PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite NFL Combine Event?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Ok draft degenerates.....the combine is almost here. What timed event or drill do you like to watch the most at the combine??

-40 yard dash
-vertical leap
-bench press
-broad jump
-short shuttle or long shuttle
-3 cone drill

or in drills

-D lineman read and react
-WR- TE gauntlet receiving drill
-DB read and react
-QB passing drills
-O line mirror drills
-LB drop and cover

lilyoder6
02-15-2009, 07:45 PM
i am torn between the 40 and the bench press.... i am always excited 2 see how fast ppl can run and how much they can put up 225.. and then u see like a qb or w/e put up 22 reps

The Duke
02-15-2009, 10:28 PM
My guess is most people would choose the 40 yard dash.That's the one I'm least interested in honestly. overated

But my favorite would be the short shuttle. that to me is more of a challenge

btw, are all of these going to be on nfl network?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Yeah, all of them are usually on NFL network.

I am a lineman junkie, so I like watching the D-linemen read and react to see what kind of movement and agility they possess.
-O linemen do a mirror drill and you can tell a lot of how agile they are and if they get low or stand too tall.
- The WR-TE's running the gauntlet and catching passes thrown at them from alternating sides of the field is cool too. Love watching guys catch with their hands instead of their gut.

Of all the events with scoring, I like the bench press. No preparation camp like the 40 to help with your starting technique. Just you, 225lbs and John Lott yelling at you "COME ON MEATHEAD.....LOCK IT OUT!!!!"

Sorry, I am a degenerate that likes to watch the combine. :doh:

Boston_22407
02-16-2009, 03:42 AM
When is the combine ??

Galax Steeler
02-16-2009, 04:39 AM
I like watching the bench press and the vertical leap.

SteelCurtain7
02-16-2009, 05:35 AM
I do not watch the combine. Sorry, it bores me.

LambertIsGod58
02-16-2009, 05:43 AM
The 40...most definately

HometownGal
02-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Though I like all of 'em, I like the short shuttle and the DB read and react the best. :thumbsup:

Steelcitygal87
02-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Ok draft degenerates.....the combine is almost here. What timed event or drill do you like to watch the most at the combine??

-40 yard dash
-vertical leap
-bench press
-broad jump
-short shuttle or long shuttle
-3 cone drill

or in drills

-D lineman read and react
-WR- TE gauntlet receiving drill
-DB read and react
-QB passing drills
-O line mirror drills
-LB drop and cover

I find the D-lineman read and react, short shuttle, 3 cone drill..the most interesting to watch.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-16-2009, 09:05 AM
When is the combine ??

February 18 - 24

I personally (as a draft geek) pay the most attention to the 20 Yard Shuttle.... it"s the best indicater of lateral quickness

Secondly I like the 40 yard dash but watch the times at intervals of 10, 20, and 40 yards. explosion off the line is tested with the 10 and 20 yard times...40 is only good to evaluate straight line speed for skill positions.

TXSteelerFan
02-17-2009, 12:11 PM
I like to watch the 40 yard dash for the LBers, but I grow more tiresome each year when watching the CB's run it and having to hear about Deion Sanders 40 yard dash time.

Other then that I like the Vertical Leap.

tony hipchest
02-19-2009, 09:45 PM
cool article on the subject on the top 10 things to watch for. i found the following particularly interesting-

Viewer's guide to the combine

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d80ed0f3f&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

6. Significance of certain workouts
Not every test has the same value to every position. An offensive tackle's 40 time isn't as important as a wide receiver's. A receiver's bench press results don't mean as much as an inside linebacker's. A cornerback's vertical leap means more to most scouts than a center's jump. The problem today for most scouts when they break down the test results is figuring out how much of what they just measured is manufactured -- an illusion that is the product of spending six to eight weeks doing nothing but practicing for these drills.

I look for two things as the test results come in over the weekend. Was a player's short shuttle time close to half-a-second under his 40 time? For example, a linebacker who runs 4.9 in the 40 appears too slow -- but if his short shuttle is under 4.4, he's worth a longer look because he can move with quickness. I also like to add up the bench press, vertical leap and the standing broad jump to get a feel for the explosive nature of the athlete. Thirty reps on the bench, a 10-foot broad jump and a 32-inch vertical leap add up to 72. Any combination close to 70 is good.A number of NFL people are interested in the 10-yard split in the 40. When you watch the combine, you will notice evaluators such as Bill Parcells and Gil Brandt sitting near the start of the 40-yard dash, watching the first 10 yards. Al Davis and Ron Wolf were always seated in the same spot for years
never heard of adding the 3 numbers for "explosiveness".

4. Interview flops and pops
So many players come to the combine prepped for their interviews with team reps. They can spit out canned answers all night long. Coaches and front office people need to be good interviewers to drill down and break through the pre-combine interview prep. The mission of the interview is to really find out how much these guys love football, what they know about the game and an indication of their football intelligence. Word will travel fast about which players flop in the interview process and which guys light up the room. I will host my Sirius radio show from the combine Sunday and Monday, and hopefully I will get some feedback from the completed interviews. I have already met with a number of players headed to Indy and I'm pretty sure players such as center Alex Mack, RB Knowshon Moreno, FB Tony Fiammetta, WR Brian Robiskie, DE Connor Barwin, DE Lawrence Sidbury, DT B.J. Raji, and LB Larry English will do well in the interview segment of the weekend.
televising the interviews would be some good "reality tv". im sure hbo and the cowboys have already considered it.

7. Coaching business
The combine is usually the last opportunity to fill out a coaching staff. I have had a number of friends get coordinator jobs or position coaching spots at the combine. Keep an eye on the stands during the TV coverage and watch for a head coach with an opening on his staff sitting with an unemployed coach.
aint nuthin like an impromptu job intervies.

10. St. Elmo
Every night of the combine, St. Elmo Steak House on South Illinois Street is packed with NFL people talking football, the results of the day's testing and what's going on around the league. If you're in town and lucky enough to get a table, you won't believe the number of NFL faces coming and going. From Jerry Jones to Bill Belichick to most of the new head coaches around the NFL, a stop at St. Elmo' is on everyone's to-do list.

steak - $40
salad - $7
conversations overheard - priceless

steelerbackr4life
02-19-2009, 10:03 PM
I like the gauntlet