View Full Version : Big Ben proves he's worth the drama

mesaSteeler
02-16-2009, 03:29 AM
Big Ben proves he's worth the drama
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_611866.html#
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, February 16, 2009

It doesn't matter that some of the talking heads on ESPN labeled Ben Roethlisberger a so-called drama queen because he has a reputation for dramatizing his injuries.

What's important is that Roethlisberger is a so-called drama queen who has won two Super Bowl championships in his first five NFL seasons.

A little drama never hurt anybody.

The Steelers pay Big Ben big bucks because he makes plays other quarterbacks can only dream of pulling off.

His oh-no-he-didn't sideways scramble followed by a 14-yard zinger to Santonio Holmes late in Super Bowl XLIII was the play that set the game-winning drive in motion.

Roethlisberger will never throw a more perfect pass than his 6-yard, tight-spiral masterpiece to Holmes in the back corner of the end zone to beat the Arizona Cardinals.

It took one of the greatest throws in Super Bowl history to result in arguably the greatest catch in Super Bowl lore.

Roethlisberger delivered the ball to the one spot where only Holmes could make the catch.

It's a throw that will stand the test of time, the way Lynn Swann's juggling, lunging, 53-yard grab against Dallas in Super Bowl X still produces goose bumps every time you watch the replay.

The trick is knowing when to make the throw of a lifetime.

Roethlisberger knows. He's blessed with an impeccable sense of timing.

The only thing more spectacular than Roethlisberger pulling off the touchdown drive for the ages is him doing it as a member of the walking wounded.

It makes for a better story.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Ben has earned the right to be Ben.

Instead of over-analyzing why Roethlisberger told SI.com he played Super Bowl XLIII with multiple broken ribs but didn't bother telling his coach, why not sit back and enjoy the ride?

You haven't seen anything yet.

The only thing that's more high maintenance than a quarterback with one Super Bowl ring is a two-time Super Bowl champion.

Let the fun begin.

The fascinating disconnect between Roethlisberger and the Steelers over the severity of his injuries this season is well-documented.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert seemed to delight in denying any knowledge of Roethlisberger's broken ribs, as much as Ben seemed to enjoy talking about them.

What's that all about?

Aren't the star quarterback and his team supposed to be on the same page?

Apparently not. Ben's injury shouldn't have been a surprise to the Steelers, unless Colbert is an incredibly good actor.

Give Ben his due please.

He loves the attention befitting a player of his stature. And in this case being the winning quarterback in Super Bowl XLIII he deserves every accolade coming his way.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Images and text copyright 2009 by The Tribune-Review Publishing Co.
Reproduction or reuse prohibited without written consent from PghTrib.com

paw-n-maul-u
02-16-2009, 03:37 AM
If Big Ben is a drama queen, then what is Brett Favre?

HometownGal
02-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Instead of over-analyzing why Roethlisberger told SI.com he played Super Bowl XLIII with multiple broken ribs but didn't bother telling his coach, why not sit back and enjoy the ride?

I ask myself the same question when I read some of the threads on this board. :doh:

I'm going to enjoy this ride for a long, long time! :tt03:

Morgan
02-16-2009, 08:23 AM

A drama queen who has only won ONE super bowl? :) :tt:

Dino 6 Rings
02-16-2009, 08:31 AM

Um...Brett never missed a start due to injury. The guy is a stud for all his "drama".

Morgan
02-16-2009, 08:33 AM
That's true... he never missed a start. He got sacked a lot less, I believe. But he DID lose a Super Bowl.....I'll take the trade. 20 years from now packer fans can all high-five each other because Brett didn't miss a start, and Steelers fans could theoretically be cheering the fact that we have 2 qbs in team history with 4 rings each..I think that'd be cooler. LOL

lilyoder6
02-16-2009, 08:46 AM
maybe bem never got the lead role when he was in school.. and no he is making up for lost time

PisnNapalm
02-16-2009, 09:40 AM

He's William ****ing Shakespeare.

mesaSteeler
02-16-2009, 09:59 AM

Hamlet

drew102e
02-16-2009, 10:04 AM
yeah he may be a drama queen, but he is our drama queen

fansince'76
02-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Instead of over-analyzing why Roethlisberger told SI.com he played Super Bowl XLIII with multiple broken ribs but didn't bother telling his coach....

