PDA

View Full Version : Clutch play separates Roethlisberger and Dallas Cowboys' Romo

mesaSteeler
02-17-2009, 10:11 PM
(Note this is from a Dallas newspaper. - mesa)

Clutch play separates Roethlisberger and Dallas Cowboys' Romo
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/021809dnspocownewsletter.34319cc.html
09:01 PM CST on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sometimes we get so consumed with stats that we forget that winning and losing are really all that matters.

That's why Ben Roethlisberger is better than Tony Romo.

You wouldn't have convinced me of that a few months ago because Roethlisberger, who had 17 touchdown passes and 15 interceptions this season, usually plays such an ugly game.

Like so many others, I put too much credence on stats and style and not enough on performance and substance.

But when you watch Roethlisberger struggle for three quarters against Dallas before leading the Steelers on their only touchdown drive eight plays and 67 yards with 2:04 left, setting up Deshea Townsend's interception return for a touchdown in the Steelers' 20-13 win over Dallas, it affects you.

Just as it affects you when you watch Roethlisberger lead the Steelers on a game-winning touchdown drive in the Super Bowl after seeing the Cardinals take an improbable 23-20 lead with less than three minutes left.

At winning time, Roethlisberger plays his best. And he does it when it matters most. It doesn't matter what Roethlisberger has done in the first three quarters. Everyone on the field and in the stadium knows he's going to get it done at the end of the game.

As long as there's time on the clock, Roethlisberger thinks he's going to win. Those are among the reasons he has two Super Bowl championships in his first five seasons.

Romo had a 114.7 rating with nine touchdowns and an interception in the fourth quarter of games this season. He had a 97.4 passer rating with nine touchdowns and four interceptions on third down, the most important down in football.

He's 27-12 as a starter.

None of that matters because he's 0-2 as a playoff starter and the Cowboys were humbled, 44-6, in a win-and-get-in game against Philadelphia in the regular-season finale.

We shouldn't have been surprised considering he had a 67.9 rating with five touchdowns and six interceptions in December.

We question Romo's leadership, commitment and preparation because he hasn't played his best football when it has mattered most. Until he does, his gaudy stats won't matter because they lack substance.

FredScott
02-17-2009, 10:57 PM
This almost made me laugh a bit, I mean why would they even thin Romo is even in the same category as Big Ben. I mean true Ben can hurt us a bit by throwing some passes I wonder why he would sometimes (reminds me of Farve) but I would never want another QB other then Big Ben. Hes a true Steeler thru and thru.

MasterOfPuppets
02-17-2009, 11:13 PM
But when you watch Roethlisberger struggle for three quarters against Dallas before leading the Steelers on their only touchdown drive i don't seem to recall romo, playing so well in that game either...:noidea:

RoethlisBURGHer
02-18-2009, 08:20 AM
i don't seem to recall romo, playing so well in that game either...:noidea:

Haha I know. His only TD pass that game was luck, if our defense gets to him then Ben's TD drive is all we need to win that game.

Also, Romo threw the game-losing INT for the Cowpatties.

proudpittsburgher
02-18-2009, 08:25 AM
He's perfect for Dallas. Big Name, movie-star persona, doesn;t really ever get it done. Dallas is so far removed from knowing what it takes to win it's pathetic.

Jackal
02-18-2009, 08:39 AM
He's perfect for Dallas. Big Name, movie-star persona, doesn;t really ever get it done. Dallas is so far removed from knowing what it takes to win it's pathetic.

Seeing as how they are the only 1 of the 2 teams right behind us with 5 Super Bowl wins that has any realistic chance of catching us in the next 5 years, I'm fine with that.

OX1947
02-18-2009, 10:38 AM
A separate working brain separates Tony Romo from Big Ben.

JEFF4i
02-18-2009, 11:03 AM
No suprise. Romo chokes like a snake eating a walrus.

memphissteelergirl
02-18-2009, 04:23 PM
No suprise. Romo chokes like a snake eating a walrus.

Now there's a lovely visual. :yikes:

steelax04
02-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Holding Lombardi Trophy > Feeding Jessica Simpson

cowboykilla
02-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Romo is a bum.

HometownGal
02-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Like so many others, I put too much credence on stats and style and not enough on performance and substance.

AMEN to that. I'll take Ben's "ugly" style any day of the week and twice on Sundays over any other QB in the NFL. Ben knows how to get 'r done no matter what it takes.
When the game is on the line, all of my money is on BEN.

Romo is an overrated cupie doll in an NFL uniform. :jerkit:

AllD
02-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Style points don't matter. All that matters is a group of guys playing like a band of brothers and winning.

St33lersguy
02-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Romo sucks. If he played for one of the semi-pro teams from Ohio he'd lose almost every single game he played in. Romo is as bad as any QB in the league in the clutch, he folds like a longchair while Big Ben thrives under the pressure. Yet the guy has a few good games in september and has a winning record in December and the media is creating his Hall of Fame bust. I am glad people are starting to come to the realization that Big ben is the better QB

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Big Ben Is Way Better Than Tony Homo i Man Romo!

lilyoder6
02-18-2009, 10:00 PM
we all knew that ben was better than romo.. and romo has better threats then ben does..

Dodt
02-19-2009, 12:00 AM
an i thought it was the sangwich and the two superbowl rings.

Galax Steeler
02-19-2009, 03:28 AM
Who the hell is Romo

Romo is someone who wish's he could be like Big Ben.

gosteeler
02-19-2009, 05:39 AM
tony romo is the most overrated QB of all time, all those wins came against weak teams, when he plays good teams you see what happens!!!

Overrated big time, not a nfl qb to me

Dino 6 Rings
02-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Romo is someone who wish's he could be like Big Ben.

Tony Romo wears Big Ben pajamas.

stlrtruck
02-19-2009, 07:49 AM
tony romo is the most overrated QB of all time, all those wins came against weak teams, when he plays good teams you see what happens!!!

Overrated big time, not a nfl qb to me

What the hell are you talking about, he's got great fanatasy stats :flap: :toofunny:

steelballs
02-19-2009, 08:37 AM
...and two Super Bowl Championships.

Romo has a long way to go to get to Ben's level in my book.

Jackal
02-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Manning vs. BB? Legitimate debate.

Romo vs. BB? 100% laughable.

lilyoder6
02-19-2009, 08:55 AM
there is a possibility that romo has that ben doesn't....

a kid !?!?!?!?!?! hahaha

steelpride12
02-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Here are two key stats i see that seperates Tony Homo to Big Ben. Number one and most important, Ben has two Super Bowl wins to Tony's 0. Second of all Big Ben becomes his best during playoff time, where Tony and the whole Cowboys team chockes even with the best players around.

OneForTheToe
02-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Tony Romo wears Big Ben pajamas.

That's because Jessica will only put out for someone with a Super Bowl ring. :chuckle:

silverbackattack
02-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Can we just leave the Dallas Cowboys out of the "Steelers Fever" website!!! I am so sick of the conversations always going back to Dallas, Dallas, Dallas. Dallas has 6 letters in the name but only "5' rings.

This post should be removed, for that matter I'm starting a campaign here to rid the board of the words, "Dallas" or "Cowboys" or "Romo" or anything else that has to do with the Fagboys.

If you want to write something about the Fagboys go to Colin Cowherd's site. He's in love with them.

steelax04
02-20-2009, 09:48 AM
That's because Jessica will only put out for someone with a Super Bowl ring. :chuckle:

No wonder she plumped up... no bedroom acrobatics.

Dino 6 Rings
02-20-2009, 04:50 PM
What Big Game has Tony ever won?

Name the "Big Game" where he shined in the spot light?

There isn't one. None, nadda, zero, zilch.

He has NEVER won a Big Game in his life. He's a loser, he doesn't prepare like a winner, he chokes, he can't think on his feet, he's a pathetic moron that can NOT get the job done.

lilyoder6
02-20-2009, 06:54 PM
What Big Game has Tony ever won?

Name the "Big Game" where he shined in the spot light?

There isn't one. None, nadda, zero, zilch.

He has NEVER won a Big Game in his life. He's a loser, he doesn't prepare like a winner, he chokes, he can't think on his feet, he's a pathetic moron that can NOT get the job done.

i thought jessica did that:noidea:

SteelTalons
02-20-2009, 06:59 PM
i thought jessica did that:noidea:

:laughing: :thumbsup:

Ben is unreal with his Clutch play. You think we're done and he just brings us roaring right back. Romo's... Probably the biggest choke artist I've ever seen. If there even the slightest degree of pressure he's going to fold.

Texasteel
02-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Romo is over hyped because he is a cowboy, and the media just loves this overrated half baked team. If Romo played for Cleveland they would be talking about how badly they needed to draft a QB.