What do you take...

The Cowher Chin with intensity, spittle, and possibly poking your eye out
or
The Tomlin Beard that's well groomed, cool, calm, and collected

:noidea:

Kvnfaber
02-18-2009, 03:29 PM
I'll take:

The Cowher Chin with intensity, spittle, and possibly poking your eye out hiding behind the Tomlin Beard that's well groomed, cool, calm, and collected.

7SteelGal43
02-18-2009, 03:40 PM
I'll take:

The Cowher Chin with intensity, spittle, and possibly poking your eye out hiding behind the Tomlin Beard that's well groomed, cool, calm, and collected.

:applaudit: good answer.
I liked Cowher (very much) as our H.C., and he did bring us a Super Bowl. Funny tho, when I heard that Tomlin had been named our new H.C. (the Steelers Digest cover "a new era") I was hopefull but thought it would probably be a while before we see what he could really do. Little did I know it wouldn't take long for him to bring it home, baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tt03:

drizze99
02-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Tomlin

I loved Bill but he was too conservative for me....

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Tomlin Without A Doubt!

BlastFurnace
02-18-2009, 04:38 PM
I can't choose between the two.

Bill took us to the playoffs for 10 out of his 15 years. In two of the years that we didn't make the playoffs, we were very competitive. He also took a franchise that had played pretty lousy football for nearly a decade and built the "Blitzburgh" foundation we see today.

Tomlin...what more can be said about the guy. He's a great coach.

They both have their place in Pittsburgh history.

It's like debating, who was better in CF for the Yankees...Mantle or Dimaggio?

steelax04
02-18-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm just talking about the chin or the beard... not the coach. :flap:

My apologies if my capitalization personified it into being a coach discussion.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-18-2009, 05:27 PM
I would play for either coach, but gotta say that I like how Coach T keeps the beard and fro tightly groomed. Not like.................:fro:

BlastFurnace
02-18-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm just talking about the chin or the beard... not the coach. :flap:

My apologies if my capitalization personified it into being a coach discussion.

Beard...unless Coach T turns into Abe Lincoln.

HometownGal
02-18-2009, 06:57 PM
I would play for either coach, but gotta say that I like how Coach T keeps the beard and fro tightly groomed. Not like.................:fro:

:rofl::toofunny: Thank you very much, Gonz - my keyboard is now "spittled" with Vitamin Water. :chuckle:

Hmmmm - tough choice, but I'd have to say The Chin. Something about it screams "bad boy"! :wink02:

The Duke
02-18-2009, 07:20 PM

You know, something in me has always wanted to see him in the offseason when he may not be as groomed

now that would be a steelers experience :chuckle:

as for the question, I take either. both have just so similar styles....yet so different

both are winners though, that's all that matters :tt03:

tony hipchest
02-18-2009, 07:48 PM
tough call. tomlin is always straight up pimpin' while cowher was always straight lacin'. :noidea:

both will look super tight in bronze for their HOF bust. (will need some extra molten metal to cast that chin though) :tt02:

KeiselPower99
02-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Did yall forget about Cowhers beard???

iloveben7
02-18-2009, 08:50 PM
not the chin because he spit lol

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Well Beard Since Im Growing Mines Like His!

steelwall
02-19-2009, 03:42 AM
Tomlin has style no doubt, but you had to love the Cowher's intensity. I like both styles.

steelballs
02-19-2009, 09:20 AM
I'll go with the beard.

HometownGal
02-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Did yall forget about Cowhers beard???

Yes - I deliberately forgot about Cowher's beard. :chuckle:

I love facial hair on a guy but somehow, that beard just didn't look right on Cowher.

Jackal
02-19-2009, 09:40 AM
I love Cowher and was heartbroken when he decided to retire. He took over as HC when I was about 12 and was really starting to get into football. Combine that with the fact that my dad is almost a spitting image (no pun intended) of him, and I guess he sort of came to be viewed as somewhat of a paternal figure, at least in my eyes. Plus, his chin-jutting, spit-flying intensity became synonymous with Steelers football.

Thus, I was one of the fans that needed a little convincing when Tomlin came on board. I must say, though, that his perennially calm, even-tempered demeanor gives me a sense that he's never really out of control, and that, no matter what the situation, the game is never really out of reach.

So, facial hair? I'll go with the Chin. Coach? With all do respect, right now I'm loving Tomlin.

steelballs
02-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Yes - I deliberately forgot about Cowher's beard. :chuckle:

I love facial hair on a guy but somehow, that beard just didn't look right on Cowher.

I remember Cowher's "so-called" beard...problem was, it never filled in and nothing looks worse than a half grown beard.
Tomlin's beard, on the other hand, is tight. He must trim that sucker three times a day to keep it that neat.

revefsreleets
02-19-2009, 09:54 AM
I still think that the calm, cool way Tomlin simply accepts the refs explanations for bad calls helps us in the long run get our OWN close calls. Ever since Cowher showed up the refs on the Thanksgiving game when they flagged us for 12 players and he stuffed the picture of the actual 11 into the refs shirt I think the zebra's have had it in for us.

Tomlin has reversed that a bit, I think...

Jackal
02-19-2009, 09:56 AM
I still think that the calm, cool way Tomlin simply accepts the refs explanations for bad calls helps us in the long run get our OWN close calls. Ever since Cowher showed up the refs on the Thanksgiving game when they flagged us for 12 players and he stuffed the picture of the actual 11 into the refs shirt I think the zebra's have had it in for us.

Tomlin has reversed that a bit, I think...

Good point, as well. But you have to admit, that was funny....

Morgan
02-19-2009, 09:56 AM
For me it's a tie... and as soon as Mike wins #2 he moves to #2. If he wins #4 he moves into a tie for 1st. :) And if he wins 5 (how insane is this hypothetical thing going to GET???) he'd push Chuck aside.

steelpride12
02-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Until Tomlin's era is over i cannot choose who to pick right now. Cower has a good resumee with taking the Steelers to the playoffs 10 times out of 15 season with them with a 1 Superbowl ring. Now Tomlin on the other hand is young and has taking the Steelers to the playoffs 2 out of 2 attempts and won the Super Bowl on just his second attempt. Lets see how this youngster does on draft day and off season moved and years to come before the judment is made.

drizze99
02-19-2009, 10:50 AM
I think its fair to say we all love them both. And how is Cowher conservative??? :screwy:

What?

How many times did we have a 10 pt lead going into the 2nd half and totally take the air out of the ball? Marty ball anyone?

4th and 1 on the opponents 35.... Cowher is going for a FG.

4th and 1 on the opponents 35.... Tomlin is going for it.

I am going to go out on a limb now and say that Tomlin has this team in the playoffs every year he is coach barring injuries that are beyond his control.

Phoenixus
02-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Personally I don't think there's anything special about Tomlin.

What I can say about him... he's a smart man, he knows better than to screw with things that aren't broken and when to keep his hands off.

In reality Tomlin hasn't done much. The real power of the team comes from Lebeau and his schemes and tactical abillity which in reality are largely in opposition to a lot of Tomlin's beliefs for defense. Behind that of course is a really good front office that knows how to find talent both obvious and hidden and keep it around.

To Tomlin's credit, he knows better than to stick his nose in it and screw it up, so Lebeau is his own man and runs things as he chooses. Tomlin smartly leaves the well oiled machine alone and has absolute faith in it.

On offense, I don't know how much credit can be given to Ariens, but again what Ariens does or calls is completely irrelevent. The guy was a spectacular recievers coach, but what really matters is that Ben (the real power) believes in him and is comfortable with it and is given free reign to perform and show what he can do when the chips are down.

Again... Tomlin is smart enough to know where the real power of the offense is coming from and knows better than to mess with a good thing.

I watched Tomlin refuse to touch the Lombardi after the Superbowl, showing me that on top of being no fool, he also humbly knows when it was not him that was the power, but rather others under his command that he knows and is intelligent enough not to mess with when the machine is working as intended no matter how it may look on the surface.

So... no I don't think there's anything special about Tomlin, but he's no fool, and that's good enough. Cowher actually did have an impact on motivation, but as long as Tomlin stays smart... he's good enough for me.

bratsinmybelly
02-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Personally I don't think there's anything special about Tomlin.

What I can say about him... he's a smart man, he knows better than to screw with things that aren't broken and when to keep his hands off.

In reality Tomlin hasn't done much. The real power of the team comes from Lebeau and his schemes and tactical abillity which in reality are largely in opposition to a lot of Tomlin's beliefs for defense. Behind that of course is a really good front office that knows how to find talent both obvious and hidden and keep it around.

To Tomlin's credit, he knows better than to stick his nose in it and screw it up, so Lebeau is his own man and runs things as he chooses. Tomlin smartly leaves the well oiled machine alone and has absolute faith in it.

On offense, I don't know how much credit can be given to Ariens, but again what Ariens does or calls is completely irrelevent. The guy was a spectacular recievers coach, but what really matters is that Ben (the real power) believes in him and is comfortable with it and is given free reign to perform and show what he can do when the chips are down.

Again... Tomlin is smart enough to know where the real power of the offense is coming from and knows better than to mess with a good thing.

I watched Tomlin refuse to touch the Lombardi after the Superbowl, showing me that on top of being no fool, he also humbly knows when it was not him that was the power, but rather others under his command that he knows and is intelligent enough not to mess with when the machine is working as intended no matter how it may look on the surface.

So... no I don't think there's anything special about Tomlin, but he's no fool, and that's good enough. Cowher actually did have an impact on motivation, but as long as Tomlin stays smart... he's good enough for me.

Ummmm? Wow! So chin then????? :noidea:

OX1947
02-20-2009, 12:25 AM
The correct comparison is Tomlin vs. Noll. They look and sound the same. Even the way Tomlin came in pissing off everyone the first year was the same way Noll came in and pretty much told all the vets that they weren't good enough and that he was going to find guys who can run the plays right way and do the hard stuff.

Bill Cowher was exactly like Tomlin and Noll EXCEPT on game day. Cowher was a lunatic and was a very satisfying coach to watch as a Steeler fan. Other then Bradshaw, Noll really never got visibly upset consistently on the sideline after a bad play or a stupid mistake by his players. Tomlin never does it. Cowher though, man, when someone would hold on a 1st down play or something, his jaw would unhinge and it felt good that the feeling I had he would be unleashed on the player that pissed me off.

For those of you who are too quick to say "oh, tomlin is better then Cowher because Cowher was conservative" or "tomlin is a better X and O guy" or whatever. Cowher being conservative is a fallacy. Look at the 1995 team, he practically created the slash position in the NFL that continued on to the Randle El 10 years later. He ran the 5 wide and almost won a super bowl with it. Its not an accident that when he FINALLY had a all-world QB, he went 31-7 with him and won a Super Bowl. Cowher made the careers of Kordell and O'donnell. Those guys became nothing after they left Pitt. He even won a freakin division title with Mike Tomzack one year. On top of all that, before the Steelers went to Heinz Field, money was a major problem and they lost some amazing talent between 96-99.

If you give Bill Cowher Big Ben in 1992 like Bill Belacrap got Tom Brady when he got to NE, Cowher wins at least 3 titles in his career. And that is a conservative number considering during 15 years, Cowher went to 6 AFC title games.

With Big Ben at the very worst, I think the Steelers win SB XXX. They beat Denver in 1997 title game and beat the Packers in the Super Bowl. And of course win SB 40.

I love Tomlin, but the core of this team is still Cowher's team. However, Woodley and Timmons for Tomlin's first 2 picks is epic. I think Tomlin made his mark just by those two draft picks when he came in. And winning the SB in his second year only enhanced it. And don't forget Mendenhall. He will be an all-world running back for the Steelers, you watch.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Tomlin

I loved Bill but he was too conservative for me....

you nailed. Same problem i had with cowher.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-20-2009, 11:36 AM
nailed it* , sorry im at work don't have a lot of time to check for typos

4xSBChamps
02-20-2009, 01:27 PM
The correct comparison is Tomlin vs. Noll. They look and sound the same. Even the way Tomlin came in pissing off everyone the first year was the same way Noll came in and pretty much told all the vets that they weren't good enough and that he was going to find guys who can run the plays right way and do the hard stuff.

I've been saying that myself to 2 years now, that Tomlin is closer to Noll in approach to his team than His Chinliness ever was:
either-way, glad that Cowher finally got his long-sought Lombardi Trophy, too.

lilyoder6
02-20-2009, 04:35 PM
after getting to know tomlin thru out his 1st yr and all.. i will say i would pick him over cowher