PDA

View Full Version : Stefan Logan logs on to Lions exodus

mesaSteeler
02-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Stefan Logan logs on to Lions exodus

RB starts at top ... with Super Bowl champs

By Lowell Ullrich, The ProvinceFebruary 6, 2009
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/football/bc-lions/Stefan+Logan+logs+Lions+exodus/1259658/story.html

Picture this in black and yellow: (CFL) Lions running back Stefan Logan is headed to the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

Picture this in black and yellow: Lions running back Stefan Logan is headed to the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers.
Photograph by: Nick Procaylo file, The Province

A set of ailing parents, the willingness to take a chance and, perhaps, some unintended help from a player his own size has put Stefan Logan in the NFL with the champion Pittsburgh Steelers and the Lions into a massive hole.

The 5'6" dynamo agreed to terms Thursday on a two-year contract with the Super Bowl champions, who want to look at the top rookie nominee with the CFL club as a returner and third-down running back.

Logan had already agreed to a contract extension with the Lions if he did not sign in the NFL before Feb. 16 as an option-year player.

He also earlier said he would switch leagues only if an NFL team would make him a regular part of its offence.

But the encouragement of his Lions teammates made the Pittsburgh offer too tempting, even without a sizable signing bonus.

"It's one of those once-in-a-lifetime chances," Logan said from his home in Miami.

"I was kind of confused about the whole thing myself but I talked to lot of [teammates] and they said, 'If you get a chance, take a risk.'"

Swaying the decision was the fact Logan's mother is dealing with diabetes and his father is on dialysis.

"I want to be closer to them," the tailback said.

Logan's only NFL workout came with the Steelers midway through last month, days after another 5'6" sparkplug running back, Darren Sproles, helped the San Diego Chargers to a playoff win. The timing, Logan agreed, is more than coincidental.

Logan becomes the third Lions player to sign in the NFL since Jan. 1 and the sixth starter off the roster since last season.

It is hardly an encouraging development for a CFL team which cut Jason Clermont and Charles Roberts out of its offence and got nothing in return.

Logan had 310 all-purpose yards in the playoffs last year and the Lions clearly were designing their offence this season around him.

"I'm not going to sit here and act like I'm panicked," coach Wally Buono said.

"We will go out and do what we've done for years and find the next

Stefan Logan. Remember, he was just a blur at this time last year."

You could also start to think the same thing about the Lions chances in the season ahead.

steelerdave1969
02-15-2009, 10:18 AM
IF he even makes the team and helps us win another super bowl tittle I will believe in the CFL, until then they are just like the USFL was in my mind or the Extreme Football League... just another ameteur sport...

lilyoder6
02-15-2009, 10:37 AM
the cfl is like the europe league is ways.. they are the minors league

Steelcitygal87
02-15-2009, 10:40 AM
IF he even makes the team and helps us win another super bowl tittle I will believe in the CFL, until then they are just like the USFL was in my mind or the Extreme Football League... just another ameteur sport...

Have you watched many CFL games?(just curious). I have seen quite a few, and while I definitely prefer American football, I do enjoy watching the Canadian game as well. As you probably know there are many differences between the two, one of the biggest being.........punts are more common in Canadian football because the offense has only three tries to attain a first down compared to four in our game. Accordingly, special teams make a larger contribution to the team's success. So Logan has had lots of opportunity to work on his skills as kick returner...which, is one of the areas where the Steelers think he will be such an asset to our team. :tt03:

KeiselPower99
02-15-2009, 10:59 AM
I like watching the CFL. Go Hamilton Ticats!!! Same colors as us and same kinda town. Anyways I think this guy will add something to our return game.

Steelcitygal87
02-15-2009, 11:03 AM
I like watching the CFL. Go Hamilton Ticats!!! Same colors as us and same kinda town. Anyways I think this guy will add something to our return game.

Yep...Hamilton, Ontario....Steel town #2. Go Tigercats! :tt03:

The Duke
02-15-2009, 11:44 AM

Same here. I'm excited this guy can make the roster, but I'm not holding my breath

Another CFL player coming this year is LB Cameron Wake to the dolphins. They seem to be excited about having the CFL sack leader playing opposite joey porter

But I want to see what they do first

they both have good chances though....

