PDA

View Full Version : Steelers looking to keep Harrison

mesaSteeler
02-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Steelers looking to keep Harrison
By James Walker
ESPN.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3901795
As James Harrison continues to celebrate his success in Super Bowl XLIII, the Pittsburgh Steelers are working hard behind the scenes to secure their two-time Pro Bowl linebacker.

The Steelers are actively negotiating a pay raise and contract extension, according to Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, with the sides having discussions as often as twice a day.

"It's been a very open process, and it's going about the way you would expect," Parise said. "So I think everything is moving along."

Harrison was arguably the league's biggest bargain in 2008 with an annual salary of $1.2 million. He registered 101 tackles, 16 sacks, seven forced fumbles and was named the NFL's defensive player of the year.

Harrison's memorable 100-yard interception return also helped lead Pittsburgh to its sixth Super Bowl title with a 27-23 victory over the Arizona Cardinals.

The Steelers have a number of other key veterans who are due to become free agents in 2010. The list of players with one year remaining on their contracts includes receiver Hines Ward, tight end Heath Miller, safety Ryan Clark and nose tackle Casey Hampton.

But it's apparent they are making Harrison, 30, the team's first and biggest priority. Parise said he's confident both sides will reach an agreement this offseason.

"Certainly the Steelers didn't win six Super Bowls by not knowing what they're doing," Parise said. "I'm sure they understand exactly what they have and where they're going with James' situation."

James Walker covers the AFC North for ESPN.com.

PisnNapalm
02-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Pay the man. He's worth every penny.

The salary cap is at $124 million this coming season.

TackleMeBen
02-12-2009, 10:20 PM
he has earned a pay raise. at least the steelers are trying to negotiate a new contract with him.

lilyoder6
02-12-2009, 10:38 PM
prob be a 3-4 yr deal they are trying to make

NEPAsteeler
02-12-2009, 10:40 PM
He's certainly proven his worth to this team! Sign the man! :tt02:

mesaSteeler
02-12-2009, 10:42 PM
They should keep him since he is a "young" 30 year old player. After all he was cut four times so for those season his body did not take the abuse that it would have had he been playing.

HometownGal
02-12-2009, 10:42 PM
This one's a no-brainer and I'm sure the Steelers and Silverback will reach an agreement in short order. The guy has earned the big payday - give it to him already! :hatsoff:

Preacher
02-12-2009, 11:05 PM
I agree we need to give him a payday... but we DO need to be careful to not undercut ourselves with some of the other contracts coming up.

I still think we gotta go out and get ourselves a lineman in FA.

tyler289
02-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Next year we have to re-sign Hines, Heath, Clark, and Silverback. Best to get at least one of them locked up now, and that one should be Harrison.

NEPAsteeler
02-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Next year we have to re-sign Hines, Heath, Clark, and Silverback. Best to get at least one of them locked up now, and that one should be Harrison.

I forgot about the other guys that need to be signed. I know the Front Office will do the right thing! These are some of, if not, the most valuable players on our team!

Stu Pidasso
02-13-2009, 12:32 AM
I have one piece of advice for the Steelers:

Would YOU want to play against him?

tony hipchest
02-13-2009, 12:50 AM
better to not overpay our current (sub par) o-lineman, than to lose harrison.

would anyone wanna lose ben or troy in favor of keeping max starx?

would anyone rather have faneca?

as much as i believe in protecting ben, harrison (and the rest of the D) may be some of the best "protection" he can get.

harrison 1st. miller and clark next.

Galax Steeler
02-13-2009, 04:42 AM
Harrison is a must sign the man is a beast. He deserves a pay raise,the man makes plays after plays we need to lock him up a few more years.

SamUK
02-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Its a no brainer... Just has to be done, give that man his payday!

steelreserve
02-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Like I said before, just use the money we were giving Starks to sign him, and that way we can afford it and everyone's happy.

Except Starks, but screw him.

Phoenixus
02-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Well,
I'm not that worried. The Steelers signed Harrison to starter money back when he was still playing from the Bench when Porter was still the starter.

Harrison came up as a restricted free agent, and instead of paying him backup money, they paid him starter money for his last contract even though he was sitting the bench. I'm sure Harrison and his agent remember that, I remember the comments at the time that his agent came out of the negotiations smiling, and Harrison was very happy they were willing to do that, because he didn't ask for it and didn't expect it.

Steelers had a good eye on this one all the while. So a good, long term contract is easily forseeable in the future.

Both are likely to be very amenable to the other. Harrison won't forget being paid starter money from the bench, and the Steelers aren't going to forget how Harrison rewarded them for taking a chance on him way back when by paying him even when they didn't have to.