PDA

View Full Version : Another take on the first pick in the draft

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-14-2009, 10:53 AM
After talking to Devilsdancefloor....He got me thinking about the possibility of taking a someone other than an Offensive Tackle at #1.

Hear me out.

Our greatest needs (in my opinion) are O-line, DE, DT, and Safety......and Cornerback if we lose B-mac

Now the way I see it...you have to eliminate players that dont fit our system...so;

Offensive Tackels like Jason Smith, William Beatty, and Jamon Meridith...Centers like Max Unger and Antoine Caldwell might be eliminated from consideration due to being labeled "zone-blockers"

DE's like Brian Orakpo, Michael Johnson, and Robert Ayers are more 4-3 DE's.....and dont fit the 3-4 DE system

DT's like Peira Jerry and Sen'Derrick Marks are three-technique tackles and are not true NT's....

Soooo...who fits our system ,will be available at the end of the first...and will be Value at #32?

Offensive Tackle: Possible none!!!!!! Eugene Monroe, Andre Smith, Michael Oher and Eben Britton will all be gone....The next OT's that I see that would fit our system are Fenuki Tupou and Troy Kropog who are 2nd round talents.

Offensive Guard: Duke Robinson...Thats it...noone else...and he could be gone.

Center: Alex Mack?...Beginning to think that he will probably gone..would be GREAT value if there, but dont count on it... Eric Wood...would be considered a reach but I would have no problem with us grabbing him...he is a stud....He makes my list..

Safety: Louis Delmas...Good Value...a good possibility.

Cornerback: Malcolm Jenkins and Vontae Davis will be gone...Alphonso Smith and DJ Moore may be available... but again ...CB us not a major need if we sign B-mac.

Defensive End: Tyson Jackson who is considered a 1st round talent and has proto-typical size and strength to play 3-4 DE....and Jaron Gilbert who is flying up draft charts and should be considered a second round talent by draft day...but would be considered a reach.

Defensive Tackle: None...After BJ Raji...There is no value at NT in the 1st...Ron Brace is a possibility in the late 2nd.

By my assessment that means our first round pick will most likely (might) come down to DE Tyson Jackson...Safety Louis Delmas...or OC Wood.

thoughts?

Rhee Rhee
02-14-2009, 05:41 PM
delmas. please and thank you. the guy has been shooting up draftboards and should follow suit and become a stud player like greg jennings and the oft injured tony scheffler (who shows talent)...

by no means do i expect to see him play this year if we do draft him..

but he'll be a very nice replacement for ryan clark in a few years... on film (only youtube highlights) he is fast and is polamalu esque as he flies into the hole to wrap up a ball carrier... however i also see him taking bad angles at times and not showing proper tackling technique as he tries to use natural athleticism over technique...

Texasteel
02-14-2009, 06:36 PM
I would probably go with Wood, even if he may be considered a reach. I would not complain to much if it was Delmas though.

MasterOfPuppets
02-14-2009, 09:55 PM
LLT......you've been checkin out mine and gonzo's consensus mocks......:chuckle:
i agree with ya ....pickins are gonna be slim at 32 .....if center is on the shpping list this year...they should go with wood,

Steeldude
02-14-2009, 11:48 PM
the steelers should BPA anything along the OL or DL.

might be eliminated from consideration due to being labeled "zone-blockers"

doesn't zierlein run a zone blocking scheme?

Duke Robinson...Thats it...noone else...and he could be gone

loadholt could play G. IMO, he is better suited there than T.

MasterOfPuppets
02-15-2009, 12:07 AM
i think the steelers should wait till next years draft to seriously look for DE's & NT .......there should be an abundance of good 3-4 prospects in the 2010 draft.

SunshineMan21
02-15-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm not impressed by non-Raji DL in this year's draft, while it seems likely that a quality OL of some type will be there when we pick.

