PDA

View Full Version : And The Steelers Select....

steelerdave1969
02-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Duke Robinson, Oklahoma
Height: 6-5. Weight: 330.
Projected 40 Time: 5.28.
Projected Round (2009): 1-2.
1/8/09: Easily an AP All-America first-teamer, Duke Robinson was a monstrous force on a line that was part of one of the greatest offenses in history.

11/2/08: Still the elite guard in this class by a wide distance. He could go in the top 15 if a team is desperate enough for a guard.

5/25/08: Duke Robinson has emerged as the consensus top 2009 guard. He nearly came out a year early, which is rare for a guard.

2007: Duke Robinson, who looks extremely fit for a 330-pound lineman, made a key block for Allen Patrick against Miami's stout defensive front.

These Notes Are Coming From Walterfootball.com

I love this website for its info and hope you enjoy as well.

steelerdave1969
02-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Duke Robinson, Oklahoma
1/8/09: Easily an AP All-America first-teamer, Duke Robinson was a monstrous force on a line that was part of one of the greatest offenses in history.

11/2/08: Still the elite guard in this class by a wide distance. He could go in the top 15 if a team is desperate enough for a guard.

5/25/08: Duke Robinson has emerged as the consensus top 2009 guard. He nearly came out a year early, which is rare for a guard.

2007: Duke Robinson, who looks extremely fit for a 330-pound lineman, made a key block for Allen Patrick against Miami's stout defensive front.

The Steelers must upgrade their offensive line and I know that OT is really the top need, but with most of the Top OT's most likely gone, the next best thing is to get the Best OG in the draft and upgrade their running game and passing game. This is the guy for the job unless C Alex Mack or Max Unger are the choices, I think this is the guy for the Steelers.

lilyoder6
02-13-2009, 11:25 PM
i don't know bout duke anymore... he may not last till us

Steely McSmash
02-14-2009, 11:04 AM
The Steelers must upgrade their offensive line and I know that OT is really the top need, but with most of the Top OT's most likely gone, the next best thing is to get the Best OG in the draft and upgrade their running game and passing game. This is the guy for the job unless C Alex Mack or Max Unger are the choices, I think this is the guy for the Steelers.

I agree about starting OT being out of reach. Need to pick up some developmental players for OT. For OC, OG starting talent should be within reach for both.

Steelcitygal87
02-16-2009, 09:03 AM
..............probably a player no one is even thinking of lol. The pick of Mendenhall was a complete surprise to me(albeit a good one)...I thought for sure they were looking at O-line or CB...one in particular Mike Jenkins.

Havik
02-16-2009, 12:53 PM
I hope the Steelers end up with either Alex Mack or Duke Robinson. I'm hoping for Alex Mack, but I'd be alright with Duke if he is gone. NO to Max Unger, who I hear a lot of people wanting the Steelers to pick. Unger is a zone-blocking lineman who would be a terrible fit for the Steelers, especially with the big nose tackles so common in the AFC North. I wouldn't mind grabbing Fenuki Tuopau or Tyson Jackson in the first round. I've been hearing a lot about Britton, but I haven't seen him play.

My list of who the Steelers should select in the 1st round (in order of BPA, 1st player available)

Alex Mack
Duke Robinson
Fenuki Tuopau
Eben Britton
Tyson Jackson

If for some reason none of these players are on the board at pick 32, then trade down.

steelerdave1969
02-16-2009, 01:38 PM
I hope that if the Steelers do any kind of trading during the 1st round it is UP instead of down. I think it is very Important that the Steelers upgrade their offensive line. I know the Steelers d-line is getting old as well so it wouldnt hurt my feelings at all if we draft that position either. I think alot depends on who the Steelers can keep on their off. line and if they can resign DB Bryant McFadden.

joefootball
02-23-2009, 10:36 AM
My list of who the Steelers should select in the 1st round (in order of BPA, 1st player available)

Alex Mack
Duke Robinson
Fenuki Tuopau
Eben Britton
Tyson Jackson

If for some reason none of these players are on the board at pick 32, then trade down.

throw a few CBs and OT Beatty in there and I think we have a good idea of the big board they probably have

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-23-2009, 12:18 PM
i don't know bout duke anymore... he may not last till us

What do you think of Andy Levitre?? Mayock has him ranked ahead of Robinson on his guard list.

BKAnthem
02-26-2009, 01:04 PM
As long as it's an O-Lineman...It seems like everyone knows their line is week but the Steelers. Last year they needed O-Line help and it seemed they just flat out refused to draft one out of spite...it doesn't help that they already have tn average O-Line coach

steelerdave1969
02-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Duke Robinson, Oklahoma

These Notes Are Coming From Walterfootball.com

I love this website for its info and hope you enjoy as well.

You can also go check this information on Duke and see what ya think, its one of my favorite websites for draft information
http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/og/Duke-Robinson.php

georgedejungle
02-28-2009, 01:42 PM
From what I can read from everyone's responses, it seems there is agreement this year as to what area the Steelers need to concentrate with in the NFL draft 2009. The offensive line is the achilles heal, so to speak, and it needs instant revamping.

I like both Duke Robinson OG and Alex Mack C/OG in the first round, especially if a decent OT is not available at #32 overall. I would not reach for an OT in round 1, but would consider trading up if necessary.

As it stands now, without any movements via outside free-agents or trades up, I would seriously consider Alex Mack due to his versatility and high rating as the best interior lineman in the draft. He could take over for Hartwig next off-season should Hartwig go free agency 2010, play starting Right Guard this coming year.

georgedejungle
02-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Starks - OT
Kemeotu - Left Guard
Hartwig - Center
Mack - Right Guard
Colon - OT

Starting O-Line 2009

georgedejungle
02-28-2009, 01:53 PM
If Beatty OT (Connecticut) were somehow available in the final pick of the first round, he would be hard to pass up given the lack of quality OT talent each year.

Beatty could immediately compete for one of the OT positions, possibly move Colon to inside Guard role due to his short arms - where he might succeed at that position...best of both worlds.

Pick up another true Guard in round two or three with Penn State, Pittsburgh native A.Q. Shipley. Shipley ranked high in all the combine drills and would fit nicely as a Guard/ back-up Center/long-snapper etc. Good value.

georgedejungle
02-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Starks - OT
Kemoeatu - OG
Hartwig - Center
Colon - OG
Beatty - OT

Ben's blindside might need better protection, so move Beatty to that role and Starks to the weak side of line.

Shipley would provide nice back-up Center as well as long-snapping duties.

georgedejungle
02-28-2009, 01:59 PM
If I were management, I'd be looking for as much talent for both sides of the scrimmage lines to provide some depth and competition.

The Steelers are in more dire need on the O-Line, but I was saying this last year and the year prior to that. A DLineman to provide back-up for A. Smith and B. Kiesel would also be appropriate. A CB or inside LB later in draft.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-28-2009, 03:31 PM
The Eagles were one of the teams that were projected to grab an OT in the first round. They just signed Stacy Andrews (mistake) so that means the two OT's that were projected to go in the last part of the first round (Beatty & Britton) get pushed back...possibly opening up the posibillity of one of them falling to us at #32....

...food for thought.

tony hipchest
02-28-2009, 04:21 PM
The Eagles were one of the teams that were projected to grab an OT in the first round. They just signed Stacy Andrews (mistake) so that means the two OT's that were projected to go in the last part of the first round (Beatty & Britton) get pushed back...possibly opening up the posibillity of one of them falling to us at #32....

...food for thought.can you see the patriots trading their #2 pick from the cheifs to somebody like arizona to leapfrog us and snag someone we covet? i sure can. their needs are about the same as ours.

steelerdave1969
02-28-2009, 05:24 PM

...food for thought.

Great Points LLT, I think that makes a lot of sense and I think your right. I had been really paying alot of attention to these situations with the offensive linemen that are available. And the more of the teams that sign OT and OL for that matter that needs the help there the less chance they are of them taking linemen in the upcoming draft..

steelerdave1969
02-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Starks - OT
Kemoeatu - OG
Hartwig - Center
Colon - OG
Beatty - OT

Ben's blindside might need better protection, so move Beatty to that role and Starks to the weak side of line.

Shipley would provide nice back-up Center as well as long-snapping duties.

Dude, make up your mind what ya want... :chuckle:

Texasteel
02-28-2009, 10:53 PM
can you see the patriots trading their #2 pick from the cheifs to somebody like arizona to leapfrog us and snag someone we covet? i sure can. their needs are about the same as ours.

I was thinking their biggest needs were at CB and LB. They are getting pretty old at both those positions.