KeiselPower99
02-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I forgot about Wake signing with Miami. That could be a major pickup for the fins. There is a bunch of guys up there Im suprised the NFL dont look at. Anthony Calvillo qb from the Montreal Alouettes for instance. The guy is Kurt Warner 2 but with a better knowledge of the QB postion.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2009, 12:05 PM
the cfl is like the europe league is ways.. they are the minors league

Not exactly true. The CFL is a different game where the field is longer and wider, your QB's need to be mobile and have really strong arms to throw on that wide field and quicker RB's like this guy Logan can operate in that space. Joe Montana could not throw a deep out pattern in the CFL.

Joe Theismann, Doug Flutie, Erik Kramer, Tom Cousineau, Rocket Ismail are just a few guys that came out of that league to play in the NFL. Likewise, former Steelers picks that never made the team have played well in the CFL (LaVar Glover, Tee Martin, D.J. Flick, Mike Adams)

Watch for former Penn St DE Cam Wake in Miami this year. The Dolphins just picked him up after a couple successful seasons in the CFL.

Steelcitygal87
02-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Not exactly true. The CFL is a different game where the field is longer and wider, your QB's need to be mobile and have really strong arms to throw on that wide field and quicker RB's like this guy Logan can operate in that space. Joe Montana could not throw a deep out pattern in the CFL.

Joe Theismann, Doug Flutie, Erik Kramer, Tom Cousineau, Rocket Ismail are just a few guys that came out of that league to play in the NFL. Likewise, former Steelers picks that never made the team have played well in the CFL (LaVar Glover, Tee Martin, D.J. Flick, Mike Adams)

Watch for former Penn St DE Cam Wake in Miami this year. The Dolphins just picked him up after a couple successful seasons in the CFL.

Warren Moon(Edmonton Eskimos), is another great player who not only is in the NFL Football HOF, but the Canadian Football HOF as well. The only player to be in both.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Warren Moon(Edmonton Eskimos), is another great player who not only is in the NFL Football HOF, but the Canadian Football HOF as well. The only player to be in both.

Thanks!! Dont know how I forgot that one. Moon had the arm strength and athleticism to play inthe CFL and was great!!

Terry Metcalfe was another guy that was a solid returner in the NFL. Vince Ferragamo from the Rams jumped to the CFL for $$$$ but couldnt play on the big field.

KeiselPower99
02-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Our former Qb coach Tom Clements was all CFL back when he played.

Steelcitygal87
02-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks!! Dont know how I forgot that one. Moon had the arm strength and athleticism to play inthe CFL and was great!!

Terry Metcalfe was another guy that was a solid returner in the NFL. Vince Ferragamo from the Rams jumped to the CFL for $$$$ but couldnt play on the big field.

You're welcome :) . I am just wondering, since you know a lot about the CFL, is there anything rules wise or how the game is played, that you prefer over the NFL?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2009, 03:41 PM
You're welcome :) . I am just wondering, since you know a lot about the CFL, is there anything rules wise or how the game is played, that you prefer over the NFL?

Only thing I really like is there is no fair catch!!!! Punt returners get a 5 yard buffer zone before they touch the football and THEY MUST RETURN THE PUNT!!!

Much better than a guy waiving for a fair catch on the 10 yard line. :thumbsup: Anything you like better??

HometownGal
02-15-2009, 03:58 PM

Hamilton, Ontario is my birthplace and you are right - it is a LOT like the Burgh, only smaller! :drink:

I enjoy watching CFL games when I'm able. :thumbsup:

Steelcitygal87
02-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Only thing I really like is there is no fair catch!!!! Punt returners get a 5 yard buffer zone before they touch the football and THEY MUST RETURN THE PUNT!!!

Much better than a guy waiving for a fair catch on the 10 yard line. :thumbsup: Anything you like better??

I LIKE your thinking!! To me that makes the game even more exciting, when the player knows he has to catch the ball and take off, no matter where he is on the field! :tt03:

These are a few things I like about the Canadian game:

All offensive backfield players are allowed to be in motion before the snap(except the qb), and they can move in any direction as long as they are behind the LOS at the snap of the ball. I like this because with all that movement it often causes confusion for the defense as to where these players are going to be at the snap of the ball.

I like the fact that the Canadian game allows for more open plays than the NFL, one main reason for this is their defensive line rule. As you know, the defensive line can only hold up a receiver within one yard of the LOS, as opposed to five yards in the NFL. Generally, the 'big play' is more important in the Canadian game(which speaks to your first post about all the NFL qbs that have had success in the CFL because of their arm strength), and offensive series are more difficult to manage because only having three downs gives less room for experimentation and short rush attempts; the same ten yards must be gained with one fewer try....so from a strategical standpoint, makes for an interesting game.

KeiselPower99
02-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Id almost like the xfl rule where if is a punt over 25 yards its a live ball.

BlastFurnace
02-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Id almost like the xfl rule where if is a punt over 25 yards its a live ball.

I loved the XFL coin flip. Where the ball was placed at the 50 and the players ran for it to see who recovered the football. Hilarious!

Brings back memories of:

He Hate Me
Deathblow
and others...

I still have the XFL Championship game on tape in my study. It was "Pick 6's" (Tommy Maddox) XFL Shining Moment. To me, his greatest moment was the Cleveland playoff game of 2002 though.

But...the greatest challenge to the NFL was the USFL...that was total greatness. I loved that league. The Pittsburgh team was dreadfull though. If there was a team I followed from the USFL, it was the Philadelphia Stars.

KeiselPower99
02-15-2009, 07:17 PM
I really liked the XFL. It got a lot of bad press and it was somewhat deserved but hell there was some good football in there sometimes. Vinnie Mac could have done more to separate the XFL and the WWF.

Stlrs4Life
02-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Have you watched many CFL games?(just curious). I have seen quite a few, and while I definitely prefer American football, I do enjoy watching the Canadian game as well. As you probably know there are many differences between the two, one of the biggest being.........punts are more common in Canadian football because the offense has only three tries to attain a first down compared to four in our game. Accordingly, special teams make a larger contribution to the team's success. So Logan has had lots of opportunity to work on his skills as kick returner...which, is one of the areas where the Steelers think he will be such an asset to our team. :tt03:

Excellent post.

Steelcitygal87
02-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Excellent post.

Thank you

OneForTheToe
02-16-2009, 02:37 AM
Don't forget about Ricky Williams. He played in the CFL for a few hours. Rumor has it he didn't much like living in Canada. Something about the growing season being too short? :noidea:

:wink02:

Galax Steeler
02-16-2009, 04:33 AM
I loved the XFL coin flip. Where the ball was placed at the 50 and the players ran for it to see who recovered the football. Hilarious!

That was the best part of the whole game when they would all scramble to see who would come up with the ball.

Preacher
02-16-2009, 05:15 AM
Don't forget Doug Flutie.

He was up there for a long time.

To say the CFL is an amateur league is quite ignorant. It is built on different principles and philosophies.

Heck, I would think that about a third of the teams in the NFL, if they played by CFL rules, would have a hard time winning in the CFL.

Player for player, the NFL has the better players. Talent is drawn by money. But don't cut short a league that you really don't know about.

Steelcitygal87
02-16-2009, 05:53 AM
Don't forget Doug Flutie

He was up there for a long time.

To say the CFL is an amateur league is quite ignorant. It is built on different principles and philosophies.

Heck, I would think that about a third of the teams in the NFL, if they played by CFL rules, would have a hard time winning in the CFL.

Player for player, the NFL has the better players. Talent is drawn by money. But don't cut short a league that you really don't know about.

He was already mentioned, by El-Gonzo Jackson.

ricksteelers55
02-16-2009, 02:52 PM
I forgot about Wake signing with Miami. That could be a major pickup for the fins. There is a bunch of guys up there Im suprised the NFL dont look at. Anthony Calvillo qb from the Montreal Alouettes for instance. The guy is Kurt Warner 2 but with a better knowledge of the QB postion.

Calvillo sucks!!!! I have season tickets for the Montreal Alouettes and I can tell you this,the guy is just overrated.He is 1-5 in the grey cup which means he is not a winner(had 2 games in which he had the last drive to score the game winning td or at least the game tying FG)

and btw he was invited by our beloved Steelers a couple years ago he didnt even make it halfway through TC.

CFL isnt a bad league but Id love to see it a 4 down league with no points allowed on touchback

Dino 6 Rings
02-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Here is what I see...

Tomlin is not going to allow anyone on this team get complacent. Like what happened after XL. We got lazy and didn't improve or push ourselves to be better.

Tomlin is going to bring in guys at every position except one (QB) to compete. RBs will now have to work harder, including Mendenhall, Moore and Willie, not to mention Davis and Russell. They will have to compete for their jobs and show their value to the team.

He'll bring in Dlinement, Olinement, LBs, Corners, Wide Receivers and bring in guys that are hungry and will work hard and push the Vets into working even harder. he needs to fuel the fire, and one way to do that is Threaten Jobs.