I'm not sold on Tyson Jackson--I prefer Moala, but I think that in a choice between Moala and a comparable OL at #32 we have to go OL.

devilsdancefloor
02-15-2009, 01:40 AM
I just do not see Mack or Unger making it to pick 32 with The titans & titans picking before us. They both have really good centers,But both are entering their 14th seasons i beleive and Birk is a FA. I think the last really quality 1st rd tackles good off the board at detriot & pilly picks. Why not take tyson jackson in the first (but if duke robinson is there we take him in a heartbeat i hope) and the 2nd go with woods? And if we dont resign Im in the dog house smith look at patrick chung? From what i have seen he is a good saftey i dont think he will replace troy or ryan, but a few years i think he will look very good in B&G!:tt03:

3rd rd pick andy kemp?

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-15-2009, 03:19 AM
doesn't zierlein run a zone blocking scheme?

Not really...it is an improvised power blocking scheme that relies a lot on pulls from the Guard position

loadholt could play G. IMO, he is better suited there than T

Good observation....I inadvertantly left Loadholt off my list of OT's that will be available in the 2nd...

I like Trevor Canfield as a Guard with the 3rd round pick....he got into some legal trouble last year...but word is that he has changed his personal life.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2009, 07:41 AM
The only thing that I wonder with Delmas is if he has decent range as a FS. Gonna have to see what kind of speed he has at the combine.

He is a great hitter and seemingly instinctive,............but so is Anthony Smith. Plus, he is kind of small at 197lbs. Delmas isnt worth the #32 pick IMO. Here are some concerns from his NFL scouting report.

Negatives: Lacks the bulk most teams prefer. ... Likes to evade blockers, rather than taking them on and shedding blocks. ... Resorts to low tackles and will, occasionally, duck his head and swipe. ... Can be more pesky than forceful as a tackler and will get dragged, at times. ... Aggressive defender; can be beaten with play-action. ... Questionable level of competition.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-15-2009, 08:22 AM
The only thing that I wonder with Delmas is if he has decent range as a FS. Gonna have to see what kind of speed he has at the combine.

He is a great hitter and seemingly instinctive,............but so is Anthony Smith. Plus, he is kind of small at 197lbs. Delmas isnt worth the #32 pick IMO. Here are some concerns from his NFL scouting report.

Negatives: Lacks the bulk most teams prefer. ... Likes to evade blockers, rather than taking them on and shedding blocks. ... Resorts to low tackles and will, occasionally, duck his head and swipe. ... Can be more pesky than forceful as a tackler and will get dragged, at times. ... Aggressive defender; can be beaten with play-action. ... Questionable level of competition.

Runs in the 4.58 range....

Strengths: Delmas is a top pass-coverage safety prospect with great awareness. A four-year starter, Delmas was the leader of Western Michigan's defense and made the coverage calls in the secondary his final two seasons. Has an athletic frame with room to grow. Fearless, Delmas enjoys laying a hit on the ball carrier. Does nicely when he has to go up for the ball. Times his jumps well to break up a play. Good enough straight-line speed. Good hips, which shows in his backpedal.

Weaknesses: The biggest concern about Delmas is his size and ability to hold up against the running game. Struggles with blockers and chooses to run around them. Tackling ability is only average. He often goes to low, allowing ball carriers to bounce off him. Too aggressive at times and will bite on play action. Didn't play against the best competition in the Mid-American Conference.

Final word: Very similar to Tyrell Johnson, who was drafted in the second round of the 2007 draft by the Minnesota Vikings. Delmas was successful in pass coverage as a senior, even though those surrounding him struggled. Notched 111 tackles as a senior. Finished his career with 18 pass breakups and 12 interceptions. A four-year starter, three-time all-conference safety and two-time team captain, Delmas has all the intangibles.

.................................................. ....

here is a what Matt McGuire had to say about him at the Senior Bowl

- Day 2 comments

Everyone's MVP today is Western Michigan product Louis Delmas. He put a huge hit on Ramses Barden, knocking him off his feet and doing it with authority. He was always around the football and displayed great range and instincts. I talked with Chris Steuber of Scout.com and he really felt Delmas is a pure free safety. Delmas' stock is skyrocketing and Taylor Mays returning to USC really helps him.

- Day 3 comments

Louis Delmas had an average practice, but he displayed much leadership as he yelled at DeAngelo Smith, "Get deep! Get deep! Get deep!!!" I like to see this kind of direction and leadership as the quarterback of the defensive backfield.

