PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign 10 players to offseason roster

mesaSteeler
02-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Steelers sign 10 players to offseason roster
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09043/948760-66.stm
The Steelers today announced the signing of 10 players to their offseason roster.

Seven of them were on their practice squad last season:

WR Dallas Baker, C/G Doug Legursky, CB Roy Lewis, S Ryan Mundy, TE Dezmond Sherrod, RB Justin Vincent and LB Donovan Woods.

Three new players signed are RB Stefan Logan, WR Brandon Williams and FB Ryan Powdrell.

Logan (5-7, 185) rushed for 889 yards on 122 carries (7.3 avg.) and caught 52 passes for 477 yards (9.2 avg.) and three TDs in 2008 with the British Columbia Lions of the Canadian Football League. He signed with the B.C. Lions as a free agent in May of 2008 after spending time in 2007 on the Miami Dolphins practice squad as an undrafted rookie out of South Dakota. The 27-year-old Logan spent five years out of football before enrolling at South Dakota in 2003.

Williams (5-11, 170) played in 23 NFL games with the San Francisco 49ers and St. Louis Rams from 2006-07. He was released by the Rams prior to the 2008 regular season and did not play with another team. Williams was selected in the third round (84th overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft by the 49ers after a college career at Wisconsin. He signed with the Rams as a free agent in October of 2007. Williams has returned 35 punts for 245 yards (7.0 avg.) and 38 kickoffs for 888 yards (23.4 avg.) during his NFL career.

Powdrell (5-11, 254) originally signed as an undrafted rookie with the Green Bay Packers in 2007 but was released prior to the regular season. The 25-year old Powdrell, who played in college at Southern California, spent a week on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' practice squad in 2008.

First published on February 12, 2009 at 4:40 pm

NEPAsteeler
02-12-2009, 10:48 PM
It's good to see the off-season has started.

Is it September yet?

tyler289
02-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Williams was a 3rd round pick, so he at least has some talent. See a trend with Logan and Williams? both for returning.

Powdrell looks like a big boy. A possible true FB?

NEPAsteeler
02-12-2009, 11:41 PM
We can definitely use a consistent and reliable returner. I was very impressed in our STs this year but we couldn't return kick-offs if our lives depended on it.

SaskSteeler
02-12-2009, 11:44 PM
ya logan will most likely have to be a returner, he was an explosive play kinda guy here in canada but he is way too small to be an actual runningback in the NFL. But he does have the talent to be a very good returner

Sharkissle29
02-13-2009, 12:09 AM
ya logan will most likely have to be a returner, he was an explosive play kinda guy here in canada but he is way too small to be an actual runningback in the NFL. But he does have the talent to be a very good returner

can he punt return too? (no offense to santonio, jw but i guess it would be nice to find a punt returner to keep holmes healthy)

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-13-2009, 12:31 AM
Agree Let Someone 1 Else Return Kicks So Holmes KAn Stay Healthy!

StainlessStill
02-13-2009, 01:15 AM
I guess this Logan guy is the real deal.. esp to be looked at for kick returns. Looking forward to see what he's got.

SunshineMan21
02-13-2009, 03:56 AM
Yay! A FB!

Galax Steeler
02-13-2009, 04:32 AM
Between Williams and Logan it would be nice to find a good returner. It would be nice to get the ball in good field position an d not inside the 20 yard line all the time.
I would like to see more of Mundy and see what he has maybe we can work him into the rotation some this year.

lilyoder6
02-13-2009, 08:58 AM
We can definitely use a consistent and reliable returner. I was very impressed in our STs this year but we couldn't return kick-offs if our lives depended on it.

i don't know what games u were watching but.... most of the time davis or russell go the ball past the 20 yrd line.. thats pretty good on starting the drive at

Dino 6 Rings
02-13-2009, 09:37 AM
i don't know what games u were watching but.... most of the time davis or russell go the ball past the 20 yrd line.. thats pretty good on starting the drive at

Thank you, I was about to say the same exact thing. Ranked 10th on returns this season in the entire NFL. That's not horrible.

NEPAsteeler
02-13-2009, 09:42 AM

I understand that, but until Santonio returned that punt in the playoffs, did we return one single punt or kick-off for a TD? If we did and I'm wrong, then I'll stand corrected. I know it's about field position but to be able to return one all the way is nice too.

The Duke
02-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Ty carter will be 34 next season. Would be nice if they can start finding a replacement. But the man can still play

I understand that, but until Santonio returned that punt in the playoffs, did we return one single punt or kick-off for a TD? If we did and I'm wrong, then I'll stand corrected. I know it's about field position but to be able to return one all the way is nice too.

No turnovers and decent field position. Much better than past years :noidea:

revefsreleets
02-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Could Powdrell be the next....

Can I say it?

Should I say it?

Could he be the next Kuhn???

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2009, 11:20 AM

The problem is that both of those players are likely to be gone. Honestly, Russell was good in returns..........Davis sucked. With some of the blocking that was there, a good KR would have had us ranked in the top 5 in returns.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Baker, Woods, Mundy, Lewis all have a chance to make the roster. Logan and Williams will audition to be the PR/KR and at least this Powdrell has some pedigree as a FB at USC before breaking his leg.

Here is a video link of Powdrell breaking his leg at USC. Note that its a bit graphic. http://usc.fandome.com/video/72629/Leg-Injury-Ends-Powdrells-Season/

steelreserve
02-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Williams was a 3rd round pick, so he at least has some talent. See a trend with Logan and Williams? both for returning.

Unless something has changed dramatically since I saw him with the 49ers, Williams is garbage. Pure, uninspiring, unadulterated garbage. Probably the only thing going for him is that since he played on such awful teams, the opponents have kicked off to him a lot.

Always remember, he wasn't even good enough to make the 49ers.

Although I do agree it's good that we're at least bringing in returners. Russell did a good consistent job at getting the ball out to the 20-30 yard line, but wasn't a threat to do much more than that.

stlrtruck
02-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Could Powdrell be the next....

Can I say it?

Should I say it?

Could he be the next Kuhn???

You do realize that this could be considered blasphemy!! :toofunny:

lilyoder6
02-13-2009, 01:32 PM

i would rather take the field pos evry time then someone trying to take it to the house all the time and get stopped well b4 the 20... a nice td on sp teams is nice.. but i would take consistancy than hoping 2 break 1

lilyoder6
02-13-2009, 01:34 PM
The problem is that both of those players are likely to be gone. Honestly, Russell was good in returns..........Davis sucked. With some of the blocking that was there, a good KR would have had us ranked in the top 5 in returns.

yea.. u are right.. unless russell some how stays till mendenhall proves he can run, which he prob will...

hopefully the logan kid or williams could be a nice returner.. and if not.. i will still pimp derrick williams :flap:

theplatypus
02-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Powdrell looks like a big boy. A possible true FB?

5'-11" 254lbs he's a freaking Mack truck.

KeiselPower99
02-13-2009, 08:10 PM
I hope Mundy and Legursky make the roster. Also any news on a Qb signing? Usually they add a guy this time of year.

lilyoder6
02-13-2009, 11:42 PM
I hope Mundy and Legursky make the roster. Also any news on a Qb signing? Usually they add a guy this time of year.

well if anthony smith does not re-sign.. then i think mundy will take his spot... but then we still need 2 get another safety b/c carter is a short dinosaur

The Duke
02-14-2009, 12:23 AM
well if anthony smith does not re-sign.. then i think mundy will take his spot... but then we still need 2 get another safety b/c carter is a short dinosaur

so you want to replace a great backup cause he's short? :doh:

I agree that a future replacement is needed, but only because of ty's age, nothing to do with his height. It's not like he's a qb, he's done a great job despite being a "short dinosaur"

lilyoder6
02-14-2009, 11:02 AM
so you want to replace a great backup cause he's short? :doh:

I agree that a future replacement is needed, but only because of ty's age, nothing to do with his height. It's not like he's a qb, he's done a great job despite being a "short dinosaur"

IT'S CALLED describing a noun.... or a adjective :banging: i was just giving more detail to carter... never said that him being short was a reason.... the object was AGE...

i could care less if the man was 6' 2''... he is still old and needs 2 be replaced...

KeiselPower99
02-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Mundy will replace Smith. Trust me. Also Legursky replaces Parquet.