PDA

View Full Version : as a pirate fan

kingkulsteel
02-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I always get excited about the season. however this year I know its going to be tough. a question mark at 6 of the 8 every day positions and lets face it pitching won't be great either. Do we think Cutch will make the team this year? With this down baseball economy we should be spending a little

Benzbrother
02-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I always get excited about the season. however this year I know its going to be tough. a question mark at 6 of the 8 every day positions and lets face it pitching won't be great either. Do we think Cutch will make the team this year? With this down baseball economy we should be spending a little

I really don't have high hopes for this year either. All indications are, barring an unbelievable performance in spring training, Cutch probably won't be up (at least until late) this season. I don't know what they have to lose, I wish they would just start him in the majors. They keep saying that he isn't developed yet, but isn't that kind of their fault? Just give the kid a shot

steelpride12
02-12-2009, 09:43 PM
As a pirates fan here as well love the start of a season but about 10 straight losses later i realize the sad truth.

T.Richardson
02-14-2009, 10:37 AM
have some faith guys! The Pirates will be getting better soon!

SteelCityMan786
02-14-2009, 11:15 AM
have some faith guys! The Pirates will be getting better soon!

They'll start winning eventually. (Just hopefully that happens before I am 6 ft. in the ground)

Benzbrother
02-14-2009, 12:18 PM
They'll start winning eventually. (Just hopefully that happens before I am 6 ft. in the ground)

lol yea thats the problem....we don't know when "eventually" is haha

SteelCityKing
02-14-2009, 12:23 PM
i have nothing but love for the Pittsburgh Pirates. but i know the sad truth that they pretty much suck. SO, with that said, i will be attending a ot of the games this year in hopes that we can atleast break .500 and snap "The Curse of the Bonds-Bino." because the Pirates haven't been the same since Bonds left. haha!

T.Richardson
02-14-2009, 12:43 PM
i have nothing but love for the Pittsburgh Pirates. but i know the sad truth that they pretty much suck. SO, with that said, i will be attending a ot of the games this year in hopes that we can atleast break .500 and snap "The Curse of the Bonds-Bino." because the Pirates haven't been the same since Bonds left. haha!

well, he couldnt throw out that slowest man on earth Sid Bream who score the game winning run for the Braves!! :mad:

SteelCityKing
02-14-2009, 12:45 PM
well, he couldnt throw out that slowest man on earth Sid Bream who score the game winning run for the Braves!! :mad:

haha! i love when my friends and family all sit down and talk Pirates and everybody mentions the name Sid Bream and people get FURIOUS! i love it! haha!

but in the same sense, it sucks because that was our last little glimmer of hope and things haven't been the same since. =(

T.Richardson
02-14-2009, 12:52 PM
haha! i love when my friends and family all sit down and talk Pirates and everybody mentions the name Sid Bream and people get FURIOUS! i love it! haha!

but in the same sense, it sucks because that was our last little glimmer of hope and things haven't been the same since. =(

but...what about the freak show team of '97? they were like 5 games out of .500 and close to the playoffs. That would have been our last hope.

SteelCityKing
02-14-2009, 01:35 PM
but...what about the freak show team of '97? they were like 5 games out of .500 and close to the playoffs. That would have been our last hope.

you are correct kind sir. so many years of dismal playing has made me lose my memory on that one. good point. =)

Benzbrother
02-14-2009, 01:40 PM

lol at this point I would give my left arm to see the Pirates finish 5 games under .500 haha

SteelCityKing
02-14-2009, 01:50 PM
lol at this point I would give my left arm to see the Pirates finish 5 games under .500 haha

even with your left arm missing you could probably still be a better pitcher for the Pirates than what we have now! haha!

Hawkeye
02-14-2009, 02:03 PM
been a pirates fan longer than a steelers fan, the great roberto clemente and those Danny Murtaugh Pirates of the early 70 were demi-gods to me.

I know longer look forward to spring eternal hope.

SteelCityKing
02-14-2009, 02:10 PM
been a pirates fan longer than a steelers fan, the great roberto clemente and those Danny Murtaugh Pirates of the early 70 were demi-gods to me.

I know longer look forward to spring eternal hope.

i was born in 1982. i had no idea who Clemente was but i knew ALL about him from my grandfather. being born in Pittsburgh you gather information over the years about who certain players are and what they've accomplished, and i got all of that from my grandfather about the Pirates. which is why i'm such a fan. they do have a rich history and one of the oldest franchises in baseball. i love that about them.

the Pirates are a drama free club without prima donnas and media wh*res and they have some of the most rabid fans in the league. everytime i go to a game i see the SAME people and we always have things to talk about. the same fans over and over because they know the day will come when we get our chance and we will continue to strive towards greatness.

aside from collecting Steelers memorabilia, i collect A LOT of Pirates stuff too. but i have something that not a lot of people have and something i don't have pertaining to the Steelers...a Pirates tattoo. i don't know many diehards like that.

