PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign defensive end

mesaSteeler
02-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Steelers sign defensive end
Monday, February 16, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09047/949523-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

The Steelers announced the signing of defensive end Jordan Reffett to their roster today, joining 10 others they added last week.

Reffett, an undrafted rookie from Washington, spent training camp with the Steelers and then two weeks on their practice squad in October. He is 6-4, 292.

First published on February 16, 2009 at 11:30 am

mesaSteeler
02-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Jordan Reffett

Player Profile
Hometown:
Moses Lake, Wash.
High School:
Moses Lake
Height / Weight:
6-6 / 295

Position:
DT
Experience:
3V
Major:
Political Science

Jordan Reffett spent the 2007 summer working as an intern at the Pacific Institute, which teaches individuals and organizations how to manage change, set and achieve goals, lead more effectively and think in ways that create success.

2007: Became only the third player in the 100-year history of the award to win the Guy Flaherty Award twice, taking the team's top honor at the postseason awards banquet for a second straight season ... the Flaherty Award is given to the team's most inspirational player and is the oldest and most prestigious team honor at Washington ... also won the L. Wait Rising Lineman of the Year award and was named a team captain ... earned honorable mention All-Pac-10 and Academic All-Pac-10 ... started all 13 games at one defensive tackle spot ... five tackles, one and a half for loss and one sack in season opener at Syracuse ... one tackle (for loss) in win over Boise State ... three tackles, one tackle for loss vs. Ohio State ... three tackles at UCLA ... five tackles (one TFL) vs. USC ... two and a half tackles for loss, one and a half sacks and five tackles at Stanford ... three tackles, one for loss and a forced fumble in win over California ... blocked a field goal vs. Boise State and Ohio State ... two tackles, both for loss, and a sack at Hawaii ... named team's weekly MVP after the Arizona game.

2006: Won the UW's Guy Flaherty Award, the team's oldest and most prestigious honor, as the Huskies' most inspirational player ... played in all 12 games during the season, starting in five: vs. Fresno State, California, Arizona State, Stanford and Washington State ... had a season-high six tackles, including two quarterback sacks for losses of 14 yards, in the Stanford game ... four tackles at Cal ... four tackles, including a sack in the Apple Cup win at Washington State ... two tackles, including one for a loss, vs. San Jose State ... won the UW's Pepsi Player of the Week Award after the Cal game.

2005: Played in five games as a reserve defensive lineman in 2005 ... had one tackle vs. Cal in first action of season ... also added a tackle at Oregon.

2004: Played both offense and defense in 2004 ... was moved to offensive line to add depth prior to the 2004 season ... did not see any action on offense, and was switched back to defense before the Oregon game ... played several snaps against Oregon, and also saw action vs. Washington State.

2003: Redshirted the 2003 season on the defensive line ... , deferred enrollment at Washington until January 2003 and participated in 2003 spring drills.

HIGH SCHOOL & PERSONAL: A 2002 graduate of Moses Lake HS ... helped Moses Lake to a 7-4 record in 2001 and a berth in the state 4A playoffs ... a first-team Class 4A All-State selection by the Associated Press ... defensively, tallied 55 tackles, 11 tackles-for-loss, 13 sacks and six forced fumbles ... on offense, made 11 receptions for 242 yards and two touchdowns ... was named the 2001 Big Nine Conference Player of the Year ... an honorable mention "Northwest Nugget" selection by the Tacoma News-Tribune ... selected as a "red chip" prospect by the Seattle Times ... a member of the Tacoma News-Tribune's "Western 100" ... earned second-team All-Big Nine honors as a fullback in 2000, racking up nearly 434 yards rushing and six TDs ... added 12 tackles for loss, 11 sacks and four forced fumbles in 2000 ... the ninth-ranked player in SuperPrep's Washington 22 ... a PrepStar All-West Region honoree as an athlete for stellar play on both sides of the ball ...in 1998, became the first freshman ever to letter in football for Moses Lake ... also starred on the basketball court for Moses Lake, receiving four all-league honors and an all-state nod in 2001-02 ... was Moses Lake's all-time leading scorer, rebounder and shot-blocker ... high school coach was Greg Kittrell ... parents are Susan Connelly and Dick Reffett ... father played football at Idaho ... has two brothers, Mitch and Tyler.

Reffett's Career Statistics

TACKLES G UA A Total TFL-Yds PD FF FR Blkd 2004................ 1 0 0 0 0.0-0 0 0 0 0 2005................ 5 1 1 2 0.0-0 0 0 0 0 2006................ 12 9 14 23 3.0-17 0 0 0 0 2007................ 13 28 8 36 10.0-27 4 1 0 2 TOTAL............... 31 38 23 61 13.0-44 4 1 0 2

SACKS G UA A Total Yds 2004................ 1 0 0 0.0 0 2005................ 5 0 0 0.0 0 2006................ 12 2 1 2.5 16 2007................ 13 2 3 3.5 13 TOTAL............... 31 4 4 6.0 29

markymarc
02-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Sounds like a training camp body to me.

KeiselPower99
02-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Ehhh

DACEB
02-16-2009, 01:15 PM
kid played really good in the preseason for us. they just went with the vets.

devilsdancefloor
02-16-2009, 01:22 PM
:noidea: but he might turn out for us he did play well last preseason

fansince'76
02-16-2009, 01:24 PM
(Cheap) youth + depth? :noidea:

HometownGal
02-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Sounds like a training camp body to me.

It's possible, but I don't think so. The kid played fairly well in preseason last year and the Steelers do need to start addressing their depth at the DE slot, as both Keisel and Smith are in their 30's.

Fire Haley
02-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Camp meat.

mesaSteeler
02-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Camp meat.

Maybe not. Remember how many times we cut Silverback before he stuck. I ran across another article that said he was a high character guy who had his head together. The one thing this team does better than any other is to find these unheralded players who turn out to be good. Then again you could be right. Time will tell.

Galax Steeler
02-16-2009, 02:46 PM
I guess we will see it can't hurt to bring him in and see what he has you never know might be a diamond in the rough.

Steely McSmash
02-16-2009, 02:56 PM
I think we need at least one young guy to break the DE corps this year to replace Roye.

This guy should be competing with rookies for the spot.

mesaSteeler
02-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Seems to be a high character guy who is taking care of his family. - mesa
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/PrintStory.pl?document_id=2003843153&zsection_id=2002990514&slug=uwfb19&date=20070819

Reffett is proud 'Pops' of the Huskies

By Bob Condotta

Seattle Times staff reporter

As the oldest member of the Washington Huskies — he turns 24 early next month — defensive tackle Jordan Reffett has the inevitable nickname "Pops."

And of all the things he has ever been called — a list that includes winner of the Guy Flaherty Award as the team's most inspirational player a year ago — it might be the one that makes him most proud.

Age, you see, isn't all there is to that nickname, as becomes evident watching his 1--year-old daughter, Kendall, bound into his arms.

"It's so nice to come home and see her, because she has no idea anything else that's gone on," Reffett said. "She's just so happy."

She is also, in Reffett's opinion, a big reason he has suddenly become a force on Washington's defensive line as he enters his senior season.

The 6-foot-6, 295-pound Moses Lake graduate played sparingly his first two years with the Huskies but says he began to turn things around when he got married three years ago to his high-school sweetheart, Nicole, bought a house in Everett and started a family.

"It makes everything crystal clear about your goals and what you want to do with your life," Reffett said. "Because you have something that is tagging along with you that you have to take care of. It's kind of a motivator, if you will, to be successful in whatever you do."

Nicole Reffett said marriage and fatherhood "helped him settle down a little bit. Helped him focus," adding that previously "he was a little rowdy. He had a good time."

"Nothing too crazy," he said. "But I was just kind of more into hanging out with my buddies and doing things like that instead of schoolwork."

Now, he's already a holder of a degree in political science, and one of the rocks of UW's defensive front four, having moved into the starting lineup midway through last season and making 23 tackles for the year after having made only two his first two seasons.

"I had a rough couple of years here trying to find my place," Reffett said. "But then I just decided to totally commit to being a good football player in all aspects of it and said, 'Let's give it 100 percent and find out just how good you can be,' instead of saying, 'I'm not going to do this because there's a starter here ahead of me,' and having that poor-me-type syndrome. So that's what I did. I sat down and said, 'You know, I'm going to find out how good I can be.' "

Said defensive line coach Randy Hart: "He found out that when you do play hard, you get better."

Even if a lot of his teammates wonder how he balances it all.

He's one of two married players on the team (quarterback Carl Bonnell is the other) and the only one with all the apparent trappings of middle-age maturity — a wife, a kid, a two-bedroom house.

"That would be kind of rough," says receiver Marcel Reece. "But that kind of goes with Jordan being a leader on the field and off the field, in his house and running a household, having kids. He's a big man with a big heart."

It's the latter quality that helped him win the Flaherty, referred to by the school as "the team's oldest and most prestigious award." The honor is especially valued because it is voted on by the team.

"He's just a special guy who uplifts everyone," Reece said.

Kendall, though, helped as well.

"He's up early in the morning doing mat drills [offseason conditioning drills] and he hasn't got much sleep because he has a baby running around — people look up to that," said defensive end Greyson Gunheim, who is Reffett's closest teammate. "A lot of people don't understand how he could do that, but then he comes out here and he has a good attitude and it's like, 'If he's doing it, then I've got to do it.' "

Nicole Reffett supports the family by working as a medical assistant in naturopathic medicine in Lynnwood, which allows Jordan to concentrate on football and studies, and relatives help with baby-sitting. Some UW teammates helped them fix up the house, which they already have plans to sell once school is over, likely making a hefty profit.

The couple grew up in Moses Lake and became good friends in high school — he was a sports star, she was on the drill team — before the relationship turned more serious.

Nicole, however, stayed behind in Moses Lake when Jordan Reffett first came to UW in the winter of 2003.

Reffett, a lifelong UW fan who idolized Steve Emtman and attended many games as a kid with his grandfather — a longtime season-ticket holder who lives in Bellevue — committed on the spot when Rick Neuheisel offered a scholarship in the summer of 2001.

He was part of the Class of 2002 but delayed his enrollment after failing to get the test score he needed. Reffett says some confusion over an English class that ended up not counting required him to need a 1010 on the SAT to get in. He eventually got a 1070 and participated that spring, making him the last still-active player to be coached by Neuheisel, who was fired that summer.

The first few years at UW were rough, with coaching changes, position changes (he played on the offensive and defensive lines in 2004) and being separated from Nicole.

The decision to solve that problem by marrying seemed an obvious one to both, but Jordan said he didn't enter into it lightly, seeking advice from friends and family on the possible difficulty of handling marriage and being a college-football player.

Having a baby wasn't really part of those discussions, both saying it just happened, but when Nicole became pregnant, the two embraced parenthood.

"To me, it was just the culmination of all these great things coming together," Reffett said.

He occasionally brings Kendall to practice, and when she comes to games it means there can be four generations of the family in the stands.

Jordan Reffett also sometimes enlists teammates to help baby-sit, such as when he and Gunheim would meet this summer for conditioning sessions, taking turns running laps.

"He'd watch her while I'd run a lap and then I'd watch her while he runs a lap," said Gunheim, known in the family as Uncle G and who learned quickly that a set of car keys will provide endless fun for Kendall.

Reffett said he hopes the NFL comes calling, something that might have seemed a pipe dream a few years ago when he was languishing on the bench.

But he has already prepared for life after football, as well, having spent the summer interning with The Pacific Institute, a Seattle-based company that helps businesses with organization and motivation, an avenue he may pursue long-term someday.

"Some kids don't turn into men until they are 30, 40 years old," Reffett said. "Luckily, I found the right way to do things here at a younger age and it really helped me out in everything."

Bob Condotta: 206-515-5699 or bcondotta@seattletimes.com. Read his blogs on Washington football at www.seattletimes.com/huskies

Vincent
02-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Camp meat.

FWP. Silverback. Football players. Probowlers. Precedent set.

I have a feeling about this kid and the Capizzi's boy. I think its sooner than later with Capizzi.

KeiselPower99
02-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Maybe not. Remember how many times we cut Silverback before he stuck. I ran across another article that said he was a high character guy who had his head together. The one thing this team does better than any other is to find these unheralded players who turn out to be good. Then again you could be right. Time will tell.

Chris Hoke took 3 years before he contributed.

steelerdave1969
02-16-2009, 03:48 PM
At this point the Steelers must get some depth at the DE position for sure and maybe, just maybe he makes the team this time around..

lilyoder6
02-16-2009, 04:42 PM
he could be a good replacement with his size and all

Steeldude
02-16-2009, 08:55 PM
It's possible, but I don't think so. The kid played fairly well in preseason last year and the Steelers do need to start addressing their depth at the DE slot, as both Keisel and Smith are in their 30's.

yep, and it's not just smith and keisel who are 30+. except for eason everyone across the D-line is 30+ .