PDA

View Full Version : UNC Tar-Heels Football Schedule '09

steelerdave1969
02-16-2009, 04:20 PM
The North Carolina Tar-Heels have announced their 2009 College Football Schedule and it looks like this

Sept. 5 The Citadel
Sept. 12 at) Connecticut
Sept. 19 East Carolina
Sept. 26 at) G.A.Tech
Oct. 3 Virginia
Oct. 10 G.A.Southern
Oct. 17 Open
Oct. 22 Florida State
Oct. 29 at) V.A. Tech
Nov. 7 Duke
Nov. 14 Miami, Fla
Nov. 21 at) Boston College
Nov. 28 at) N.C. State

I really believe that the Heels can post 8 or 9 wins this upcoming season, I am really looking forward to seeing how the team will do in '09

steelerdave1969
02-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Just some extra notes from tar-heelblue.com

Carolina's Spring Showcase is set for Saturday, March 28. A kickoff time has not been determined. Stay tuned to TarHeelBlue.com for more details as they become available.

2009 Schedule Notes:

North Carolina is 3-0 all-time against The Citadel. The last meeting was a 45-14 Carolina win in 1986. The other games were played in 1915 and 1939.
Carolina travels to Connecticut for the first time in school history in 2009. The Tar Heels won the previous two meetings with the Huskies in Chapel Hill, 48-21 in 1990 and 38-12 in 2008. This marks the eighth consecutive year Carolina has played Big East conference institution.
North Carolina plays host to East Carolina for the first time since 2001. The previous two matchups against the Pirates came in Greenville in 2003 (a 28-17 UNC win) and 2007 (a 34-31 ECU victory). The Tar Heels are 8-2-1 all-time against East Carolina, including a 7-1-1 mark in Chapel Hill.
North Carolina and Georgia Southern are meeting for the first time on Oct. 10.
North Carolina will play back-to-back Thursday night games for the first time in school history.
While the North Carolina vs. Duke game has typically been the final game of the season for each team that has not always been the case. As recent as 2005, Carolina finished the season at Virginia Tech.
The last time Carolina played its final regular season game against NC State was 1998 in Charlotte. The last time the final game of the year was played in Raleigh was 1995.
Carolina will look to extend its three-game home win streak against Miami when the teams meet Nov. 14 in Chapel Hill. Carolina leads the series with the Hurricanes, 7-5, and has won all three games played in Chapel Hill.
North Carolina will play at Boston College for just the second time ever and the first time since 1984.

lilyoder6
02-16-2009, 04:32 PM
shit.. with that sch and the way NC played last yr.. i can see them get to the 10 win mark..

steelerdave1969
02-16-2009, 04:58 PM
shit.. with that sch and the way NC played last yr.. i can see them get to the 10 win mark..

I hope your downgrading that GA Southern team bud, cause they are right there with App State every year, so that game will be No Pushover for sure..
Florida State should be a lot better in '09 and the ACC always play each other very tough, I am not saying this ACC thing is the best in the country cause they aint for sure. I also think that Miami, Fla will be a very tough matchup but we will see I guess

lilyoder6
02-16-2009, 06:40 PM
i honestly only seeing fsu,miami and maybe VT being the only teams who could beat them if they play like they did last yr

atlsteelers
02-17-2009, 11:39 AM
as long as UNC beats gatech i will be happy

Carolina Steelers
02-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Also seems like UNC struggles against ECU sometimes. I dont see them winning 10 gms more like 8 or 9. There is alot expected of UNC this year like to see how they handle it under Coach Davis this year.

Steeler in Carolina
02-17-2009, 07:22 PM
I think 8 wins, maybe 9.

revefsreleets
02-17-2009, 07:31 PM
They'll need to do better than that if they want to contend for a BCS NCG. The ACC is a joke now, and they have NOTHING OOC. UConn? Yikes.

lilyoder6
02-17-2009, 09:22 PM
the acc and the big east both need to be shot...

very bad display last yr

atlsteelers
02-18-2009, 11:17 AM
yeah the acc tends to stink in bcs games then its the big 10 stinking it up. the big east holds their own. look at west va.

So based on records the MWC should have an automatic bid to a BSC gameand the ACC should lose thier automatic bid to a BSC game. Then the big 10 should be asked to start showing up duing bowl season or they might start losing their automatic bid to a bsc game. hehe

MWC 2-0 1.000 Utah (2-0)

SEC 12-5 .710 Tennessee (1-1),Florida (4-1),Alabama (0-2),LSU (4-0),Georgia (2-1),Auburn (1-0)

Pac-10 9-4 .692 UCLA (0-1),Stanford (0-1),Washington (1-0),Oregon State (1-0),Oregon (1-0),Washington State (0-1),USC (6-1)

Big East 6-5 .545 Syracuse (0-1),Virginia Tech* (0-1),Miami (FL) (3-1),Pittsburgh (0-1),West Virginia (2-0),Louisville (1-0),Cincinnati (0-1)

Big 12 7-9 .438 Texas A&M (0-1),Nebraska (1-1),Oklahoma (2-5),Colorado (0-1),Kansas State (0-1),Texas (3-0),Kansas (1-0)

Big Ten 8-11 .421 Wisconsin (2-0),Ohio State (4-3),Michigan (1-3),Purdue (0-1),Illinois (0-2),Iowa (0-1),Penn State (1-1)

ACC 2-9 .182 Florida State (1-5),Maryland (0-1),Virginia Tech* (1-2),Wake Forest (0-1)

WAC 1-1 .500 Boise State (1-0),Hawaii (0-1)

Notre Dame 0-3 .000

revefsreleets
02-18-2009, 11:42 AM
The Big 10 hate continues.

Carolina Steelers
02-18-2009, 11:45 AM
your joking right! The MWC should get a automatic bid besides Utah name me 2 other teams in that conference. Dont get me wrong the ACC isnt the strongest but I think the bottom 5 teams in the ACC can beat the top 5 teams in the MWC besides Utah maybe. Look at stregthn of schedule the MWC hardley plays anyone outside their conference

atlsteelers
02-18-2009, 01:09 PM
your joking right! The MWC should get a automatic bid besides Utah name me 2 other teams in that conference. Dont get me wrong the ACC isnt the strongest but I think the bottom 5 teams in the ACC can beat the top 5 teams in the MWC besides Utah maybe. Look at stregthn of schedule the MWC hardley plays anyone outside their conference

just having some fun with the big 10 folks - for them to mock the ACC after wining only 1 bowl game makes me laugh.

revefsreleets
02-19-2009, 09:27 AM
How many teams is the ACC up to now? 34?

Jokey jokey conference, playing at about the MAC level.

atlsteelers
02-19-2009, 01:16 PM
How many teams is the ACC up to now? 34?

Jokey jokey conference, playing at about the MAC level.

At least the ACC won more than 1 bowl game last year unlike the big ten. So if the ACC is a MAC level confernnce where does that put the big 10?

lilyoder6
02-19-2009, 02:44 PM
At least the ACC won more than 1 bowl game last year unlike the big ten. So if the ACC is a MAC level confernnce where does that put the big 10?

wow... simply wow.. the acc blows major balls.. lets look at the bowl games u say that acc won more than the big-10

the big-10 played MUCH MUCH harder than the ACC did in the bowls...
and that joke of a bowl game between vt and cincy.. haha.. that was hard 2 watch

revefsreleets
02-20-2009, 08:45 AM
The Big Ten played almost every bowl against higher ranked and/or flat out better teams:

Minny was pretty bad, and they played a team (Kansas) that was ranked in the top 20 for half the season.

Wiscy completely fell apart in the 2nd half of the season (the loss to Ohio State crushed their spirits) and they played against a surging FSU team. That was a match-up of one of the best ACC teams against one of the worst Big 10 teams.

Iowa won.

MSU played Georgia, a Bulldog team that was supposed to win the NC (annual choke though)

PSU was wildly overmatched by USC and everyone outside of Western PA knew it.

OSU played right down to the wire with a Texas team that was every bit as good as Oklahoma or Florida.

Hate, but don't hate blindly.

atlsteelers
02-23-2009, 03:09 PM
PSU was wildly overmatched by USC and everyone outside of Western PA knew it.

Just like the big 10 stinks and everyone outside of the heartland realizes it!

If PSU was so wildly overmatched how come they were the best the Big 10 had?

Texas - was sleep walking through that game and still beat OSU.

atlsteelers
02-23-2009, 03:27 PM
This guys is huge big 10 homer. At least he is not drunk on the koolaid

Conference Power Rankings: 2008-2009 Season Final
Ranking the BCS Conferences, from Best to Worst
By Tim Hyland, About.com

See More About:2008 college football previewcollege football conferencessec footballbig 10 footballbig 12 footbalAfter questioning its strength all season, I must now admit that the SEC truly does reign supreme.

And defending its honor all season, I now must admit that the Big Ten is truly becoming indefensible.

With the 2008 college football season now over, the time has come to take one last look at the About.com Conference Power Rankingsómy ranking of the nationís power conferences, from best to worst.

As always, let me know where you think Iím right, where you think Iím wrong, and how you would re-shuffle the rankings.

1. Southeast Conference

(Doug Benc/Getty Images) Pretty much all year, my stance on the SEC was as follows: Two great teams (Alabama, Florida) and a bunch of good-to-mediocre ones. I questioned the quality of those SEC offenses (see: Auburn, Tennessee). I pretty much thought the league was overrated. Then bowl season arrived and the SEC proved once more that it has quite simply distanced itself from the rest of the college football world. Floridaís defense shut down the previously high-powered Oklahoma offense. Ole Miss stunned Texas Tech. LSU humbled Georgia Tech. Georgia outmusculed Michigan State. The only disappointment? Alabama getting blown out by Utah in the Sugar Bowl.

2. Big 12

(Brian Bahr/Getty Images)The Big 12ís fate rested in the hands of its supposed power teams: Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State. And only Texas came out with a win, squeaking by Ohio State in a very hard-fought Fiesta Bowl. Oklahoma State couldnít keep up with Oregon. Texas Tech folded against Ole Miss. And we all know what happened to Oklahoma. The problem with this league right now is precisely the problem that SEC backers had been pointing to all year: Not enough defense.

3. Pac-10

(Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)Quite a late-season surge for the once-maligned Pac-10. Leading the way, of course, were the USC Trojans, who blitzed past Penn State in the Rose Bowl. Oregon came through against Oklahoma State. Oregon State won one of the ugliest bowl games in history, getting by Pitt, 3-0. Even schizophrenic Arizona stepped up, blasting BYU. A great bowl season for the Pac-10.

4. ACC
What I had been saying about this league all year held true in the bowl season: Thereís not any great teams in the ACC. But there are some good ones. And a couple of them looked pretty good in their bowl matchups. Maryland overcame tough odds (and a brutal trip) to pick up a bowl win on the blue turf in Boise. Florida State destroyed Wisconsin. And Virginia Tech finally got that long-sought BCS bowl win, knocking off Big East champ Cincinnati in the Orange Bowl.

5. Mountain West Conference

(Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images) Utah led the MWC charge all season and that didnít change one bit in the bowl season. The Utes stunned the college football world by heading deep into SEC country and not only beating Nick Saban and Alabama, but dominating them. Please, SEC fans, donít use the excuse that ďAlabama didnít want to be there.Ē And donít ever pretend that Utah doesnít have ďSEC speed.Ē As good as Utahís win was, however, BYUís loss to Arizona was a real downeróespecially after the MWC had enjoyed so much success against the Pac-10 during the regular season.

6. Big Ten

(Ronald Martinez, Getty Images)Yes, the Big Ten only went 1-6 in its bowl games. Yes, another Big Ten rep (Penn State) got the USC treatment in the Rose Bowl. And yes, Wisconsin and Minnesota were blown out in games that were supposed to be somewhat competitive. Only Iowa managed a bowl win, blowing by South Carolina behind the running of the now-NFL-bound Shonn Greene, while Northwestern fell in overtime to Mizzou. So how can I justify putting the Big Ten ahead of the Big East? Simple: I donít think thereís a team in the Big East that could have beaten Penn State or Ohio State.

7. Big East

(Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)Though Cincinnatiís Big East championship was a great thing for Brian Kellyís up-and-coming program, it probably wasnít a good thing for the Big East. Nationally, Cincinnati has almost no reputation, and that hasnít changed after a lackluster performance against Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl. The future of the Big East essentially lies in the hands of its traditional powers. If Pitt can finally put a full season together, if West Virginia can survive post-Pat White, and If Syracuse can finally turn things around, then this league will have a future. Without these programs stepping up, though, I donít ever see the Big East getting out of the basement.

revefsreleets
02-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Just like the big 10 stinks and everyone outside of the heartland realizes it!

If PSU was so wildly overmatched how come they were the best the Big 10 had?

Texas - was sleep walking through that game and still beat OSU.

That's just retaliation because I (rightly) pointed out that Georgia chokes worse every year than any team in 1-A with the possible exception of USC.

Choke!

Texas played their guts out in that game, and it came right down to the wire. You probably didn't even watch the game.

Big 10 being down is hardly a shocker. But to place them behind ACC and Mountain West and is retarded.

lilyoder6
02-24-2009, 09:51 AM
ATL steelrs of course REV is going to dog on PSU anytime he gets

usc only won by 2 td's and i would guarantee if they would of played again.. it would of been a different story..