X-Terminator
02-14-2009, 02:16 PM

That '97 team was the most fun I've had as a Pirates fan in the last 16 years. That team worked their asses off every single night, and the "Let's Go To Work" slogan they had back then summed them up perfectly. If the Pirates just gave me that - a team low on talent but big on heart - I'd be happy, even if they didn't get to .500. Maybe we'll see that now that they have all of these young players.

SteelCityKing
02-14-2009, 02:21 PM
That '97 team was the most fun I've had as a Pirates fan in the last 16 years. That team worked their asses off every single night, and the "Let's Go To Work" slogan they had back then summed them up perfectly. If the Pirates just gave me that - a team low on talent but big on heart - I'd be happy, even if they didn't get to .500. Maybe we'll see that now that they have all of these young players.

i'd be happy just going to the game. i LOVE going to games. i have a new found respect for baseball after seeing live games in PNC Park. it's gorgeous there and it's cheap. except for the beer! ha!

T.Richardson
02-14-2009, 05:59 PM
That '97 team was exciting, though its not common to see a team full of rookies, and veterns making a run for the playoffs.

In my opinion, PNC park is the most beautiful park in baseball, even ESPN agrees! (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stadiums)

pittsburghp8baller
02-14-2009, 06:52 PM

i actually think cutch has a great chance of making the team, as im not solid on Morgan. i cant believe Pedro Alvarez is already on the spring training roster and he hasnt even played pro ball.

i always get excited this time of year, but it never lasts. i get more excited for spring training and seeing the younger players.

this is how i honestly see the lineup being next year

C Ryan Doumit- Thats a given
1B Adam LaRoche- Another given, hoping he doesnt have ANOTHER slow start
2B Freddy Sanchez- Given
3B Eric Hinske- shouldnt be too hard to overtake Andy LaRoche, even though they said Laroche will have the benefit of the doubt
SS Jack Wilson- Given, prob his last season there
LF Nyjer Morgan- like i said im not sold on Morgan and McCutchen could very well be close to taking over by middle to late of the season
CF Nate McLouth- Given, our only all-star from last year
RF Brandon Moss/Craig Monroe- down to these too, i can see both platooning, Monroe prob would play against tougher lefties or all lefties

Rotation
1. Paul Maholm- Team's Ace
2. Ian Snell- hoping for him to return to 2006 form
3. Tom Gorzelanny- if he comes back healthy and rested could be our number 2
4. Ross Ohlendorf- didnt play great but i think good enough to earn him a spot
5. Zach Duke- i really do NOT LIKE Duke but Jimmy Barthmaier def wont beat Duke out, the only way Duke is beatten out is if Daniel McCutchen shows up

SC Steeler Steve
02-14-2009, 07:00 PM
I never have been able to fully understand what happened after "92", I mean the Pirates were (in my opinion) the best team in the NL "90", and "91". I believe the Braves were the best in "92" but why the drop off without ever being able to come back. i am a Big Braves fan but due to my Steeler faithfulness i have always had a warm spot in my heart for the Pirates.

T.Richardson
02-14-2009, 07:24 PM
i actually think cutch has a great chance of making the team, as im not solid on Morgan. i cant believe Pedro Alvarez is already on the spring training roster and he hasnt even played pro ball.

i always get excited this time of year, but it never lasts. i get more excited for spring training and seeing the younger players.

this is how i honestly see the lineup being next year

C Ryan Doumit- Thats a given
1B Adam LaRoche- Another given, hoping he doesnt have ANOTHER slow start
2B Freddy Sanchez- Given
3B Eric Hinske- shouldnt be too hard to overtake Andy LaRoche, even though they said Laroche will have the benefit of the doubt
SS Jack Wilson- Given, prob his last season there
LF Nyjer Morgan- like i said im not sold on Morgan and McCutchen could very well be close to taking over by middle to late of the season
CF Nate McLouth- Given, our only all-star from last year
RF Brandon Moss/Craig Monroe- down to these too, i can see both platooning, Monroe prob would play against tougher lefties or all lefties

Rotation
1. Paul Maholm- Team's Ace
2. Ian Snell- hoping for him to return to 2006 form
3. Tom Gorzelanny- if he comes back healthy and rested could be our number 2
4. Ross Ohlendorf- didnt play great but i think good enough to earn him a spot
5. Zach Duke- i really do NOT LIKE Duke but Jimmy Barthmaier def wont beat Duke out, the only way Duke is beatten out is if Daniel McCutchen shows up

I blame Jim Tracy for being an idiot, and changing Dukes delivery. I mean, if he went 8-2 with a 1.80? era.why change what Duke is doing? Its effective! but after Tracy changed his delivery, Duke had a horrible season. All throughout his career before he was called up, Duke completly dominated.

steelerbackr4life
02-14-2009, 08:05 PM
That '97 team was exciting, though its not common to see a team full of rookies, and veterns making a run for the playoffs.

In my opinion, PNC park is the most beautiful park in baseball, even ESPN agrees! (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stadiums)

PNC is beautiful. I am not even going to pretend that I understand what you true Pirate fans are going through. I was born a Yankee fan and when I was a kid I would take the train into the Bronx and see games(Bleacher seats were$5.00 signifigantly less than what I pay now for my families 4 seats ). My fathers best friend was also a bat boy for the 1961 Yankees.

I became a Steeler fan when I was around 7. I went to visit an Uncle in Latrobe Stiller Country! In him and the area I saw the same passion for the black and gold as I was accustomed to seeing for the Pinstripes at home! When I got home I started to follow the Steelers. Even though I did have to hear about the Maz homer to beat the Bombers in the series over the head of my favorite all time Yankee Yogi Berra

I was fortunate to see both the teams that I hold so close to my heart win 6 championships in my young years. Also the succes that both have had since is unprecedented. The are the measurig stick for all teams in both their leagues. My devotion to both has always been unconditional. To the point that I have equal pictures of the Seelers and Yankees in my "man cave".
The reason I gave you my boring little sports biography is that I love this site and I love talking baseball. I am lokking forward to the upcoming season and talking baseball here. Please know that I have nothing but respect for the fans of the Pirates and nothing I enter will be in any way meant to be other than that. So please dont lump me in with the Yankee fan stereotype. :drink:

X-Terminator
02-14-2009, 08:08 PM
I never have been able to fully understand what happened after "92", I mean the Pirates were (in my opinion) the best team in the NL "90", and "91". I believe the Braves were the best in "92" but why the drop off without ever being able to come back. i am a Big Braves fan but due to my Steeler faithfulness i have always had a warm spot in my heart for the Pirates.

Free agency happened. The Pirates just could not afford to keep all of that talent after 1992. Then after Syd Thrift left as the GM, they've had one bumbling idiot after another, and had absolutely dreadful scouting. On top of that, they couldn't make any money being a small-market team in a money-losing stadium, and salaries escalating out of control in the 90s, they couldn't bring in talent. And for the past 8 years, it's been horrible and cheap-ass management who refuse to spend money even though they make money every year off PNC Park and get money from revenue sharing. But it seems now with Neal Huntington running the show and Bobby Nutjob realizing that scouting and player development actually deserve a little more than a couple of bucks, they're starting to rebuild the system by acquiring and drafting talent. And it's been quality talent - not too many scrubs. Their draft last year was rated as one of the best in the league. They're about to open a facility in the Dominican Republic and they're finally putting scouts in Japan and Korea. But it's still going to be at least 2 years before you see any kind of improvement or contribution from the players they've brought in.

SteelerNut91
02-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Jeez, I didn't realize anybody gave a crap about the Buccos anymore... here's to hoping they get something going... and soon

T.Richardson
02-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Jeez, I didn't realize anybody gave a crap about the Buccos anymore... here's to hoping they get something going... and soon

I think a lot of people do still care. People wouldnt schedule walk outs in the middle of a game or make shirts that hate on the ownerships.

X-Terminator
02-15-2009, 01:00 PM

Of course people still care about the Bucs. There are a lot of great baseball fans in Pittsburgh, myself included, and if this team ever wins again, you'll see that. Our issue is and has always been with ownership, not the team itself.

SteelCityMan786
02-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Free agency happened. The Pirates just could not afford to keep all of that talent after 1992. Then after Syd Thrift left as the GM, they've had one bumbling idiot after another, and had absolutely dreadful scouting. On top of that, they couldn't make any money being a small-market team in a money-losing stadium, and salaries escalating out of control in the 90s, they couldn't bring in talent. And for the past 8 years, it's been horrible and cheap-ass management who refuse to spend money even though they make money every year off PNC Park and get money from revenue sharing. But it seems now with Neal Huntington running the show and Bobby Nutjob realizing that scouting and player development actually deserve a little more than a couple of bucks, they're starting to rebuild the system by acquiring and drafting talent. And it's been quality talent - not too many scrubs. Their draft last year was rated as one of the best in the league. They're about to open a facility in the Dominican Republic and they're finally putting scouts in Japan and Korea. But it's still going to be at least 2 years before you see any kind of improvement or contribution from the players they've brought in.

