PDA

View Full Version : I still don't know how we won the SuperBowl

steelerchad
02-18-2009, 04:17 PM
This team made the plays when it counted all year. They were the best team. They did what they needed to get wins. But I'm still a little shocked that they won it all. They had some major flaws this year that they overcame, which is a testament to how well they came together as a team to get it done.

The great news is they still won the Superbowl with these flaws and many of these can be corrected or at least improved for next year.

The O-Line was honestly below average for most of the year. Adding 1 high draft pick and maybe 1 free agent would help. I'm still most concerned with this for next year.

RB- should be helped with Mendenhall coming back, although we didn't get to see much of what he could do. I have faith he'll be a good pick and will add some power to the backfield.

Punter- Was terrible all year and should be improved with Sep coming back.

LB's- We're great. But I think will be even better. Another year of experience for a young Woodley and Timmons should be a beast, vs. an average Larry Foote.

D-line is getting old- But should be able to hold for another year or 2. We need youth here with one of our first 2 picks.

Rothlisberger didn't have a great season. He played clutch when he needed to. But he can be much more consistent than he was this year. 17TD's vs 15INTs in 08. 32 TD's vs. 11 INTs in 07.

In addition, our schedule is more favorable. As long as we stay healthy we should be a front runner again.

steelax04
02-18-2009, 04:35 PM
This is why playoffs are great and the BCS will always suck balls. I don't like the fact that you have to "win pretty" or by 846 points a game to be considered a top team in college. Settle it, straight-up, on the field, not over a ballot and cup ot tea.

BlastFurnace
02-18-2009, 04:49 PM
This is why playoffs are great and the BCS will always suck balls. I don't like the fact that you have to "win pretty" or by 846 points a game to be considered a top team in college. Settle it, straight-up, on the field, not over a ballot and cup ot tea.

Very true. If this was the Beauty Contest of college football...we were out of it a long time ago.

Galax Steeler
02-18-2009, 05:02 PM
I really didn't think we would make it that far.I am a die hard steeler fan and at best I thought we might make a run in the playoffs with the schedule we had.It go's to show you that you never know what will happen with a team with alot of heart.

KeiselPower99
02-18-2009, 05:29 PM
We won cause the team played as a team and believed in each other.

rick723
02-18-2009, 05:37 PM

Playoffs? Don't talk to me about playoffs, PLAYOFFS? Don't..............

HometownGal
02-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Admittedly, though I thought they could make the playoffs, I really didn't think they had a shot at the AFCN crown along with the first-round bye with the absolutely brutal schedule they had, but that "black and gold engine that could" pleasantly surprised us all! :tt02: :applaudit: I have loved all of our Super Bowl winning teams, but I think this team was truly the most special of all. :thumbsup:

SteelersMongol
02-18-2009, 07:12 PM
I still don't know how we won the SuperBowl

We won cuz we had all the refs on our side after bought em all before the game. :flap: Don't believe me? :chuckle: Ask some of the Cardinals fans & the Seahawks fans :laughing:

7SteelGal43
02-18-2009, 07:24 PM

BCS = Bull Chit System.

7SteelGal43
02-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Playoffs? Don't talk to me about playoffs, PLAYOFFS? Don't..............

:toofunny:

iloveben7
02-18-2009, 07:28 PM

that's what i HATE about college football.

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-18-2009, 09:45 PM
How Did We Win With A Pitiful OL I Still Kant UNderstand!

lilyoder6
02-18-2009, 10:02 PM
we won the game by scoring more points than the opponent.. lol

BlastFurnace
02-18-2009, 10:54 PM
This was my thought pattern as the season went along. How I morphed from very skeptical to someone who really believed we could win it all toward the end:

Pre-Season: Defense sucks, Offense will have to bail us out all year. Maybe 8-8 or 9-7 with the schedule we will be facing.

Opening Game: Ok, it was just Houston. Who knows how the game plays out if we don't stuff that 4th and inches on their first drive.

Philadelphia: The o-line sucks. The Steelers will be decent this year. Probably like last year's team...one and done in the playoffs. Surprisingly, defense looks good though. Ben will not last the season. Leftwich will be playing...due to Ben's injury...by week 8.

Losses against the Giants and Colts: This team really frustrates me. How did we lose these two games in 3 weeks! This team has "their going to break my heart" all over it.

New England and Dallas: We dominated them...but they didn't have Brady...but this was a big monkey off our back. Dallas...what a game. Living in Fort Worth, TX... atleast I have bragging rights. This team could do something in the playoffs with this defense. I'm in the beginning stages of getting a great feeling about this team.

Baltimore and Tennessee: I was still celebrating the Baltimore win...during the Tennessee game. Perhaps the team was as well. Still think we could do something in the playoffs, but I figured we would need to go through Tennessee to get to the SB. Belief is getting stronger.

San Diego and Baltimore Playoff Games: I knew this team would win these two games. Completely sold on Tomlin and the focus of the team.