.................................................. ...............................

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Motivated by his beginnings, WMU's Louis Delmas living by his word
by Graham Couch | Kalamazoo Gazette
Friday September 12, 2008, 5:45 AM

KALAMAZOO -- At any moment within the last two weeks, Louis Delmas might have been seen doing the following:

• Running repeated 110-yard sprints after practice without prompting from Western Michigan University's football coaches.

• Speaking to the defense after practice about the need for better tackling and more intensity and then, still in uniform and in the rain, greeting his cleaned-up teammates as they left the locker room.

• Offering a disadvantaged little boy money when all he was seeking was an autograph, because Delmas knew the pain in the child's eyes all too well.

"He's unbelievable," Bill Cubit said this week, shaking his head as Delmas finished the last of his eight post-practice sprints inside the Seelye Center.

The assessment by WMU's head coach was meant to be all-encompassing.

His humble and sometimes tragic beginnings have created a compassionate and motivated leader out of the senior free safety.

After three years of tantalizing promise, Delmas is delivering with both his personality and performance.

Two games in, he leads the Broncos' defense with 21 tackles -- including at least eight soul-jarring hits -- and is responsible for three turnovers, two interceptions and a fumble recovery.

"I've seen flashes, but I've never seen the consistency of the last two games," Cubit said about the 6-foot, 196-pound Delmas, who played cornerback as a true freshman, switched to safety as a sophomore and learned a new defense as a junior.

"I give all the credit to my defensive players because last year I let them down by getting hurt," said Delmas, who missed almost three full games with a concussion and missed several with a knee injury in 2006. "This year, I'm healthy and they're healthy. Them doing what they're doing up front, makes me look good in the back end."

From a guy who has NFL scouts collectively shaking their heads in amazement as much as Cubit, it's a somewhat ridiculous statement.

It's also Delmas exerting leadership.

This Monday, when the first-team defense was stripped of its gold practice jerseys because of excessive missed tackles in a victory over Northern Illinois, Delmas took it personally.

"He says, 'Yeah, that means a lot to me, taking them away. I'll handle it,"' Cubit said. "I saw him take the defense (after practice) and I walked away. And then I went back and he was greeting every kid coming out. He still had his uniform on. Kids were coming out after getting showers, and (he's) talking to everyone."

"Coach Cubit looks at me as a leader and I look at myself as a leader," said Delmas, who earned that badge as early as fall camp in 2005, when, right before a snap, he barked at a whining senior to "Worry about yourself!"

Delmas followed a similar philosophy this week after the defense allowed touchdown drives on Northern Illinois' first and last possessions.

"(Cubit) came to me and asked me what was going on and I basically blamed myself," Delmas said.

"There's a lot of respect for him," senior receiver Schneider Julien said. "Because everyone knows he's just not the type of person who's going to go ahead and say something and then he's not going to do his half on the field. Everyone knows once he says something, he's going to back it up."

When Delmas and Julien believed fatigue slowed them at the end of the Nebraska game, they began running extra full-field sprints at the end of practice. While others have joined from time to time, Delmas is always out there.

"I can't get tired," Delmas told Cubit.

His desire to help his teammates and his program comes from more than a competitive spirit. He is beyond grateful that his high school coach, Jeff Bertani, pushed him toward WMU and that Cubit, then entering his first year as the Broncos' head coach, plucked him out of North Miami Beach.

A childhood that included being abandoned by his parents and, at one point, living off instant soups provided by the mother of teammate E.J. Biggers, before the Biggers took him in, also created a level of compassion that opposing receivers would never guess Delmas had in him.

When a boy no older than about 9 showed up at a recent practice for an autograph, brought over by a woman Delmas knew from a campus cafeteria, Delmas thought the ink from his pen was far too little a contribution.

Still a year from the riches of the NFL, Delmas offered what cash he had.

"He was a struggling little boy ... I just felt real bad for him, because he was in the same situation I was in," Delmas said. "I felt like any little thing I could do for him just to help him improve his life, that's what I'm trying to do."

