PDA

View Full Version : any thoughts on OT Eben Britton?

tony hipchest
02-16-2009, 11:08 PM
thoughts are he may be climbing to a 1st round grade. he has slimmed down from 340 lbs. tim and pat havent talked to him enough to know if he is steeler material or not, but look forward to getting him on their show. (fwiw they both thought gosder cherilus was "steeler material" last year).

Good combine showings would help these 10 prospects

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d80ec5378&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

2. Eben Britton, OT, Arizona: Last year's draft was great for offensive tackles, and this class appears to set up the same way. Britton likely trails Virginia's Eugene Monroe, Alabama's Andre Smith, Baylor's Jason Smith and Mississippi's Michael Oher on draft boards, but the 6-6, 310-pounder who made 37 starts despite leaving school one year early is on teams' radar.

Combine measurements should show that Britton has the long arms that coaches look for, and there's a chance he could run close to five seconds in the 40-yard dash. His interview will be critical because he's a well-educated kid with an Ivy League mother, and coaches want to find out how important football is in his life.

MasterOfPuppets
02-16-2009, 11:50 PM
britton won't make it past the 20th pick. there'll be every bit the scramble for tackles this year as there was last year.....bank on it.:popcorn:

tony hipchest
02-17-2009, 12:03 AM
i want (and i think we NEED) this years ryan clady.

i smell a trade up.

not saying britton is it (i have no idea) but we gotta do something...

starks, smith, colon, are not the answers on the outside for the next 5 years.

Galax Steeler
02-17-2009, 04:52 AM
britton won't make it past the 20th pick. there'll be every bit the scramble for tackles this year as there was last year.....bank on it.:popcorn:

That may be true but surley to god we can get a tackle out of the draft this year.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-17-2009, 05:36 AM
That may be true but surley to god we can get a tackle out of the draft this year.

I agree with MOP that Britton will be gone around pick #20...there is the possibility of a trade up...If not, I still think trading down out of #32 to pick up an extra 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder would be the way to go. OT's available at #32 may be there at the middle of the 2nd round...and I would hate to see us reach.

steelerdave1969
02-17-2009, 05:44 AM
As bad as the Steelers need to help our offesnive line out, I dont see the team reaching for an unsure pick. But I think this year the Steelers will have someone fall to them that is gonna make a difference, he may not be an Offensive linemen, but it could be a defensive linemen.

Texasteel
02-17-2009, 05:53 AM
I'm glad to see that some of these people are starting to catch up with us. We've talked about this several times, and I for one think that Britton will be our last chance at a top flight OT. If we trade up to get him I will be ecstatic, I don't think we will be able to trade up far enough to have a shot at any of the other top OTs. If we do not, I suggest that you take a look at LLTs trade down draft. There are players on that list that would greatly help both lines. Give us a terrific DB, and a Safety that could see time next year.

MasterOfPuppets
02-17-2009, 06:53 AM
teams needing tackles....

Dallas - Flozell Adams will be 34, and was terrible last year
Philadelphia - both of thier starters are free agents and old
Washington - Jon Jansen is 33, needs to retire
Detroit - needs every position
Green Bay - needs left and right, 32 & 33 yrs old, both just had knee surgeries
Minnesota - needs a RT
Atlanta - may need a RT, if they lose claebo in FA
Carolina - depends on gross
San Francisco - might wanna move a struggling staley to RT
Seattle - walter jones is 35
St. Louis - pace is over the hill
Miami - depends on FA carrey
Cincinnati - needs L& R T'S
Jacksonville - Barnes is a FA and sucks
KC - needs a RT
Oakland - needs L AND R
San Diego - Needs to upgrade LT

i look for tackles to fly off the board in the 2nd rd as well.

Texasteel
02-17-2009, 07:47 AM
teams needing tackles....

Dallas - Flozell Adams will be 34, and was terrible last year
Philadelphia - both of thier starters are free agents and old
Washington - Jon Jansen is 33, needs to retire
Detroit - needs every position
Green Bay - needs left and right, 32 & 33 yrs old, both just had knee surgeries
Minnesota - needs a RT
Atlanta - may need a RT, if they lose claebo in FA
Carolina - depends on gross
San Francisco - might wanna move a struggling staley to RT
Seattle - walter jones is 35
St. Louis - pace is over the hill
Miami - depends on FA carrey
Cincinnati - needs L& R T'S
Jacksonville - Barnes is a FA and sucks
KC - needs a RT
Oakland - needs L AND R
San Diego - Needs to upgrade LT

i look for tackles to fly off the board in the 2nd rd as well.

And this gives LLTs trade down idea even more teeth. IF we can't get high enough to get on of the top 5.

MasterOfPuppets
02-17-2009, 08:00 AM
And this gives LLTs trade down idea even more teeth. IF we can't get high enough to get on of the top 5.actually i'm not so sure....depends on how far they end up back into the second. they could end up missing the second wave of tackles if they end up with a mid rd 2nd. teams like seattle, washington, GB, SF,KC,cincy, could pick rd2 clean of 2nd tier tackles.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-17-2009, 09:55 AM
actually i'm not so sure....depends on how far they end up back into the second. they could end up missing the second wave of tackles if they end up with a mid rd 2nd. teams like seattle, washington, GB, SF,KC,cincy, could pick rd2 clean of 2nd tier tackles.

Actually...trading to a team like the 49ers at #43 slot should place us at the perfect place to land a tackle like Tupuo or Loadholt.

Looking at last years run on OT's...only one OT was taken in the first 11 picks...it was picks #12-21 in which the run on O-linemen took place...only 4 of those picks WERE NOT linemen.

Looking at this year...I can see a run on OT's from picks 2-8...with 4 of the 5 OT's with 1st round grades being taken, Picks # 20 and #21 will probably take the other ..and you can bet that before the 1st round is over at least one team will reach for an OT...I just dont want that team to be the Steelers.

If we are going to take a tackle...it would be worth our time to consider trading down to a spot of value and getting that SAME tackle plus a draft pick.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-17-2009, 10:01 AM
I havent seen the kid play, but by all accounts he is a natural knee bender, moves well laterally and is a very good pass protector. I think he is an average run blocker, which is something I would like to see him improve on before becoming a Steeler.

I believe he will be the 5th OT off the board and both Detroit #20 and Philly #21 picks will need a LT.

FWIW, I thought Cherilus would make a good RT, but could not handle the speed guys to play LT last season and that is looking to be true. Pat probably got enamoured with the fact Cherilus played LT at Boston College.......but never looked at tape of him sucking as a LT.

MasterOfPuppets
02-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Actually...trading to a team like the 49ers at #43 slot should place us at the perfect place to land a tackle like Tupuo or Loadholt.

Looking at last years run on OT's...only one OT was taken in the first 11 picks...it was picks #12-21 in which the run on O-linemen took place...only 4 of those picks WERE NOT linemen.

Looking at this year...I can see a run on OT's from picks 2-8...with 4 of the 5 OT's with 1st round grades being taken, Picks # 20 and #21 will probably take the other ..and you can bet that before the 1st round is over at least one team will reach for an OT...I just dont want that team to be the Steelers.

If we are going to take a tackle...it would be worth our time to consider trading down to a spot of value and getting that SAME tackle plus a draft pick.so how many tackles do you see getting a 2nd rd grade ? 3-4?.....loadholt ,tupou,kropog, meredith? walterfootball has kropog labeled as a zone blocker.....with denvers purge of players, they may wanna load up on picks....:noidea:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-17-2009, 10:22 AM
NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

Overview
The spread attack is often characterized as a finesse offense. With the massive Britton operating at left tackle for the Wildcats, physicality in the running game was the key to U of A's success. The spread attack and mobile senior quarterback Willie Tuitama help mask Britton's lack of elite foot speed and agility as a pass blocker, but his size and strength in the running game could make him a standout at right tackle or even inside at guard in a drive-blocking scheme. Scouts love his physicality and consistency. After redshirting in 2005, Britton started the next consecutive 37 games and earned first-team All-Pac-10 honors as a left tackle in 2008.

Analysis
Positives: Rare size and wingspan. ... Good initial hand punch and can physically control his opponent when he locks on. ... Cognizant pass blocker who recognizes the blitz and adjusts accordingly. ... Flashes a deep kick-step to force pass rushers wide. ... Adequate lateral agility to mirror the pass rusher. ... Forceful run blocker. ... Despite his height, can play with leverage in the running game and drive defenders off the line. ... Only marginal agility in the open field, but can eliminate defenders at the college level with intimidating pancake blocks. ... Leader of the line. ... Has started 37 consecutive games.

Negatives: Protected as a pass blocker by the Arizona spread scheme and athleticism of his quarterback. ... Lacks the elite foot speed of top left tackles and will struggle in pass protection if left at this position in the NFL. ... Too often allowed pass rushers to get their hands into his chest and can be walked back to the quarterback despite his strength. ... Lumbers when blocking on the move and will resort to lunging at the defender in open space.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/eben-britton?id=71219#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis

MasterOfPuppets
02-17-2009, 10:34 AM
i'd still take him in a heartbeat...... the way i see it, colon was just as big of a problem on the right as anybody on the left, so i'll be happy with ANY upgrades, at ANY position on the line.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-17-2009, 11:24 AM
so how many tackles do you see getting a 2nd rd grade ? 3-4?.....loadholt ,tupou,kropog, meredith? walterfootball has kropog labeled as a zone blocker.....with denvers purge of players, they may wanna load up on picks....:noidea:

I think Meridith, Tupou, are 2nd rounders and maybe Loadholt who might slip to the 3rd round. Augustus Parrish from Kent St is a guy that I think will go in the 3rd unless he has some great workouts and moves up to the 2nd. I'll be shocked if Kropogg goes in the 2nd.......I have him pegged as a 4th round developmental guy.

Here is former NFL scout Bucky Brooks' assessment of Britton.

9. Eben Britton, Arizona, OT: A prototypical tackle prospect with exceptional size (6-foot-6, 310 pounds) and skills for the position, Britton is a better-than-advertised athlete who effectively uses his long arms to keep defenders stymied in pass protection. Although he occasionally loses discipline with his footwork and fundamentals, Britton's raw talent allows him to win the majority of his battles on the edge. As a run blocker, Britton is neither dominating nor forceful, but he is effective at keeping his guy out of the play. Britton is far from a polished product at this point, but his size and untapped potential makes him an intriguing prospect in the second round. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/bucky_brooks/02/16/oline/index.html

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-17-2009, 11:25 AM
so how many tackles do you see getting a 2nd rd grade ? 3-4?.....loadholt ,tupou,kropog, meredith? walterfootball has kropog labeled as a zone blocker.....with denvers purge of players, they may wanna load up on picks....:noidea:

Britton & Beatty both grade as late 1st/early 2nd..but I think they will go in the 1st...so here is my list with the understanding that this is how the O-lineman grade..NOT where they will go.

Late 1st/ early 2nd Round

OT Eben Britton
OT William Beatty
OC/OG Alex Mack
OG Duke Robinson

Solid 2nd Round

OC/OC Max Unger
OC Eric Wood
OT Fenoki Tupoa

Late 2nd/Early 3rd Round

OC Jonathan Luigs
OT Jamon Meredith
OT Phil Loadholt
OT Trou Kupog
OC Antoine Caldwell
OG Trevor Canfield
OG Herman Johnson
OT Augustus Parrish

As Gonzo points out...where they grade and where they are drafted can be different

tony hipchest
02-17-2009, 11:32 AM
FWIW, I thought Cherilus would make a good RT, but could not handle the speed guys to play LT last season and that is looking to be true. Pat probably got enamoured with the fact Cherilus played LT at Boston College.......but never looked at tape of him sucking as a LT.
pat had him tagged as a career RT...

23. Pittsburgh Steelers
Gosder Cherilus
OT, Boston College Cherilus plays the game the way the Steelers like to play football. He isn't perfect, but he plays physical and to the whistle. He wins the right tackle spot in camp and never looks back for the next ten years. There could be conversation about a wide receiver like Limas Sweed.

Previous mock pick: Gosder Cherilus

...with thoughts of willie colon moving into fanecas spot.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-17-2009, 12:04 PM
pat had him tagged as a career RT...

...with thoughts of willie colon moving into fanecas spot.

Ok, good call for Pat..........but I dont see the value of taking a career RT at #23. Its just not good value IMO. You can get guys that are unable to play LT and only grade out as a RT in the late 2nd-5th rounds.

I am happy we didnt take Cherilus. Could have easily taken Anthony Collins in the 3rd round and had him play RT with Colon moving inside.