Arizona: Again...knew we would win. Didn't doubt...even after the Fitz catch that Ben would either tie the game or win it. Admittedly, I was a little concerned about Whiz and Grimm's knowledge of our team.

stillers4me
02-18-2009, 11:04 PM
We won by sheer virtue of incredible heart. I read somewhere that by the end of the season, this team was was beating as one heartbeat. I knew after we beat the Ravens for the third time that nobody but our Steelers was taking that trophy home.

fansince'76
02-18-2009, 11:08 PM
The Dallas game was the turning point for me. I entered the season with the mindset that we'd wind up in the neighborhood of an 11-5 record, get the 3rd or 4th seed in the AFC, win a home WC game and lose in the AFC Divisional round. The Dallas game is where I started to believe this team could go all the way.

MACH1
02-18-2009, 11:18 PM
After the NE, Dallas games I thought they'd make it to the AFCC game and come up short again. BUT after beating the rats for a third time I knew they were bringing home number six.

tony hipchest
02-19-2009, 12:01 AM
after beating the patriots i was sure we were gonna do it.

we finished 12-4 and had the #2 seed. they finished 11-5 and completely missed the playoffs.

had that game (or a number of others) ended differently (SD, BALTx2, DAL) we never sniff the playoffs.

we were battle tested since the indy game and every game after that was a playoff game with exception to the sucky browns and bungles.

like you, i am still amazed it all worked out for us, but not suprised.

us winning was due justice, plus we were about as healthy going into the final game as any team i can ever remember (wards knee and bens ribs aside).

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
02-19-2009, 01:14 AM
we won the game by scoring more points than the opponent.. lol

Are you John Madden?

I say, and so do most others, that o-line is number one concern. With a decent o-line Ben and the running game will both improve.

steelpride12
02-19-2009, 09:03 AM
The Steelers just turned it up a notch in the playoffs like they did in '05. They play good ball in the regular season, but not good enough to win it all. But Ben only had one interception all playoffs and Super Bowl long and the defense tore it up. With the number one defense anyone can win championships and we proved it.

aries4972
02-19-2009, 11:37 AM
....doesn't this just go on to prove that all the speculating ,pre-game, pre-season, bullsheet is just that...... BULLSHEET.... we're gonna here it all offseason... " because we didn't draft this position we're gonna suck"......."because this team picked up that guy they're going to be great"....what it all comes down too is all the forcasting, predicting, speculating........ DOESN'T MEAN JACK SCHITT:banging:.. the game is played on the field 1 game at a time.. trying to predict what gonna happen 8 months from now is just... well... it just......plain......................... FUN:tt02:...

OK. so who thinks we should go offensive line with the 32nd pick????

:tt::tt::tt::tt::tt::tt:

stlrtruck
02-19-2009, 11:54 AM
OK. so who thinks we should go offensive line with the 32nd pick????

Take either part of the line:
Offense or Defense. I think either one we take won't be expected to contribute in year 1 but should be able to learn the system and add some relief down the stretch.

steelerchad
02-19-2009, 12:17 PM
The difference between the O-Line and D-Line is night and day to me. The O-Line needs 1 or 2 starters for this upcoming season. The D-Line really just needs depth. A young stud in the first round with a year or 2 to learn, ready to start by year 3. We may be better off getting a veteran free agent than the draft for O-Line. I'd still draft one in the first 3 rounds, but we need someone who can play next year. Don't break the bank, but the Hartwig signing was a nice upgrade from the previous year.

Morgan
02-19-2009, 12:37 PM
The BCS did get rid of the margin of victory factor...but it still sucks balls.

aries4972
02-19-2009, 02:13 PM
The difference between the O-Line and D-Line is night and day to me. The O-Line needs 1 or 2 starters for this upcoming season. The D-Line really just needs depth. A young stud in the first round with a year or 2 to learn, ready to start by year 3. We may be better off getting a veteran free agent than the draft for O-Line. I'd still draft one in the first 3 rounds, but we need someone who can play next year. Don't break the bank, but the Hartwig signing was a nice upgrade from the previous year.

... I'd be happy if we got 1 stud o-Lineman in the draft + 1 serviceable free agent . then spend the later rounds 3-7 and get a couple project D-lineman

:tt::tt::tt::tt::tt::tt:

WindyCitySteelerFan
02-20-2009, 05:28 PM
We won cause we did well this year! Plus I love my new avatar!!

4xSBChamps
02-21-2009, 07:39 AM
The Dallas game was the turning point for me.

Not-being able to follow 'em Stillers closely from Floriduh, I kept in-contact with a friend this season, who told me this team just finds a way to win close games:
after watching the Cryboy game, then the 2nd Ratbird game (Holmes' catch at the goal-line), I understood what he was saying.
:tt02:

The NFL doesn't want dominant teams (Packers of the '60s, Stillers of the '70s) anymore, and wants the playoff to closely resemble the NCAA Basketball Championship, properly named a 'tournament', where everybody who makes the post-season thinks they have a realistic chance at the title if they can capture lightning in a bottle for a few weeks.