View Full Version : Harrison's agent plans to meet with Steelers

mesaSteeler
02-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Harrison's agent plans to meet with Steelers

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_612006.html#

The agent for Steelers linebacker James Harrison said Monday that it's likely he will meet face-to-face with the Steelers at the upcoming NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis about a contract extension for his client.

"It looks that way," agent Bill Parise said. "We've been talking. We are talking. We'll continue to talk."

Draft-eligible prospects will be worked out at the combine from Saturday-Feb. 24.

Harrison, a two-time Steelers MVP and the NFL Defensive Player of the Year this season, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent following the 2009 campaign.

Harrison made a reported base salary of $1.2 million in 2008 the third year of a four-year deal signed in April 2006. That contract was worth $5.5 million before incentives, including a $1.375 million signing bonus.

"It's been fine," Parise said of his talks with the Steelers. "We haven't called them any names yet, and they haven't called us any.

"I'd love for it to be sooner rather than later, but it's a process."

Mike Prisuta can be reached at mprisuta@tribweb.com or 412-320-7923.

steelballs
02-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Whatever it takes, just get it done.

PhillipMG
02-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Seriously. We are going for our 7th World Title.

scsteeler
02-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Yes Harrison should get a contract extension. I just hope he does not get to greedy. But I don't think he will.

PisnNapalm
02-17-2009, 10:09 AM
They'll get a deal done for Deebo. I have no doubts.

stlrtruck
02-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Hopefully this meeting includes a contract, a pen, and a few autographs on said contract:

Rooney and Harrison are two major ones!!!

Indo
02-17-2009, 10:57 AM
We...can...not...let...him...get...away.

drew102e
02-17-2009, 11:21 AM
i am gald they are actively resigning him, but i dont see why they cant work on the UFAs (whose contracts will actually expire in a few days) with the same sense of urgency

harrison could wait til the begining of training camp

SC Gamecokk
02-17-2009, 11:23 AM
I must ask this question, it's been burning at me lately. I'm all for keeping Harrison, but why does it seem that nobody pimped Porter like this when his contract was up? It seemed like everybody was alright for the most part with him leaving. Harrison is about the same age Joey was when he left for Miami. Did we not keep him strictly because of cap space? Are we trying hard to keep Harrison because we have nobody to take his place and it's just a timing issue? Just curious what everyone thinks.

Not to mention that Porter was pretty much the heart and soul of our team as far as emotion went. Sometimes, you can't put a price on stuff like that!

drew102e
02-17-2009, 11:26 AM
porter was older than harrison, i think

stlrtruck
02-17-2009, 12:49 PM
I must ask this question, it's been burning at me lately. I'm all for keeping Harrison, but why does it seem that nobody pimped Porter like this when his contract was up? It seemed like everybody was alright for the most part with him leaving. Harrison is about the same age Joey was when he left for Miami. Did we not keep him strictly because of cap space? Are we trying hard to keep Harrison because we have nobody to take his place and it's just a timing issue? Just curious what everyone thinks.

Not to mention that Porter was pretty much the heart and soul of our team as far as emotion went. Sometimes, you can't put a price on stuff like that!

I think you're looking at a tale of two players. Porter, in many eyes, began losing some steps a year or two before he was released. Harrison, on the other hand, has improved each year to the point that he is a vital player in the plans of our defense.

I also feel that when Porter left, we had enough talent at LB to not miss him. With Harrison, while we may have the people in line, they aren't able to make up for what Harrison brings to the field.

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Get The Deal Done We Need Harrison!

OX1947
02-17-2009, 04:27 PM
I think you're looking at a tale of two players. Porter, in many eyes, began losing some steps a year or two before he was released. Harrison, on the other hand, has improved each year to the point that he is a vital player in the plans of our defense.

I also feel that when Porter left, we had enough talent at LB to not miss him. With Harrison, while we may have the people in line, they aren't able to make up for what Harrison brings to the field.

As good as Porter was, he was coming off a less the steller year and got 22 million dollars guaranteed. It just wasn't salary cap possible. AND, Porter in his hay day was never a big play player like Harrison. Harrison does it all, he gives the Steelers 100 tackles, double digit sacks, forced fumbles and return INTs for TDs. Totally different player in my books.

SC Gamecokk
02-17-2009, 05:32 PM
As good as Porter was, he was coming off a less the steller year and got 22 million dollars guaranteed. It just wasn't salary cap possible. AND, Porter in his hay day was never a big play player like Harrison. Harrison does it all, he gives the Steelers 100 tackles, double digit sacks, forced fumbles and return INTs for TDs. Totally different player in my books.

very valid points!

SteelCityKing
02-17-2009, 05:44 PM

i think Porter knew how to run his mouth too much and Harrison lets his actions do the talking. Porter could back it up...from time to time. but i think his inconsistencies opened Tomlin's eyes and he needed to make an adjustment and put his foot down. he did by letting Porter go. but damn...i sure do miss that guy. =) -- i he'd be a great assest on this team NOW more than ever, but if our defense doesn't quite need any tweaking right now.