B/c U KNOW SINCE USC WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN PSU, THEY ONLY SCORED 1 IN THE 2ND HALF.

lilyoder6
02-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Rev, it's fine that u swallow OSU, but penn st beat them, so u can't talk shit.. and the fact that Pryor could not win

revefsreleets
02-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Pryor is 19. You think he'll never beat PSU?

USC smoked PSU. Texas rallied to beat OSU with 16 seconds left to play.

By the end of the year, OSU was playing some pretty high level football. They'll be a damned good team next year.

lilyoder6
02-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Pryor is 19. You think he'll never beat PSU?

USC smoked PSU. Texas rallied to beat OSU with 16 seconds left to play.

By the end of the year, OSU was playing some pretty high level football. They'll be a damned good team next year.

Usc is better than Texas in evry aspect.. and usc did not smoke psu.. again y only 1 td in 2nd half

i never said pryor will not.. just saying he couldn't win this past yr

OSU have been good in the yrs past, i dobt that would change next yr.. but they are losing some players and i like to see how they adapt

revefsreleets
02-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Texas was THIS close to playing the NCG. They DID beat Oklahma, you know...

Whatever. S'all good. My Bucks will win another NCG soon and redeem themselves.

lilyoder6
02-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Texas was THIS close to playing the NCG. They DID beat Oklahma, you know...

Whatever. S'all good. My Bucks will win another NCG soon and redeem themselves.

after the 2 chances they blew... lol

all i care about is that michigan gets there head out of there asses and then big-10 get back on track

steelerbuckeye
02-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Great. Another delusional Buckeye fan. Just what we need.

C'mon! OSU is my blood and I'm a lifelong fan but give the shit a rest already. Bad things happen when you've been unproven in a 3 year period and every time you have the chance to redeem yourself, you blow it. That's what I've come to expect from Tressel in these last few years. He's turning into Bob Stoops where he's good enough to take OSU to the promise land and the second he gets in a huge game with a tough opponent he gets out-coached. Common sense tells you that college football is not the NFL where defense wins ball games. You don't score, you don't win and that's why Tressel needs to stop playing this conservative humble ball BS and start calling plays that are gonna put points on the board and not wear the defense out by half-time.

steelerdave1969
02-25-2009, 05:41 AM
They'll need to do better than that if they want to contend for a BCS NCG. The ACC is a joke now, and they have NOTHING OOC. UConn? Yikes.

I am a Tar-Heels fan and I always have been. I really dont think in any way that they are even close to a national championship game, but I think with the talent still here from last year and the new recruits coming in they are definitely in line to have a great chance at winning the ACC. The ACC is pretty much down and just about anyone except the DUKIES can pretty much win on any given day in my opinion.
Pryor will never be more than a running QB, the man couldnt hit the open man if there was only 8 players on defense. His passing pretty much stinks.

revefsreleets
02-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Great. Another delusional Buckeye fan. Just what we need.

C'mon! OSU is my blood and I'm a lifelong fan but give the shit a rest already. Bad things happen when you've been unproven in a 3 year period and every time you have the chance to redeem yourself, you blow it. That's what I've come to expect from Tressel in these last few years. He's turning into Bob Stoops where he's good enough to take OSU to the promise land and the second he gets in a huge game with a tough opponent he gets out-coached. Common sense tells you that college football is not the NFL where defense wins ball games. You don't score, you don't win and that's why Tressel needs to stop playing this conservative humble ball BS and start calling plays that are gonna put points on the board and not wear the defense out by half-time.

That's cool.

But he'll win more NCG's, and you can bank it. Then I'll tell ya I told ya so.
This is jut like "Cold Hard Facts" saying Cowher could never win the SB because he was too conservative.

Cowher won it all the next year...

atlsteelers
02-25-2009, 04:24 PM
This is some fun off-season talk. Thats whats great and sh*ty about college football no playoff system and lots of regional bias.

revefsreleets
02-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Difference is I enjoy all kinds of college football. I'm a season ticket holder for my Akron Zips and enjoy MAC football a lot. I respect the major conferences, but also realize that there are cycles of quality in those conferences.

It's ridiculous and absurd to isolate one conference and constantly bash them, especially when that conference has produced a NC in the recent past as well as some runner-up teams.

There are 118 other teams that would be HAPPY to lose NCG's every couple years. Those 118 teams have a lot of pissed of and envious fans..

steelerbuckeye
02-25-2009, 05:23 PM
That's cool.

But he'll win more NCG's, and you can bank it. Then I'll tell ya I told ya so.
This is jut like "Cold Hard Facts" saying Cowher could never win the SB because he was too conservative.

Cowher won it all the next year...

Difference is: Cowher also had a proven group of veteran leaders, one of the top 5 best RB's in the NFL, a future HOF WR and worked under a great organization. He also didn't call the offensive plays.

Tressel couldn't win last year with a cast of returning seniors, an easy schedule aside from USC and a trip to a BCS game that pretty much got handed to them. Also, look at the depth of talent from the 06-07 roster that went to the NC. There is no way you can have me sold on the idea that the Gator team that year was deeper than the Bucks.

revefsreleets
02-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Correction: Cowher couldn't win because he always had mediocre talent at QB. No coincidence that as soon as they sign their REAL NFL QB, they win a ring (two now).

The Bucks never get the blue chip prospects at QB that they do at the other skill positions. They do now. ALSO, they seem to never get the top prospects for their lines. THAT changed as well.

Tress is no idiot. He's a winner. He wins the old fashioned way, and that's by being consistent and coaching a team. Look at what he did at YSU.

It's dismissive and wrong to write that program off or to question his coaching acumen. There are 118 other teams that would KILL to be where the Bucks are year in and year out...

steelerbuckeye
02-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Correction: Cowher couldn't win because he always had mediocre talent at QB. No coincidence that as soon as they sign their REAL NFL QB, they win a ring (two now).

The Bucks never get the blue chip prospects at QB that they do at the other skill positions. They do now. ALSO, they seem to never get the top prospects for their lines. THAT changed as well.

Tress is no idiot. He's a winner. He wins the old fashioned way, and that's by being consistent and coaching a team. Look at what he did at YSU.

It's dismissive and wrong to write that program off or to question his coaching acumen. There are 118 other teams that would KILL to be where the Bucks are year in and year out...

The only teams who would KILL to be where the Bucks are would be a team like Auburn or Arkansas who have murderous OOC opponents every year aside from their SEC schedule and can barely get into a bowl game because of it. Miami is another good example of this. Next year, aside from their ACC schedule which will be tougher than last year, they have their annual meeting with Florida and then Oklahoma who they got dismantled by 2 years ago.

and you're wrong. I can question Tressel's coaching because it is his coaching that has made OSU a joke in the eyes of the college football world the last 2 years. It would be one thing if he won at least 1 of the games but when you go 0-5 against teams ranked in the top 15 and lose games with the kind of talent that he has, it's kind of hard for me to just give Tress a pat on the back and say "You're doing a fantastic job".

revefsreleets
02-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Whatever. I addressed recruiting.

He'll win more NCG's before he's done. Multiple.

And you can always hearken back to this moment when that happens. You guys are a dime a dozen, prognosticating with 20/20 hindsight. Unfortunately, you're also the type that hop right back on the profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilterwagon when the gettins good.

What happens when the Big Ten resurges? OSU has a big OOC game every year for the nest 15 with perennial top 20 teams. What will you say when the Big Ten has 4-5 teams in the top 20 again, and the Bucks beat them? Will you give Tress credit then?

You seem very much a fair weather fan. That's fine though, every program has them....

steelerbuckeye
02-25-2009, 06:34 PM
LOL!

Fair weather fan eh? I guess being a realist who realizes when my team's head coach is doing a bad job by losing big games makes me a bandwaggoner. I'm sorry that I'm not the majority of OSU's population who thinks that no team can come within 70 points of a victory. I should just praise Tressel for the excellent job that he's done for the Buckeyes in the last several years. It's ok to get beat by the SEC in back to back years and then lose 3 times to top 10 ranked opponents. I guess I'll just enjoy the victories over sub-par Big Ten teams at the moment because they're all "quality" wins right.

I'm glad you're happy with our team being a joke right now. As if telling me Tressel is going to win another national championship in the future is something I'm actually going to find offensive or something but do me a favor: talk to me and wave the OSU towel when Tressel learns how to stop playing conservative profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter ball and starts playing to win the game.

lilyoder6
02-25-2009, 07:13 PM
i want to see how well pryor will do next yr with no beanie wells or a hartline or robiskie... and some def stars that are gone..

we will see if he can actually throw the ball farther than 10 yrds when the wr is actually covered

steelerbuckeye
02-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Well, that's assuming they actually design pass plays for him instead of every shotgun play being a QB draw.

revefsreleets
02-26-2009, 09:25 AM
LOL!

Fair weather fan eh? I guess being a realist who realizes when my team's head coach is doing a bad job by losing big games makes me a bandwaggoner. I'm sorry that I'm not the majority of OSU's population who thinks that no team can come within 70 points of a victory. I should just praise Tressel for the excellent job that he's done for the Buckeyes in the last several years. It's ok to get beat by the SEC in back to back years and then lose 3 times to top 10 ranked opponents. I guess I'll just enjoy the victories over sub-par Big Ten teams at the moment because they're all "quality" wins right.

I'm glad you're happy with our team being a joke right now. As if telling me Tressel is going to win another national championship in the future is something I'm actually going to find offensive or something but do me a favor: talk to me and wave the OSU towel when Tressel learns how to stop playing conservative profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter ball and starts playing to win the game.

You're absolutely a fair weather fan. You question Tressel-ball, which won in the 50's and won in 2002. So now the formula fails? Because you say so?

Pittsburgh won with the same formula: Play great defense and run the football to open up the passing game. Play solid ST's. Tress's achiles heel is that he hasn't recruited OL and DL like he should, paying too much attention to big name skill players. He also ignored the QB position. it's also foolish to say that he hasn't adapted. He ran a spread option-type offense for Troy Smith.

To address if OSU can win w/o Wells an company, the Bucks don't rebuild, they reload. They'll be just fine.

You're a typical "what have you done lately for me" wagoner, who jumps on and off depending on the W-L column. Every team has them, though, so no big deal...

lilyoder6
02-26-2009, 10:31 AM
You're absolutely a fair weather fan. You question Tressel-ball, which won in the 50's and won in 2002. So now the formula fails? Because you say so?

Pittsburgh won with the same formula: Play great defense and run the football to open up the passing game. Play solid ST's. Tress's achiles heel is that he hasn't recruited OL and DL like he should, paying too much attention to big name skill players. He also ignored the QB position. it's also foolish to say that he hasn't adapted. He ran a spread option-type offense for Troy Smith.

To address if OSU can win w/o Wells an company, the Bucks don't rebuild, they reload. They'll be just fine.

You're a typical "what have you done lately for me" wagoner, who jumps on and off depending on the W-L column. Every team has them, though, so no big deal...

with offenses going to more of a spread look, idk think that some def that teams usually play will work effectivly much longer

steelerbuckeye
02-26-2009, 06:29 PM

Wow you really don't know what you're talking about

1. Tressel recruited 2 of the top 5 OL last year and another 4 star who is suppose to be a stud and put one of them at center half way through the year to replace Cordle (who is one of the top centers in the country). As for DL, he also recruited Robert Rose 2 years ago who was a 5 star recruit. Also, see theand 09 recruiting class. #10 DE in the country, #24 in the state of Ohio (who turned down offers from Vanderbilt, Boston College and Tennessee) and 3 other top 20 DE in the state. Oh and let's not forget to mention that last year he recruited 4 top tier defensive lineman one of which who happened to be considered the #4 best overall athlete in the country.

2. Ignored the QB position? How long has it been since you've watched OSU? Justin Zwick was the #1 QB in Ohio and 1 of the top in the country at the time he was recruited, Smith wasn't expected to even be a QB as he was brought in as an athlete, Ginn played QB in the Alamo Bowl for the purpose of red-shirting Boeckman so he could keep him for the long run and then what did he do come Boeckman's 6th senior year? Recruited the #1 QB in the country and the most hyped player to come out since Joe McKnight.

What have you done for me lately is the correct answer. There is NO excuse for Tressel to be outcoached in the way he does with the depth of talent that he has on that team. The only other team that gets outcoached with that kind of depth of talent is Miami and that's because they always have the toughest OOC opponents every season and Coker left Shannon with a group of inexperienced talent. As far as BCS goes, Stoops is the only other comparison and ask any Oklahoma fan if they feel the same way about him as I do Tressel and more than likely 98% will agree.

and you're still very wrong because I am an Ohio State alum that is tired of watching my team lose games they should be winning and you're obviously either too blind or just have too much homerism to admit when someone is getting out-coached.

revefsreleets
02-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Tress started recruiting top lineman in the recent past, but REALLY started emphasizing it after the Florida debacle. You expect them all to walk in as 19 year olds and unseat the juniors and seniors? Do YOU know anything about college football? I specifically addressed these things, and you are actually now trying to piggyback on MY facts with your spin.

Nice try.

Zwick was the top rated QB in Ohio? So what. How many pro QB's has OSU produced before and since Tress? He hasn't placd the emphasis on it necessary. Once again, calling attention to the fact that Smith took Zwick's job proves my point, not yours. One top recruit in 10 years (Pryor notwithstanding) sucks.

Tress has put together a top 5 program perennially. Top 5 year in and year out. Only an IDIOT would expect any college team to win the NCG every year, but there are a TON if idiot Bucknuts. There are 118 other programs who would understandably KILL to contend for a NC every year, let alone play in several of them in one decade.

I'm also trying to think of the last game they really should have won but didn't. Florida? Nope. They were DOMINATED along both lines, but, oh wait, I already pointed that out.
Outcoached? Yup, but they weren't winning that game either way. Their OL had their ass handed to them.

LSU? No way. Tigers were the better team.

Illinois last year? Sure, but EVERY team gets upset now and then. Or are the Buckeyes NEVER supposed to lose according to you? Be immune to upsets?

PSU this year? Perhaps. But Pryor was held in check, and the kid's young.

I bet you're one of those guys who thinks Pryor will suck, too, because he didn't put up Heisman numbers as a true frosh.

You're like a lot of guys around here...if your team doesn't win every game by 35, put up 400 in the air and 300 on the ground, and hold the other team to a shutout and negative yards, you bitch.

But, hey, that's cool. Football is for all kinds of fans, no matter what their level of understanding of the nuances of the game is...

lilyoder6
02-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Illinois last year? Sure, but EVERY team gets upset now and then. Or are the Buckeyes NEVER supposed to lose according to you? Be immune to upsets?

if osu was immune to upsets.. i would bet that USC would be all over the program trying to obtain that immunity.. lol

steelerbuckeye
02-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Tress started recruiting top lineman in the recent past, but REALLY started emphasizing it after the Florida debacle. You expect them all to walk in as 19 year olds and unseat the juniors and seniors? Do YOU know anything about college football? I specifically addressed these things, and you are actually now trying to piggyback on MY facts with your spin.

Good job on totally dodging the issue. You say that Tressel never recruited top linemen. You're wrong about that too. Boone, Kirk Barton, Steve Rehring and multiple other strong offensive linemen (if you wanna call them that) were recruited before the whole Florida debacle. Tressel was also working with some of Cooper's recruits as well and last time I checked that was who he won the last national championship with.

Zwick was the top rated QB in Ohio? So what. How many pro QB's has OSU produced before and since Tress? He hasn't placd the emphasis on it necessary. Once again, calling attention to the fact that Smith took Zwick's job proves my point, not yours. One top recruit in 10 years (Pryor notwithstanding) sucks.

Who gives a shit about whether or not they've turned out to be great pros? Name 1 terrible OSU QB they've recruited in the last 15 years. The closest one I can think of was Bellisari and Zwick (who was bad more or less because of the style of offense and not so much that he was a bad QB). Also, OSU has never been a pro-QB school. Purdue, Notre Dame, USC, Alabama;etc are pro-QB schools. Knocking OSU for not having one be successful in the pros is just LOL. I guess by that logic, Florida can be discounted as a top threat team year after year.

I'm also trying to think of the last game they really should have won but didn't. Florida? Nope. They were DOMINATED along both lines, but, oh wait, I already pointed that out.
Outcoached? Yup, but they weren't winning that game either way. Their OL had their ass handed to them.

Are you serious? Florida didn't have near the depth that OSU did and OSU had twice the speed on offense. Bad things happen when you let undefeated streaks get to your team's head and you let them sit around and become overweight during a 53 day grace period. Bad play-calling also didn't help either. So yes, it was a game they could have won but didn't due to lack of preparation.

LSU? No way. Tigers were the better team.

OSU controlled the game until about the 2nd quarter and then in the 2nd half they stopped giving Beanie carries. You really expect them to win a big game when they stop giving their 6'2 230 pound back carries? Of course not.

Again, another example of out-coaching. It happens but it did and this one happened on senior day and nearly cost OSU a chance to compete in the NC. I bet you would be calling for Tressel's job had that cost us a chance to the NC. Oh wait, then he would have went to the Rose Bowl and look at how well he did there too.

PSU this year? Perhaps. But Pryor was held in check, and the kid's young.

I bet you're one of those guys who thinks Pryor will suck, too, because he didn't put up Heisman numbers as a true frosh.

LMAO!!!! that made my day!

You're like a lot of guys around here...if your team doesn't win every game by 35, put up 400 in the air and 300 on the ground, and hold the other team to a shutout and negative yards, you bitch.

I bitch when my team loses games. Obviously, that doesn't have any effect on you since this entire time you have completely ignored the issue at hand which is the fact that in big non-conference games Tressel has failed in the last 3 years and it has made OSU a laughing stock in the media. I'm sure you would get along great with the rowdy Block O kids since you all seem to have the same mentality that Tressel is the second coming of Woody Hayes and he seems to have the answer for everything.

Only 4 more national titles away!!!

steelerbuckeye
02-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Bellisari was actually the Defensive player of the year in Florida and came to OSU as a Safety prospect, not a qb

revefsreleets
02-28-2009, 02:13 PM
I didn't even bother reading your response.

This tedious and boring....I only engage in debate where I might learn something, so I'm done with this remedial nonsense...

atlsteelers
03-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Difference is I enjoy all kinds of college football. I'm a season ticket holder for my Akron Zips and enjoy MAC football a lot. I respect the major conferences, but also realize that there are cycles of quality in those conferences.

It's ridiculous and absurd to isolate one conference and constantly bash them, especially when that conference has produced a NC in the recent past as well as some runner-up teams.

There are 118 other teams that would be HAPPY to lose NCG's every couple years. Those 118 teams have a lot of pissed of and envious fans..

You were the one bashing the ACC. I simply stated that the acc is better or just as good as the big 10. Playing and losing the NCG in the past does not mean that OSU was the runner-up team. They were overrated and did not belong in the game and their ranking fell mightly after the loses.

revefsreleets
03-02-2009, 09:36 AM
You were the one bashing the ACC. I simply stated that the acc is better or just as good as the big 10. Playing and losing the NCG in the past does not mean that OSU was the runner-up team. They were overrated and did not belong in the game and their ranking fell mightly after the loses.

A) I did not isolate the ACC. I have bashed other conferences INCLUDING THE BIG TEN, in the recent past. I'm an equal opportunity offender.
B) The ACC might have been as good as the Big Ten once in the last 10 years. One year does not a conference make.
C) Overrated and not belonging are objective and biased observations, especailly irrelevant from an SEC homer.

OSU final rankings by year (AP):
'08- 9
'07- 5
'06- 2
'05- 4
'04- 20
'03- 4
'02- 1

Average rank: 6.42

Overrated? Doubt it...unless there's some kind of space alien/Elvis conspiracy theory at work here. Also bear in mind that with the exception of UW, the Bucks have played at least one perennial OOC power every year, and they've been in their share of BCS bowls. So it's not like they've ONLY beaten Big Ten teams (and the Big Ten has NOT been down every year since BCS play started...they are just in a down cycle).

My assertion is accurate: The Buckeyes have NOT paid the kind of attention to their lines in recruiting that they needed to over the years, and they have really started emphasizing it. That, along with recruiting THE top QB prospect last year will pay dividends in the next couple years. You can't just win by recruiting all glamour-type skill players, you need the top line prospects as well.

Blaming the coach is patently ridiculous.

revefsreleets
03-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Toss out the anamolous year where they were #20 and it becomes #4.

Even at 6.42 (and without doing the math), is there another team in the country that averages as high since '02? Maybe USC?

steelerdave1969
03-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Hey guys, I am sorry that I started a thread like this and it is getting you guys all tore up with each other. I in no way think that the ACC is as good or better than the Big 10. The ACC has been down for a few years now and I really think that there is things that are changing in the power play of the teams in the league. I truly think that the Tar-Heels are headed in the right direction, and I hope and I know that I am being a fan here, that they can start getting some top recruits to start believing in the Tar-Heels program enough to start comig to chapel hill, NC.

revefsreleets
03-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Any time you start a college football thread, you'll hear the same 3-4 things. It can't be helped...

-SEC fans will hate on every other conference (especially the big ten)
- There will be tons of OSU hate
- Somebody will bash Notre Dame (although they suck so bad they've gotten a bit of a pass lately)
-There will be lots of arguments and few facts

steelerdave1969
03-17-2009, 07:32 PM
You are very much righ there Rev.

Now back to the subject at hand. I love what Coach Butch Davis is doing down here at Chapel Hill and I think this upcoming season we should be very tough to beat in the ACC. I know the ACC is kind of down right now, but coach Davis is a great recruiter and a pretty darn good coach. This season should be very interesting with some of the returning talent from last season. I think our biggest concern on offense is to get a better running game and they have a couple recruits that should help in that dept. And the ability to stop the run is very important or they will have another season just like last season.