PDA

View Full Version : Jags release RB Fred Taylor

Steelcitygal87
02-16-2009, 12:33 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i4LAeaoKzrfFvv6gru1mXCsWvQggD96CQ2SG0

Jaguars release RB Fred Taylor

By MARK LONG 11 minutes ago

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) The Jacksonville Jaguars have released running back Fred Taylor, the latest move in the team's makeover.

Taylor was scheduled to make about $6 million next season, so getting rid of the 11-year veteran was no surprise since he had clearly become the second option behind Maurice Jones-Drew.

The Jaguars might try to re-sign the 33-year-old back. But Taylor has made it clear he still believes he can be a starter in the NFL.

Taylor is 16th on the NFL's all-time rushing list with 11,271 yards, 81 behind John Riggins. He had 556 yards on the ground last season, splitting time with Jones-Drew, and averaged a career-low 3.9 yards a carry behind an injury-riddled offensive line.

The Jaguars released veterans Jerry Porter and Drayton Florence last week.

Fire Haley
02-16-2009, 12:35 PM
I'd rather have Jones-Drew.

Fragile Freddy doesn't have much left, does he?

Dino 6 Rings
02-16-2009, 12:50 PM
I believe this will actually hurt the Jags. Jones-Drew doesn't seem like an every down back to me, he's more a supplemental guy in my mind. They are one step closer to L.A. In my opinion.

Fire Haley
02-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Fred might have a year or two left - hey - he could be our short yardage back - for vet minimum.

A chance to play on a SB winning team?

tony hipchest
02-16-2009, 01:19 PM
i'd take him over gary russell. he's bigger and better in pass protection.

KeiselPower99
02-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Id take Freddy Boy. He seems to play good on our bad turf.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-16-2009, 02:32 PM
If you can get him a cheap price, ya why not? He would help Mendenhall a lot in development! :thumbsup:

fred
02-16-2009, 03:14 PM
If the price was right....Fred would be a good addition......He always ran well against our "D".....tough runner........

HometownGal
02-16-2009, 03:20 PM
If the price was right....Fred would be a good addition......He always ran well against our "D".....tough runner........

I always dreaded playing the Jags because of FT. He's as strong as an ox and has tremendous power in those legs. However - he tends to be a little injury-prone. I'd much rather keep the former Jag (Lefty) than make a pitch for the latest Jag cut. :thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
02-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Fred might still have a couple of good years left but the best days are behind him.I believe we can make it without him.

steelerdave1969
02-16-2009, 04:27 PM
I'd rather have Jones-Drew.

Fragile Freddy doesn't have much left, does he?

I would love to see the Steelers sign Fred Taylor myself, even though its unlikely with the Steelser getting Rashard Mendenhall back next season..

lilyoder6
02-16-2009, 05:44 PM
fred was a good player for the jags... good runner and evrything

Steelcitygal87
02-16-2009, 06:05 PM
John Clayton was just on ESPN and said he thought the most likely teams that would be interested in Fred....Tampa Bay or the Patriots.

SteelCityKing
02-16-2009, 06:20 PM
i'm not saying that Moore isn't a great back for our squad, but how great of a one-two punch would Parker and Taylor be? the same one-two punch that Bettis and Parker were. i like the sound of it...but he IS a vet. if he could show he still had gully, he'd be a great assest to the team. =)

SteelCityKing
02-16-2009, 06:20 PM
John Clayton was just on ESPN and said he thought the most likely teams that would be interested in Fred....Tampa Bay or the Patriots.

is it just me or does John Clayton look like Benjamin Button!? haha!

SteelCurtain7
02-16-2009, 07:11 PM

I heard San Diego was also interested. Could you imagine the one-two punch, teaming FT with Darren Sproles? It could be productive.

Plus, I can't see FT wanting to run behind the Cheatriots* O-Line (I use the term loosely). He would be hospitalized within a week.

SteelCurtain7
02-16-2009, 07:11 PM
is it just me or does John Clayton look like Benjamin Button!? haha!

Close...like Mr. Mackey from Southpark. :rofl:

SteelCityKing
02-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Close...like Mr. Mackey from Southpark. :rofl:

haha! you nailed it.

i like John Clayton. i hope he isn't reading this because i'd feel like crap if he was.

The Duke
02-16-2009, 07:15 PM
so MJD finally gets his chance. I've been waiting for this....

sucks for fred though, classy guy all the way

Good luck to him, as long as he stays out of the afc north. the man always killed the steelers....

