PDA

View Full Version : Change of scenery

SteelersWyo
01-04-2006, 10:07 AM
With all the hearbreak losing AFC Championships in Pittsburgh do you think taking the show on the road will have a better result?

83-Steelers-43
01-04-2006, 10:25 AM
Our record on the road in the playoffs under Bill Cowher is not something to exactly write home about. While it seems this season on the road we have played better, it's completely different come playoff time.

For me........the team going into the playoffs this year is better off than the team last year at this point in time. But I don't like the situation (no bye week and on the road) we are in this year, playing against numerous teams with excellent talent (Cincy, NE, Indy, Denver). While I will always have hope and faith, I'm not jumping on the phone and calling Vegas.

Grey
01-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Well, the outcome can't be worse. :smile:

Considering how strong we have been on the road in the last couple years, I think we have a good shot. John Riggins was talking about the Steelers being "road dogs" yesterday on Sirius NFL Radio. He argued that a strong road team can get even stronger in the playoffs because there are no extra playoff distractions that come with a home playoff game (such as getting family and friends tickets, home press, and wiping the snot from your kid's nose at home); instead, he said, the whole agenda is laid out for you and you only have to concentrate on the game.

When discussing road-warrior-type teams another time, he said they always have an "us against the world" attitude and won't let the little things bother them. It's cold on the plane? So what. The hotel rooms are screwed up? So what. The dinner buffet sucks? So what. The locker room is small? So what. The opposing fans are loud? SO WHAT.

I think the Steelers have as good of a chance as any other team in there to win the AFC, even considering that they need to win 3 road games to get to the Super Bowl. It's a formidable task, but the change of scenery just might be the answer.

Here we go.

Grey

Prosdo
01-04-2006, 10:41 AM
With this team it could help. I think they feed off adversity. Plus this team is getting hot at the right time, unlike other years.

Suitanim
01-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Some fun facts about this game:

-Steelers are 6-0 against divisional foe's in the playoffs, outscoring opponents 179-93.
-Cowher is 8-9 in the playoff's, 8-5 at home, 0-3 on the road and 0-1 nuetral (Super Bowl)
-The Steelers have never played a playoff game in the state of Ohio
-The Steelers are 1-3 as a Wild Card team in the playoffs
-Cowher is 20-8 against the Bungals overall

Steel - X
01-04-2006, 12:32 PM
-Cowher is 20-8 against the Bungals overall

Thats all I need to see.

I think this one will be one of the best games of the playoffs.

BB2W
01-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Well, the outcome can't be worse. :smile: Grey
Exactly... I don't know if the result will be any better, but I'm willing to give it a shot. We have definitely played better on the road this season.

clevestinks
01-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Since we have no other choice, I like it this way. One reason for Cowhers playoff road record is the road team is suppose to be the weaker of the two teams. It doesn`t seem so this year. We are favored against the Bengals. And we are only 11-5 because of injuries.
If we beat Cinci! We won`t be favored in Indy! But if we were to knock off Indy, then we could be favorites the rest of the way

SteelerFanInCA
01-04-2006, 04:43 PM
I like our chances on the road. If there is any team out there that can pull this off, it's ours. We need to play with the same mentality that we have been playing with the last few weeks and everything will be fine. Go Steelers!!!!

bengalsfan21
01-04-2006, 05:21 PM
If the Bengals seen the news and Newspapers from Pitts I don't think it will be an easy game for the Steelers..............Pittsburgh has wrote them off as a win and only talk about playing Indy next week thats a no no.............Also it will be hard to win in the jungle playing the Bengals in their first playoff game in 15 years, they will show they deserved it.

Suitanim
01-04-2006, 05:30 PM
The Bengals have so little playoff experience that the combined pressure of actually making the playoffs, coupled with the fact that they are playing a better team than them all while trying to please a home crowd will make this a very rough game for the Bungals indeed...