PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers: Potential Free Agent profile, Khalif Barnes

mesaSteeler
02-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Potential Free Agent profile, Khalif Barnes
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m2d16-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Potential-Free-Agent-profile-Khalif-Barnes

February 16, 3:02 PM
by Matt Pawlikowski, Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers have 17 restricted/unrestricted free-agents entering the deadline on Feb.27., with potential needs if they leave for greener dollars, ranging from the offensive line to the secondary.

If a player such as cornerback Bryant McFadden or left tackle Max Starks leave the team, don't expect the Steelers to get into a bidding war for one of the top tier players from around the league. Instead, expect them to work the needs they have prudently.

Last year the Steelers biggest addition was Justin Hartwig, who signed a two-year, $4 million deal. The second biggest acquisition? Melwelde Moore, which had people scratching heads. Both played key roles in the Steelers 2008 success.

So who are some players that could attract the Steelers attention? We'll start with this guy, Khalif Barnes.

Who is he: Barnes is a left tackle who played with Jacksonville... Originally picked by the Jaguars with the second pick in 2005, he has been a mainstay at left tackle...His durability is impeccable...In 2008 was only offensive lineman to play in all 16 games and since taking over starting role has playing in 57 of 60 games.

How he fits the Steelers need: At 6-foot-5, 325 he is big and played a huge role on an offensive line that helped Jaguars rush for the two highest single-season totals in franchise history.... He also can be versatile if needed...Started at both right and left tackle after moving from defensive tackle as a red-shirt freshman in college and allowed just three sacks his final two years.

Why it is just a possibility: Barnes was arrested in 2006 for DUI and speeding and the Steelers tend to look at character...Also despite being one of the best in the league in run blocking, he was weak in pass protection last year as David Gerrard was the most sacked in the league.

Southside Odds he'll be donning the black and gold: 50-50 even. Barnes price will be low, he made $548,000 last year and there are those out there who say a change of scenery will have him playing like he did his first three years in the league... He also is only 26...While a viable option, the only way he may have a shot at the Burg, is if the Steelers foresee themselves not re-signing Starks or Marvel Smith... The team has until Feb.19th to designate a player a transition of franchise guy, which is possible with either.

tyler289
02-17-2009, 11:57 PM
I don't see the DUI and speeding thing to be an issue. If he has shown remorse and no other blemishes, it really isn't a big deal. An solid interview that shows good character should eliminate that.

Interesting idea, though. Last year was a fluke for the Jags as they had injuries all over the place - especially at offensive line. I think he could be a solid addition.

FredScott
02-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Yea I would welcome this guy for sure, big left tackle with tons of potential. ALot of players have had off the field issues but honestly it's not like this guy is a potential "cancer". Yea getting a DUI wasn't smart but I wouldn't mind seeing this guy here specially if we do lose a tackle in FA.

MasterOfPuppets
02-18-2009, 12:33 AM
they failed to mention he gave up 7.5 sacks, and was called for 9 PENALTIES... barnes is a freakin willie colon clone, i'd rather keep starks.....NO THANK YOU..:coffee:
ray willis from seattle would be a much better option.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-18-2009, 12:53 AM
they failed to mention he gave up 7.5 sacks, and was called for 9 PENALTIES... barnes is a freakin willie colon clone, i'd rather keep starks.....NO THANK YOU..:coffee:

MOP, I agree with you and as much as I am not a Max Starks fan, I too would rather have Starks over Barnes.

Ray Willis could be a solid RT. I think for the left side, Vernon Carey is probably better though.

devilsdancefloor
02-18-2009, 01:06 AM
what about Jon Stinchcomb of the saints he plays RT could he go at LT?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-18-2009, 01:23 AM
what about Jon Stinchcomb of the saints he plays RT could he go at LT?

I dont think so. I think a RT only. Too bad we dont have that much cap $$ as trying to sign a LT, Stinchcomb would hamper the ability to extend Harrison, Miller, Woodley, Holmes, McFadden.

I doubt that we would get Carey, but if we could I think he is the most flexible guy out there. He played LT and RT at Miami and some think he might be an even better guard.

steelwall
02-18-2009, 01:30 AM

Agreed.. I like Willis too. If we could get him I'd be very happy.

SunshineMan21
02-18-2009, 01:47 AM
They didn't mention that Barnes is an awful pass-blocker . . . makes Starks look like Walter Jones.

If we're going to sign a LT, we have to hope Carolina lets Jordan Gross go.

MasterOfPuppets
02-18-2009, 04:24 AM
They didn't mention that Barnes is an awful pass-blocker . . . makes Starks look like Walter Jones.

If we're going to sign a LT, we have to hope Carolina lets Jordan Gross go.
actually they did

.Also despite being one of the best in the league in run blocking, he was weak in pass protection last year as David Gerrard was the most sacked in the league.
you don't really think the steelers would get into a bidding war to make gross the highest paid tackle in the league do you? even carrey who isn't that close to gross's level will probably be out of pitts price range. they should be able to afford willis, but i'm sure they'll keep mr penalty colon, to save a few hundred thousand a year.....:doh:

MasterOfPuppets
02-18-2009, 04:31 AM
MOP, I agree with you and as much as I am not a Max Starks fan, I too would rather have Starks over Barnes.

Ray Willis could be a solid RT. I think for the left side, Vernon Carey is probably better though.
yeah i realize he's probably strictly a RT.....haven't you noticed how i've been advocating getting colon the hell off of RT....i've by far....spent more time cursing colon, than any other player the last 2 years. i could live with starks or smith for another year or 2, but colon...:banging: ...no.. it's not even the piss poor blocking as much as it is his stupid #%&^@!* DRIVE KILLING PENALTIES !!!

Galax Steeler
02-18-2009, 04:45 AM
If Barnes gives up sacks like that then why would we want him like someone else said we should just keep starks if that is the case.

Rick5895
02-18-2009, 07:42 AM
The should sign Starks and Kemo, and lock of the Defensive players we need to as well as Heath Miller. Then draft if availalble Unger or the Kid from Cal.

KeiselPower99
02-18-2009, 09:39 AM
I hope Max stays but I think he may want to much. He was paid 7 million last year and Im sure he would want that annually. Barnes dont sound bad but there are other guys probably more suited for us out there. But it would be nice to hurt the Jags a lil bit.

SC Gamecokk
02-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Potential Free Agent profile, Khalif Barnes
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m2d16-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Potential-Free-Agent-profile-Khalif-Barnes

February 16, 3:02 PM
by Matt Pawlikowski, Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers have 17 restricted/unrestricted free-agents entering the deadline on Feb.27., with potential needs if they leave for greener dollars, ranging from the offensive line to the secondary.

If a player such as cornerback Bryant McFadden or left tackle Max Starks leave the team, don't expect the Steelers to get into a bidding war for one of the top tier players from around the league. Instead, expect them to work the needs they have prudently.

Last year the Steelers biggest addition was Justin Hartwig, who signed a two-year, $4 million deal. The second biggest acquisition? Melwelde Moore, which had people scratching heads. Both played key roles in the Steelers 2008 success.

So who are some players that could attract the Steelers attention? We'll start with this guy, Khalif Barnes.

Who is he: Barnes is a left tackle who played with Jacksonville... Originally picked by the Jaguars with the second pick in 2005, he has been a mainstay at left tackle...His durability is impeccable...In 2008 was only offensive lineman to play in all 16 games and since taking over starting role has playing in 57 of 60 games.

How he fits the Steelers need: At 6-foot-5, 325 he is big and played a huge role on an offensive line that helped Jaguars rush for the two highest single-season totals in franchise history.... He also can be versatile if needed...Started at both right and left tackle after moving from defensive tackle as a red-shirt freshman in college and allowed just three sacks his final two years.

Why it is just a possibility: Barnes was arrested in 2006 for DUI and speeding and the Steelers tend to look at character...Also despite being one of the best in the league in run blocking, he was weak in pass protection last year as David Gerrard was the most sacked in the league.

Southside Odds he'll be donning the black and gold: 50-50 even. Barnes price will be low, he made $548,000 last year and there are those out there who say a change of scenery will have him playing like he did his first three years in the league... He also is only 26...While a viable option, the only way he may have a shot at the Burg, is if the Steelers foresee themselves not re-signing Starks or Marvel Smith... The team has until Feb.19th to designate a player a transition of franchise guy, which is possible with either.

that would truly be a coincidence if barnes became a steeler. i have him on my madden 07 franchise as our LT. willie reid shot up from like a 75 to a 93 in one year on my team, and was in the last year of his contract, and marvel smith was getting up there in age. so i traded willie to jacksonville and got barnes, who was rated like an 85, but was only 25-26 years old. he's in the final year of his contract on the season i'm about to start. he'll definitely be getting a long-term deal :laughing:

The Duke
02-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Barnes is a great run blocker. But he's just AWFUL is pass protection

We already have good/average run blockers in Colon and Smith/Starks

Khaliff could play RT at a place like minesotta....

SC Gamecokk
02-18-2009, 09:09 PM
I could i only dream that a guy like Jordan Gross would end up in Pittsburgh. Too bad he's probably waaay to expensive.

i can't imagine what he'd do for our offense...

St33lersguy
02-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Why can't the Steelers go after a big name OL. Why must they continue to target these no name players. This year I say they target a pro bowler, a talented player. I prefer they target someone other than this holding machine

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Me 2 Sign Some Big Name Offensive Lineman!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Why can't the Steelers go after a big name OL. Why must they continue to target these no name players. This year I say they target a pro bowler, a talented player. I prefer they target someone other than this holding machine

Because signing Jordan Gross would mean that you will lose either James Harrison, Lamarr Woodley or Heath Miller......if not 2 of them. Which one do you want???

Gross is looking for a contract reportedly over $9million a season, which we could fit and also extend Harrison, but that would mean that we probably would only have money to extend Holmes and Miller, but have to let Woodley, McFadden and probably Timmons walk in the next 2 years. :doh:

tony hipchest
02-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Why can't the Steelers go after a big name OL. Why must they continue to target these no name players. This year I say they target a pro bowler, a talented player. I prefer they target someone other than this holding machinehow bout we target james harrison (like we did troy and ben 1 & 2 seasons ago)? he is a pro bowler, defensive league mvp and damn well shoulda led the league in sacks. he can help us out BIG TIME.

i'll take an aaron smith extension of a few years ago, over a big FA splash any day.

signing gross means waving good bye to the likes of s. holmes and h. miller. :wave:

fansince'76
02-18-2009, 11:34 PM

How'd going after high-priced FAs work out for the Browns this season? How has it worked out for the Redskins for years now?

Preacher
02-18-2009, 11:37 PM
The outrageous prices of lineman really has screwed up this league hasn't it.

Well, all I want is that middle to be able to GET A PUSH on short yardage situations.

Other than that, I was okay with the line at the end of this year. Well, except for the BONEHEADED PENALTIES

BlastFurnace
02-18-2009, 11:40 PM

2 Super Bowls in 4 years. I'm trusting the FO to sign the right guys.

tony hipchest
02-18-2009, 11:48 PM
we got ben on the cheap- he woulda been the highest priced FA if he ever hit the market (woulda been this year, 26 years old and a 2X sb champ)

we got troy cheap- he was the highest paid safety when we extended him. many teams woulda paid him more if we allowed him to hit the market.

faneca was the highest FA lineman- we let him walk and still won the bowl.

how come so many people dont regard our own players extensions as high priced free agent signings (cause that is what they really are, just a year ahead of time)?

revefsreleets
02-19-2009, 11:05 AM
This is really putting the cart before the horse...too soon...