PDA

View Full Version : Colts to cut Marvin Harrison

NJarhead
02-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Yes, that's what I said:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=139445

wow. It is Adam Schefter reporting it so I'll believe it when I see it....does appear factual though.

MACH1
02-18-2009, 09:07 PM
He'd look good in the B&G. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
02-18-2009, 09:13 PM
i bet atleast 5-6 teams will be lined up to give him 5-6 mil/ year.

he'll take a slighter than that discount and go back home to philly. donovan has got to be jizzing himself.

MasterOfPuppets
02-18-2009, 09:25 PM

he'll take a slighter than that discount and go back home to philly. donovan has got to be jizzing himself.could be....if marvin could get over his injury bug, i think he could still contribute in the passing game....maybe put him in the slot....:noidea:

T&B fan
02-18-2009, 09:41 PM

he'll take a slighter than that discount and go back home to philly. donovan has got to be jizzing himself.

did they play together at Syracuse I thought Harrison was gone when Donovan was there.

The Duke
02-18-2009, 09:46 PM
He's one of my favorite receivers all time, but yeah he's not worth that much right now

How much did issac bruce sign for last year? I would guess marvin gets a similar deal....

NJarhead
02-18-2009, 09:57 PM

My $$'s on Philly. Whattaya think T-Chest? :chuckle:

lilyoder6
02-18-2009, 10:01 PM
harrison going back to his hometown to finish out his career...

imagine this for mcnabb....

desean jackson, T.J, and then harrison
in the backfield westbrook, and maybe a 1st rd rb pick... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

could be interesting

devilsdancefloor
02-18-2009, 10:34 PM
I am in real shock Peyton told the team a few years ago that marvin is his secruity blanky on the field. i wonde rif he will come back for a pay cut?? but philly would be a place where i think he would end up for a reduce cost. But his best years ar behind him for sure. I wish him the best of luck his is a good reciever and a decent man.

Galax Steeler
02-19-2009, 03:44 AM
It won't take long for Harrison to find a home.
He may not be the same receiver we were used to seeing in the past but I would say he could still be good for a couple of more years.

revefsreleets
02-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Now THAT is intriguing. He'll command too much salary, and look for too long of a deal, but Harrison (even with diminishing skills), Holmes and Ward would be a formidable WR tandem.

vasteeler
02-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Now THAT is intriguing. He'll command too much salary, and look for too long of a deal, but Harrison (even with diminishing skills), Holmes and Ward would be a formidable WR tandem.

eh dont need him we got SWEEEEEED:tt02:

revefsreleets
02-19-2009, 11:04 AM
eh dont need him we got SWEEEEEED:tt02:

Sweed, master of the dropped ball and stupid penalty.

Dino 6 Rings
02-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Having someone get SHOT with you gun doesn't help you value to a team either.

I don't want this guy as our #3, he gets hurt too much.

He'll play in Philly, maybe Philly will get Harrison and Houshamama in the same off season and actually give their QB some weapons to throw to.

OneForTheToe
02-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Did Archie Manning sign off on that move?:shake01:

Maybe the "heater" he keeps bringing to practice is making other nervous? :noidea:

Seriously, I think Harrison was a great player, but I would be leary of signing him. He might not have much left in the tank. I think if the Colts thought he could play up to his former level they would have kept him somehow.

revefsreleets
02-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Harrison at 80% as a #3 is > Nate Washington (at 100%) or Sweed (at 150%)

NEPAsteeler
02-20-2009, 09:24 AM
His best football is definitely behind him but Marvin Harrison is still a good player, as long as he stays healthy. I think he'd be a good fit for any team looking for that veteran experience.

Steelcitygal87
02-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Sweed, master of the dropped ball and stupid penalty.

Sounds as though your mind might be made up about Sweed? I was wondering if maybe the dropped balls has something to do with the wrist injury he suffered in college? Since this past season was his first, maybe it wasn't as healed as it should be:noidea:. I really don't have a firm stance on him one way or the other. I am more concerned about his attitude than his skill. I hope he brings a good work ethic with him into the 2009 season. He sure has great players around him to help mold and mentor him. Anxious to see how he performs in 2009.

revefsreleets
02-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Sounds as though your mind might be made up about Sweed? I was wondering if maybe the dropped balls has something to do with the wrist injury he suffered in college? Since this past season was his first, maybe it wasn't as healed as it should be:noidea:. I really don't have a firm stance on him one way or the other. I am more concerned about his attitude than his skill. I hope he brings a good work ethic with him into the 2009 season. He sure has great players around him to help mold and mentor him. Anxious to see how he performs in 2009.

Sweed was innocent until proven guilty. By all accounts, he's a good kid, a hard worker, but his head just doesn't seem in the game to me, and it's not just the dropped passes, it's the dumb penalties. I wonder how many wrong routes he ran this year as well? What we've seen is probably only the tip of the iceberg.