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2008/09/kalamazoo_at_any_moment.html

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I liked what I saw of Delmas in the Senior bowl. If he runs a 4.58 range, that is OK, but nothing that really is gonna make me think he is a 1st round pick.

What I saw too in Senior Bowl practice was a confident guy, that hit hard and looked at times too aggressive, so it doesnt surprise me that the scouting reports say he could get beat in play action.

To me he equates very similar to Anthony Smith. A confident guy, big hitter, but a strong safety mentality playing FS. I would rather offer a contract to Anthony Smith than spend a day 1 pick on Delmas. Basically the same guys, but Smith is bigger and stronger against the run.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Here is the scouting report on Anthony Smith his draft year. I see it very similar to Delmas.

Anthony Smith S 6'1 194 Syracuse

Anthony Smith is an aggressive, instinctive safety. He reads and reacts very quickly, and knows where the action is going to go. He is willing to attack the line and be a force in the running game. Smith also shows the awareness in coverage, and has the ability to make the big play when matched up down the field.

The big knock with Smith is that he appears to be a tweener at safety. His aggressiveness and physical play say strong safety, but his experience and size say free safety. He has shown great awareness in coverage, but may not have the footspeed to stay at free safety in the NFL, and lacks the strength and bulk to match up with tight ends at strong safety. http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/anthony_smith.html

Texasteel
02-15-2009, 11:11 AM
They forgot to mention that he's not very bright.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-15-2009, 11:30 AM
You guys are killing me!!!:chuckle::chuckle:

I posted this in the consensus draft as a possiblity...What do you think?

.....beginning to wonder if maximum value is for us to trade down from #32.
The value chart shows that we could get a mid-second & late third for the #32 slot.....and could mean

2) OT Fenuki Tupou, Oregon (6-6 328)
2) OT Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma (6-8 343)
3) Mark Parson, Ohio (5-10 193)
3) OG Kraig Urbik, Wisconsin (6-5 323)
3) NT Dorell Scott, Clemson (6-4 313)
4) FS Sherrod Martin,Troy State (6-1, 193)
5) DE Pannel Egboh, Stanford (6-6. Weight: 285)
6) DE Kyle Moore, USC (6-4. Weight: 275)
7) FB Travis McCall, Alabama (6-0 260)

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2009, 12:22 PM

The value chart shows that we could get a mid-second & late third for the #32 slot.....and could mean

2) OT Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma (6-8 343)
3) Mark Parson, Ohio (5-10 193)
3) NT Dorell Scott, Clemson (6-4 313)
4) FS Sherrod Martin,Troy State (6-1, 193)
5) DE Pannel Egboh, Stanford (6-6. Weight: 285)
6) DE Kyle Moore, USC (6-4. Weight: 275)

Scenario 1

Rd 1 Mack or Wood or Robinson
Rd 2 Gilbert
Rd 3 Parrish, Boone or Loadholt

Scenario 2

Rd 1 William Beatty or Jamon Meridith
Rd 2 Gilbert
Rd 3 Urbik, Canfield, or Vasquez

Scenario 3 (with proposed trade down)

Rd 2a Meridith
Rd 2b Gilbert (or best D line prospect like Moala, Hood, Brace, etc)
Rd 3a Urbik, Canfield, Vasquez or best available interior line prospect
Rd 3B Parrish, Boone, Loadholt.

Scenario #1 and 2 are with no trade. At least I would like to take the best available interior line prospect and get a D-lineman and RT prospect. At the best I would love to get a LT, D-line, OG/C prospect and a RT.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Scenario 1

Rd 1 Mack or Wood or Robinson
Rd 2 Gilbert
Rd 3 Parrish, Boone or Loadholt

Scenario 2

Rd 1 William Beatty or Jamon Meridith
Rd 2 Gilbert
Rd 3 Urbik, Canfield, or Vasquez

Scenario 3 (with proposed trade down)

Rd 2a Meridith
Rd 2b Gilbert (or best D line prospect like Moala, Hood, Brace, etc)
Rd 3a Urbik, Canfield, Vasquez or best available interior line prospect
Rd 3B Parrish, Boone, Loadholt.

