PDA

View Full Version : Good special teams coaching by Ligashesky

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2009, 05:29 PM
I know a lot of people on this board were hard on the guy after a crappy season last year. I too was worried that he didnt have a track record of success with the Rams before coming to the burgh.

Gotta give the guy credit with his coverage teams. He just never had a solid returner all season and the return game was just average, but hopefully that will improve in 2009. :thumbsup: Good job coach Ligs!!

stillers4me
02-12-2009, 05:44 PM
I was impressed with the improvement this year. Maybe this Canadian guy they just signed will be the answer for returns.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2009, 05:58 PM
I was impressed with the improvement this year. Maybe this Canadian guy they just signed will be the answer for returns.

He actually is an American (From Florida I think) He just played a year in the Canadian league.

steelreserve
02-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Mainly, I was just happy we didn't give up many big returns, which has absolutely murdered us at times. Although there were a couple moments like that in the playoffs when I nearly had a heart attack.

As far as returning goes, as long as we didn't do a repeat of the Colclough-Holmes Fumble Machine Disaster of Aught Six, it's good enough for me. We don't need Devin Hester back there to make me happy.

tyler289
02-12-2009, 07:07 PM
We had some trouble at the end of the year (Breaston return, Sproles had a big KO return, Leonard had his), but generally they were really good.

I imagine Sepulveda back will mean longer kicks, more time for guys to get down the field. No more Berger.

tony hipchest
02-12-2009, 07:52 PM
no td's given up.

no muffs or fumbles (santonio came close).

mission accomplished (for this year anyways).

tomlin gave him a few toys to play with- madison, fox, and allowing him to use the defensive mvp.

lets hope the same for larry z.

HometownGal
02-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Overall, I was quite happy with the progression our ST's made this season. I think Ligashesky did a very good job overall. :thumbsup: I am very anxious to see what Logan can do as a return man and no one will be happier to see Sep back than me. :tt02:

stillers4me
02-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Overall, I was quite happy with the progression our ST's made this season. I think Ligashesky did a very good job overall. :thumbsup: I am very anxious to see what Logan can do as a return man and no one will be happier to see Sep back than me. :tt02:

(cough cough).......ummmmmmm.........me, too. :chuckle:

The Duke
02-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Just resign Fox and Madison and the coverage will continue being great. Rookie Bailey did a great job too

Props to Ligashansky, but players deserve it too

I think he'll find his return man in Logan. If not in the draft....

wootawnee
02-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Fox and Madison were all over the place....Russel and Davis came up big too on the
kickoffs.....They hit like backers...........

steelpride12
02-12-2009, 08:31 PM
You can't complain compared to last seasons miscues, even with a poor kick off return game the overall was a much improved system. No returned TD's mission accomplished. Lets get some good returners on kick offs and we will be set.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Props to Ligashansky, but players deserve it too

.... Sorry Duke. This is the part I disagree with. Last season when coverage teams and return teams were poor......its the coaches fault. Now when they are significantly better, the players get the credit. :banging:

I give Ligashesky 80% of the credit for coaching those guys up and getting them in the right positions to perform. :thumbsup:

steelreserve
02-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Sorry Duke. This is the part I disagree with. Last season when coverage teams and return teams were poor......its the coaches fault. Now when they are significantly better, the players get the credit. :banging:

I give Ligashesky 80% of the credit for coaching those guys up and getting them in the right positions to perform. :thumbsup:

If that's the case, the other 20% should go to Fox, because he was everywhere this season. Pretty much every time there was an important tackle, a fumble, or any big play on special teams, it seemed like he was in the middle of it.

Also, another 20% should go to Holmes for going back there again on punts and giving us our first real threat since Randle El, and also not fumbling this time. Yes, I realize that's giving out 120% credit now, but since we improved from abysmal to above-average, I think it's merited.

Galax Steeler
02-15-2009, 06:57 AM
I don't see how anyone can complaing about our special teams this year.They were a 100% better then last year.Props to the players and coaches for special teams.

stillers4me
02-15-2009, 07:55 AM
All in all, I think all 3 aspects of this Steelers team came through to bring this championship home. It took the O line a little longer to show some force but they came through when it mattered the most. Nice job, team!

steelballs
02-17-2009, 07:28 AM

Having Sepulveda back will be huge!
The Berger experiment only proved that my heart is in better shape than I thought.