PDA

View Full Version : The Time Has Come

steelerdave1969
02-20-2009, 05:00 AM
I really believe that it is the time of his career that Santonio Holmes takes his game to the ulitmate level and take over the no.1 role for the Steelers at WR. Hines Ward should be ready to take the no.2 spot and run with it for the teams future depends on it. I think that Holmes proved during the Super Bowl that he deserves the chance to be that for the Steelers.
These are just my opinions, but I think its time for the Steelers to make the move and let Hines be our possession reciever that he really is today Pittsburgh.

MasterOfPuppets
02-20-2009, 05:15 AM
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6375/big2794250sm5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

HometownGal
02-20-2009, 06:27 AM
http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/255/PreviewComp/SuperStock_255-3753.jpg

stlrtruck
02-20-2009, 08:23 AM
I'd have to disagree at this point. I think Hines Ward is best used in that #1 spot. Not just for route running purposes but also for blocking down field.

Holmes is better used in the slot where he can run the quick slant and make him more of a threat.

However, when it comes to targets, I think you've already seen the future. Ben targets Holmes more. It's going to be interesting to see what Ward does at the end of this contract. Will he retire? Will he take a cut in pay as well as a deminished role?

I do believe that Holmes will eventually become the #1 but he could be challenged early for the spot should Sweed be able to overcome his butterfingers!

jev7452
02-20-2009, 08:27 AM
i think everyone needs to hold on a second.. holmes is a good player who can make some GREAT catches, but is it just me or did anyone else find themselves getting repeatedly frustrated with him this season?? to me it seemed that for every good play he made, he made at least one bone-headed move.. thankfully he made that amazing catch to win the super bowl, but is everyone forgetting about the fact that he had a much easier opportunity seconds before that and blew it??? or the fact that he could have and should have been penelized for his celebration, good thing the refs had turned their backs!! i dont know, i just think he still has a lot more room for improvement and in the mean time, why fix something that isnt broken?? ward is still my guy

The_WARDen
02-20-2009, 08:28 AM
I'm for whoever gets the job done. If Holmes is the #1 guy, he will prove it on the field as will Ward.

Michael Keller
02-20-2009, 08:34 AM
I really believe that it is the time of his career that Santonio Holmes takes his game to the ulitmate level and take over the no.1 role for the Steelers at WR. Hines Ward should be ready to take the no.2 spot and run with it for the teams future depends on it. I think that Holmes proved during the Super Bowl that he deserves the chance to be that for the Steelers.
These are just my opinions, but I think its time for the Steelers to make the move and let Hines be our possession reciever that he really is today Pittsburgh.

YOU ARE 110 PERCENT CORRECT.

Ward being limited allowed Holmes to be as assertive as he was in the huddle & on the side lines during the Super Bowl .

Holmes should get betwen 60 and 80 catches per year. We all love Ward and he remains a valued player on the field and now he must step up & be an example at a different level. Holmes should take Ward's advice in general and be HUMBLE. It can be a smooth transition or it can be choppy. We have two emotional guys here but i do agree it should happen immediately.

steelpride12
02-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Holmes is getting just as much catches in the #2 slot than the #1 one. Its not about where they line up, but if they get open and make big plays. Holmes is better after the catch, but Ward is still #1 for this organization for all the hard work and effort he has put in for this team.
Ward is so clutch in big moments and has been all season long. I would never move him over wityh all the success he has season after season.

devilsdancefloor
02-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Honestly i do not see this ever happening until hines reitires. :tt03:

NEPAsteeler
02-20-2009, 09:16 AM
I personally don't think he'll completely take over as the #1 receiver until Hines Ward is gone. I still believe Hines is "our guy".

kittenfantastico76
02-20-2009, 09:34 AM
i think everyone needs to hold on a second.. holmes is a good player who can make some GREAT catches, but is it just me or did anyone else find themselves getting repeatedly frustrated with him this season?? to me it seemed that for every good play he made, he made at least one bone-headed move.. thankfully he made that amazing catch to win the super bowl, but is everyone forgetting about the fact that he had a much easier opportunity seconds before that and blew it??? or the fact that he could have and should have been penelized for his celebration, good thing the refs had turned their backs!! i dont know, i just think he still has a lot more room for improvement and in the mean time, why fix something that isnt broken?? ward is still my guy

I must have cussed Holmes a TON of times this season... I got extremely frustrated with him over and over. He redeemed himself in the Super Bowl, but I agree with you 100%. Ward is my pick as well. I think that while Holmes is showing improvement he's also showing a bit of immaturity as well... I think he needs to still learn a lot before being tossed into a #1 slot... I don't want him going all T.O. on the Steelers next season.

steelax04
02-20-2009, 09:41 AM
I think the whole "where a receiver lines up makes them the #1 or #2 guy" is bogus anyway. One is the primary look over the other, but that's about it. When the ball is thrown to either of them, they better catch it, no matter where they are lined up. Play to Ward's strengths and the same with Holmes. If he's better suited for the slot, why can't he be the "#1" primary target out of the slot? I think we have a great receiving corps (including Heath) and they are going to line up wherever they need to for making the play, not whether they're #1 or #2...

BlastFurnace
02-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Other than Ben, Hines is the most valuable player for us on offense.

Santonio is still #2.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-20-2009, 10:22 AM
I hope Santy raises his stadards of playing to how he played in the post season. If he plays like he does in the playoffs, then yes he will be our number 1 and might make a name for himself with the best around the league.

LukesDad88
02-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Three good games, guys. Fortunately, they came this post season. Until now, frankly, I've been a little dissapointed in Mr. Holmes. Not only has he been inconsistent, but he's also shown that in personality and character, he's closer to the Owens/Moss/Burress/Ocho Cinco mold than he is to the Ward/Fitzgerald type.

Let's see how he handles his success... My bet is that we'll wish we would have traded the guy now, while his stock is higher than his actual value...

Sharkissle29
02-20-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm not really sure why you guys are throwing holmes under the bus, saying he's closer to an owens/moss??? why because he likes to celebrate a little?

LukesDad88
02-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Take the playoffs out of the mix. The guy had 821 yards on 55 catches. In nine of the sixteen games this season, he had three or fewer catches, and no games with 100 yards receiving until the SB. Those are hardly #1 statistics. Heck, that's barely average stats for a #2 guy. There were three #3 receivers, and eight tight ends with better numbers.

I'm glad the guy came up big for us in the SB and playoffs, but other than those three games, he's been an average to sub average receiver in the NFL, but he's always shown to have a "big receiver" ego. I'm concerned about what's going to happen with his ego, now...

stlrtruck
02-20-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm not really sure why you guys are throwing holmes under the bus, saying he's closer to an owens/moss??? why because he likes to celebrate a little?

I don't mind his celebrations and in no way do I see him as a to/moss type personality. I like how he celebrates. In my mind it's just like Hines when he gets up and does his first down chop - the only difference is holmes drops the ball to the ground.

Take the playoffs out of the mix. The guy had 821 yards on 55 catches. In nine of the sixteen games this season, he had three or fewer catches, and no games with 100 yards receiving until the SB. Those are hardly #1 statistics. Heck, that's barely average stats for a #2 guy. There were three #3 receivers, and eight tight ends with better numbers.

I'm glad the guy came up big for us in the SB and playoffs, but other than those three games, he's been an average to sub average receiver in the NFL, but he's always shown to have a "big receiver" ego. I'm concerned about what's going to happen with his ego, now...

I can understand the concern about his ego but I think with the players on the team, he'll be kept in check. At least I hope he will be. One stat I'd like to see is how dropped passes he had vs. how many he was thrown to. I believe that Holmes will continue to improve and eventually he'll become that #1 target. But I guess that's the problem with playing with the likes of Hines, Heath, Moore, and even Washington. With the talent level you're not going to shine like to/moss - you aren't going to be the target that they are either.

I'm thankful he's on the Steelers team and glad to see him come in to his own during the playoffs. However, he's definitely got some big shoes to fill as the #2 before he becomes our #1.

7SteelGal43
02-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Three reasons Holmes won't be #1 receiver on Steelers...yet. Now , it's a well thought out argument on my part and I put lots of time going over the situation and tried to spell it out completely and clearly.

1. Hines
2.Ward

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Naw Not Yet Till Hines Is Gone!

LVSteelersfan
02-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Sorry, but Holmes head isn't in the game good enough to be #1. Ben and him have to get on the same page a little better. Seems to me Holmes constantly ran the wrong route when Ben needed him to improvise. As far as I am concerned until Holmes gets CONSISTENT in every game, Hines is #1 and Heath Miller is #2. If Holmes starts concentrating and QUITS DROPPING balls right in his hands, THEN maybe I can see him as #1 DOWN THE ROAD, Hines and Heath make all of the third down critical passes because Ben doesn't seem to trust Holmes in critical situations. Either that or Holmes can't get open on critical downs. Maybe the playoffs woke up a sleeping giant in Holmes. Hopefully so.

steelreserve
02-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Who really cares which is called the #1 or #2 receiver? If the defense decides Holmes is the bigger threat, they'll defend us that way. If they still think Ward is the bigger threat, they'll guard him more closely. Either way, I expect whoever they overlook to have plenty of chances. Kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm just glad we've got two guys who are both good enough to worry people.

lilyoder6
02-20-2009, 03:24 PM
i hope his performance of this past off-season will carry over 2 the next season..