PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs. Browns: A Rivalry No Longer

devilsdancefloor
02-15-2009, 12:16 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/123618-steelers-vs-browns-a-rivalry-no-longer
Steelers vs. Browns: A Rivalry No Longer
It was the best of times and the worst of times, a true tale of two cities, the haves and the have nots.

These days, the gap between Pittsburgh and Cleveland is massive, and the light at the end of the tunnel seems far off for the Dawg Pound.

The rivalry between the Cleveland Browns and Pittsburgh Steelers was once fierce and well-matched. It was a slugfest with Jack Lambert and Turkey Jones, when plays didn't stop just because they blew the whistle. Most of all, the fans, the unruly horde of yinzers and boneheads fighting in the stands like the good old days, was a sight to behold.

These days, fans in Ohio prepare for the Steelers coming to town like Floridians prepare for hurricane season: Running and hiding. Can you blame them?

In the past 10 years since returning to the league, the Browns have posted a measly two winning seasons and appeared in only one playoff game; take a wild guess who beat them. The cast of Lost had more resources available at their disposal to rebuild the airplane to fly home than the Browns franchise has to field a competitive team.

The Steelers have posted a dominating 18-3 record against the Browns since their return to the league in 1999.
Pittsburgh has won 11 straight, and in that time they've won two World Championships with a QB the Browns have yet to beat.
6 Super Bowls! Just the thought of another shinny Lombardi being placed in the Steelers trophy case is enough to make any Dawg yelp and give Steeler fans everywhere a nice serving of pride with a side of Schadenfreude!
I'm a diehard Pittsburgh Steelers fan. After my team won Super Bowl XLIII, I couldn't help but wonder what the mood back at Kent State, where I attend school, must have been like that night.

Meanwhile, I was back in Pittsburgh cheering on top of a city bus drinking a fresh beer and twirling my Terrible Towel. Noticing the difference yet? As a fan attending school in northeast Ohio, I have noticed how each year the fight in Browns fans dies down even more.

To be blunt, this generation of Browns fans just doesn't know what winning football looks like. They remember Bernie Kosar like I remember the last time the Pirates won their division. I, on the other hand, have been fortunate enough to see my team play in the big game three times.

Browns fans constantly ask me all the time what it's like to win a Super Bowl, and my response? "I don't know. I never played football for the Pittsburgh Steelers, haha!"

What advice I can offer to Browns fans is to never give up the faith. I don't expect my Steelers to lose to your team in the foreseeable decade, but even I know all good things must come to an end.

When that days comes, I will be embarrassed but be able to smile. I've still done something no Browns fans my age has...buy a hot dog and beer at my stadium in January.

I know this is froma a steelers stand point, but i cant help to wonder what the dawgs think??

MasterOfPuppets
02-15-2009, 01:30 AM
These days, fans in Ohio prepare for the Steelers coming to town like Floridians prepare for hurricane season: Running and hiding. Can you blame them?

The cast of Lost had more resources available at their disposal to rebuild the airplane to fly home than the Browns franchise has to field a competitive team.

I've still done something no Browns fans my age has...buy a hot dog and beer at my stadium in January.

:rofl: ohhhhhhhhhh SNAP !!!!

Steelcitygal87
02-15-2009, 05:29 AM
GREAT find! :rofl: Thanks for posting! :tt03:

Galax Steeler
02-15-2009, 06:10 AM
Do they even have the dog pound anymore.:rofl:

lilyoder6
02-15-2009, 10:05 AM
thats funny... poor brownies

The Duke
02-15-2009, 10:21 AM

Of course they do. It's just called the puppy pound now

TackleMeBen
02-15-2009, 10:29 AM
well at least cleveland has the cavs.. they have become a winning team. wonder if the browns could get lebron to come play for them, like in his state farm commerical..lol. that might be the only way the browns become a competitive team.

Benzbrother
02-15-2009, 11:00 AM
lol I almost feel bad for Browns fans.....nahh not really haha
GO STEELERS!!