Want to not work? Fine, Get out, this machine will move along without you. He was already talking about "next season" the same night he won the Super Bowl. This guy isn't driving by the Results, he's Driven by the Journey. I like what I see, and the more people he brings in to push for jobs, the better I like it.

KeiselPower99
02-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Calvillo sucks!!!! I have season tickets for the Montreal Alouettes and I can tell you this,the guy is just overrated.He is 1-5 in the grey cup which means he is not a winner(had 2 games in which he had the last drive to score the game winning td or at least the game tying FG)

and btw he was invited by our beloved Steelers a couple years ago he didnt even make it halfway through TC.

CFL isnt a bad league but Id love to see it a 4 down league with no points allowed on touchback

I didnt know he was invited to camp. I remember his name coming up though. With the 1-5 record in the Grey Cup he is kinda like Warner all thrills only 1 title. The backup the Als have how good is he?? I think his name is Marcus Brady.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-16-2009, 11:04 PM
I didnt know he was invited to camp. I remember his name coming up though. With the 1-5 record in the Grey Cup he is kinda like Warner all thrills only 1 title. The backup the Als have how good is he?? I think his name is Marcus Brady.

Lots of guys from the CFL get invited to NFL camps and some stick like Flutie, Kramer, Theismann, Moon etc and others have a cup of coffee and go back (Dave Dickinson, Ricky Ray, Henry Burress, DJ Flick, etc. )because the skill set needed is different.

I think most NFL teams are aware of guys playing well in the CFL, but only those with the kind of skills that will work in the NFL game will get a contract or an invite. Somebody compared Logan to a Sproles kind of player and that is very good comparison. I hope he can make it work, but if not there isnt much lost.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Don't forget about Ricky Williams. He played in the CFL for a few hours. Rumor has it he didn't much like living in Canada. Something about the growing season being too short? :noidea:

Yeah, but he was on the wrong side of Canada. B.C. bud is the world's best weed.........uh, I mean that is what I have been told. :rolleyes:

Petesburgh66
02-17-2009, 10:39 PM

If this is a rumor, it should be shot down.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-ricky1203,0,3858380.story

Ricky loved his stay in Toronto with the Argos. I remember him stating this in a interview with the Fan590. The problem with Ricky's stay in Toronto was that he owes money . The only way to get a bigger pay check was to head back to the NFL.

And if the CFL is minor league, how come Ricky or alot of other ex-NFLs can't tear up the league? It's a different game.

And just for laughs about the differences, eh....

Q. Why are they punting, its only 3rd down?!
A. We only have 3 downs instead of 4. We don't need 4 shots to make 10 yards.

Q. They don't seem to be taking as long in the huddle between plays...
A. Very astute. Canadian football uses a 20 second clock instead of the 40 second one used in the NFL. We don't need as much time to figure out what play we're going to run.

Q. My TV set must be broken...that field looks way too big.
A. Adjust nothing my friend! The CFL field is wider than the NFL counterpart, and is also longer (110 yards compared to 100). In addition, our goal posts are at the front of the endzone, not the back (but our endzones are bigger as well)

Q. Why don't these guys ever call for a fair catch?!
A. There is no fair catch in CFL...you pay to play, so suck it up and run the return! To be fair though, defenders need to keep 5 yards of distance before the returner takes possesion.

Q. The ball looks weird.
A. In Canada, our balls are bigger.

Q. They made a mistake...the team punted the ball into the endzone and they gave them a point.
A. Yes, you score one point for kicking the ball through the endzone or if the other team gives up a touchback.

Q. Are the receivers allowed to run to the line of scrimmage?
A. Yes, in the CFL you can have multiple players in motion before the snap.

Q. The timekeeper is messing up! After a run play, the clock doesn't keep running!
A. In the CFL, the clock starts when the ref whistles play in.

http://geekswithblogs.net/dlussier/archive/2006/11/17/97464.aspx

OneForTheToe
02-18-2009, 02:07 AM
If this is a rumor, it should be shot down.

A rumor? No .... it was a joke, about Dr. Toke.:wink02:

Notice - :wink02:

FWIIW, I found the CFL enjoyable the few time I have watched it. I wouldn't trade it for USA football, but enjoyable nevertheless.

Q. The ball looks weird.
A. In Canada, our balls are bigger.

Not according to the moyal on South Park.:chuckle::wink02: