PDA

View Full Version : Bradshaw marvels at Roethlisberger's poise

devilsdancefloor
02-15-2009, 10:34 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/cbssports/story/11334713

Terry Bradshaw roared at the question.

"Is Ben Roethlisberger more mature than I was at 26?" he repeated. "He's more mature than I am now!"

Bradshaw won his first of four Super Bowls with the Steelers when he was 26, and the excitement/debate has already begun. With two Super Bowl titles, Ben is now halfway to Bradshaw. Do they compare?

"He is far more accurate than I was," Bradshaw said, "but I was faster. And I was big, but never this big. I played my first Super Bowl at 208 pounds. Ben's about 260."

Hard to believe Terry would exaggerate -- 240 is more like it. But both men have been known for being hard to bring down. While Bradshaw was more elusive, Ben has been the Plymouth Rock, just standing there when being assaulted on all sides.

"He's so athletic, so strong mentally and physically," Bradshaw said. "At that age, I couldn't even warm him up."

Another slight exaggeration.

Bradshaw threw for 27,989 yards, winning 107 games for the Steelers between 1970 and 1983. None of the Steelers quarterbacks who followed him came close to his combination of skills -- not Bubby Brister nor Mark Malone nor Tommy Maddox nor Neil O'Donnell. Even Kordell Stewart, whose rushing ability equaled his arm, combined for only 15,889 yards, second in Steelers history. (i can wait until ben passes the experiment `DDF)

Roethlisberger became the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl at age 23. Back then, he admitted, he was, "along for the ride." The ride was a bus, and everybody piled on to get Jerome Bettis a ring before he retired. Roethlisberger was particularly disappointing, with a 22.6 passer rating -- the lowest in history for the winning quarterback.

This time, Big Ben was in charge.

Ben Roethlisberger is one-up on Terry Bradshaw in Super Bowl last-minute TD passes. (AP) "He's insanely competitive," defensive end Brett Keiser said. "Never, never bet against him."

Teammates say he won't even hold the door open for them if it means they'll beat him to somewhere he's going.

It was evident in the fourth quarter. Bradshaw, the Hall of Fame standard by which all Steelers quarterbacks are measured, never had to bring his team back the length of the field with a world championship on the line. Big Ben was ready.

Roethlisberger's 6-yard symphony to Santonio Holmes with 35 seconds left to rally Pittsburgh to a 27-23 victory against Arizona finished an equally breathtaking eight-play drive from the Steelers 22, in which Roethlisberger completed five of seven passes and scrambled for 4 yards.

He told his team it was "now or never," and though the dramatic pass to Holmes had a fancy name, Roethlisberger said it was basically, "drop back, scramble right, scramble left, then find someone open."

He said this drive, this victory, was deeply satisfying, and that the touchdown will "probably be remembered for decades to come."

Roethlisberger's passion and determination, like Bradshaw's, fit the franchise and its people.

"We're both tough, both hard-headed," Bradshaw said. "Pittsburgh loves that."

Bradshaw had the support of two Hall of Fame receivers, Lynn Swann and John Stallworth. It is unlikely that either of Roethlisberger's targets, Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes (glorified as he is right now), is headed to Canton.

"We both know that our defense is the cornerstone of the Pittsburgh Steelers," Bradshaw said. "Always has been."

Bradshaw's teams sent four defensive players to the Hall of Fame -- Mt. Rushmore names like Greene, Ham, Blount and Lambert. It remains to be seen if Troy Polamalu or James Harrison will be so decorated.

Neither player should be defined by his statistics. Bradshaw went to only three Pro Bowls in his glorious career. Ben has been to one. Instead, both will be remembered for their punishing plays and the punishment they endured.

"Ben has much more poise than I had at that age," Bradshaw said, "but there's one place we're exactly the same: we're both leaders."

fansince'76
02-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Great article. Still give the edge to Bradshaw in leadership ability as he truly did call all his own plays, but Ben's catching up quick.

KeiselPower99
02-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Nice read.

Preacher
02-15-2009, 10:57 PM
That is some high praise from Bradshaw. I hope Ben understands just how much he is being praised right now.

I keep forgetting Ben is 26, which means he probably has another 10 years left with us. I hope to see at least another 3-4 rings from him in that time!!

