PDA

View Full Version : Local star Bryant McFadden should hit free agency: Dolphins interested?

mesaSteeler
02-19-2009, 06:09 PM
South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Local star Bryant McFadden should hit free agency: Dolphins interested?
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-mcfaddenstory09,0,2158629.story?track=rss
Omar Kelly

South Florida Sun-Sentinel
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-mcfaddenstory09,0,2158629.story?track=rss

1:03 PM EST, February 19, 2009

Winning an NFL championship just doesn't breed envy. It also fuels coveting from other NFL teams.

That's the situation the Steelers are presently facing heading into free agency, and McArthur High product Bryant McFadden could be positively impacted by his team's success. At least his wallet could.

The cornerback's services will be in demand when/if he hits the open market, and there is concern in Pittsburgh that his salary requests could put him in another jersey next season.

If a deal isn't struck by Feb. 27, McFadden will be free to field offers from the rest of the NFL, and the Dolphins could be interested in bringing this South Floridian home.

"My first option is going back to the Steelers, but I'm looking for a nice little check," said McFadden, a former Florida State standout who was selected in the second-round of the 2005 draft.

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers director of football operations said the team's still talking to their 18 free agents, which includes their top four offensive linemen, hammering out more details in the negotiations. Pittsburgh is roughly $18 million under the 2009 salary cap.

Colbert admitted Pittsburgh's top priority is re-working James Harrison's contract, ensuring that the 2008 Defensive Player of the Year finishes his career in Pittsburgh. Addressing the offensive linemen comes next.

But where does that leave McFadden, who has started 18 games over the past four seasons, averaging 34 tackles per year, and intercepting seven passes in his career?

"He is a priority, but we're not going to be able to keep this whole team together. We will continue to negotiate with all our free agents, and what comes together comes together," Colbert said.

"It only takes one team to accelerate the price. It doesn't take a great market [at the position]," Colbert said. "But if one team has a sincere interest and you're not able to match that you're probably going to lose that player."

Copyright 2009, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Aw MAN!

StainlessStill
02-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Bmac was a priority I would of looked at first out of all our Free Agents. Unfortunately, we can't keep everyone and with the franchise put on Starks, and with the team more than likely dishing out for Harrison, I don't see how we could keep Bmac on the roster. From now on it'll be trial and error for the front office, and it's going to be a helluva ride up until the draft.

kingkulsteel
02-19-2009, 07:12 PM
I will hate losing him but we always seem to replace talent with talent

tony hipchest
02-19-2009, 07:27 PM
his pricetag just shot through the roof with nnamdi asomough getting $15 mil/ year and d. robinson being franchised.

teams like raiders pissing money into the wind really screws it up for fiscally responsible clubs.

Preacher
02-19-2009, 07:34 PM
his pricetag just shot through the roof with nnamdi asomough getting $15 mil/ year and d. robinson being franchised.

teams like raiders pissing money into the wind really screws it up for fiscally responsible clubs.

I guess we now wait to see if B-mac cares more about rings or dollars.

Then again, we gotta ask, if he has not been able to beat out Townsend, should we keep a hold of him? Maybe it is time to look for a CB on the first day of the draft. Pick us up a lineman and a CB.

KeiselPower99
02-19-2009, 07:39 PM

Couldnt agree more. Where is Oakland getting this money at though?? Al is rumored to be losing money every year.

86WARD
02-19-2009, 07:42 PM

QFT.

It's going to suck to see McFadden go...:mad:...but he just got paid via the Nnamdi deal...:banging:

86WARD
02-19-2009, 07:43 PM

Then again, we gotta ask, if he has not been able to beat out Townsend, should we keep a hold of him? Maybe it is time to look for a CB on the first day of the draft. Pick us up a lineman and a CB.

He was far better than Townsend this season...

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-19-2009, 07:50 PM

I would guess dollars!!

The kid already has 2 rings, which is more than Charles Woodson, DeAngelo Hall, Asomgua, Robinson and many other can say. See ya later B-Mac. Now have to hope Mark Parson is around come draft time.

Sharkissle29
02-19-2009, 07:58 PM
this article doesnt seem very promising that we will bring back mcfadden, which is a mistake...

but this is just evidence of how greedy players are. mcfadden doesnt know that its no fun playing for a team that sucks, he only knows what its like to play for a super bowl contender every year. these are the type of players i hate, so if we cant resign him, i hope the team he plays for sucks terribly.

Iron Gut
02-19-2009, 08:03 PM
this article doesnt seem very promising that we will bring back mcfadden, which is a mistake...

but this is just evidence of how greedy players are. mcfadden doesnt know that its no fun playing for a team that sucks, he only knows what its like to play for a super bowl contender every year. these are the type of players i hate, so if we cant resign him, i hope the team he plays for sucks terribly.

It is a business. Don't forget that. The Steelers aren't going to pay him big money if he doesn't produce. Why should he take less if he does produce?

I don't hold this against any player. I currently make a decent living, however, if company XYZ shows up and offers me more $$, I am most likely going to work for them. When it all comes down, I am loyal to my family and their interests first and foremost. The players feel the same way,

tony hipchest
02-19-2009, 08:04 PM

he already beat out townsend. we just see so much of townsend because teams play nickle anywhere between 40-50% of the time. it has almost become a "base package" in todays nfl. to succeed, you really need 3 starting calibur CB's (which we have and helps explain us being #1 in pass defense).

maybe a year ago we coulda gotten away with offering him a big extension at $5 mil/ year. but doing that this year would suggest he's just 1/3 the CB and be a slap in the face.

i really though we could get a deal done (and still might be able to) until i heard it suggested that nnamdi would become the highest paid defender in nfl history (with exception to peppers).

why couldnt it have been haynesworth? :banging:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-19-2009, 08:24 PM
It is a business. Don't forget that. The Steelers aren't going to pay him big money if he doesn't produce. Why should he take less if he does produce?

I don't hold this against any player. I currently make a decent living, however, if company XYZ shows up and offers me more $$, I am most likely going to work for them. When it all comes down, I am loyal to my family and their interests first and foremost. The players feel the same way,

I agree. The fan that begrudges a guy for leaving for more $$.......99.9% of the time would leave for another job doing the same thing for a significant pay increase.

Sharkissle29
02-19-2009, 08:58 PM
I agree. The fan that begrudges a guy for leaving for more $$.......99.9% of the time would leave for another job doing the same thing for a significant pay increase.

These guys are making millions, and MILLIONS of dollars.

What you guys are saying is completely different.

Of course someone is gonna take a job making $80,000 over $60,000. That is going to make them live more comfortably.

Just throwing this out there, but these guys are taking raises in the millions.
Deal 1- 4 years 20 million
Deal 2- 4 years 27 million

wow is 20 million not enough? sry but i dont take your guys' "business" attitude.

just my 2 cents.

tony hipchest
02-19-2009, 09:03 PM
colts kelvin hayden = 5 yrs/$43 mil :dang:

(and while being on a losing team may suck, cashing a half a million dollar check every week for a third of the year doesnt.)

steelerbackr4life
02-19-2009, 09:06 PM

Precisely he has been here since 05. Would have thought at minimum he would be firmly planted as a starter this point in his career.

lilyoder6
02-19-2009, 10:00 PM
it's shitty that these things happen.. but the players have to take the most money they can get.. b/c they don't know when it will be all over

bratsinmybelly
02-19-2009, 10:28 PM
why couldnt it have been haynesworth?

Don't worry. Haynesworth will make more when it's all said and done. I agree that Davis hurt the market as a whole by pissing his money away but I still don't think that Bmac is considered a "shutdown" CB and he might find the market a little softer than he expects. I just hope his agent has enough sense to explain to him that there is also value (endorsements, etc.) in playing for a contender.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-19-2009, 10:48 PM
These guys are making millions, and MILLIONS of dollars.

What you guys are saying is completely different.

Of course someone is gonna take a job making $80,000 over $60,000. That is going to make them live more comfortably.

