PDA

View Full Version : A key ingredient that sticks out in the '08 season.

StainlessStill
02-13-2009, 01:56 PM
In Tomlin's first year as coach, we all know how it all played out during the end of the '07 season as the players were completely gassed during the final stretch. Tomlin needed to put his stamp on the team and pounded them to death his first year as Chief. The result? Losing 5 of the last 8 games of the season, including the Wild Card playoff against the Jags.

This year we won the last 9 out of 10 games all the way to the Superbowl. The difference? Mike Tomlin believin' in his players, and his players believin in him. During the Cowher years you had the sense of the players not showing up in big games, or in first half of games regardless of who we were playing. So far during the Tomlin era, and esp. during this season, you felt the sense that we were over looking nobody and never came out sleeping, and if we did, there was going to be hell to pay.

Recognizing this fact leads me to believe that with Tomlin at the helm, we will look past noone and will keep the "never say die" or " I didn't hear no bell" or the "killer instinct" attitude, and I think with this mentality, we will make more runs at the Lombardi sooner than you think.

SuzyPeppercorn
02-13-2009, 02:47 PM
The thing that stuck out in my mind was how Tomlin reacted after Fitz got the go ahead score in the superbowl. He didn't throw a tantrum. He didn't get pissed off. He clapped as his defense left the field and started preparing the offense.

This guy expects to win every game and it shows. I love his demeanor and the way he reacts.

Steelcitygal87
02-13-2009, 02:57 PM
The thing that stuck out in my mind was how Tomlin reacted after Fitz got the go ahead score in the superbowl. He didn't throw a tantrum. He didn't get pissed off. He clapped as his defense left the field and started preparing the offense.

This guy expects to win every game and it shows. I love his demeanor and the way he reacts.

Yep, he didn't show any signs of panic. On ESPN the other day they showed the highlights of the super bowl and what some of the players were saying on the sidelines during the game. After the Fitz touchdown the camera was on Mike and he said to his players(something along the lines of)... "if they're going to score, that's when you wanna em to score........EARLY".

StainlessStill
02-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Yep, he didn't show any signs of panic. On ESPN the other day they showed the highlights of the super bowl and what some of the players were saying on the sidelines during the game. After the Fitz touchdown the camera was on Mike and he said to his players(something along the lines of)... "if they're going to score, that's when you wanna em to score........EARLY".

No panic whatsoever. It's almost as if we expected it and welcomed the burden, no problem. 60 minutes of football comes a long way, and no games are won with 2:37 on the clock. We've been doing it all year, and it showed by the way we went out and performed that last drive deep in our zone, and right away against a 1st and 20. We handled it beautifully.

Dino 6 Rings
02-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Tomlin is great. I saw that comment he made about them scoring early. That was so Solid as a head coach. "Good, now we have to time to score out own touchdown" Kind of thinking.

I also like that he doesn't appear to be the kind of guy that's going to have the type of loyalty to players that allows them to walk all over him or get away with crap off the field. Also he will make moves when they are needed when guys start to be unable to perform.

That safety, Smith, with the big mouth, I was a fan of his til he stopped progressing. He hasn't gotten better and can't get on the field, that kid is gone because Tomlin see's him as a piece of the machine that is broken. He doesn't seem like the type that will care when you were drafted or what you did last year. Here and Now, get it done or get out of the way. We roll on with or without you.

StainlessStill
02-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Tomlin is great. I saw that comment he made about them scoring early. That was so Solid as a head coach. "Good, now we have to time to score out own touchdown" Kind of thinking.

I also like that he doesn't appear to be the kind of guy that's going to have the type of loyalty to players that allows them to walk all over him or get away with crap off the field. Also he will make moves when they are needed when guys start to be unable to perform.

That safety, Smith, with the big mouth, I was a fan of his til he stopped progressing. He hasn't gotten better and can't get on the field, that kid is gone because Tomlin see's him as a piece of the machine that is broken. He doesn't seem like the type that will care when you were drafted or what you did last year. Here and Now, get it done or get out of the way. We roll on with or without you.

Agree. He has many great press conferences with awesome punch lines..but the greatest line he's said yet was..

"Every day I come to work I walk past 5 Lombardi Trophy's.. not 5 rushing titles" in the wake of Willies rant to the media of getting away from Steelers' Football.

The mans pure genius the way he words things.

XxKnightxX
02-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Agree. He has many great press conferences with awesome punch lines..but the greatest line he's said yet was..

"Every day I come to work I walk past 5 Lombardi Trophy's.. not 5 rushing titles" in the wake of Willies rant to the media of getting away from Steelers' Football.

Or When Ben started to take weeks off practice because of his shoulder leading to crappy play, till Tomlin said to Ben, either you practice or Byron is starting, Didnt hear one word from Bens shoulder afterwards at all, or even if it got hurt, Ben hobbled his arm to throw good games.

T.Richardson
02-13-2009, 04:32 PM

wrong. he walks by 6 Lombardi trophies. :flap:

StainlessStill
02-13-2009, 05:15 PM
wrong. he walks by 6 Lombardi trophies. :flap:

Touche':tt02:

revefsreleets
02-13-2009, 05:41 PM
He's a clever guy. I like him. We did good with that pick...

I think we had success because Tomlin didn't work his players to death early. Kept them sharp but rested. Kept the majority of the hitting on the field.

Fire Haley
02-13-2009, 06:25 PM
The "key ingredient" is we had no injuries on defense last year.

Pretty much the same on offense too.
They had a few glitches, but nothing major.

lilyoder6
02-13-2009, 06:34 PM
i think that tomlin had the "starters in rdy" actually more rdy 2 step in than last yr.. we had some injuries with the o and line and the whole mess of the rb situation

HometownGal
02-13-2009, 06:59 PM
I like the reference to Tomlin's "killer instinct". :thumbsup: He expects his players to be ready to do battle and play 60 minutes of each and every game. Primadonnas and "emos" aren't in his vocabulary and he challenges his guys to the max to be the best they can be.

I see some qualities in Coach T that I saw in both Noll and Cowher, but when all is said and done - he is his own man and it's his way or the highway. :hatsoff:

StainlessStill
02-13-2009, 10:39 PM
The "key ingredient" is we had no injuries on defense last year.

Pretty much the same on offense too.
They had a few glitches, but nothing major.

Nothin' major is putting it pretty light if you ask me. Bens shoulder was injured in the first game of the season, if Willie wasn't having trouble with his lower half, he'd injure his shoulder and we lost Keisel and McFadden for a signification amount of time.

For some weeks we were down to our 3rd running back on the roster, and lost 2 key parts to the offensive line early. We always dealt with big time injuries, and this year was no exception.