PisnNapalm
02-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Ben calls some of the plays during 2 minute drills. He's smart and knows what works.

WWIIOwheelz
02-15-2009, 11:18 PM
That is some high praise from Bradshaw. I hope Ben understands just how much he is being praised right now.

I really think he does, preacher, and I've given that a lot of thought myself. He's a special, special player, no doubt about it.

He's just one of the reasons we are the luckiest football fans in the world, albeit one of the biggest ones. I'm still riding on a cloud, myself.

MACH1
02-15-2009, 11:22 PM

I keep forgetting Ben is 26, which means he probably has another 10 years left with us. I hope to see at least another 3-4 rings from him in that time!!

I hope your right. But the front office needs to keep a good team around him in the coming years.

bratsinmybelly
02-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Let's just hope that we never have to be subjected to a full shot of Big Ben's 50+ year old ass on TV like we were with Bradshaw in tonight's "Failure to Launch" replay............awful. just awful!

Galax Steeler
02-16-2009, 04:23 AM
It is great to see Ben ranked right there with Bradshaw.I beleive Ben will pass him for the most yards by a steeler quarterback before he is done.

stillers4me
02-16-2009, 05:28 AM
Let's just hope that we never have to be subjected to a full shot of Big Ben's 50+ year old ass on TV like we were with Bradshaw in tonight's "Failure to Launch" replay............awful. just awful!

The nekkid room. :yikes:

Michael Keller
02-16-2009, 05:30 AM
Bradshaw was great. Strong arm and was able to challenge defensive backs witn zip and accuracy. But Ben is head and shoulders over Terry in leadership at this juncture of his career. Terry was just starting to find himself in his 5th year but prior years he was struggling not only on the field but emotionally off the field. Quite frankly I do not believe Noll handled Terry very well. Noll didn"t have patience with Bradshaw's sensitive make up.

Give Ben the talents of Franco, Rocky, Fuqua , the Steeler quick trapping offensive line and add in a Swan and a Stallworth then there would be no comparison.

OK lets quit dreaming just give him a good offensive line beginning this offseason and the Steelers are on the hunt for number 7. I think Ben's got a chance for 5 Super Bowls , maybe more.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Bradshaw had the support of two Hall of Fame receivers, Lynn Swann and John Stallworth. It is unlikely that either of Roethlisberger's targets, Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes (glorified as he is right now), is headed to Canton.

Ward has a chance to go to Canton. Holmes has a lot of time to prove him self. Maybe 3 more superbowls then they will get recognized.

:tt03:

Dino 6 Rings
02-16-2009, 10:35 AM
If Bradshaw says it, it must be true.

Ben is a great QB.

JEFF4i
02-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Huge compliment, but its hard watching the old Bradshaw games and not thinking the world of him.

steel striker
02-16-2009, 02:13 PM
A great read and, I stiil think some people forgot how well Ben played for us to get to sb XL. Not to mention that little tackle Ben mad as well and, yes I know Ben and the media really harped on his Sb Xl qb rating. I still like watching those great victories in the 70's. Bradshaw was such a big game qb making those long passes to Stallworth & Swanny. That great defense man and, now we are seeing the great defense and, the our current day great qb know as big Ben. I can't wait for next year.

Cordlisberger
02-16-2009, 03:50 PM
There is no other QB I would want in Bens place past or present he is only 26 with 2 rings and probably not at the height of his career or ability's I look forward to next season and another ring in Bens future lets call it the "Stairway to Seven"

Benzbrother
02-16-2009, 04:10 PM
sweet article

lilyoder6
02-16-2009, 04:37 PM
thats a good article.. bradshaw knows what it is

hindes204
02-16-2009, 11:35 PM
nice read.........and i think Ben is just getting warmed up................has training camp started yet, im ready for football......this off-seson s*&^ is for the birds

SC Steeler Steve
02-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Ben will be mentioned in the best of all time category when he is all said and done... JMO

SteelersMongol
02-17-2009, 02:24 AM
Praise from Bradshaw is just priceless. :hatsoff: Hopefully Ben can get back 2 him with something from the bottom of his heart in return. The old man deserves it.

Bradshaw is the GREATEST! He can show whatever that is his on TV. :flap: