PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Is there anyay that we can get trade value for leftwich.. would we have to resign him or is he basically free to go anywhere

StainlessStill
02-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Not sure about the trade value and all of that since free agency somewhat confused me as far as how to keep a guy and what is needed for this to imply this and who is allowed to talk to teams via trade and who has permission to do this and so on.

I know Leftwhich is a unrestricted free agent, which means he's allowed to test the market and talk to other teams and ultimately sign a contract without any jurisdiction or word from the Steelers, unlike what restricted free agents must go through. Not sure what level of trade value we can get for Lefty.

(Correct me if I'm wrong.)

rbryan
02-11-2009, 08:36 PM
No trade value....in two weeks any team can sign him.

I'm not sure why so many here think he's a lock to get a big payday and a starting role elsewhere. What's he done since he's been here to raise his stock? Theres a reason there were no takers last year. Bottom line is the $. I don't doubt someone will offer more than the Steelers to at least compete for a starting job, but in the end I'll bet you dollars to donuts he's still carrying a clip board next fall.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-11-2009, 09:01 PM
I can see him getting an offer from a place like KC and being there to compete with Thigpen.

Same too in Minnesota. The guy is a good QB that was in some bad situations. He will not be a Steeler next season.

StainlessStill
02-11-2009, 09:14 PM

I'm not sure why so many here think he's a lock to get a big payday and a starting role elsewhere. What's he done since he's been here to raise his stock? Theres a reason there were no takers last year. Bottom line is the $. I don't doubt someone will offer more than the Steelers to at least compete for a starting job, but in the end I'll bet you dollars to donuts he's still carrying a clip board next fall.

They might not dish out the $ for him to be a right away starter, but someone will give him the opportunity to compete for a starting job, which is the one thing he wants.. a chance.

I see KC, Minn, Seattle, or even the Jets (since Favre is now retired) to go after Lefty for a shot to be their Quarterback. He's young, and has a CANNON arm, which some teams are drooling over. Plus, he's healthy, which is KEY for him. Should be interesting.

CPanther95
02-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Dallas will be signing a backup this offseason.

WWIIOwheelz
02-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Jets need a QB pretty badly. They will probably go after him.

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
02-11-2009, 09:26 PM
I believe Leftwich was considered one of the better backups in the league this year... and considering the lack of QB talent in the NFL, I think he'll have no problem getting a chance to compete for a starter's job with someone. He knows that, in the 'Burgh, he'll sit behind Ben (if he's healthy) forever...

Will Batch be healthy enough to regain his position next year?

rbryan
02-12-2009, 07:57 AM
Just a reminder.....in his last stint in Atlanta he couldn't beat out Joey Harrington for the job.

I just don't see where he did anything to raise to his stock since. If anything he cemented himself as a backup QB. He knew last year he didn't have an opportunity to start but he signed here.

Charlie Batch isn't the answer. I'd like to see the FO step up and offer Leftwich enough to stay. If some other team wants to throw big $ at him so be it.

stlrtruck
02-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Lefty even mentioned about staying in Pittsburgh when he was doing super bowl interviews.

I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to stay in Pittsburgh as the backup.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Here is the concensus scouting report by 3 current NFL GM's on Byron Leftwich. They think he is a good fit for the Jets.

Byron Leftwich: "Tough guy, smart guy, great arm, good accuracy. ... Played well last year in the role given him by Pittsburgh. ... Issues with mobility and sometimes holds the ball too long, though he did less of that last year. ... A winning record. ... A lot of starts in the league. ... Looks hungry."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80eb1d48&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Morgan
02-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Given the dearth of quality QBs in the league I just don't see Byron staying with the Steelers. SOMEONE will give him a chance to compete for a starting gig, and the Steelers aren't one of those someones. He's been a good team player, and a terrific teammate. If he can find a team that will let him be their starter, I wish him the absolute best of luck...and I'll even hope our blitzers don't hurt him if he hast o play us.... I WILL hope they sack the crap out of him tho. LOL Nothing personal... ;)

aries4972
02-12-2009, 09:16 AM
I can see him getting an offer from a place like KC and being there to compete with Thigpen.

Same too in Minnesota. The guy is a good QB that was in some bad situations. He will not be a Steeler next season.

...don't forget
NY jets
Tampa bay
Kansas City
... they could all use a veteran in camp to push their young guys

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2009, 09:32 AM
...don't forget
NY jets
Tampa bay
Kansas City
... they could all use a veteran in camp to push their young guys

Yeah, thanks. I already said KC and as for the Jets.........I think Favre is gonna unretire again. :rofl:

revefsreleets
02-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Bottom line the dude looked sharp when he got a chance to play. I believe he's slimmed down. I think he's as healthy as he's been. Those are just a couple issues that were knocks on him that probably come off the table now.

I think smart money says if you have a team that's close to breaking out and you need a QB, pick up a guy like Lefty and draft a project QB in rds 3-4. That way you are covered for the short and long term.

I think he'll have some success on his next team. A Minnesota or Tampa Bay would be really good fits for him, as both are close to being really solid football teams.

scsteeler
02-12-2009, 10:38 AM
The Steelers have a way of Bringing out the best talent in a guy and most teams in the league don't do that. I think Leftwich wants to stay in Pittsburgh but the question is will batch come back and if he does will be happy and healthy enough as a backup.

My thoughts are keeping Byron will depend on what Batch does. I think Dixon will be more competitive for the backup roll also.

Steely McSmash
02-12-2009, 10:56 AM
love to have him but I think he's gone.

He saw action in several games. Looked much better than BR at times. QB rating for this year = 104.

atlsteelers
02-12-2009, 11:04 AM
rumor has it that the bears really like leftwich. it would be nice to see him stick around for another year. he looked good in his limited appearances.

steelreserve
02-12-2009, 11:13 AM
I'd add the 49ers to the list of teams that could/should be looking to sign him. Although if recent history is any indication, they'll let him go somewhere else without even taking a look.

tucker6
02-12-2009, 11:36 AM
I liked what Bryon brought to the Steelers this year, but Byron's as good as gone. The Steelers have shown over the last two years that a capable backup is worth a lot to a team during a season. The league has noticed based on several stories I've read in the last couple months. It's a copy cat league you know. The Steelers have two capable backups, Byron and Charlie. They can't keep both, and Charlie will be less expensive. Charlie is also satisfied with the backup role, and my belief is that he wants to retire a Steeler.

Do I believe Byron can lead a team to the playoffs as a starter?? Not really, unless that team has a good D. He's an average starter who's neither elite nor a bottom feeder. Somewhat like Kerry Collins from the standpoint that they can win you games, but are not the franchise QB you build an offense around. His best bet is to find a team that needs him to manage the offense for a couple years and tutor his replacement.

Tom

aries4972
02-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Yeah, thanks. I already said KC and as for the Jets.........I think Favre is gonna unretire again. :rofl:

... yeah but then he'll retire after he unretires again after retiring... but of course he won't announce it till 10min before the first regular season game:toofunny:

lilyoder6
02-12-2009, 12:35 PM
the steelers could do what the packers did with williams last yr.. slap the tag on lefty, then trade his ass to a team like the cheifs,bears or w/e 4 a decent draft pick

steelreserve
02-12-2009, 12:45 PM
the steelers could do what the packers did with williams last yr.. slap the tag on lefty, then trade his ass to a team like the cheifs,bears or w/e 4 a decent draft pick

Oh yeah ... because I'm sure we want to risk getting into THAT whole mess over what may or may not yield us a fourth-round draft pick who we probably won't have room for on the roster anyway.

HometownGal
02-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Dallas will be signing a backup this offseason.

I don't think Lefty is interested in a backup position - his stock went up from his stellar play this season when he's had to come in for Ben and the Steelers winning the SB. If he is a backup anywhere, it will be with the Steelers, as he said himself that he loves playing here. Hell - Batch has been making $2 mil a season and he isn't half the QB Lefty is.

I can see Lefty wearing the green and white next season as a Jet.

AllD
02-12-2009, 05:22 PM
LW should take another 1 year deal for another chance at a ring. It is a slight gamble, but he can probably survive on $1-$3 million. Then if the salary cap becomes obsolete he might actually make more $.

Shoes
02-12-2009, 05:53 PM
I think he will stay with the Steelers :thumbsup:

lilyoder6
02-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Oh yeah ... because I'm sure we want to risk getting into THAT whole mess over what may or may not yield us a fourth-round draft pick who we probably won't have room for on the roster anyway.

even if it's a 4th rd pick.. thats more than we would get if he leaves on his own.. and then they could use that extra 4th in a trade bundle...

they don't nec need to put a franchise tag on him.. put a transition tag on him, and still let other teams make him a offer... i rather get lil than nothing out of him

SteelersMongol
02-13-2009, 08:56 AM

U mean "What have U done 4 me lately?" :chuckle: I think couple of years ago, U wouldn't say a same thing about James Harrison & Y he was cut several times. Would ya? :wink02:

Fire Haley
02-13-2009, 10:24 AM
IWill Batch be healthy enough to regain his position next year?

He just had broken collarbone. He should be fine, if his brittle old bones don't take too many hits.

Charlie Batch-QB- Steelers Feb. 6

Charlie Batch is reportedly amenable to returning to the Steelers as a backup.

Batch and Byron Leftwich are both free agents, with Leftwich seeking a chance to start elsewhere. Though Batch has plenty of experience in the offense, he doesn't have Leftwich's upside. The Steelers can probably do better, but it may not be a priority with Dennis Dixon being groomed as the eventual No. 2.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFl&id=655