PDA

View Full Version : Here I thought Obama would HELP our reputation overseas.

Preacher
02-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Way to "fix" our reputation Obama!

:doh:

Protectionism... great, what is next, a return to the 18th century trade wars?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/economyNews/idUKTRE51C2FG20090213

Some in canada seem to think Obama is hurting our rep worse with this

Sanger writes about the 'cost of distraction', the past eight years of the wrong war in the wrong place that alienated the beleaguered superpower from those who should have been its allies. Now the threat of increased U.S. protectionism threatens trade wars and the further decay of interdependence. Canada is potentially a part of the Pan American, Euro- American bloc that because of lingering cult of national sovereignty is ineffective. The several countries of Europe have adopted an international flag that they fly in common.. Not so Canada, the U.S.A. and Mexico. One of them especially, to our common peril, resists international agreements as it for too long maintained racial segregation.

http://www.citizen.on.ca/news/2009/0212/columns/026.html

Japan seems quite upset over it.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-02/13/content_10815648.htm

China is quite torqued about it as well.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-02/09/content_10790328.htm

Or did Obama just not understand that "Buy American," when made into a law, equates to protectionism and trade wars...

But it was PALIN who was the big threat because she was inexperienced.

Yes, I know, that idea was jettisoned... but only AFTER A MAJOR INTERNATIONAL UPROAR... which for some reason, the AMERICAN PRESS IS KEEPING QUITE.

xfl2001fan
02-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Wait for it...

<liberal representative> But Bush...blah blah blah...and Palin/McCain would have been worse...blah blah blah

In 5, 4, 3, 2, ....

revefsreleets
02-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Only problem is we don't actually MAKE anything anymore, so, even if Americans would pay a little more for better quality goods (they won't), there's nothing to buy anyway.

This is about 30 years too late.

fansince'76
02-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Only problem is we don't actually MAKE anything anymore, so, even if Americans would pay a little more for better quality goods (they won't), there's nothing to buy anyway.

This is about 30 years too late.

Exactly. We don't make SHIT anymore. Might as well be a "buy Chinese" clause.

Dino 6 Rings
02-13-2009, 05:03 PM

Well we do still make products here in the US, the problem is, because we as a nation have taken it upon ourselves to actually protect the environment, and do our part to not pollute like some other nations (India, China, South America) it is actually so expensive to make safe products on our own soil that the cost is so high when passed on to the consumers that it becomes basically unaffordable.

Whereas other Countries who don't do their part, or take seriously Pollution and doing things the right way, are able to mass produce the same type of products at lower cost because they don't follow any Environmental Guidelines.

Preacher
02-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Well we do still make products here in the US, the problem is, because we as a nation have taken it upon ourselves to actually protect the environment, and do our part to not pollute like some other nations (India, China, South America) it is actually so expensive to make safe products on our own soil that the cost is so high when passed on to the consumers that it becomes basically unaffordable.

Whereas other Countries who don't do their part, or take seriously Pollution and doing things the right way, are able to mass produce the same type of products at lower cost because they don't follow any Environmental Guidelines.

DING DING DING

Throw in the cost of labor from unions driving up wages to exorbitantly high costs, and you have in a nutshell the problem is this nation.

Dino 6 Rings
02-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Its a catch 22, make it here, the right way, for more cost and not be able to sell it to the people because the cost makes it unaffordable and you go out of business because no one buys your product...

or

make the product in a country that doesn't have the high environmental standards and high cost of production, then import it and sell it to the people at a cheap cost, allowing them to afford it, but costing those same potential buyers jobs by having the product manufactured over seas.

Preacher
02-13-2009, 05:09 PM
How sad is it when CHINA has to teach THIS ADMINISTRATION our OWN history?

In the 1930s, sweeping trade wars sharply slashed international trade and contributed heavily to the decade-long Great Depression, as most economists have concluded. The worldwide protectionist tide was triggered by the U.S. Smoot-Hawley act in 1930 that raised tariffs on foreign imports by an average of 20 percent.
"In logical thinking, such a huge mistake will not be repeated," said Zhang Xiaoji. "But today's world trade rules are not perfect ... Politicians can easily turn to protectionism in the wake of rising unemployment amid deepening crisis."

(see last link on original post).

X-Terminator
02-13-2009, 05:11 PM

Yep.

Most of the HDTVs you buy are made where? China. iPod? China. My Toshiba laptop? China, via Taiwan. Even the parts for many American cars are made overseas. Try finding a phone, cable, satellite or ISP that doesn't have most of their customer service call centers going through India. Companies are outsourcing damn near everything because labor costs are so high in this country. Imagine what we'd pay for a computer or TV if most of them were made here. Make sure someone's nearby with smelling salts to wake you up after you faint.

revefsreleets
02-13-2009, 05:25 PM
HDTV's? TV's! All electronics! Even American companies have their stuff manufactured where it's cheap. Hell, many of the electronics on our most sophisticated weaponry are foreign made.

That's why this is just much ado about nothing. We're all in this mess together.

steelwall
02-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Having lived and worked in China for allmost 5 years now I can say it is becomming less profitable to buy from China. The Chinese government has been under pressure for a while to adjust it's currency value, and they have.

When I first arrived here it was $1.00 USD to 8.50RMB, now its $1.00 to 6.82

The time will come when shipping costs and currency exchange rates will make it very difficult to buy Chinese products and have them shipped to North America.

HometownGal
02-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Yep.

Most of the HDTVs you buy are made where? China. iPod? China. My Toshiba laptop? China, via Taiwan. Even the parts for many American cars are made overseas. Try finding a phone, cable, satellite or ISP that doesn't have most of their customer service call centers going through India. Companies are outsourcing damn near everything because labor costs are so high in this country. Imagine what we'd pay for a computer or TV if most of them were made here. Make sure someone's nearby with smelling salts to wake you up after you faint.

Very troubling, but unfortunately, very true. :shake02: I can't remember the last time I bought a product with a "made in the USA" label.

Preacher
02-14-2009, 09:24 PM
I find it ironic that NO ONE who attacked Bush has commented on this thread.

SteelCurtain7
02-14-2009, 11:41 PM
I can hear the crickets chirping still...

SteelCityMan786
02-14-2009, 11:44 PM

It is weird. I guess they have no amo left???

Preacher
02-15-2009, 10:51 AM
I am not sure what is more galling,

the fact that no one wants to take this on, or the fact that the press is completely silent about it.

BTW, anyone read where Obama went home for a 3 day weekend while the URGENT bill sits on his desk unsigned?

Yeah, that same bill that had to be rushed through so fast no one had the ability to read it?

And still, silence from most of the press.

MACH1
02-15-2009, 11:56 AM

the fact that no one wants to take this on, or the fact that the press is completely silent about it.

BTW, anyone read where Obama went home for a 3 day weekend while the URGENT bill sits on his desk unsigned?

Yeah, that same bill that had to be rushed through so fast no one had the ability to read it?

What more do ya expect from amateur hour. :banging:

T.Richardson
02-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Very troubling, but unfortunately, very true. :shake02: I can't remember the last time I bought a product with a "made in the USA" label.

I thought my Roethlisberger jersey was made in the USA, but alas I was disappointed, it was made in Guatemala.

Hammer Of The GODS
02-15-2009, 01:57 PM

Can't blame them for not wanting to admit that they were ignorant and had thier heads deep, DEEP in thier arse!

PisnNapalm
02-15-2009, 02:58 PM

He'll get around to signing the deficit spending bill on Tuesday. :mad:

hindes204
02-15-2009, 08:41 PM

I get alot of information from Fox news, but i also watch alot of the mainstream just to see if they are reporting what is really happening

It is absolutely appauling to me to watch the mainstrean still eat up eveything President Obama says, and not question anything at all....I didnt hear one thing on the mainstream about a 1000 page bill THAT NOBODY WAS GIVEN TIME TO READ!!!!!!!!........UNBELEIVABLE.

WHAT HAPPENED TO AN ADMINISTRATION OF TRANSPERANCY!!!!!!!

JEFF4i
02-15-2009, 08:46 PM
I get alot of information from Fox news, but i also watch alot of the mainstream just to see if they are reporting what is really happening

It is absolutely appauling to me to watch the mainstrean still eat up eveything President Obama says, and not question anything at all....I didnt hear one thing on the mainstream about a 1000 page bill THAT NOBODY WAS GIVEN TIME TO READ!!!!!!!!........UNBELEIVABLE.

WHAT HAPPENED TO AN ADMINISTRATION OF TRANSPERANCY!!!!!!!

FOX News can be pretty redonkulous too, but I admit, if you ignore O'Relly and his lot, its a pretty good channel.

hindes204
02-15-2009, 08:52 PM
FOX News can be pretty redonkulous too, but I admit, if you ignore O'Relly and his lot, its a pretty good channel.

I think Oreilly is great.....but hey, your entitled to your opinion

MACH1
02-15-2009, 08:58 PM

If you don't like Bill then you probly really hate Glen Beck.

hindes204
02-15-2009, 09:08 PM

Glen Beck is awesome too

JEFF4i
02-16-2009, 12:23 AM
I think Oreilly is great.....but hey, your entitled to your opinion

Well, they just buy into the sensationalism and it bugs me.

The whole bit about him not feeling Obama was our President was just absurdity to a whole new level, and he knows otherwise.

MACH1
02-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Well, they just buy into the sensationalism and it bugs me.

Not like the "main stream" media. :rolleyes:

The "real" media's to busy licking sack to report what's really happening to our country.

JEFF4i
02-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Not like the "main stream" media. :rolleyes:

The "real" media's to busy licking sack to report what's really happening to our country.

Did I ever say otherwise?

Problem with most of the media followers is they say, "Well at least they aren't..." There is so little good journalism in the media anymore, and yes, CNN and the rest of them are just as bad.

NPR is slightly liberal, but its the most near the center and objectivity.

Stlrs4Life
02-17-2009, 09:33 PM
DING DING DING

Throw in the cost of labor from unions driving up wages to exorbitantly high costs, and you have in a nutshell the problem is this nation.

You failed to mention greedy Execs and companies imagine that. We need Fair trade, not free trade. And if they are pissed, more power to Obama. You want to make your product over seas, fine, then sell it over there.

Preacher
02-18-2009, 01:31 AM
You failed to mention greedy Execs and companies imagine that. We need Fair trade, not free trade. And if they are pissed, more power to Obama. You want to make your product over seas, fine, then sell it over there.

That attitude is exactly what led us to the great depression courtesy of Smoot-Hawley and protectionism (Interestingly, it was republicans that were protectionist back then, and dems that were free-traders, just another example of how two parties just keep trading positions).