PDA

View Full Version : Logan

devilsdancefloor
02-14-2009, 02:04 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m2d13-Steelers-newest-addition-could-be-the-next-Darren-Sproles

Matt Pawlikowski
Pittsburgh Sports Examiner
An award-winning writer, Matt grew up in Western PA and has covered the Pittsburgh sports scene for over 15 years, including a Steelers beat the past nine years.

Steelers newest addition could be the next Darren Sproles
Add a Comment February 13, 11:33 AM
by Matt Pawlikowski, Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers appear to be making some moves in hopes of shoring up the one sore spot, if you could call it that on their roster, the return game.

While Gary Russell did a nice job on kickoffs averaging 23.2 on 16 returns, the best on punts was Santonio Homes who averaged just 6.6 a return. Add the two together and it means the Steelers offense had a lot of field to cover in 2008.

On Thursday, they added a CFL standout to the roster in Stefen Logan, who at 5- foot- 6, may seem like a longshot at best to make the team, but a player who is also intriguing and reminds many of San Diego's Darren Sproles, who also stands at 5-6.

Logan agreed to a two-year contract with the Steelers and is coming off a breakout year with the British Columbia Lions where many dubbed him as the most exciting player to watch in the CFL.

So just who is Stefan Logan? For starters, as a return man he averaged 10.6 yards per punt return, and an incredible 29.6 on nine kickoff returns for the Lions in 2008. Then there was the fact on 126 carries, he had over 800 yards and an average per tote of seven yards.

If those stats are not appealing, then there is this fact. Coming out of South Dakota, Logan owned the NCAA record for yards in a quarter with 184 (Truman State, 2005). In that game alone he rushed for a career-best 295 yards, averaging a school record 22.6 yards per carry. He also had nearly 8,000 all- purpose yards (7,700).

Should Logan make the Steelers final roster, he will become an immediate storyline, as one of his big factors for leaving the CFL and trying to make Pittsburgh's roster is the fact he is doing it for his parents, both of who are ailing.

This according to a report in the Province by Lowell Ullrich, who also says that Logan was swayed by teammates for what he calls, 'a once in a lifetime opportunity'.

Ullrich also states that the Steelers plan on utilizing him as a third down back.

The other player signed by the Steelers who could be a return man, is Brandon Willams, a former third round pick of the 49ers, who was used primarily as a return man. In 2007, he had eight punt returns for 66 yards (8.3-yard avg.) and 22 kickoff returns for 508 yards (23.1-yard avg.) as a Ram, and in in 23 games has posted career totals of 35 punt returns for 245 yards and 38 kickoff returns for 888 yards (23.8 - yard average).

Williams has an interesting stat to his name, as his 2,924 career receiving yards broke the Bills Lee Evansí career receiving record.

lilyoder6
02-14-2009, 02:34 PM
thats a good article to get to know more bout who we picked up

devilsdancefloor
02-14-2009, 03:02 PM
I think the part of the article that stood out for me at least is this:

Should Logan make the Steelers final roster, he will become an immediate storyline, as one of his big factors for leaving the CFL and trying to make Pittsburgh's roster is the fact he is doing it for his parents, both of who are ailing.

He sounds like a steeler guy!

stillers4me
02-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Is it September yet?

Galax Steeler
02-14-2009, 03:18 PM
I think the part of the article that stood out for me at least is this:

He sounds like a steeler guy!

I hope he can help out our return game and get us better field position.

BlackAndGold4Ever
02-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Well if he makes the final roster, it sounds like he can be a contributing force for us

jjpro11
02-14-2009, 05:22 PM
i love those small kick returners that have fire like sproles, jones-drew,and trindon holliday.. i was hoping we'd find a returner of that build.. hopefully he is the guy.

HometownGal
02-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Sounds like a stand-up young man - definitely Steelers material! :thumbsup:

I'm anxious to see what this kid can do - TC can't get here soon enough for me!

KeiselPower99
02-14-2009, 10:11 PM
I will be cheering for Stefan Logan. If he shows that he can give excitement to the return game he is in.

goLERS
02-14-2009, 11:20 PM
[he's certainly got some wiggle...decent run at the 40 second mark of this video.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cUcADvFCjHE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cUcADvFCjHE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

goLERS
02-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Also, he's #2 in red in this video. His legs are like a blur.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5s3GtBCN0So&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5s3GtBCN0So&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>