Maybe because the MRI that actually revealed the hairline fractures was taken four days AFTER the SB? Try and keep up, Mr. Harris. :coffee:

steel striker
02-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Well if those called experts and reporters would have actually watched the afccg against the rats Ben was speared a few times plus half a dozen late hits which were not called maybe they would have a clue about Ben's ribs. They all can say what they want but, I for one am glad that ben is our guy at the helm. He is a beast.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-16-2009, 03:32 PM
I was watching Jim rome a couple of days after the game and they were on the last segment of the show. Wher jim Rome and two sports writers talk about the current events in sports.

The subject was , Has Ben arrived as an Elite QB with Peyton, and Brady. Rome agreed as well as one reporter did. But this other guy just straight up put his foot in his mouth and it became a pretty heated debate between the 2 reporters.

Reporter 1: No , I don't think that Ben is there yet. If you were to put Peyton on the steelers with that Defense he would have won more titles by now.

Reporter 2: Well what if you but Ben with the Colts O -Line and Wide outs, wouldn't that play a factor.

Reporter 1: No, I don't think Ben can put the ball in his receivers hands like Peyton or Brady does.

Reporter 2: Ummm, did you see the offense play for the Steelers?

Then the camera cuts to Jim Rome, who has the biggest smirk on his face :chuckle:

Reporter 1 was speechless after that fumbling over his words and just repeating how Ben isn't there yet.

NOW THAT IS HOW YOU DEBATE!-Will Farrel (Old School)

fansince'76
02-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Reporter 1: No , I don't think that Ben is there yet. If you were to put Peyton on the steelers with that Defense he would have won more titles by now.

Please. Put that statue Peyton behind the OL Ben has spent the last 3 seasons getting beaten to shit behind and he'd be on IR by week 5. Same goes for Brady. :coffee:

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Please. Put that statue Peyton behind the OL Ben has spent the last 3 seasons getting beaten to shit behind and he'd be on IR by week 5. Same goes for Brady. :coffee:

Exactly what i was thinking. Next time i watch the show and he is on I will try to catch his name. He has caught my attentions with his stupidity.

SteelCurtain7
02-16-2009, 04:16 PM

"Quantum smackclown." :rofl:

The_WARDen
02-16-2009, 04:25 PM

Brady didn't even make it to week 5 last year....

steelpride12
02-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Ben will always be a drama queen in the eyes on non Steeler fans. Ya he gets hurt alot and sacked alot, but hmm 2 Super Bowl Rings.

cowboykilla
02-16-2009, 11:39 PM
I'll bet that he wins two more in the next five years.

Galax Steeler
02-17-2009, 04:30 AM
I don't care if Ben is a drama queen,as long as he keeps playing like he has been.

iloveben7
02-17-2009, 12:13 PM
I guess Ben will always have the title of being a drama queen because he doesn't get any respect from the media or non-Steeler fans or even some Steeler fans, but I could care less what other people think because Ben is tough as steel and has 2 rings in his jewelry box and I see at least 2 more in the next 5 years!!

Fire Haley
02-17-2009, 12:21 PM
If we got a decent O-line in front of him, Ben wouldn't have all them new injuries to talk about.

steelax04
02-17-2009, 01:25 PM
If this is the height of the Steelers' drama, I'll take it. Leave the murderers, Pacmans, and retiring/un-retiring/retiring QBs to the other teams.

steelax04
02-17-2009, 01:28 PM
I was watching Jim rome a couple of days after the game and they were on the last segment of the show. Wher jim Rome and two sports writers talk about the current events in sports.

The subject was , Has Ben arrived as an Elite QB with Peyton, and Brady. Rome agreed as well as one reporter did. But this other guy just straight up put his foot in his mouth and it became a pretty heated debate between the 2 reporters.

Reporter 2: Well what if you but Ben with the Colts O -Line and Wide outs, wouldn't that play a factor.

Reporter 1: No, I don't think Ben can put the ball in his receivers hands like Peyton or Brady does.

Reporter 2: Ummm, did you see the offense play for the Steelers?

Then the camera cuts to Jim Rome, who has the biggest smirk on his face :chuckle:

Reporter 1 was speechless after that fumbling over his words and just repeating how Ben isn't there yet.

NOW THAT IS HOW YOU DEBATE!-Will Farrel (Old School)

Is there a link for this?? I'd love to see it. :chuckle:

7SteelGal43
02-17-2009, 01:41 PM
This article should be the official argument as to why Ben coulda (shoulda?) been named Super Bowl MVP. I know, he didn't have the numbers Warner had in the game, and that's why you got Tone with the MVP(which is fine, ya know his catches did garner such an award) but WOW....just goes to show the Ben haters that numbers don't necessarily bring home Lombardis !!!