Scenario #1 and 2 are with no trade. At least I would like to take the best available interior line prospect and get a D-lineman and RT prospect. At the best I would love to get a LT, D-line, OG/C prospect and a RT.

You have me sold on Loadholt...but I'm not real big on Meridith or Beatty. i would take Tupou over both of them for our system. Both are Zone blockers and Beatty is starting to raise some eyebrows in regards to work ethic.

Is Loadholt a late 2nd round early 3rd?....or a late 3rd?

MasterOfPuppets
02-15-2009, 12:36 PM
i don't put too much stock in scouting reports. they tend to contradict themselves too much. judging by delmas's scouting report posted here, you'd think he was a liability in run support, and a bad tackler.......but yet he had 111 tackles last year :doh:.....then they knock his size.....ed reed is listed at only 200 lbs, leigh bodden is listed as 193lbs.

Texasteel
02-15-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm not giving up on Britton yet. Mack may have pushed himself ahead of him, and that could get Britton close enough to us to make a trade possable.
May not be probable, but is possable.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2009, 02:31 PM
You have me sold on Loadholt...but I'm not real big on Meridith or Beatty. i would take Tupou over both of them for our system. Both are Zone blockers and Beatty is starting to raise some eyebrows in regards to work ethic.

Is Loadholt a late 2nd round early 3rd?....or a late 3rd?
Funny, I am not as sold on Loadholt as I was earlier in the year. I thought he was a RT with potential to play LT in the NFL, but really dont see him use his hands well enough. I think he is 3rd round guy, but somebody will probably spend a 2nd on him if they think he can transition to LT.

Beatty has good footwork, naturally gets low and bends the knees well to block, but is too light and I bet he doesnt bench more than 20 reps at the combine. I see some aggression in him which I didnt see in Chris Williams last year. I think Beatty will spend a year in the weight room and refining technique, then becoming a solid LT.

Meridith is quick, explosive, strong and smart. The only thing I want to see is if he has long arms and can bulk up. More of a project, but a nasty blocker that at the least can play RT or guard.

Tupou is a JUCO transfer to Oregon and has all the size and decent feet, but he looks a bit stiff to me and doesnt look like a natural bender at the hips and knees. Doesnt show good hand placement, but again, can be a RT for sure and maybe a LT if he can refine his technique.

I like Beatty, Meridith, Tupou, Loadholt, Boone and Parrish in that order after the first 5 OT's.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2009, 02:38 PM
i don't put too much stock in scouting reports. they tend to contradict themselves too much. judging by delmas's scouting report posted here, you'd think he was a liability in run support, and a bad tackler.......but yet he had 111 tackles last year :doh:.....then they knock his size.....ed reed is listed at only 200 lbs, leigh bodden is listed as 193lbs.

Delmas is not Ed Reed. From what I saw of him I think he is more of a Ryan Clark guy that wants to make the big hit all the time instead of maintaining his coverage responsibilities.

Maybe he is the 2nd coming of Ronnie Lott, but I think more of a guy that will take 3 years to realize he has a game like Chris Hope.

MasterOfPuppets
02-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Delmas is not Ed Reed. From what I saw of him I think he is more of a Ryan Clark guy that wants to make the big hit all the time instead of maintaining his coverage responsibilities.

Maybe he is the 2nd coming of Ronnie Lott, but I think more of a guy that will take 3 years to realize he has a game like Chris Hope.the ONLY comparrison i was making was size. there's actually quite a few FS's, in the nfl that are comparable in size to delmas. looks to me like the average is only about 205.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2009, 06:32 PM
the ONLY comparrison i was making was size. there's actually quite a few FS's, in the nfl that are comparable in size to delmas. looks to me like the average is only about 205.

OK, but I still see the same with Delmas that he would be a guy like Clark........but would always be peeing in the backfield too much and get beat in coverage.

tony hipchest
02-15-2009, 06:38 PM

)

i dont think we need more picks. what we need is a few quality picks in a distinct area of need. as your OP noted, i say we just trade up and get a lineman.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-15-2009, 06:39 PM
OK, but I still see the same with Delmas that he would be a guy like Clark........but would always be peeing in the backfield too much and get beat in coverage.