Just throwing this out there, but these guys are taking raises in the millions.
Deal 1- 4 years 20 million
Deal 2- 4 years 27 million

wow is 20 million not enough? sry but i dont take your guys' "business" attitude.

just my 2 cents.

Its about getting what you are worth to these guys. You may not agree with it, but its how these guys think and they are competitors on the grid iron and balance sheet.

If I make $100k a year and I know guys that do the same thing I do and are making $150K a year, personally I want to get paid what I am worth. Maybe I am greedy, but money is just grown ups way of keeping score. :noidea:

OX1947
02-19-2009, 11:34 PM
William Gay is the insurance in this. If B-Mac gets big money, god bless him, he has to take it and this is the salary cap era, you just cant sign everyone. But at least we have Gay and Townsend to back him up.

Townsend has been by far one of the most underrated Steelers of all time. This guy is amazing. And if anyone says negative things about him is a fool. Probably the same idiots who downgrade Larry Foote. I wonder if some of the Steeler fans out there actually watch the games to have the nerve to say that these guys do not contribute in a huge way.

SunshineMan21
02-19-2009, 11:56 PM
BMac is a decent player, but he's nowhere close to being in Nnamdi's league. I would make it a priority to keep him over a crappy O-lineman (like, I don't know . . . Colon?), but there isn't going to be a huge dropoff between him and Gay.

Also, Townsend has voluntarily taken a lower salary for years to play for the Steelers . . . I would much rather have a guy like that on my team.

Steeldude
02-20-2009, 01:09 AM
that's good news. let the dolphins overpay him. IMO, harrison, miller, aging D-line and the O-line are the steelers top priorites. no need to throw a lot of money at an average CB.

Galax Steeler
02-20-2009, 04:50 AM
I hate to see B-Mac go, but if he wants a huge contract then see ya later.

atlsteelers
02-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Its about getting what you are worth to these guys. You may not agree with it, but its how these guys think and they are competitors on the grid iron and balance sheet.

If I make $100k a year and I know guys that do the same thing I do and are making $150K a year, personally I want to get paid what I am worth. Maybe I am greedy, but money is just grown ups way of keeping score. :noidea:

I am with ya on this one. you can not fault a guy for trying to get as much cash as he can. you never know which play might be your last.

stlrtruck
02-20-2009, 09:19 AM
See this is what I don't get. These guys get all hamstrung over a few extra million in bonus money, signing bonus, or even contract money instead of the true mark of dominance - THE LOMBARDI.

You know McFadden as good as you are, if you're more worried about padding your wallet than you are putting on the real bling then SEE YA!

steelpride12
02-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Harrison is the key priority right now for Colbert and the Steelers. I could possibly see room to get a small deal on either Washington or B-Mac, but one is gonna go. Id rather see B-Mac go, make a good deal on him, Move up Gay, and get a solid CB in around the 4th or 5th round.

SteelMember
02-20-2009, 09:55 AM

"My first option is going back to the Steelers, but I'm looking for a nice little check," said McFadden

Nice little check. I think we all know what that means. I have a feeling the Steelers offer won't be anywhere close to the $'s in his head.

Reminds me of the Chris Hope situation. :noidea:

PalmerSteel
02-20-2009, 10:01 AM
you guys that say they are stingy for taking MILLIONS more in another offer are crazy. these guys have short careers. gotta get paid when they can because they know 9 times out of 10, they are not gonna come close to making that for the rest of their lives. plus he already has 2 rings and its a respect thing to them "they dont think i am worth it but someone else does?" type thing. i thought bmac was our top FA priority, but if he wants top 10 CB money, then forget it. around 20th CB money, then do it. silver lining is gay came on strong last year as our insurance.

rbryan
02-20-2009, 10:05 AM
BMac is just an average CB. I don't fault him if some other team wants to pay him big $ but I won't lose any sleep over him leaving either.

stlrtruck
02-20-2009, 11:04 AM
you guys that say they are stingy for taking MILLIONS more in another offer are crazy. these guys have short careers. gotta get paid when they can because they know 9 times out of 10, they are not gonna come close to making that for the rest of their lives. plus he already has 2 rings and its a respect thing to them "they dont think i am worth it but someone else does?" type thing. i thought bmac was our top FA priority, but if he wants top 10 CB money, then forget it. around 20th CB money, then do it. silver lining is gay came on strong last year as our insurance.

I'm sorry man but for the money they make there's nothing disrespectful about being off by a "few" million dollars to play a boy's game. I understand the short career thing but damn you got a college education for a purpose and it wasn't to play football for 40 years - be smart with your money and you won't have to worry about the 3-5 million you missed by staying with a winner instead of going to a whiner!

But hey, I do agree that if their going to demand more money than they are worth - SEE YA!!!

atlsteelers
02-20-2009, 11:06 AM
See this is what I don't get. These guys get all hamstrung over a few extra million in bonus money, signing bonus, or even contract money instead of the true mark of dominance - THE LOMBARDI.

You know McFadden as good as you are, if you're more worried about padding your wallet than you are putting on the real bling then SEE YA!

do you really hear what you are saying "an extra few million"?

if we are talking tens of thousands i agree with ya. but millions? you can set yourself up and your family for life. Look at what happens when these players leave the league - ask mike webster what kind of health system and fall back program the league has for ex-players. there is study out there that shows for every three years a player plays in the nfl there life span decreases by 3 years when compared to the avg male.

look at chris hope - he made his first probowl with titans last year and he left for big money he may have missed out on the last lombardi but this is a bussinese and winning is nice but these guys are in the league to make money not life out boyhood dreams.

here is neat article on the 49ers 25 years after their superbowl title

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/21/SPG6JNM6MN1.DTL&feed=rss.news

more articles

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/29/Sports/A_huge_problem.shtml

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/26/athlete.brains/index.html

Sharkissle29
02-20-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm sorry man but for the money they make there's nothing disrespectful about being off by a "few" million dollars to play a boy's game. I understand the short career thing but damn you got a college education for a purpose and it wasn't to play football for 40 years - be smart with your money and you won't have to worry about the 3-5 million you missed by staying with a winner instead of going to a whiner!

But hey, I do agree that if their going to demand more money than they are worth - SEE YA!!!

It seems that me and you are the only ones on the same page here. Some people (if you are smart) can live with ONE MILLION dollars for their ENTIRE life if invested properly.

Things like this just make me lose respect for the players.

drizze99
02-20-2009, 12:01 PM

You're not kidding..... I was so pissed when I heard that this morning. Al Davis is an F-ing Moron!

Now BMAC is going to want his "pay day" and we won't be able to sign him. Sure Gay has played well but I wanted BMac under contract again.

Now here is something that irritates the hell out of me....

Players (in general) will go after a pay day instead of taking a little less and staying with a championship team. I just don't get it.... A lot of athletes today are just money hungry idiots. I know if I was playing, I would take less to remain with a Championship team. Seriously what the difference in a few million bucks? Once you are making 8 - 10 million pear YEAR, what does it matter? You can't possibly spend all that money.... well, provided that the person is a financially responsible person.

stlrtruck
02-20-2009, 01:24 PM
do you really hear what you are saying "an extra few million"?

if we are talking tens of thousands i agree with ya. but millions? you can set yourself up and your family for life. Look at what happens when these players leave the league - ask mike webster what kind of health system and fall back program the league has for ex-players. there is study out there that shows for every three years a player plays in the nfl there life span decreases by 3 years when compared to the avg male.

look at chris hope - he made his first probowl with titans last year and he left for big money he may have missed out on the last lombardi but this is a bussinese and winning is nice but these guys are in the league to make money not life out boyhood dreams.

here is neat article on the 49ers 25 years after their superbowl title

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/21/SPG6JNM6MN1.DTL&feed=rss.news

more articles

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/29/Sports/A_huge_problem.shtml

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/26/athlete.brains/index.html

I know the players have problems and if they act wisely with their money or not, it won't take away the pains. But the glory of those years of winning Super Bowls will last forever. While I feel empathy for the players whose lives are screwed up because of all the past injuries, they still got paid millions to play a boys game. So what I should feel extra sorry for them because their eye twitches every now and again or maybe they need the help of a table or something to stand up. Why? That's their unions fault for not having enough foresight to think about those things - again something they had a voice in.

But I digress, if their goal is for the money then jump from team to team and they'll soon be forgotten. It's the glory of the lombardi that the fans remember - and occassionally players will be remembered for being a greedy SOB and screwed up the team roster over a few million dollars that had they invested wisely could have double or tripled what they didn't get in a contract!

Regardless of the league - this game will always be a boy's game and for the players that say, "They love this game", I say, "Prove it!" And by jumping for the extra money they prove it alright - they prove that they don't love the game, they love the money!

stlrtruck
02-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Things like this just make me lose respect for the players.

:iagree:

atlsteelers
02-20-2009, 04:20 PM
I know the players have problems and if they act wisely with their money or not, it won't take away the pains. But the glory of those years of winning Super Bowls will last forever. While I feel empathy for the players whose lives are screwed up because of all the past injuries, they still got paid millions to play a boys game. So what I should feel extra sorry for them because their eye twitches every now and again or maybe they need the help of a table or something to stand up. Why? That's their unions fault for not having enough foresight to think about those things - again something they had a voice in.

But I digress, if their goal is for the money then jump from team to team and they'll soon be forgotten. It's the glory of the lombardi that the fans remember - and occassionally players will be remembered for being a greedy SOB and screwed up the team roster over a few million dollars that had they invested wisely could have double or tripled what they didn't get in a contract!

Regardless of the league - this game will always be a boy's game and for the players that say, "They love this game", I say, "Prove it!" And by jumping for the extra money they prove it alright - they prove that they don't love the game, they love the money!

this is why you cheer for the black and gold not the individual players - players leave via free agency or they get cut but we will always be there to watch the games.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-20-2009, 04:25 PM
They better not over pay for mcfadden. Starks is already over paid and I hope they dont get all sentimental on trying to keep players here.
Move Gay in, bring in a patch that gets cut by another team for a couple years till we can draft someone. But we need to draft Olineman in this draft we cant keep ignoring that position, or we are going to have to sign another QB to take the place of the late Big Ben, lol.
I would equally try to move next years 1 to get another 1st round lineman if its that deep.

Steelcitygal87
02-20-2009, 04:28 PM
You're not kidding..... I was so pissed when I heard that this morning. Al Davis is an F-ing Moron!

Now BMAC is going to want his "pay day" and we won't be able to sign him. Sure Gay has played well but I wanted BMac under contract again.

Now here is something that irritates the hell out of me....

Players (in general) will go after a pay day instead of taking a little less and staying with a championship team. I just don't get it.... A lot of athletes today are just money hungry idiots. I know if I was playing, I would take less to remain with a Championship team. Seriously what the difference in a few million bucks? Once you are making 8 - 10 million pear YEAR, what does it matter? You can't possibly spend all that money.... well, provided that the person is a financially responsible person.

Great post! :drink: . One player that comes to mind is Faneca. He knew his chances of reaching another super bowl were MUCH better with the Steelers than with the Jets...but what did he do.....went where the $$$$$ was. Where was he this Feb? Sitting on his couch watching the team he used to play for just a year ago, win their 6th super bowl.

Sharkissle29
02-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Great post! :drink: . One player that comes to mind is Faneca. He knew his chances of reaching another super bowl were MUCH better with the Steelers than with the Jets...but what did he do.....went where the $$$$$ was. Where was he this Feb? Sitting on his couch watching the team he used to play for just a year ago, win their 6th super bowl.

And i hope that ate at him a bit....:laughing:

lilyoder6
02-20-2009, 04:41 PM
i can see both ways.. if u are a older player and leave for some lil extra cash, then thats stupid b/c u have alrdy made a ton previus for some team giving u so much money so y not stay and be on a winner.. but if u were a younger guy and was making lil and evrything else.. i can see them leave for more money

Steelcitygal87
02-20-2009, 05:00 PM
And i hope that ate at him a bit....:laughing:

I am sure it had to lol

AllD
02-20-2009, 05:10 PM
South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Local star Bryant McFadden should hit free agency: Dolphins interested?
Omar Kelly

1:03 PM EST, February 19, 2009

Winning an NFL championship just doesn't breed envy. It also fuels coveting from other NFL teams.

That's the situation the Steelers are presently facing heading into free agency, and McArthur High product Bryant McFadden could be positively impacted by his team's success. At least his wallet could.

The cornerback's services will be in demand when/if he hits the open market, and there is concern in Pittsburgh that his salary requests could put him in another jersey next season.

If a deal isn't struck by Feb. 27, McFadden will be free to field offers from the rest of the NFL, and the Dolphins could be interested in bringing this South Floridian home.

"My first option is going back to the Steelers, but I'm looking for a nice little check," said McFadden, a former Florida State standout who was selected in the second-round of the 2005 draft.

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers director of football operations said the team's still talking to their 18 free agents, which includes their top four offensive linemen, hammering out more details in the negotiations. Pittsburgh is roughly $18 million under the 2009 salary cap.

Colbert admitted Pittsburgh's top priority is re-working James Harrison's contract, ensuring that the 2008 Defensive Player of the Year finishes his career in Pittsburgh. Addressing the offensive linemen comes next.

But where does that leave McFadden, who has started 18 games over the past four seasons, averaging 34 tackles per year, and intercepting seven passes in his career?

"He is a priority, but we're not going to be able to keep this whole team together. We will continue to negotiate with all our free agents, and what comes together comes together," Colbert said.

"It only takes one team to accelerate the price. It doesn't take a great market [at the position]," Colbert said. "But if one team has a sincere interest and you're not able to match that you're probably going to lose that player."

Copyright 2009, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

McArthur is lterally 20 minutes from either the practice facility or Joe Robbie Stadium, I mean er, Dolphin Stadium. I think he lives in Miami now which is still about 30-40 minutes from practice and about 25 minutes from the stadium. It's in the 60s now, so it might be pretty good for him if they want to pay. Would hate to lose a good player though.

Steelers & I
02-20-2009, 05:34 PM
It looks as if the Steelers should keep scouting the Canadian Football League. Are there any decent Cornerbacks up north? CFL=Steelers farm league. Who knows, they may be on to something. I don't watch enough CFL to have any clue about the type of talent there is up there. :noidea:

Dino 6 Rings
02-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Thank you B-Mac for knocking the ball down against the Colts in 05. I appreciate you efforts in that game and the years of solid play you've given us.

Sorry to see you go, but THIS Machine Will Keep Winning.

Think about that while you're counting your change.

Steelcitygal87
02-20-2009, 06:20 PM
It looks as if the Steelers should keep scouting the Canadian Football League. Are there any decent Cornerbacks up north? CFL=Steelers farm league. Who knows, they may be on to something. I don't watch enough CFL to have any clue about the type of talent there is up there. :noidea:

Calgary's All Star CB Brandon Browner would have been a great pick up...but he just signed an extension with the team. Calgary Stampede won the Grey Cup this past year.

Mark Estelle would have been another great one(actually the best of the free agent market), but he just resigned with the Montreal Alouettes. So the 2 best(imo) in the CFL are not available.

Guess we can't go to our neighbors to the north to help us out.

tyler289
02-20-2009, 06:45 PM
If we re-sign him, great.

If we can't meet his demands, then I'm sure we'll draft someone to fit in behind Ike/Gay/Townsend.

McFadden has been good for us but he is replaceable. As long as he doesn't go to one of our rivals. Miami would be ok.

lilyoder6
02-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Thank you B-Mac for knocking the ball down against the Colts in 05. I appreciate you efforts in that game and the years of solid play you've given us.

Sorry to see you go, but THIS Machine Will Keep Winning.

Think about that while you're counting your change.

i would think that in the back of his mind. he knows he has a great chance of winning another SB with the steelers... 2 in 5 yrs is real good.. and this team is in the hunt evry yr

PalmerSteel
02-21-2009, 02:20 AM
i can see both ways.. if u are a older player and leave for some lil extra cash, then thats stupid b/c u have alrdy made a ton previus for some team giving u so much money so y not stay and be on a winner.. but if u were a younger guy and was making lil and evrything else.. i can see them leave for more money

bingo. you hit the nail right on the head. bmac is young. the 2nd contract is 9 times out of 10 their biggest money contract and they all know it. could he live off of a few million less? of course but how can you blame him! i mean damn, anyone could live off of 1 million for life if needed but get it while the gettin's good. if someone offers him a huge contract, he will take it, then after 5 years of being overpaid and no more rings, he will come back to us for the black-n-gold discount for more hardware :tt02:

Stlrs4Life
02-21-2009, 03:10 PM
I'd hate to lose McFadden, but we have lost bigger FA's in the past.

markymarc
02-22-2009, 12:04 AM
I would really hate to lose McFadden, but unfortunately he is going to cash in for the big paycheck and we won't be signing them next season. I just hate seeing McFadden develop along very nicely and then lose him when he is getting ready to hit his "prime" years. I have complete confidence in William Gay replacing McFadden, but Townsend isn't getting younger and we won't have the depth like last season. CB could now become a big priority in FA and the draft.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-22-2009, 12:25 AM
Well look at it this way, Do you think that Gay can step up and play for the number 1 defense?

Our CB line up in the future would look like Ike Taylor, William Gay, Draft a rookie
Or paying McFadden , it would look like Ike Taylor , William Gay, and McFadden
I dont mention townsend because he is a FA in 2010 and i think he will walk after that.

Our WR line up in the future could look like Santonio Holmes, Limas Sweed, draft a rookie
Or pay Washinton and it would look like Santonio Holmes, Limas Sweed, and Nate Washington.
I dont mention Hines because hes a FA in 2010 and he might possibly walk. I mean 2 SB rings and bang up all the time, i mean i wouldn't blame him.

So you need to ask yourself , do you want to keep the number 1 defense intact or the number 22 offense?

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-22-2009, 12:26 AM
Not to mention Miller is a must have! Im thinking that washington is going to be the odd man out. Unless he gives us a hometown discount.

markymarc
02-22-2009, 01:02 AM
I still think Roy Lewis can play at this level. I am excited to see what he brings to the team this off season.

Jaquila
02-22-2009, 07:49 AM
sucks to lose B'mac but then again we all know that the Steelers know how to replace a talent with a talent so if the Steelers office decides to let him I believe it was the right descission.
There are other players who are more important than B'mac we have to worry about, and W.Gay had a fantastic season in my eyes and i think he can step it up:thumbsup:

Steelers & I
02-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Not to mention Miller is a must have! Im thinking that washington is going to be the odd man out. Unless he gives us a hometown discount.

Miller is definitely a must have. As for Washington, he should give the Steelers a discount. I mean it was like 4 years ago when Washington was just another undrafted WR out of "Tiny Tiffin College" located somewhere in Ohio. I believe they're a Division III school. Hell he was happy just to be on an NFL practice squad.
I don't know, Washington hasn't shown enough to be deserving of premium NFL WR money.

lilyoder6
02-22-2009, 10:30 AM
i don't think that washington has showed enough to be paid big bucks.. i'm guessing there is a set limit for him alrdy in place and if he exceeds that then he be gone... mcfadden will be a go big or go home type situation...

i aslo do beleive that roy lewis can play.. and i think that ryan mundy can play as well being the back up to either troy or ryan for now

tube517
02-23-2009, 03:21 AM
Don't worry. Haynesworth will make more when it's all said and done. I agree that Davis hurt the market as a whole by pissing his money away but I still don't think that Bmac is considered a "shutdown" CB and he might find the market a little softer than he expects. I just hope his agent has enough sense to explain to him that there is also value (endorsements, etc.) in playing for a contender.

His agent is Drew Rosenhaus