PDA

View Full Version : Jags release Jerry Porter and Drayton Florence

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Adam Schefter
Jaguars cut losses with Porter, Florence

As quickly as the Jaguars moved to shore up their roster last offseason, they have done the same this offseason.

The Jaguars cut WR Jerry Porter and CB Drayton Florence on Wednesday, both of whom signed big free-agent contracts last year. The moves free up $4.1 million from Jacksonvilleís salary cap for the 2009 season.

Porter signed a six-year, $30 million contract with the Jaguars last year, but he failed to produce, catching 11 passes in 10 games. Now the team has cut Porter, saving $2 million against the cap.

Cutting Florence, who was relegated to nickel-back duty, saves the Jaguars another $2.1 million. Florence signed a six-year, $36 million contract last offseason but, like Porter, he lasted only one season in Jacksonville. Now he and his contract have been sent packing.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/11/porters-jacksonville-stay-lasts-only-one-season/

steelerdave1969
02-11-2009, 05:12 PM
For the Jaguars to be so strong in '07 they sure slipped a long way down the ladder in one offseason of bad moves. Makes me even more proud to have the Rooneys over the Steelers org.

:hatsoff:

ShutDown24
02-11-2009, 05:13 PM
I'll be interested to see where these two end up.

I think Florence is still a solid corner, bad season sure but I don't know about cutting him already.

Porter I get.

The Duke
02-11-2009, 05:46 PM
I never understood why Florence was given that contract. He was NEVER any good

Plus the lack of pass rush in jacksonville just exposed him even more

but hey, for vet minimum....

fansince'76
02-11-2009, 05:51 PM
I never understood why Florence was given that contract. He was NEVER any good

Plus the lack of pass rush in jacksonville just exposed him even more

but hey, for vet minimum....

Wrong thread! :offtopic:

:chuckle:

revefsreleets
02-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Jerry Porter is the NFL version of Tommy Tutone.

steelreserve
02-12-2009, 12:00 PM
I honestly cannot think of any player in the NFL that I would want on my team less than Jerry Porter. He doesn't make plays, he comes with a lazy, ghetto-ass disposition, and he costs a lot of money because people still think he's talented. Hey, you think he'll play hard for you because you gave him a big contract? Nope -- you just get more BAD ATTITUDE.

I honestly cannot fathom how that guy hasn't been involved in some stabbing outside a nightclub yet. If you could make a bet about who that would happen to next, he'd be the first guy I would pick.

lilyoder6
02-12-2009, 12:38 PM
i think florence will be able 2 find a team a lot quicker than porter.... porter was supposed 2 come in and be that #1 wr.. and he only caught 11 passes in 10 games.. what a failure

Dino 6 Rings
02-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Tough times for Porter with guys like TJ Housh and Anquawn Boldin out on the market...

RoethlisBURGHer
02-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Florence will find a team, he's not starting caliber but he can fill in on nickel and dime situations.

I think Porter's out if the NFL, honestly.

HometownGal
02-12-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm really not shocked about Porter's release. I always viewed him as an overrated, overpaid big mouth. Maybe the Bungles will sign him on the cheap - he'd fit in perfectly there. :thumbsup:

steelreserve
02-12-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm really not shocked about Porter's release. I always viewed him as an overrated, overpaid big mouth. Maybe the Bungles will sign him on the cheap - he'd fit in perfectly there. :thumbsup:

Yes! And if my prediction about him getting arrested over some dumbass nightclub fight is correct, that'd fit in perfectly with the Bengals! This HAS to happen.