some poor angles etc... i personally wanted moore to take over for the rest of the year when parker went down. then have russell come in as the backup. i like how russell keeps churning his legs. he is 225, even though the roster still list him as being lighter.

Trading away the the only decent long-term option we have so far at RB

jury is still out on mendenhall. was his injury a fluke or is he injury prone? let's hope it's not that latter. running out a spread option in illinois didn't exactly expose him to the runs/hits he will experience in pittsburgh's offense. he has the size and speed, no denying that fact, but can he make it work in the NFL? let's hope :thumbsup:

Yeah, we definitely need to get some better blocking, but you need both an RB and an OL to make the running game work well

i beg to differ. sure a good RB is always a plus, as is it is with any position. there are RBs out there that can make an O-line look good, but in most part it's the O-line doing the majority of the work, IMO. i don't think emmit smith would have been much of a RB without the cowboys' O-line repeatedly opening huge gaping holes. after hutchinson left seattle we saw shaun alexander's production dwindle. i feel that when a good O-line is established then a decent RB can be found in the 3rd round or later. the RB i am high on(won't be available by the 3rd) in this coming draft is shonn greene. he isn't exactly a need, but he a bruiser.

i get what you are saying though and it makes sense. you would like to see what mendenhall has to offer since when already drafted him. my position is the steelers will be fine without mendenhall if it means possibly getting a top 1 to 4 tackle. i seriously doubt it would happen.

perhaps parker, foote, our 1st and a 3rd to move up. i wonder if the lions would take it? yes, i am dreaming. :smile:

Steeldude
02-12-2009, 02:02 AM

trading him to upgrade the average to poor O-line does not mean condemning him.

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
02-12-2009, 02:35 PM
trading him to upgrade the average to poor O-line does not mean condemning him.

True, but I think other options would be much more logical - we can get quality O-linemen in the draft. People said teams should never draft a guard in the first round, but Faneca was a wise choice. We may not get someone of his caliber, but two of our first three picks on O-linemen, plus resigning Starks or Smith for one year, would be better than unnecessarily trading Mendenhall for a draft pick.

FWP isn't that fast anymore, and Moore isn't a 300 carry back. We don't have anyone else, anymore... so we'd have to sign/draft another RB if we traded Mendenhall, and he hasn't been a disappointment. He just got his shoulder busted by Ray Lewis.

HometownGal
02-12-2009, 03:02 PM
YAY - just what we need around here. Another Parker bashing thread. :rolleyes:

QB
Charlie Batch- should be back As much as I love the guy as a person, he scares the bejesus outta me whenever he's behind center and I really hope he retires.

RB
Willie Parker ( like it or not, he is still the starter ) I like it.
Rashard Mendenhall- yes, he will be ready for '09 to make an impact Agreed
Mewelde Moore- has proven he can get the job done when called upon For the most part, yes.
Gary Russell- I really dont think he will even be on the team in '09 The jury is still out on him, imho
FB Carey Davis I'm not all that impressed with him and think we could possibly upgrade there.

TE
Matt Spaeth- I hope they find a replacement for this guy soon!! I have no problem whatsoever with Spaeth and wish he would get more opportunities with our O.Sean McHugh- is he a TE or FB? Hell - use him as a FB. See above with regard to Carey Davis.

OT
Max Starks and Willie Colon as our starters Starks is not worth the bazillion bucks he is making on the franchise tag. No way, no how. As for Colon - he needs to hit the road imho.

OG
Chris Keomateau and Darnell Stapleton as our starters Kemo yes - not sure yet about Stapleton. He's got a bit of a way to go imho.
Kendall Simmons should be back at full health by '09 Hopefully.

C
Justin Hartwig earned the spot over the season as he improved all along during the season I vehemently disagree here and hope that the Steelers can find a more reliable and consistent C via the draft or FA. He was a teenie weenie upgrade over Mahan, but I was not pleased overall with his performance.

ON Defense
DE
Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel as our starters Definitely, but as both are approaching their mid 30's, the Steelers really need to find a suitable DE or two in the draft/FA to replace Smith and The Deisel in the next 3-4 years.

ILB
Larry Foote most likely gone, and keyaron Fox is a great special team player It would be a shame to see Foote go, as I think the guy has done his job for the most part. Not sure what the Steelers are going to do here.

S
Tyrone Carter a solid backup, but not a starter Not now, but I think he has a lot of potential to become a starter in the future. I was VERY impressed with his play this season.

Jackal
02-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Would someone please tell me why all of the HaterAde for Matt Spaeth? The guy is a serviceable blocker and has proven himself reliable as a receiving TE. Granted, he's no Heath, but he certainly hasn't done anything to deserve all of the disdain he seems to generate.

steelballs
02-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Trading Parker/Mendenhall would be a huge mistake... If the two are healthy next year, they'd make a great combo. Why would you trade a 1st rounder a year after he's drafted, who never got a chance to prove himself... the "draftniks" all vouched for his talent last spring.

Last year, how many were saying Timmons was a bust, 'cause he did so little his rookie year? He looked like a beast in limited play this year, and is obviously the heir apparent - and probable replacement - for Foote this coming season. I think he's going to be excellent. I also remember whisperings about another rookie bust, six years ago... a guy named Polamalu - how'd that turn out?

I think both Mendenhall and Parker will be on the roster next year...the question will be who's the starter. We never got to see what Mendenhall can bring and Willie played hurt most of the season. I will say that Parker was disappointing, he played soft in my eyes, but we know what he's capable of. Mendenhall looked awesome up in Latrobe, but that means squat.

I'm excited to see the competition between these two next year and it can only mean good things for the black & gold.

steelerdave1969
02-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Would someone please tell me why all of the HaterAde for Matt Spaeth? The guy is a serviceable blocker and has proven himself reliable as a receiving TE. Granted, he's no Heath, but he certainly hasn't done anything to deserve all of the disdain he seems to generate.

The only times that I remember seeing him in there trying to block someone he is " getting run over " The guy stinks as a blocker and is average at best at receiving.

I wanted to make sure that I made this point on my team roster is the players that are already here, not neccasarily making them the starters like our offensive linemen. I know that some of these players will not or should not be our starters.
It also looks as if maybe LB Larry Foote will be back from the sounds of his latest interview on Post-Gazette.com, and I would welcome that especially for depth in cas something happens to one of our starters.

Fire Haley
02-13-2009, 11:10 AM
they did the same thing to Joey Porter

Kinda - the Steelers released Joey to get under the cap - no cap problems this time. And they had a sure starter at his position in Harrison to relieve him.

I guess we'll see if the Steelers really view Timmons as a capable replacement.

If they do keep Foote, it's a sign they're still not sure that #1 pick can do the job at ILB.

Jackal
02-13-2009, 02:23 PM
You and I must've been watching different games then, Dave. I went to 9 games this year, and don't recall seeing Spaeth drop the ball once...or blow a big block.

steelreserve
02-13-2009, 02:40 PM
YAY - just what we need around here. Another Parker bashing thread. :rolleyes:

You forgot the :coffee:

Also, isn't Tyrone Carter like 50 years old?

lilyoder6
02-13-2009, 04:48 PM
yea.. carter is that old.. and it seems he shrinks evry yr... the man could be labeled as a midget at this point

steelreserve
02-13-2009, 05:16 PM
yea.. carter is that old.. and it seems he shrinks evry yr... the man could be labeled as a midget at this point

Definitely. However, I still think we'll keep him around for another several years, because otherwise I don't think we have anyone who will satisfy the league-mandated minimum of one black guy with dreads that hang out of his helmet on each team.

steelerbackr4life
02-13-2009, 05:35 PM
One thing that I don't think I've seened mentioned is getting our kicker back. I think 2009 is going to be a great season for the simple fact that we'll have feild position in our favor again. A drive against or D is hard enough, but a 95yd drive is even worse. Not to mention ben will have shorter drives, hopefully turning some of those 3pts to 7.

Not to mention Sepulveda is a much better tackler!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_FhCgLeuO0I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_FhCgLeuO0I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

T.Richardson
02-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Not to mention Sepulveda is a much better tackler!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_FhCgLeuO0I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_FhCgLeuO0I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Definition of Steelers football!

steelwall
02-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Yes Sepulveda.... I love that video. I dare say he is a major upgrade from Ham-Berger.

I like Spaeth too, and think we should keep him he has great hands, and can really help us in the redzone.

Call me crazy, but put Miller in at fullback on short yardage situations...

steelerdave1969
02-13-2009, 11:29 PM
You and I must've been watching different games then, Dave. I went to 9 games this year, and don't recall seeing Spaeth drop the ball once...or blow a big block.

Pay attention and just watch him and no one else during the running game and see what ya think then. He is Not a good run blocker and that is what the Steelers need from him. Heath Miller could catch 70 passes a season in the right offense and he is still one of the Best Run Blockers in the league, Spaeth is far from either one. But these are just my opinions so nothing personal..
:wave:

lilyoder6
02-13-2009, 11:40 PM
i wonder how u would feel getting lit up by a punter???

GodofGridiron
02-14-2009, 12:06 AM
I dont get the love affair with Parker myself. I mean the dude doesnt bring anything spectacular to the backfield except point A to point B speed. He cant cut back, he's not shifty, doesnt have great field awareness and he doesnt break tackles. Parkers biggest runs of his career are those in which theres either a huge hole that open just as he's hitting the line or around the edge and no one lays a finger on him. He's very easy to trip up in traffic if you just get an arm on his legs (he doesnt run legs high) he'll go down.

The one player i do admire for all that he brings is the young guy Chris Johnson with Tennessee. He can do it all. Nice change of direction, shifty, a burner, good hands out of the backfield and is lethal in the open field behind a well set screen.

Parker's not even in the same league as that rookie. Parker has only a single asset as a RB-- speed. Nothin else.

Jackal
02-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Pay attention and just watch him and no one else during the running game and see what ya think then. He is Not a good run blocker and that is what the Steelers need from him. Heath Miller could catch 70 passes a season in the right offense and he is still one of the Best Run Blockers in the league, Spaeth is far from either one. But these are just my opinions so nothing personal..
:wave:

No harm, no foul.

Jackal
02-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Yes Sepulveda.... I love that video. I dare say he is a major upgrade from Ham-Berger.

I like Spaeth too, and think we should keep him he has great hands, and can really help us in the redzone.

Call me crazy, but put Miller in at fullback on short yardage situations...

You're crazy, but I like the way you think. It could be interesting to mix it up a little.

Any injury updates on Sepulveda? I hope he's rehabbing well and won't be one-and-done. Knee injuries can kill you as a punter.

steelerdave1969
02-25-2009, 04:53 PM
One thing that I don't think I've seened mentioned is getting our kicker back. I think 2009 is going to be a great season for the simple fact that we'll have feild position in our favor again. A drive against or D is hard enough, but a 95yd drive is even worse. Not to mention ben will have shorter drives, hopefully turning some of those 3pts to 7.

And I thought I was the only one that loved this guy his rookie season.. I love the way this guy puts the ball down inside the 20 yard line, that means the world when you have a defense like ours. Baltimore Ravens proved this year that they have a great punter as well, and it makes it 100X harder to score when you start inside your own 10.
I will be glad to see the guy back in '09 myself. I know he needs to work on his consistency, but he is a great punter.
:drink:

steelerdave1969
02-25-2009, 04:55 PM
No harm, no foul.

Of course not bud.. no problem :drink:

ricksteelers55
02-25-2009, 09:21 PM

Mendenhall isnt going anywhere,that is not steelers mentality

they drafted him cause he his a power runner with good agility,mark my words,at the end of the next season you'll all be glad he's still on the team and will praise him to be the starter

last year he didnt play a lot,but he was very impressive against the vikes in preseason(i know he fumbled twice) but he still got 75 yds on like 12 carries and we all know how tough the vikings run D is.

he averaged 3.7 yds per carry against the very good Ravens run D before being injured which is very good.

IF he can hold on to the ball,he will be our starter in less than 3 yrs that is for sure

if i was the steelers ,id draft him again

iceman000123
02-25-2009, 11:31 PM

And thats exactly what we need to do. With the exception of the Titans... the games we loss this year could have easily ended up as Wins If we had just one more touchdown or had gotten into the endzone instead of having to settle for 3

SuzyPeppercorn
02-26-2009, 02:44 PM
I dont get the love affair with Parker myself. I mean the dude doesnt bring anything spectacular to the backfield except point A to point B speed. He cant cut back, he's not shifty, doesnt have great field awareness and he doesnt break tackles. Parkers biggest runs of his career are those in which theres either a huge hole that open just as he's hitting the line or around the edge and no one lays a finger on him. He's very easy to trip up in traffic if you just get an arm on his legs (he doesnt run legs high) he'll go down.

The one player i do admire for all that he brings is the young guy Chris Johnson with Tennessee. He can do it all. Nice change of direction, shifty, a burner, good hands out of the backfield and is lethal in the open field behind a well set screen.

Parker's not even in the same league as that rookie. Parker has only a single asset as a RB-- speed. Nothin else.

I think parker is extremely hard to bring down for being such a speedster. I really don't see what you are talking about when i watch parker. I have seen many times where he takes a definite loss of 3 yards and turns it into a positive gain.

Also, parker usually has 2 or 3 people hanging on him to take him down. Does he get tripped up easily sometimes? Of course! When someone is going that fast and you get a hand between his feet they are going down.

Do i think parker is perfect? Of course not. I think him sharing the load with a power back like mendenhall will be the perfect fit and a great challenge for any defense.

iceman000123
02-26-2009, 08:12 PM
I think parker is extremely hard to bring down for being such a speedster. I really don't see what you are talking about when i watch parker. I have seen many times where he takes a definite loss of 3 yards and turns it into a positive gain.

Also, parker usually has 2 or 3 people hanging on him to take him down. Does he get tripped up easily sometimes? Of course! When someone is going that fast and you get a hand between his feet they are going down.

Do i think parker is perfect? Of course not. I think him sharing the load with a power back like mendenhall will be the perfect fit and a great challenge for any defense.

Not to mention that he was coming off a injury this year...

MongoSteeler
02-26-2009, 08:33 PM
It was reported a couple of weeks ago that Sepulvida is fully recovered and could have played the end of the season and play offs if they hadn't put him on the IR.
Mendenhall is not considered injury prone. The broken shoulder was a fluke. Steelers doctors stated that his injury was something you would expect from a car accident rather than a football game.
The running game could possibly be improved by the addition of Stefan Logan. Record holder out of Div 11. He has speed, moves, power and can catch out of the backfield.He is also a return threat. At 27 years old he has a shot to make this team on special teams and 3rd down back possibly.