PDA

View Full Version : FA's that Fans thought the Steelers couldn't live without

BlastFurnace
02-20-2009, 12:24 PM
The only FA's that I can remember that went on to play an extended period of time at a high level was Kevin Greene, Mike Vrabel and Rod Woodson...and that was safter a subpar year in San Francisco and a change of position in Baltimore.

How about the others:

Carnell Lake - one good year in Jacksonville. Finished after that.
Yancey Thigpen - did nothing in Tennessee
Leon Searcy - a couple of good years in Jacksonville. Nothing special though.
Chad Brown - was he really a difference maker in Seattle that paid him $6 Million a year.
John Jackson - Left a void for us at LT, but he didn't play too long after he left.
Joey Porter - I know he was released and not a FA, but non-the-less, was allowed to walk. Nice year last year, but we have a better player in his old position with the Steelers.
Neil O'Donnell - I know he has his haters, but that is not what is under consideration here. He didn't do anything after he left us.
Eric Green - Out of the league within 3 years of leaving us.

There are others that have left. The point I am making is that the Steelers FO has made very...very few mistakes.

Trust the FO guys.

Edman
02-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Kevin Greene and Rod Woodson are obviously, exceptions. But the Steelers did manage to survive without them.

It's useless, BF. Despite winning the Super Bowl. the pundits and fans are going to hype up Free Agency like it means absolutely EVERYTHING. That means pumping up the teams that make "the big splash".

This is the time of year when the big splashers like Cleveland and Washington win.

atlsteelers
02-20-2009, 12:57 PM
the steelers have been very good or lucky when knowing when to let a player walk. You can not argue with thier success. I remember reading that rooney said in all of the years the one he regrets letting get away was woodson.

devilsdancefloor
02-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Hardy Nickerson & Earl Holmes are 2 that really got away from us IMHO. But you are correct the Steelers FO has made tough good decsions when it comes to personel.

but one to flop after leaving is kendrell bell!

HometownGal
02-20-2009, 01:04 PM
We could add Randle El to that list too, though he is still actively playing.

I hated losing him, as he was a very good return man (and we really haven't had anyone at his level back there since he left), but he basically has done next to nothing with the Skins.

atlsteelers
02-20-2009, 01:08 PM
We could add Randle El to that list too.

I hated losing him, as he was a very good return man, but he basically has done next to nothing with the Skins.

i keep hoping that washington has to cut him due to salary cap reasons and that we could resign him on the cheap.

slippy
02-20-2009, 01:11 PM
kendrell bell flopped HERE after his first year, then we cut him.

devilsdancefloor
02-20-2009, 01:13 PM

Very true lol but he went to KC and i thknk i never heard his name again! Is he still playing is he dead???

stlrtruck
02-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Hardy Nickerson had some great years in him when he left the Steelers and was playing in Tampa.

BlastFurnace
02-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Hardy Nickerson had some great years in him when he left the Steelers and was playing in Tampa.

The thing to keep in mind though is that we had Levon Kirkland around to take over. Hardy's loss was not a great loss. Levon was better.

Sharkissle29
02-20-2009, 01:59 PM
you're forgetting chirs hope, who now is a pro bowler...

BlastFurnace
02-20-2009, 02:10 PM

Point is, our defense didn't lose a beat without him. Clark was just as good.

Sharkissle29
02-20-2009, 02:13 PM

Very true. Just stating you cant be perfect, sometimes you have to let go of a player that you know is good and will continue to be good bc of $ situations. ex. mcfadden

BlastFurnace
02-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Very true. Just stating you cant be perfect, sometimes you have to let go of a player that you know is good and will continue to be good bc of $ situations. ex. mcfadden

I agree. I really hope we can sign McFadden, but our defense will be fine without him. I don't want BMAC at the expense of losing Heath Miller though.

HometownGal
02-20-2009, 02:27 PM
i keep hoping that washington has to cut him due to salary cap reasons and that we could resign him on the cheap.