That's one thing that has changed. Not enough money has been spent, but oh well. They're trying.

Right now this season I have seen some pick them to go as bad as 64-98. I think they'll bust 70 wins. Something like 71-91. If a miracle happens, they'll go 81-81.

X-Terminator
02-16-2009, 10:37 PM
64-98 is a pretty good estimate. I can't see them cracking 70 games even if they bust their asses every night and the pitching is average, because they have next to no offense. McLouth and Adam LaRoche will be the only guys to sniff 20 HRs this season, and no one else will even get 15.

SteelCityMan786
02-16-2009, 10:45 PM
64-98 is a pretty good estimate. I can't see them cracking 70 games even if they bust their asses every night and the pitching is average, because they have next to no offense. McLouth and Adam LaRoche will be the only guys to sniff 20 HRs this season, and no one else will even get 15.

That's more 20 HR hitters then I usually can see. They can't just rely on the long ball either.

KeiselPower99
02-16-2009, 10:55 PM
I will be making my first trip to Pnc Park this year when my Indians come to town. I cant wait for that. With the local minor league team now affliated with the Pirates I guss Ill be more interested in them then before.

SteelCityMan786
02-16-2009, 10:57 PM
I will be making my first trip to Pnc Park this year when my Indians come to town. I cant wait for that. With the local minor league team now affliated with the Pirates I guss Ill be more interested in them then before.

I was stunned. I thought they liked it down in Hickory. I guess that means we can look forward to the Power moving their affiliates through my local Pirates affiliate.

T.Richardson
02-17-2009, 01:36 PM
I predict a 91-71 season for the Bucs! If the pitching improves and the offense starts hitting.

SteelCityKing
02-17-2009, 05:30 PM
I predict a 91-71 season for the Bucs! If the pitching improves and the offense starts hitting.

i can get behind that. i just want to see an above .500 season. that's all. =)

Benzbrother
02-17-2009, 06:36 PM

Unfortunately this seems like a very unrealistic dream to me, although a dream I also share! Lets just hope for the best! Let's go Bucs!!

SteelCityMan786
02-17-2009, 08:01 PM

(In his best Martin Luther King Voice)

I HAVE A DREAM, that one day, Pirates fans of all backgrounds, will walk together to PNC Park during the month of October to see their team compete for a World Championship.

KeiselPower99
02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
I was stunned. I thought they liked it down in Hickory. I guess that means we can look forward to the Power moving their affiliates through my local Pirates affiliate.

I was really suprised as was alot of people around here that Milwaukee pulled out. The Power sent alot of players to them. Anyways with Pittsburgh being the closet MLB team to Charleston its perfect for both parties.

Benzbrother
02-17-2009, 10:40 PM
(In his best Martin Luther King Voice)

I HAVE A DREAM, that one day, Pirates fans of all backgrounds, will walk together to PNC Park during the month of October to see their team compete for a World Championship.

:rofl:

hindes204
03-01-2009, 03:27 PM
I have been a huge prates fan since i was just a small kid.....and i guess i can say i know what the detroit lions fans feel like.........but like i said every year before this one.......THIS IS THE YEAR WE SURPRISE EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS GO BUCS!!!!!!!

steelpride12
03-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Buccos 4-1 preseason so far, pitching and hitting both looking good right now. Hope they ride this into the regualar season.

No matter win or lose, i love going to the beautiful PNC park and just enjoying a wonderful day and hoping for a pirates win!

X-Terminator
03-08-2009, 09:17 PM

Turn those numbers around, and you get what their ACTUAL record will be this season. :wink02:

Anyway, after today's dismantling of the Astros, the Bucs are now 8-3 in Spring Training. Their pitching has looked decent, and they're starting to hit the ball a bit. Still a long way to go, and of course Spring Training means squat when the regular season starts.

Edman
03-08-2009, 11:16 PM
A 91-71 record for the Pirates would be a dream come true. Even if they don't make the playoffs.

Hey, it's the offseason. Optimism should be high for anyone. Even Pirate fans. I mean, the Rays and Brewers finally managed to be successful, why not the Bucs?