Hope I'm wrong, but I'm just being pragmatic...

Steelcitygal87
02-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Sweed was innocent until proven guilty. By all accounts, he's a good kid, a hard worker, but his head just doesn't seem in the game to me, and it's not just the dropped passes, it's the dumb penalties. I wonder how many wrong routes he ran this year as well? What we've seen is probably only the tip of the iceberg.

Hope I'm wrong, but I'm just being pragmatic...

That is the impression I always got about Plaxico as well. He always came across to me as being "spacey" in the game...as though he was distracted and not concentrating/focusing.

Found this and I agree with what the poster is saying(it is from Oct)

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/10/21/its-way-too-early-to-give-up-on-limas-sweed/

But it's time to take a deep breath and give the second-round pick a break. The reality is that rookie wide recievers are generally awful, and it often takes three seasons before an NFL receiver truly gets it. Sweed clearly hasn't gotten it yet, as he dropped too many passes during the preseason and has shown signs that the game right now is too fast for him. But eventually Sweed will catch up to the speed of the game, and when he does the drops will likely go away as well. If you don't believe me, check out this chart. It's a listing of the rookie receiving totals for 11 of the NFL's current top 20 receivers ranked by receiving yardage. As of right now, Sweed has already outperformed Devery Henderson and has Santana Moss and Vincent Jackson's rookie production in his sights.

Player Rec Yards
Roddy White 29 446
Santana Moss 2 40
Bernard Berrian 15 225
Steve Smith 10 154
Reggie Wayne 27 345
Vincent Jackson 3 59
Muhsin Muhammad 25 407
Devery Henderson 0 0
Brandon Marshall 20 309
T.J. Houshmandzadeh 21 228
Derrick Mason 14 186

Steelcitygal87
02-23-2009, 05:17 AM
Harrison reluctant to take pay cut....

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=520704

Posted: February 22, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Marvin Harrison's reluctance to take a pay cut could mark the end of his career in Indianapolis.

Colts president Bill Polian told reporters Sunday at the NFL's annual scouting combine that the team was trying to rework Harrison's deal to lower the receiver's salary cap number from approximately $13.4 million, the highest number of any wide out in the NFL.

But a person familiar with the negotiations, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the team has not made an announcement, later told The Associated Press that Harrison "probably would not be interested in" reducing his base salary.

If Harrison decides against a redoing his contract, the only other options for the Colts would be to keep Harrison at his cap number or to release him.

Harrison has been one of the Colts' most identifiable players since their move to Indianapolis. He ranks No. 2 in the NFL in career receptions (1,102) and holds all of the franchise's major career and season receiving records.

He is also 36 years old, coming off one of the least productive seasons of his career -- he missed all but five games in 2007 -- and with the Colts in a salary cap crunch, Polian may not be able to keep Harrison at his current price.

Next year's cap is expected to be $123 million.

"The new cap rules, that's not something we planned for," Polian said. "As a result, we have some issues with veterans, including Marvin. Hopefully, we'll find a way to work through that. I don't know if we will, but we hope to."

Since being drafted by the Colts in 1996, Harrison has been a model of consistency.

He's made eight Pro Bowls and won a Super Bowl ring. His 14,550 yards rank fourth on the NFL's career list and he's No. 5 with 128 TD catches. Harrison and Peyton Manning also teamed to produce the most proficient passing tandem in league history.

But Manning has increasingly thrown more passes to Reggie Wayne, who has made the last three Pro Bowls, while Anthony Gonzalez, Indy's first-round draft pick in 2007, has made a push for more playing time.

Polian and coach Jim Caldwell have repeatedly said they do not believe Harrison's skills are deteriorating.

"What I saw is a guy who is as quick as he's been, with the same hands and he has the ability he's always had," Caldwell said Thursday.

Philadelphia police also believe one of Harrison's guns was used in a shooting in his hometown last summer. No charges were filed against Harrison, and the man who made the accusation is now headed to trial for lying to police.

Harrison isn't the only veteran the Colts could lose this week.

Polian said Sunday that he had made an offer to three-time Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday and Saturday was "mulling it over."

Saturday, however, told The Associated Press later that he has discussed it with his wife and has decided to become a free agent. Players can beginning signing with other teams on Friday.

"I think I made it very clear that I wanted to stay in Indy, that's where my wife and family wanted to stay, and I wanted to retire here," he said. "But I'm moving into free agency because my wife and I decided this is what is best for our family, though I've not completely ruled out playing for the Colts."

Saturday has started 138 games in nine seasons and is responsible for making blocking calls along the line.

Those two, along with Manning and punter Hunter Smith, are the longest-tenured players on the Colts roster. Smith's agent, Thomas Mills, has said Smith also does not expect to be re-signed by the Colts before Friday.

Saturday said he was surprised by the offer and has made his decision.

"After Kelvin (Hayden) was done, Bill called and we met and that's when he came with the offer," Saturday said. "We discussed it"

Saturday would not discuss details of the Colts' offer or characterize the contents.

The problem for Indianapolis is salary cap space.

On Thursday, the Colts signed Hayden, a corrnerback, to a new five-year, $43 million deal. That means since 2004, Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Ryan Diem, Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark and Ryan Lilja have all signed contracts worth at least $19 million.

Polian does not believe those deals have put Indy in the money pinch; the new salary cap rules have.

Clearly, though, Harrison's six-year $66 million deal, with $22 million in bonuses, signed in December 2004 is now proving too costly and if Harrison doesn't accept a pay cut, he may be looking for work in another city.

"I don't want to characterize the discussions," Polian said of the negotiations with Harrison. "But we are impacted by the salary cap for the first time in 11 years."

MasterOfPuppets
02-23-2009, 05:36 AM
"I think I made it very clear that I wanted to stay in Indy, that's where my wife and family wanted to stay, and I wanted to retire here," he said. "But I'm moving into free agency because my wife and I decided this is what is best for our family, though I've not completely ruled out playing for the Colts." TRANSLATION - if i don't get a better offer, i'll come back.....:chuckle:

lilyoder6
02-23-2009, 07:22 AM
TRANSLATION - if i don't get a better offer, i'll come back.....:chuckle:

pretty much...

steelreserve
02-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Harrison at 80% as a #3 is > Nate Washington (at 100%) or Sweed (at 150%)

Yeah, and Harrison at 80% is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ > Washington at $$$$$$ or Sweed at $$.

revefsreleets
02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
This is the problem with these contracts. They are often backloaded to pay the guy the MOST money when he's LEAST productive.

I want to clarify: The ONLY way I'd want Harrison is if he agreed to take less $$$ so he could get more WWW's. He'd have to buy into the "team first" philosophy of the Steelers and all that.

Not gonna happen but it's kind of fun to "what if?" this one....

Fire Haley
02-23-2009, 12:05 PM
I don't know about Marvin. His knee was a big issue all of last year and he never looked like the same player that was once out there.

If he's leaving, he'll want more money than we can give him.

Fire Haley
02-23-2009, 05:15 PM
I'd still rather have T.J.

steelerbuckeye
02-23-2009, 08:07 PM
I think Philly would be a good fit for him.

devilsdancefloor
02-23-2009, 08:50 PM
I'd still rather have T.J.

id rather have this focker play for us than douchmanza

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/3/2/23/f_RoyTigerm_98247ca.jpg

xfl2001fan
02-23-2009, 09:04 PM
id rather have this focker play for us than douchmanza

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/3/2/23/f_RoyTigerm_98247ca.jpg

LITP...is that you?

Fire Haley
02-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Not so fast....

Colts | Owner will make last effort to keep Harrison
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 05:59:53 -0800

Mike Chappell, of the Indianapolis Star, reports Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay will attempt one last-ditch negotiating effort Tuesday, Feb. 24, to retain WR Marvin Harrison. Irsay insisted late Monday, Feb. 23, that Tom Condon, Harrison's agent, was "premature" earlier in the day when he said the Colts had agreed to release Harrison. Condon said Harrison had requested the release after declining the team's attempt to restructure his contract. "Marvin and I are talking (today) at mid-afternoon and we'll see where we go from there,'' Irsay said. "I'm not going to start talking like he's not here, because nothing's been determined officially by any stretch.''

revefsreleets
02-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Mistake. And that's definitely not "The Steeler Way".

The Colts are about to reward a player for what he's done, not what he is still capable of doing. Foolish.

lilyoder6
02-24-2009, 12:03 PM
if harrison has said no to a reconstructure.. then what does he plan to do 2 keep harrison there...

they drafted gonzalez for this day,i think they can let him go.. hell they let egde go

steelerbuckeye
02-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Who the hell needs Harrison when you've got Roy Hall?

LOL /Buckeye love

Fire Haley
02-24-2009, 05:30 PM
It's official Marvin is gone from the Colts - press conference.

http://ind.scout.com/a.z?s=113&p=9&c=2&cid=842015&nid=3655100&fhn=1

funny

Rome Just BURNED Marvin on his show a couple of minutes ago

Told him to let go of his ego and accept that he isn't worth 13.4 million dollars and that he needs to accept and own the fact that he isn't Peyton's number one guy anymore

Said he doesn't want to see him float around from team to team his last couple of years and that Jerry Rice wouldn't wish that on anyone

Also said something along the lines of "You might be the 4th best go-to option on that team, but that team is your number one option.

revefsreleets
02-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Go Romey!

Now maybe he'll come play 3rd WR for us for vet minimum (which WON'T be THAT minimum considering how long he's been in the league)