PDA

View Full Version : Washington

kingkulsteel
02-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Ok so I heard this steeler fan call sirius radio today and said he hoped the steelers franchised Nate. Now I would love to keep but I would never want to pay top 5 money to keep we can always find a guy to be the 3rd man.

KeiselPower99
02-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Nate is nowhere near worth that kind of cash.

BlastFurnace
02-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Ok so I heard this steeler fan call sirius radio today and said he hoped the steelers franchised Nate. Now I would love to keep but I would never want to pay top 5 money to keep we can always find a guy to be the 3rd man.

Was the called named "Nate from Tiffin"?

NJarhead
02-19-2009, 07:19 PM
I think Leftwich had a better chance of being franchised than Nate. :chuckle:

OX1947
02-20-2009, 01:13 AM
Nate is gone. Steelers need to develop Sweed and get Holmes ready to take over the #1 spot. I say Ward plays 3 more years and retires. Takes a year off and becomes the Steelers receivers coach.

MasterOfPuppets
02-20-2009, 01:56 AM
yeah i'm sure the steelers were thinking hard about giving nate 9.8 million to catch 40 passes...:coffee:

Galax Steeler
02-20-2009, 03:37 AM
yeah i'm sure the steelers were thinking hard about giving nate 9.8 million to catch 40 passes...:coffee:

I wouldn't want to pay someone that kind of money for fourty or so catches.:chuckle:

steelerdave1969
02-20-2009, 04:56 AM
There at one point in this past season Nate was one of Ben's favorite target for the Big Play. I just wonder what happened in that deal? I also think that Santonio Holmes is gonna be our no.1 reciever this upcoming season and the future is brite for him. I think that Ward of course has had a great career, but it is time for him to take the no.2 spot and keep this team where it is right now.... at the Top

Buzz05
02-20-2009, 06:46 AM
I think Leftwich had a better chance of being franchised than Nate. :chuckle:

Well yeah. I mean everyone knows Leftwich is a better QB then Ben! :rofl:

PalmerSteel
02-20-2009, 09:07 AM
i would be completely shocked if we are able to re-sign washington. someone is gonna throw big time money at him to be a starter, along with his super bowl experience.

rbryan
02-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Another player I won't won't lose any sleep over when he signs for big $ with (insert dumbazz org here)

NEPAsteeler
02-20-2009, 09:13 AM
He's a good 3rd WR for us, but if he has a chance to start or be the 2nd WR somewhere else then best of luck to him.

GeneralRobinson
02-20-2009, 03:16 PM
I think that Washington should not be resigned with the intent to developing Sweed. The risk is that if Sweed does not develop according to plan in 2009, the current alternatives are Dallas Baker and Brandon Williams. While lower on the priority list, we need to add depth to the WR position this offseason.

GodofGridiron
02-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Nate is as good as gone !!! He has two rings already in 4 NFL seasons. He's won at this level, so the only thing left is to make some serious bread. And he will get his bread. It just wont be from the Sixburgh Steelers.

lilyoder6
02-21-2009, 11:46 AM
i wonder who is rly interested in washington... it's not like i have heard anything...

steelerbackr4life
02-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Nate would be a quality pick up for anyone in the market for a good wide out.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-21-2009, 11:55 AM
i wonder who is rly interested in washington... it's not like i have heard anything...

I have heard on Chicago Sports...that the Bears will probably bring him in for a workout.

At this point...and I am not kidding...he would be the best WR on that team.

T Bradshaw
02-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Nate is not a starter in this league
dumb as s drops too many passes

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-21-2009, 12:28 PM
He Is Ok But A Starter Ha Ha!

Fire Haley
02-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Free agent WR's are a dime a dozen

2009 Free Agent Rankings

WR 1 T.J. Houshmandzadeh UFA 8 6-1/199 Oregon State Cincinnati
WR 2 Antonio Bryant Fran. 6 6-1/205 Pittsburgh Tampa Bay
WR 3 Jerry Porter UFA 9 6-2/220 West Virginia Jacksonville
WR 4 Lance Moore RFA 3 5-9/177 Toledo New Orleans
WR 5 Reggie Williams UFA 5 6-4/214 Washington Jacksonville
WR 6 Amani Toomer UFA 13 6-3/202 Michigan NY Giants
WR 7 Bryant Johnson UFA 6 6-3/211 Penn State San Francisco
WR 8 Ronald Curry UFA 7 6-2/210 North Carolina Oakland
WR 9 Bobby Engram UFA 13 5-10/188 Penn State Seattle
WR 10 Devery Henderson UFA 5 5-11/200 LSU New Orleans
WR 11 Hank Baskett RFA 3 6-3/224 New Mexico Philadelphia
WR 12 Nate Washington UFA 4 6-1/185 Tiffin Pittsburgh
WR 13 Malcom Floyd RFA 3 6-4.5/215 Wyoming San Diego
WR 14 Jabar Gaffney UFA 7 6-1/192 Florida New England
WR 15 Mike Furrey UFA 6 6-1/185 Northern Iowa Detroit
WR 16 Michael Clayton UFA 5 6-4/215 LSU Tampa Bay
WR 17 Demetrius Williams RFA 3 6-2/198 Oregon Baltimore
WR 18 David Patten UFA 12 5-10/190 Western Carolina New Orleans
WR 19 Marty Booker UFA 10 6-0/210 ULM Chicago
WR 20 Brandon Jones UFA 4 6-1/212 Oklahoma Tennessee
WR 21 Shaun McDonald UFA 6 5-10/183 Arizona State Detroit
WR 22 Koren Robinson UFA 8 6-1/205 North Carolina State Seattle
WR 23 Ashley Lelie UFA 7 6-3/195 Hawaii Oakland
WR 24 Darrell Jackson UFA 9 5-11/210 Florida Denver
WR 25 David Anderson RFA 3 5-10/194 Colorado State Houston
WR 26 Keary Colbert UFA 5 6-1/205 USC Denver
WR 27 Justin McCareins UFA 8 6-2/215 Northern Illinois Tennessee
WR 28 Drew Carter UFA 5 6-3/200 Ohio State Oakland
WR 29 Brandon Lloyd UFA 6 6-0/200 Illinois Chicago
WR 30 Ruvell Martin RFA 4 6-4/217 Saginaw Valley State Green Bay
WR 31 Kelley Washington UFA 6 6-3/218 Tennessee New England
WR 32 Robert Ferguson UFA 8 6-0/210 Texas A&M Minnesota
WR 33 Miles Austin RFA 3 6-3/215 Monmouth (NJ) Dallas

LukesDad88
02-21-2009, 02:05 PM
There at one point in this past season Nate was one of Ben's favorite target for the Big Play. I just wonder what happened in that deal? I also think that Santonio Holmes is gonna be our no.1 reciever this upcoming season and the future is brite for him. I think that Ward of course has had a great career, but it is time for him to take the no.2 spot and keep this team where it is right now.... at the Top

Why is everybody drooling all over Holmes, now? The guy's been average as a #2 in the league. He had a good playoff run, but his impact against the Chargers came as a Punt Returner, and his success in the SB came primarily because DRC was playing eight yards off, allowing good pickups on those "screens", and because Francisco (a below average DB) bit on the pump by Ben in that last drive.

OK, ther was "The Catch" but for every great catch he makes, there's two or three he should have had that he's dropped. In the meantime, Ward is coming off his best year since 04. Ward's still the best receiver we have.

lilyoder6
02-21-2009, 02:08 PM
I have heard on Chicago Sports...that the Bears will probably bring him in for a workout.

At this point...and I am not kidding...he would be the best WR on that team.

thank u llt

and the bears prob wouldn't know what to do with him.. prob had no 1 close to what nate has... and nate is a #3 wr..

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Why is everybody drooling all over Holmes, now? The guy's been average as a #2 in the league. He had a good playoff run, but his impact against the Chargers came as a Punt Returner, and his success in the SB came primarily because DRC was playing eight yards off, allowing good pickups on those "screens", and because Francisco (a below average DB) bit on the pump by Ben in that last drive.

OK, ther was "The Catch" but for every great catch he makes, there's two or three he should have had that he's dropped. In the meantime, Ward is coming off his best year since 04. Ward's still the best receiver we have.

Holmes will take over at number one. You can't deny his post season performance this year. I'm not saying that he is going to take over next year, but you cane blame people for "drolling" when holmes shows everyone what he can do when he plays 100%. Which is pretty damn good. Since you are nit picking plays form the superbowl, how about that catch Holmes made on 3rd in long in our own endzone that got brought back because of a "holding". Perfect coverage there and he still manage to catch it behind his body as he was leaping forward.

Plus our O-line and lack of running game can take part of the blame of the passing and receiving stats.

St33lersguy
02-21-2009, 08:36 PM
I wouldn't want to pay someone that kind of money for fourty or so catches.:chuckle:

Nor his countless number of dropped passes

devilsdancefloor
02-21-2009, 08:44 PM

so it was not that Holmes did anything it was "the other people" in those situations :rolleyes:

lilyoder6
02-21-2009, 10:01 PM
the only thing is for nate 2 test the market and see what interest he can get... maybe if there is not much interest and what not.. he could think bout just re-signing and knowing he has a chance evry yr

CPanther95
02-21-2009, 10:05 PM

Like Ben, he was clutch when it mattered most. He was flawless catching on that last drive - with great YAC.

He was also clutch on what I think was an even more impressive catch than "The Catch" - on the 3rd down play that turned out to be a Safety. That ball was down at his hip by the time he turned to look at the ball and still pulled it in.

LukesDad88
02-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Heck, I'll do you guys one better. That clutch catch he made on 3rd and six on the last drive was as big of a catch as any in the game, and if you watch it on replay was as tough of a one as he made all night with the exception of the TD. Still doesn't change the fact that the entire season he produced one 100 yard game. He came up big for us in the playoffs and Superbowl when Ward was hurt. Great. Glad to see it. Let's look at who else has come up big in the playoffs and SB's in the past. Remember Larry Brown? Deion Branch? What's David Tyree up to these days? Is Celek from Philadelphia the next Tony Gonzalez? Remember Hakim, the #3 receiver from the Rams? He was more productive than Holt and Bruce both in the 01 Superbowl. I don't recall him supplanting either of those guys in 02.

It's what happens in the playoffs. Number two's and backups come to the forefront. He did and did well. Hopefully, he's turning a corner. But to make a judgement on it after three playoff games (only one of which was exceptional from a receiving standpoint) is absurd. To state Ward isn't what he used to be when he just had his best season since 04 is absurd. Hopefully, the success he had this postseason doesn't cause his ego to explode, he keeps it all under control and he improves next year and does eventually supplant Ward. I honestly hope so. But I do doubt it.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Still doesn't change the fact that the entire season he produced one 100 yard game. .

Hard for receiver stats to look good when your QB gets sacked 46 times. Lets hope Alex Mack can fix that for us . BTW anyone know if he has any experience in at Gaurd?

fansince'76
02-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Heck, I'll do you guys one better. That clutch catch he made on 3rd and six on the last drive was as big of a catch as any in the game, and if you watch it on replay was as tough of a one as he made all night with the exception of the TD. Still doesn't change the fact that the entire season he produced one 100 yard game. He came up big for us in the playoffs and Superbowl when Ward was hurt. Great. Glad to see it. Let's look at who else has come up big in the playoffs and SB's in the past. Remember Larry Brown? Deion Branch? What's David Tyree up to these days? Is Celek from Philadelphia the next Tony Gonzalez? Remember Hakim, the #3 receiver from the Rams? He was more productive than Holt and Bruce both in the 01 Superbowl. I don't recall him supplanting either of those guys in 02.

It's what happens in the playoffs. Number two's and backups come to the forefront. He did and did well. Hopefully, he's turning a corner. But to make a judgement on it after three playoff games (only one of which was exceptional from a receiving standpoint) is absurd. To state Ward isn't what he used to be when he just had his best season since 04 is absurd. Hopefully, the success he had this postseason doesn't cause his ego to explode, he keeps it all under control and he improves next year and does eventually supplant Ward. I honestly hope so. But I do doubt it.

I have to say I agree that Ward is still our best WR overall, but I too hope to see Santo supplant him next year as our #1. This past season was his 3rd in the league, which is historically when WRs "break out," if they're going to "break out" at all. During the regular season this did not happen, unfortunately. Our passing game as a whole wasn't extremely productive overall this season, but Santo did drop a lot of passes he should have held onto. However, he did come up big and raised his level of play in the postseason, so personally, I'm going to give him a mulligan for this year. He also needs to continue to keep his nose clean off the field.

markymarc
02-22-2009, 12:00 AM
I would really like to keep Washington for #3 WR money. If he wants more money let him go to another team. Then let's Sweed can and will do as our #3 WR.

LukesDad88
02-22-2009, 01:04 AM
Very interesting stats. This site breaks down each and every play of every game, by position. For receivers, they'll calculate the number of times you're thrown to, catch percentages, quality of defensive backs you're up against, situations (down & distance), etc...

Acoording to their rankings, Ward was 7th in the league last year, Washington was 50th, and Holmes was 59th in DYAR. Holmes had an under 50% catch rate, while Washington was at 51%, and Ward 65%.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Mags87
02-22-2009, 02:04 AM
i think that Holmes is what this team needs. lookin back on this whole season, who cares if he put up one 100 yard game. all the time we are talking about how Ben isnt a stats qb, hes a winning qb. Holmes is the same thing. he delivers when it counts. i love Ward, but he has to leave some day. lets hope that Holmes can fill his void. and when it comes to Washington, he's a big play guy. but from what i have seen in Sweed, he can get open. and as soon as he learns to hang on to the ball...god help the AFC North:tt03:

SunshineMan21
02-22-2009, 02:16 AM
Very interesting stats. This site breaks down each and every play of every game, by position. For receivers, they'll calculate the number of times you're thrown to, catch percentages, quality of defensive backs you're up against, situations (down & distance), etc...

Acoording to their rankings, Ward was 7th in the league last year, Washington was 50th, and Holmes was 59th in DYAR. Holmes had an under 50% catch rate, while Washington was at 51%, and Ward 65%.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Very good site--although DYAR isn't really intended to be an end-all-be-all of receiver performance, it is somewhat interesting to note catch rates. Ward is still the same steady possession receiver, while Nate and Santo occasionally have the dropsies (but also get targeted on longer passes). FO also once said that "if Heath Miller has targeted more, he might be the best TE in the AFC."

One other point--Santonio was, schematically, our #1 WR last year, and it's one of the big reasons his numbers took a hit. Ward often plays out of the slot even though he's the "emotional" #1 and probably still the best receiver, while Nate often lined up wide instead of in the slot.

Santonio would benefit from another WR deep threat, but we have much higher priorities--I think while Sweed has had speed bumps he'll be able to fill Nate's roles as a decent deep threat. Washington will get paid because only one team can nab Housh (and after Bryant the pickings will start to get slim fast for WR-hungry teams), but we would do better to spend our money on retaining B-Mac or investing in a few Mewelde Moore/Sean McHugh types of guys.

KeiselPower99
02-25-2009, 09:32 AM
Just read on examiner.com that the top 3 teams for Nate are Titans Eagles and Browns. He has family in Tennessee and grew up outside of Cleveland so that would be his top choices. Interesting.

Jackal
02-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Just read on examiner.com that the top 3 teams for Nate are Titans Eagles and Browns. He has family in Tennessee and grew up outside of Cleveland so that would be his top choices. Interesting.

Although I'd never put too much stock in anything The Examiner reports, I will say that if Nate wants to jump ship for one of those teams, and assumedly much more money, that he shouldn't let the door hit him on the ass on the way out. I like Washington, but with the way Holmes turned it on late in the season and with the potential Sweed has displayed this year (despite some rookie dumb-assery), I am confident that we will be just fine without paying beaucoup bucks for a #3 receiver.

See: Antwaan Randle El