PDA

View Full Version : Franco Harris or Jerome Bettis?

TasmanianTroy271
01-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Who would you rather have in your backfield? Jerome or Franco? Personally, I'd rather have Jerome. I mean, he rumbled off 1,000 yard seasons whenever we had lackluster O-Lines, and Franco was always running behind Bleier, Webster, and a great O-Line. It may also be that I never really watched Franco run, and I grew up with The BUs, but thats just my opinion, what about you guys?

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Well, they were different type style backs. Franco had some nice moves when the situation was called upon but he would normally run out of bounds while picking up yardage. He hardly ever would take the big hit in order to pick up those extra yards. While I don't blame him for this, it's the total opposite of what Jerome has done in his years in the NFL.

Jerome simply ran over guys while picking up yardage. It's hard to compare the two. Franco has the rings and he was a good back. There is no denying that. But I guess If I had to make a decision, I would have to go with the Bus for reasons that you already stated. Franco having the enormous amount of talent surrounding him surely helped him establish himself in the NFL and in Steeler history. While Jerome has played on some good Steeler teams, no team in NFL history can compare to the Steeler teams of the 70's IMO.

clevestinks
01-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Jerome has also had the benefit of some pretty damn good Olinemen. Faneca is still mentioned among the best. Dermontti Dawson, was probably as good as Webster.We had three O-linemen in the Pro Bowl last season alone.
We are fortunate that both were CLASS ACTS! No arguement there. Franco was born here, raised here, drafted here, and help bring FOUR Rings here. You still see him sitting behind homeplate in his season tickets at PNC Park.

Suitanim
01-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Franco was a badass early on, and only started running out of bounds much later in his career. He also had a great explanation for it when asked why he did it...he said "I practice every day against Jack Lambert, so i get to take it easy in the games".

I love the Bus, but I take Franco every single time.

pitt
01-05-2006, 03:09 PM
I'd rather have Jerome. Franco was great but Jerome is the greatest!

Prosdo
01-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Unfortunately I wasn't alive when Franco was playing. From all the clips and highlights I have seen he was an amazing back. But I have to go with Bettis. When Jerome is in the game I know he will get it done.

MichiSteeler
01-05-2006, 03:20 PM
I too wasnt old enough to see Franco, but I know he was a great back. However, I still would take the Bus.

clevestinks
01-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Don`t forget the "Immaculate Reception" He started our playoff run!

tony hipchest
01-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Franco was a badass early on, and only started running out of bounds much later in his career. He also had a great explanation for it when asked why he did it...he said "I practice every day against Jack Lambert, so i get to take it easy in the games".

I love the Bus, but I take Franco every single time.

thats funny, actually having it easier on gameday than in practices. shows how tough that defense really was!

JustaFan
01-05-2006, 04:20 PM
This is a tough choice. Having been able to see both play, I'd have to pick The Bus. I don't have the numbers to back this up but Bettis seams faster than Franco once he gets going & is a much more physical style of a runner. Franco had some great moves but the Bus can also bounce in & out of traffic pretty good too. What a great history for the Steelers to have had both of them.

augustashark
01-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Jerome!

Avg size of a D player in 1975 is no where close to where it is today. Franco was one great rb but if he had to run against players like Hampton, Krikland I don't think he would have had the numbers he did....Hell some of the db's today are as big as the lbs of yesteryear. IMO

ndifference
01-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Technically, Franco was a fullback. So why not have both?

Brady12
01-05-2006, 05:06 PM
I don't know who Franco Harris is, so I went with Jerome Bettis. It's either I didn't know who he is, or he played before I was born..

augustashark
01-05-2006, 05:11 PM
I don't know who Franco Harris is, so I went with Jerome Bettis. It's either I didn't know who he is, or he played before I was born..

:laughing: Good one. Hey can I go outside the box and vote for Craig James!

tony hipchest
01-05-2006, 06:21 PM
:laughing: Good one. Hey can I go outside the box and vote for Craig James!lol!

brady12 that is sacrilige to say that on this board. before emmitt smith came along franco had almost every sb rushing record. i think until like 1990's he was top 5 or so in rushing yards of all time. now i think hes around 12th all time.

the immaculate reception??????

3 to be 4
01-05-2006, 06:23 PM
ahhh youth.
i may be a Patriots fan but i was alive in the 70's and i admred that Steeler team greatly.
Ward is no Stallworth or Swann and im sorry but Bettis was no Franco Harris.
What made Franco great was that he played his greatest in the biggest games. To me, Harris is the most underated RB in NFL history as nobody ever mentions him. But i remember when he came up in 1972 the comparisons to Jim Brown. JUst watch a tape of SB 9. the guy was a horse, could turn the corner and like i said came up big when it mattered most.

LambertIsGod58
01-05-2006, 07:44 PM
I would take Harris....For the same reason as 3 to be 4. I do think Harris had a much better line than the one Bettis has had over the years.

clevestinks
01-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Not much Love for Franco? Must be because the average age of the posters is probably 25 or less

LambertIsGod58
01-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Exactly right Cleve....The age seems to determine the vote on this one.

ngreene15
01-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Not much Love for Franco? Must be because the average age of the posters is probably 25 or less

But still who hasn't heard of Franco Harris and the immaculate reception who is a NFL fan.

SteelerzGirl
01-05-2006, 09:36 PM
I'm not voting simply because I think both Franco and Jerome were/are both terrific in their own times in NFL/Steelers history. I will not choose! They both ROCK in my book! So there! :blurp:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Both.. I want Both of them..

Now THAT would be a backfield that would be unstoppable. !! :tt:

VegasStlrFan
01-06-2006, 12:39 AM
I watched them both, and I gotta go with Jerome. The are both class acts and Franco was a big gamer, but Jerome seems to give all he's got every play.

I remember the first time I saw Jerome run, He was in college and scored a touchdown from about 15yds out. No big deal except he bounced off of 5 or 6 defenders and landed in the end zone flat on his back out cold. I thought this guy is got the heart of a lion. If there is one guy on the field you know is giving you all he's got, its him!

clevestinks
01-06-2006, 05:45 AM
I`m not sure that there is a wrong answer here! But Franco is being giving enough credit!

Maybe I will start a
Franco Harris or Merril Hoge Thread that way I can get Franco his Props! LOL

SteelerFanInATL
01-06-2006, 10:12 AM
I had the chance to watch Franco play and I would definately take Jerome. Franco ran out of bounds. Jerome plays like a Steeler. He will challenge you head on and dare you to try to stop him with a little bit of shake and bake added in.