Okay...I'm officially slap happy,,,thats funny!!!!:monkey:

St33lersguy
02-15-2009, 06:39 PM
That is not a good sign. It looks as if they might have to trade up or reach

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-15-2009, 06:45 PM
i dont think we need more picks. what we need is a few quality picks in a distinct area of need. as your OP noted, i say we just trade up and get a lineman.

By rule...I generally agree with that....but this year if all the stud tackles are gone at #32 and we would have to reach to grab one.....then why not trade #32 to a team like the Vikings who will be looking to leapfrog teams like the Jets and Bears to get the best QB in the second round....?

I checked the value chart and #32 is worth a mid 2nd and mid 3rd round pick...and after much going back and fourth we were talking about a draft that could look something like this (with the thought that we would also get a 3rd round pick for Faneca)....

2) DE Jaron Gilbert San Jose St (6-5 285)
3) OT Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma (6-8 343)
3) CB Mark Parson, Ohio (5-10 193)
4) FS Sherrod Martin,Troy State (6-1 193)
5) DE Pannel Egboh, Stanford (6-6 285)
6) NT Antonio Dixon, Miami (6-3 328)

No reaching....good value and quality..and virtually all needs filled

Texasteel
02-15-2009, 08:20 PM

Tony, in 2 years that draft would give us an unbelievable O-line, and a head start on rebuilding an aging D-line. Not to mention a CB that I think will be great, and a FS that I think we will need next year.

MasterOfPuppets
02-15-2009, 08:35 PM
OK, but I still see the same with Delmas that he would be a guy like Clark........but would always be peeing in the backfield too much and get beat in coverage.then it all boils down to one question......is the guy coachable??? he may show the same bad habits that smith showed, or does show, but just because smith couldn't be broken of old habits, it doesn't mean delmas can't. be coached to be a more disciplined player......:noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
02-15-2009, 08:43 PM
:thumbsup: .......i'm all for it !!! i'd go so far as to trade up to around the 11th spot if either oher, monroe, or smith falls outside of 10.....:noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2009, 08:45 PM
then it all boils down to one question......is the guy coachable??? he may show the same bad habits that smith showed, or does show, but just because smith couldn't be broken of old habits, it doesn't mean delmas can't. be coached to be a more disciplined player......:noidea:
TRUE.............and that is what hopefully the interviews and background checks will show, but its something we dont have access to.

I'm just not a fan of taking a Safety when we have so many needs at O line and D line. Especially when there is so much talent there. I bet many here would rather have taken:

-Philip Merling instead of Mendenhall
-Jeremy Zuttah instead of Limas Sweed, or
-Anthony Collins instead of Bruce Davis.

Imagine those 3 young lineman ready to step in next season. That means this season we could look at Shonn Green, Brandon Tate, Ron Brace or Brian Robiske instead of needing to reach for linemen.

MasterOfPuppets
02-15-2009, 09:18 PM
TRUE.............and that is what hopefully the interviews and background checks will show, but its something we dont have access to.

I'm just not a fan of taking a Safety when we have so many needs at O line and D line. Especially when there is so much talent there. I bet many here would rather have taken:

-Philip Merling instead of Mendenhall
-Jeremy Zuttah instead of Limas Sweed, or
-Anthony Collins instead of Bruce Davis.

Imagine those 3 young lineman ready to step in next season. That means this season we could look at Shonn Green, Brandon Tate, Ron Brace or Brian Robiske instead of needing to reach for linemen.
you'll get no arguement from me.i'm still in disbelief that they didn't draft nick mangold :doh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2009, 11:54 PM
you'll get no arguement from me.i'm still in disbelief that they didn't draft nick mangold :doh: Yeah, but that was the year they traded up for Holmes wasnt it??

Hines Ward, Cedric Wilson and 2nd year guy Nate Washington would have been a sketchy WR corps going forward. They needed Holmes, but could have addressed things later with Kalil or Sampson Setele. I agree, its been ignored far too long.