T.Richardson
02-15-2009, 11:36 AM
lol, the last time the Browns beat the Steelers was at Hienz field in 2003. I think the score was like 33-13?

OX1947
02-15-2009, 12:16 PM
The Ravens are the real Browns. This Browns team has been a joke since their rebirth in 99, I don't even consider them the Browns.

Dino 6 Rings
02-15-2009, 12:33 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Ben paid for them to have new dogs too!

http://www.bigben7.com/foundation.aspx

jev7452
02-15-2009, 01:48 PM
nice read!!!!!!

HometownGal
02-15-2009, 04:36 PM
I feel kinda bad for the few diehard Browns fans like TBD, CB and xfl2001, but I feel no sympathy for those mangy mutts who sat in the Dawg Pound and spit and threw beer at Browns' opponents over the years.

da Browns are our bitches! :tt03:

paw-n-maul-u
02-15-2009, 04:39 PM
wait? since when was this a "rivalry"? ... steelers are like 100-0 since the browns came back into the league and got spanked 45ish-nill, at the hands of the six time world champs.

paw-n-maul-u
02-15-2009, 04:45 PM
actually. this article makes me feel straight spoiled. Would I even like if this team was the Detroit Steelers or the Pittsburgh Lions (atleast sharing a similiar record anyways)? I don't know if I could handle losing like that. Other than Korky, Tommy, and a few Neil O-doosh INT's for pick 6's sprinkled in, I haven't really experienced much pain.

But at the same time, how many heartbreaking playoff losses have we witnessed.

Every once in awhile you gotta sit back and just soak in how great it is to be a steeler fan.

steelerbackr4life
02-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Exactly rivalries tend to be more real when one of the teams atleast show up.

Stlrs4Life
02-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Heck on the Browns, I feel no pitty for them. Mainly cause I have to work with lot of there fans.

Godfather
02-15-2009, 08:58 PM
This is a good reminder of why I hate Art Modell. This was the NFL's greatest rivalry and he ruined it.

FredScott
02-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Yea to be honest the Ravens seem more of a rival these days then the browns but I have to admit I love the fact we beat them down every year. True they really haven't given us much of a challenge lately but a couple of my buddies are browns fans so it feels good to see them wine every year ;)

Stu Pidasso
02-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Hmm... I wonder if Michael Vick would ever play for the Browns?

They'll haver to re-name the Dawg Pound...

LVSteelersfan
02-15-2009, 11:47 PM
I could care less if the Clowns ever win another game. Listening to their fans in preseason has made me lose any sense of sorrow at all for their plight. Browns left and never came back. Their owner is a joke. He keeps trying to hire loser coaches from the Bill Belichick school. Sorry. That doesn't work. Mangini was the worst possible coach they could have picked when Shanahan and Gruden are sitting out there out of a job. And then they hire a Raider as a coordinator. Good Grief Charlie Brown. What is THAT about?

bratsinmybelly
02-16-2009, 12:08 AM
We can claim that there is no more rivalry but the very fact that this thread exists is proof that the rivalry is still intact. There is just no racket from the Clowns right now because they have nothing to talk about. There will sadly come a day that they will sneak up and win a couple and they will be right back slobbering all over themselves again..........yay.

Galax Steeler
02-16-2009, 03:36 AM
Heck on the Browns, I feel no pitty for them. Mainly cause I have to work with lot of there fans.

I really hate that you have to work with them it must be a long day at work.

Cordlisberger
02-16-2009, 03:58 PM
I've still done something no Browns fans my age has...buy a hot dog and beer at my stadium in January.

I love it

SteelCityKing
02-16-2009, 04:11 PM
I really hate that you have to work with them it must be a long day at work.

i know how that goes. i work with a lot of Patriots, Cowboys, and 1 Raiders fan and 1 49ers fan. and everytime the Steelers screw up or take a loss...they are right there to bust my chops and say something stupid. but the fact the Cowboys and Patriots didn't even make the playoffs just tickles me pink because i know that they know that i want to say something to them and they are just waiting for it. but i don't say a word. i take the high road and bite my tongue when it comes to rival fans because they know who they are rooting for and they know who i am rooting for. they know they are in the wrong. they aren't in the wrong for liking their team, but they now, more than ever, know how to put their foot in their mouth.

lilyoder6
02-16-2009, 04:33 PM
the browns and the bengals are just warm-ups.. lol

Harris32
02-16-2009, 05:15 PM

yeah they do, they played in this years puppy bowl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FcZ9fEbUn8

and even the bungles showed up to perform in the half time show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa26xftV0Z0

:chuckle:

SteelCityKing
02-16-2009, 05:23 PM
THE NEW DOG POUND!!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AWR456NFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Morgan
02-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Look at how hard our schedule was, and that we won the SUper Bowl. Look at some of the early 2000s failures where we had easier schedules than the lower "seeded" teams that we lost to in the playoffs.

I suggest that it would be better for the Steelers if the Bengals and Browns were better.

AllD
02-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Jeff Reed is tougher than any player on the Browns.

SteelCityKing
02-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Jeff Reed is tougher than any player on the Browns.

yeah...he sure knows how to wig out and snap at Sheetz employees!

steelballs
02-17-2009, 07:14 AM
lol I almost feel bad for Browns fans.....nahh not really haha
GO STEELERS!!

Ever since some Brown's fans smashed my windows out at an away game back in the 70's, I've wished nothing but pain and suffering for this joke of a franchise ever since.
It's nice to see that some wishes do come true.

CB1977
02-17-2009, 02:49 PM
I feel kinda bad for the few diehard Browns fans like TBD, CB and xfl2001, but I feel no sympathy for those mangy mutts who sat in the Dawg Pound and spit and threw beer at Browns' opponents over the years.

da Browns are our bitches! :tt03:

Thanks HTG for the kind words but, we're not looking for sympathy, just a good team someday.

My former boss had a saying, "If you're looking for sympathy, you'll find it between shit and syphilis.

I'm not at that point yet...

SteelCityKing
02-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks HTG for the kind words but, we're not looking for sympathy, just a good team someday.

My former boss had a saying, "If you're looking for sympathy, you'll find it between shit and syphilis.

OH MAN! i can't wait to use that one! that's a classic.

i know a lot of Browns fans too. all TWO of them are diehards. but i sit back and let them run their mouths and eat crow by the end of the season. i haven't even said a word to them since the Super Bowl. i'm taking the classy route, but unlike you...some Browns fans take the UNclassy route and talk smack all day everyday. you atleast know the truth. =)

CB1977
02-18-2009, 07:02 AM
haha! OH MAN! i can't wait to use that one! that's a classic. haha!

i know a lot of Browns fans too. all TWO of them are diehards. but i sit back and let them run their mouths and eat crow by the end of the season. i haven't even said a word to them since the Super Bowl. i'm taking the classy route, but unlike you...some Browns fans take the UNclassy route and talk smack all day everyday. you atleast know the truth. =)

Glad you like the quote.

And, just so you know, I do not come in here, to Steeler territory, and "talk smack". I know my place. I am, however, a very outspoken person and I will say what's on my mind.

If I've offended you with my post, I am sorry but, if I didn't stick up for the team I love, what type of fan would that make me? You can think of me as an unclassy Browns fan all you want SCK...I really don't care. There are a few people on this board that know me a little better than you do, and that's all that matters.

I have posted in other threads giving you guys my congrats on winning the super bowl. You guys deserved it.

HometownGal
02-18-2009, 07:19 AM

I know, CB, but I still feel badly for you all the same. We Steelers fans have been pretty fortunate over the years - we haven't had losing teams for huge stretches of time (other than a bad team here and there in the 80's) and are most always pretty competitive (though you'd never know it from some of the comments here. :doh:). Your day will come - might not be for a while - but it will. Keep the faith hon! :drink:

MasterOfPuppets
02-18-2009, 08:02 AM
keep the faith brownie fans......the brownies F.O. have struck gold with manvagina .....:shake02: