PDA

View Full Version : Holmes to be fined by NFL

Carolina Steelers
02-18-2009, 02:44 PM
I dont know if its been posted but he will be fined $10,000 Just saw it on NFL Network.

The_WARDen
02-18-2009, 02:46 PM
for?

7SteelGal43
02-18-2009, 02:49 PM
for?

I'm guessing the post TD celebration in the Super Bowl.

klick81
02-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Meh...I'm sure looking at his new ring soon will make the $10k loss hurt a little less!

LukesDad88
02-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Does anybody else find it highly hypocritical of the NFL to fine players for these celebrations, when they show the Holmes celebration on every single commercial on the NFL Network?

Steelcitygal87
02-18-2009, 03:05 PM
http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2009/02/14/super-bowl-xliii-mvp-holmes-fined-for-td-celebration/

Looks like Super Bowl XLIII MVP WR Santonio Holmes is going to be missing a little cash following being fined $10,000 for using the ball as a prop after the game-winning TD.

A fine for using the ball as a prop is standard procedure, but one thing that still remains a sore spot with the Cardinals is why was Holmes not flagged on the play.

If a player uses the ball as a prop, the team takes a 15-yard penalty, and the player takes a $10,000 hit. V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira did say in the days after the game that a flag should have been thrown, but that the celebration occurred so long after the play that the officials didn’t notice it.

A flag would have meant that the Steelers would have kicked off from the 15-yard line, meaning that the Cards could have probably had a better shot in that final drive.

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-18-2009, 03:19 PM
That5 Me55ed Up!

ShutDown24
02-18-2009, 03:25 PM
That's bullshit. If there isn't a flag, you shouldn't be fined. That's how I've always viewed things - right or wrong. Furthermore, other players haven't got fined for using the ball as a prop this season. So what gives?

drizze99
02-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Like he cares about 10 G's, LOL

The NFL is a joke with all this celebration stuff... who cares. They take the fun out of it...

Galax Steeler
02-18-2009, 03:29 PM
That's bullshit. If there isn't a flag, you shouldn't be fined. That's how I've always viewed things - right or wrong. Furthermore, other players haven't got fined for using the ball as a prop this season. So what gives?

Thats the way I see it if there is no flag there should be no fine.

Benzbrother
02-18-2009, 03:31 PM

agreed

Steelcitygal87
02-18-2009, 03:32 PM

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/35636314.html

"Jared Allen of the Vikings was fined $10,000 by the NFL for using the football as a prop during a sack celebration last week. "

BlastFurnace
02-18-2009, 03:39 PM
As long at the touchdown counts. I don't care.

NEPAsteeler
02-18-2009, 03:53 PM
I kinda saw it coming to be honest. I figured the NFL wouldn't let that celebration go unpunished. Oh well. Maybe people will lay off now about us "getting lucky again". Then again... probably not.

steelerchad
02-18-2009, 04:01 PM
I don't think anyone feels the fine is a big deal. He just won his team the Super Bowl, of course he should be allowed to celebrate a little. The NFL needs to look at this and put some fun back in the game. As long as there's no taunting the other team, I think they should let it go.

I have to disagree with the no flag no fine people though. What if a player takes a cheap shot at one of our guys away from the play after the whistle and the refs don't see it because they're following the play. I think we'd all be looking for a fine and/or suspension even though there was no flag. Especially if it resulted in an injury.
The eye in the sky is a good thing to keep players safe.

rbryan
02-18-2009, 04:05 PM
There are plenty of instances where players have been fined after the fact when no penalty was called.

oldschool
02-18-2009, 04:09 PM
What the ELL!! It's been 2 1/2 weeks, if it was worth 10K they should have issued the fine the Monday after the game or at least some time the week after the game, not this late. This really makes the No Fun League look pretty lame.

rick723
02-18-2009, 05:40 PM
That5 Me55ed Up!

How's you miss the s, so bad? LOL

Preacher
02-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Its in the rule books... I have no problem with that fine. Maybe Santo will think twice next time.

I do however, dislike the idea of fines and suspensions when no penalties are called on the field.

However, if it has been done this year, then Santo deserves one as well.

HometownGal
02-18-2009, 05:44 PM

Word. What a debacle the NFL has turned into. :shake01: What's next? Hines getting fined for putting the smack on an opponent and smiling at him as he gets up? :doh:

AllD
02-18-2009, 06:16 PM
The NFL reserves the right to review, even if there is no flag. That is a sound policy.

They are also probably correct because it is the biggest stage and he kind of used the ball as a prop. Lynn Swann used to dump the ball down his back or just spike it. If that's good enough for Swannie, it should be good enough for everybody else. Swann was probably a bit more mature than Holmes, especially with his bush league comments during an interview after the catch in XLIII, "I want to thank all my fans..." He forgot it was about the team. Still am glad he made the play of his career at just the right time!!!

LukesDad88
02-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Its in the rule books... I have no problem with that fine. Maybe Santo will think twice next time.

Exactly. It is in the rulebook, and whatever you may think about the rule, it came very close to giving the game right back to Arizona. Arizona with the ball at the 45-50 with 35 seconds, two time outs, and the best Hail Mary Receiver in the game? It was a dumb move by him. Maybe the fine will help him remember, next time.

I do find the rule itself to be extremely hypocritical, however, whenever the NFL markets those celebrations on commercials, highlight films, shows, etc...

The Duke
02-18-2009, 06:57 PM
I bet santo's laughing at this looking at his mvp trophy :funny:

lilyoder6
02-18-2009, 07:19 PM
this is a stupid fine... but i'm guessing holmes rly don't care... BUT I BET TOMLIN AND THE ROONEY'S care b/c it's bringing bad media... j/k lol

but why the long wait???

Carolina Steelers
02-18-2009, 07:28 PM
I agree this fine should have been handled a couple of days of the Super Bowl not weeks later. I wish Holmes would have just done is normal celebration point to his name on his back.

T&B fan
02-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Does anybody else find it highly hypocritical of the NFL to fine players for these celebrations, when they show the Holmes celebration on every single commercial on the NFL Network?

:rofl::rofl: yea thats about right ..do as I say not as I do :laughing:

12+88=6
02-18-2009, 07:52 PM
would he have been fined if he did it when he got to the sideline?

if they're gonna fine for td celebrations how about a penalty and a fine for a sack celebration? like foote's stomp or porter's or woodley's kick or kiesel's rowing the boat? to me those are worse than a td celebration. remember when mark gastineau would g do that. i thought they made a rule against it.

they should either make everything (celebration) a penalty or let them do whatever.

fansince'76
02-18-2009, 08:01 PM
A flag would have meant that the Steelers would have kicked off from the 15-yard line, meaning that the Cards could have probably had a better shot in that final drive.

How so? Warner FUMBLED THE DAMN BALL! I'm so sick of this "what if" bullshit. We won. END OF STORY.

devilsdancefloor
02-18-2009, 08:02 PM
WOW can we wait any longer for this? This is bongus!!!

St33lersguy
02-18-2009, 08:24 PM
What a bunch of bulls***. Roger Goodell is just plain horrible

steelerbackr4life
02-18-2009, 08:38 PM

It definitely is hypocritical. But it is no different than the fining of players for "illegal hits " and espn commentators jumping on their pulpit and chastising the players for their behavior. But ut does not stop the same network from showing the deplorable act over and over.

OX1947
02-18-2009, 09:01 PM
http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2009/02/14/super-bowl-xliii-mvp-holmes-fined-for-td-celebration/

Looks like Super Bowl XLIII MVP WR Santonio Holmes is going to be missing a little cash following being fined $10,000 for using the ball as a prop after the game-winning TD.

A fine for using the ball as a prop is standard procedure, but one thing that still remains a sore spot with the Cardinals is why was Holmes not flagged on the play.

If a player uses the ball as a prop, the team takes a 15-yard penalty, and the player takes a $10,000 hit. V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira did say in the days after the game that a flag should have been thrown, but that the celebration occurred so long after the play that the officials didn’t notice it.

Oh yah, where the hell was the flag when Kurt Warner took his helmet off after that horse (bleep) forward pass call? Freakin hypocrites. I HATE the media with all of my soul.

Dino 6 Rings
02-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Fined for being Too Awesome!

I love it, last time the front offices started to fine us, it just made us HIT HARDER all year long.

They should fine us once a month til August just to keep my players Pissed Off and keep us Angry and agressive and out looking for Blood.

Muahahahahaha....my secret plot to get us fined and keep us angry is working....:cylon:

Soon the Steelers Nation will Rule the World!

X-Terminator
02-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Yeah, fine him almost 3 weeks after the fact. Good job, Goodell! Of course, it won't placate the whiners any, not that I care about them or anything.

fansince'76
02-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Yeah, fine him almost 3 weeks after the fact. Good job, Goodell! Of course, it won't placate the whiners any, not that I care about them or anything.

No, if anything, it will just add to the "conspiracy theory" bullshit. :coffee:

stlrtruck
02-19-2009, 07:48 AM
WOW can we wait any longer for this? This is bongus!!!

I'm sure this was just a typo but considering the earlier problem Holmes was having - it made me laugh.

:toofunny: :rofl: :laughing:

steelballs
02-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Total crap. I'm tired of the NFL retroactively levying fines, especially when there was no flag thrown at the time of the alledged infraction.

lilyoder6
02-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Maybe goodell needed the 10 g's to pay off his gambling debt that he made, saying he would get the pats to the SB and make them win... lol

Jackal
02-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Damn! I'm sure he had that $10G set aside for some new 20's on his MVP Caddy.

I'm sure he couldn't care less...

steelpride12
02-19-2009, 08:51 AM
He will take that small fine anyday over a 15 yard kickoff penalty during a nail biting game for sure. Figured the league would do something, but won't matter much when he has that fat juicy ring and super bowl winning check.

HometownGal
02-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Maybe goodell needed the 10 g's to pay off his gambling debt that he made, saying he would get the pats to the SB and make them win... lol

:toofunny::laughing::toofunny:

I never thought of that, kiddo, but you may be on to something there! :rofl:

steelergirl07
02-19-2009, 03:56 PM
I don't mind the fine. He broke the rules, and we were fortunate enough for the refs not to see it. What I don't like is at the end of the article, they say it would have given the Cardinals a better shot. It's bull. It's not like they came up short, or ran out of time. He fumbled the ball. God I hate the media sometimes.

Indo
02-19-2009, 04:17 PM
It's just another chapter in the story of The Pussification of Football

where are the Good ol' days when you could watch Lambert push a guy back down who was trying to get up after the whistle? Or you could see him be the Enforcer when Cliff Harris of the Cowgirls taunted Gerela for missing a field goal; or how about the time when Mean Joe elbowed the guy in the face when he was walking back to the huddle. Classic.

STOP PUSSIFYING THE GAME! LET THEM CELEBRATE!

(at least they got rid of that "QB in the Grasp" bulls**t. I was afraid they were gonna start making the it Two-Hand Touch for the QB to "protect him"). Maybe we should call it The Bradyfication of Football...

RoethlisBURGHer
02-19-2009, 04:28 PM
So the NFL makes this desicion WEEKS after the Super Bowl? That's a load of bull.

steelerdave1969
02-19-2009, 05:04 PM

Agreed, but obviously the NFL doesnt feel the same way we all do.

Steelers 27
Cardinals 23 FINAL

Thats All That Matters To Me and The History of The NFL Record Books
:drink:

bratsinmybelly
02-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Took them a little while to make up their mind! I wonder if they intend to levy a fine on Warner for removing his helmet in the field of play to argue the fumble call.
No, probably not. As a matter of fact I haven't heard one mention of that little incident on any program or read it in any article.
It's funny how nobody pays any attention to losers. I'm sure Holmes will pay the fine but if I were him I would argue it all the way just to piss them off!!

Stu Pidasso
02-19-2009, 11:31 PM
I see it as a positive. Now the Cards fans have one less thing to bitch about.

OX1947
02-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Hey guys, I don't have a link yet but heard that James Harrison will be fined for spiking a Cleveland Brown fan who ran onto the field.

Damn this injustice, the wrong must be righted!!!!

SteelShooter
02-20-2009, 12:03 AM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys are killing me! :sofunny:

It's in the rule books......I have no problem with the fine.
S.H. was lucky to have not been seen by the Refs......no problem again.

It does irk me that he was not thinking of the Team as a whole by doing this, which could have cost us some precious yards at an inopportune time.

But the bottom line is:

Warner had the ball forced out of his hand......we recovered......we won.

Funny thing, I have absolutely no problem with that either. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

verks36
02-20-2009, 05:04 PM

yaa thats true
he should get some loyalties for that considering the amount of times they show that lol

SteelCityKing
02-20-2009, 05:32 PM
i think the Super Bowl celebration was him throwing $10,000 worth of money in the air because he just didn't give a sh*t! haha!

i know it was the LeBron James pre game celebration. but why would they fine him almost a month after the fact? aside from Steelers fans, does anyone really care anymore?

LukesDad88
02-20-2009, 05:59 PM
It's easy to laugh it off after he didn't get called for it and we ended up winning; but if he had been called for it, and Arizona would have started their last drive from near field, people would have been calling for his head. With the rules being what they are, it was stupid.

I hope it leads off Tomlin's "News" once OTAs and camp start.

Morgan
02-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Hey LukesDad, I agree... I started a thread on it, and other stupid mistakes, but it's not in vogue to critique the things they could have done better, I guess.

The other good one is that the NFL network and ESPN glorify the hard hits, and the NFL fines the players. Good scam they have going there.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
02-21-2009, 02:00 AM
So is spiking the ball or dunking it over the goal post a penalty as well? After all, you did use the ball in your celebration. Giving it to the fans should be a penalty too.

I think as long as it doesn't delay the game, and it isn't foul, you should let them celebrate. It's going to be like chess soon with absolutely no emotion.

Steelcitygal87
02-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Lebron disgusted by Holmes fine.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-james-holmesfine&prov=ap&type=lgns

MILWAUKEE (AP)—The man who inspired Santonio Holmes’ Super Bowl touchdown celebration was downright disgusted by the NFL’s decision to fine the Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver for his LeBron-like display.

Told before Friday night’s game at Milwaukee that Holmes was fined $10,000 by the NFL, Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James called the league’s decision “disgusting.”

“Did he?” James asked. “That’s disgusting.”

Asked if he thought such celebrations make the game more fun for the fans, James said “absolutely.”

“Fun for the fans—fun for me,” James said. “I was watching. Us Ohio State Buckeyes, we’re alums, man. We’ve got to stick together.”

Holmes was the Steelers’ first-round pick out of Ohio State in 2006. James, of course, jumped straight from high school to the NBA. But he has an affinity for the Buckeyes—particularly after they debuted basketball uniforms with Nike’s LeBron logo in 2007.

Holmes’ acrobatic catch sealed Pittsburgh’s 27-23 Super Bowl victory over Arizona.

Impersonating James’ pregame ritual of tossing powder into the air, Holmes celebrated by shaking the football and tossing it. The Steelers weren’t penalized, apparently because the officials were getting ready for the point-after attempt and did not see Holmes’ display in the corner of the end zone, but the NFL ultimately fined Holmes for using the football as a prop.

James figures the Steelers will be willing to pay the fine.

“Super Bowl MVP and made that catch? I think the Steelers are going to pick that up,” he said.

lilyoder6
02-21-2009, 08:38 AM
maybe u should just pay it mr lebron.... evryone knows u are going to MAKE BANK in 2010

LukesDad88
02-21-2009, 09:26 AM
[Us Ohio State Buckeyes, we’re alums, man. We’ve got to stick together.”

No, Mr. James, you are not an "alum". To be an alumni, you never even attended college, let alone graduated. That lack of education is showing in your statement...

4xSBChamps
02-21-2009, 10:07 AM
No, Mr. James, you are not an "alum". To be an alumni, you never even attended college, let alone graduated. That lack of education is showing in your statement...

..... now, WHY would you go and ruin a good-story with something as trivial as 'fact' ?????

:drink:

LukesDad88
02-21-2009, 11:00 AM

Of course, my own statement is indicating either my lack of education, or at least poor proofreading skills! :toofunny:

markymarc
02-21-2009, 10:56 PM
The FO or Steelers players should just pony up the $10,000 for Holmes. Especially considering he made the biggest TD catch in Super Bowl history. But in the end, $10,000 is a small price to pay for that six pack :tt02:

Morgan
02-22-2009, 09:15 AM
So Santonio paid 10k for his Super Bowl ring upgrade so it came with an MVP trophy. I doubt he cares.

SteelersLUFC
02-22-2009, 04:15 PM
So Santonio paid 10k for his Super Bowl ring upgrade so it came with an MVP trophy. I doubt he cares.

(2)

steelreserve
02-23-2009, 11:25 AM
The things that puzzles me the most is, when you JUST SCORED THE WINNING TOUCHDOWN IN THE SUPER BOWL, why on earth would the first thing you think about be LeBron James.

fansince'76
02-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Hey LukesDad, I agree... I started a thread on it, and other stupid mistakes, but it's not in vogue to critique the things they could have done better, I guess.

Or it could be that most folks don't feel like delving into whether or not there's a possible "discipline problem" on the team due to a couple of players letting the adrenaline involved in arguably the biggest victory in franchise history momentarily get the better of them less than a week after said victory. :coffee:

The_WARDen
02-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Or it could be that most folks don't feel like delving into whether or not there's a possible "discipline problem" on the team due to a couple of players letting the adrenaline involved in arguably the biggest victory in franchise history momentarily get the better of them less than a week after said victory. :coffee:

Let that be a lesson to all you kids out there. When you win a championship, DO NOT get excited. DO NOT celebrate. Become a mindless robot, give the ball back to the ref (politely of course), and return to your bench.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

OneForTheToe
02-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Or it could be that most folks don't feel like delving into whether or not there's a possible "discipline problem" on the team due to a couple of players letting the adrenaline involved in arguably the biggest victory in franchise history momentarily get the better of them less than a week after said victory. :coffee

What he said.

Hell, I was doing the boogie down, overbite, chicken dance, bump &grind, salsa, polka, jump-jiving dance when I saw the TD catch.

err .. at least that is what I am told it looked like from those that were there.

stlrtruck
02-23-2009, 02:20 PM
What he said.

Hell, I was doing the boogie down, overbite, chicken dance, bump &grind, salsa, polka, jump-jiving dance when I saw the TD catch.

err .. at least that is what I am told it looked like from those that were there.

I would love to see a video of that. It sounds like a train wreck. Of course if someone took a video of my "dance" after that catch we could probably compare train wrecks. :rofl:

LukesDad88
02-23-2009, 03:24 PM

Discipline problem? Nope. Poor judgement? Yep. Hopefully, it gets taken care of.

4xSBChamps
02-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Discipline problem? Nope. Poor judgement? Yep. Hopefully, it gets taken care of.

:thumbsup: & :thumbsup:

fansince'76
02-23-2009, 03:35 PM

Well, for the next last-minute SB-winning TD catch Santo makes, let's hope he exercises better judgment.

LukesDad88
02-23-2009, 03:40 PM
No, in every game, with time still on the clock, let's hope he uses better judgement. I don't care if it's the SB or preseason.

jjpro11
02-24-2009, 01:35 AM
the fact that a penalty as insignificant as this could have effected the outcome of the super bowl should be a good enough reason for the nfl to done down their celebration penalty BS. it being talked about as much as it was alone was not good for the nfl and created an unnecessary amount of controversy that had nothing to do with the playing on the field.

MasterOfPuppets
02-24-2009, 02:33 AM
the fact that a penalty as insignificant as this could have effected the outcome of the super bowl should be a good enough reason for the nfl to done down their celebration penalty BS. it being talked about as much as it was alone was not good for the nfl and created an unnecessary amount of controversy that had nothing to do with the playing on the field. either that.....or the coaches and owners could remind thier players before every game that thier highly paid professionals , and should conduct themselves as such. is it really neccessary that they act like fools after damned near EVERY play? geesh i've seen guys acting like they just made the game saving tackle , after they made a 3 yd stop ....and receivers acting like fools after a 5 yd catch. ike taylor has to do that stupid ass hand in front of the face everytime the guy he's covering doesn't catch the pass.....EVEN when he had nothing to do with the miss !!! act like you've done it before, and celebrate AFTER YOU WIN THE FREAKIN GAME !!!

jjpro11
02-24-2009, 02:41 AM
either that.....or the coaches and owners could remind thier players before every game that thier highly paid professionals , and should conduct themselves as such. is it really neccessary that they act like fools after damned near EVERY play? geesh i've seen guys acting like they just made the game saving tackle , after they made a 3 yd stop ....and receivers acting like fools after a 5 yd catch. ike taylor has to do that stupid ass hand in front of the face everytime the guy he's covering doesn't catch the pass.....EVEN when he had nothing to do with the miss !!! act like you've done it before, and celebrate AFTER YOU WIN THE FREAKIN GAME !!!

i dont necessarily like it either.. but its not taunting and shouldnt be effecting outcomes of games.

stlrtruck
02-24-2009, 10:00 AM
ike taylor has to do that stupid ass hand in front of the face everytime the guy he's covering doesn't catch the pass

Come on MOP don't diss the John Cena - YOU CAN'T SEE ME - move!