SteelCityKing
02-16-2009, 07:16 PM
so MJd finally gets his chance. I've been waiting for this....

sucks for fred though, classy guy all the way

Good luck to him, as long as he stays out of the afc north. the man always killed the steelers....

...unless he joins the Steelers!? ohhhh...it could happen. you never know. we did have Duce Staley at one point. ha!

Steelcitygal87
02-16-2009, 07:24 PM
I heard San Diego was also interested. Could you imagine the one-two punch, teaming FT with Darren Sproles? It could be productive.

Plus, I can't see FT wanting to run behind the Cheatriots* O-Line (I use the term loosely). He would be hospitalized within a week.

Those would be some weapons to have, that is for sure.

lilyoder6
02-16-2009, 07:28 PM
of course the pats would be interested in fred.. b/c they have all the money in the world to sign ppl...

the bills could use him to offset lynch..

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-16-2009, 08:27 PM
I hope this means the Jags are gonna draft a RB in the 1st round and maybe sign Orlando native Max Starks !!!

The Duke
02-16-2009, 09:23 PM
I hope this means the Jags are gonna draft a RB in the 1st round and maybe sign Orlando native Max Starks !!!

Well khalif barnes is leaving soon....

Fire Haley
02-17-2009, 01:30 PM
so MJD finally gets his chance. I've been waiting for this.....

So has he...

KFFL Jaguars | Jones-Drew ready for a raise? Tue, 17 Feb 2009 06:33:15 -0800

Vito Stellino, of The Florida Times-Union, reports Jacksonville Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew will likely command a significant raise in salary now that he is the team's featured back with the release of RB Fred Taylor. Jones-Drew figures to receive a deal in the $8-million-a-year range with more than $20 million in guaranteed money, although the Jaguars might balk at topping the $18 million in guaranteed money they gave QB David Garrard. Jones-Drew's statistics, however, will give him a strong argument for a big contract.

revefsreleets
02-17-2009, 07:35 PM
There is ZERO chance the Steelers sign Taylor. How many more RB's do we need?

I still think we are looking to trade RB's for draft spots...

Fire Haley
02-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Never say never.....he's HONGRY!

Interesting...

Why should anyone in the NFL take a chance on you?

Well, there are three reasons why Taylor is a very good gamble -- and not even a significant gamble, because he's not going to cost much money -- for a contender who needs a back to carry the ball 200 times this fall:

1. Taylor hasn't gotten too beaten up over the second half of his career, so he should be able to be the kind of role-playing back a contender could use. Since turning 28 five years ago, he's been a part-time running back and he's averaged 210 carries a year over that span.

2. He also averaged 4.7 yards-per-carry over that five-year stretch.
3. Hunger. Taylor wants it bad.

"This change inspires me so much,'' he said from his Miami home late Monday. "I'm ready for it. It's like my first shot at free-agency. I expect to go somewhere and run till my wheels fall off.''

"Realistically, you anticipate it will come to this," Taylor said. "When you get past the 10-year mark, you can never be comfortable.

They asked me if I was interested in retiring. I said no.

Definitely no. I want to play in a Super Bowl so bad, and the Super Bowl's down here in Miami next year. I want to be in that game.

Two years ago, Plaxico , my child's godfather, won the Super Bowl. This year, my little cousin from Belle Glade [Fla.], Santonio Holmes, was the MVP in the biggest game in the world. My taste for that game is getting stronger and stronger. And honestly, I feel fresh. I get inspired by young guys and showing them what I can do. There are a lot of young guys I'm still quicker than. God gave me a lot when he was handing out ability. I still have a lot."

[B]I'll be surprised if Indianapolis, New England and Pittsburgh do not at least sniff around Taylor. The Steelers have a very good insurance policy in Mewelde Moore behind Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall, but Mike Tomlin loves the running game, and he loves productive veterans.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

XxKnightxX
02-18-2009, 12:06 PM
and Parker was mentored by Taylor, so I would expect some lobbying from parker. I dont think Taylor is going to ask for money, just an opportunity to get a ring. Drop Davis and there you go.

AllD
02-18-2009, 07:48 PM
and Parker was mentored by Taylor, so I would expect some lobbying from parker. I dont think Taylor is going to ask for money, just an opportunity to get a ring. Drop Davis and there you go.

If all parties agree then it sounds like a deal, but I don't think Tomlin "loves" the running game. I think he likes short passes out of the backfield as the running game.

lilyoder6
02-18-2009, 08:23 PM
if we did not draft mendenhall last yr.. i would be excited to see the steelers go after taylor... the man can run and he can run in bad weather.. example the games he played against us