Yep - still keeping my fingers crossed there! :hope:

NEPAsteeler
02-20-2009, 02:33 PM
I would love have Randle El back. He was a valuable player. Hell, he even threw a TD pass in the Super Bowl.

BlastFurnace
02-20-2009, 02:55 PM

They already re-did his contract to relieve their salary cap hit with him. He's signed for another 5 years with Washington now.

KeiselPower99
02-20-2009, 02:58 PM

I believe Kendrells career was good years 1 and 3. 2 and 4 were injured and replaced by Larry Foote. As for what he did in KC nothing comes to mind.

stlrtruck
02-20-2009, 03:16 PM

But is he now a pro bowler because of hist talent or because of the lack of players he's playing with so he shines a little brighter? I'm not taking anything away from Chris Hope but on the Steelers team, there were more talented players taking away from what he did on the field while those playing on lesser talented teams supposedly shined brighter than Hope. I guess what I'm saying is Hope was pro bowl material when he played with the Steelers. It's just that he was overshadowed by others.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-20-2009, 03:30 PM
I was hoping we could live without Max Starks.

He is no John Jackson, Leon Searcy, or Wayne Gandy.............IMO, he's not even Brendan Stai.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-20-2009, 03:32 PM
I guess what I'm saying is Hope was pro bowl material when he played with the Steelers. It's just that he was overshadowed by others.

Yeah, Hope was a SS playing FS because he is behind Troy. I think we will see that in Anthony Smith when he leaves. He plays the game more like a SS.

SC Gamecokk
02-20-2009, 03:40 PM
We could add Randle El to that list too, though he is still actively playing.

I hated losing him, as he was a very good return man (and we really haven't had anyone at his level back there since he left), but he basically has done next to nothing with the Skins.

the problem with randle el is that washington has absolutely no frickin' clue on how to utilize him. if he was still in pittsburgh he'd still be flourishing. oh well...he knew what he was getting into, he ran for the $ instead... :noidea:

slippy
02-20-2009, 04:41 PM
WASH even took randle el off the punt return team for awhile!

as for kendrell bell, even at his best he did not play on 3rd down because he could not understand the coverage schemes. he was a rush LB only. too bad, that 1st year was great. i think he was D rook of the year in 2001.

chucoblack&gold
02-20-2009, 05:09 PM
I agree. I really hope we can sign McFadden, but our defense will be fine without him. I don't want BMAC at the expense of losing Heath Miller though.

If that is the case, happy trails BMAC:hatsoff:, dont forget to write .....

Dino 6 Rings
02-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Alan Faneca, we can't win without him...oh wait...

How about Jerome Bettis he left us to retire, our offense is never going to win again...oh wait.

Plaxico Burress, how will we ever win without him...Oh Wait, we won 2 times without him...

Steelers & I
02-20-2009, 05:47 PM
How about this guy, Mike Merriweather. He was pretty damn good.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/bkakers/merriweather.jpg

Dino 6 Rings
02-20-2009, 05:56 PM
How about this guy, Mike Merriweather. He was pretty damn good.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/bkakers/merriweather.jpg

He was pretty darn good wasn't he. Didn't he go to the Vikings.

steeltheone
02-20-2009, 08:40 PM
El is not even close to being worth his contract, which i believe was worth more than Hines Ward's.

fansince'76
02-20-2009, 08:47 PM
El is not even close to being worth his contract, which i believe was worth more than Hines Ward's.

:iagree: What he said. I miss ARE too, but Snyder offered him crazy money and he would have been a fool to turn it down.

steeltheone
02-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Mike Merriweather could have reached Steeler elite linebacker stardom had he not sat out a whole season in a contract dispute. He was later traded to the Vikings for a 1989 first round pick. We used this pick, number 7 overall for Tim Worley ( rb ) out of Georgia. At our 24 spot we took Tom Ricketts OL out of Pitt. To make you feel better our next pick was Carnell Lake.

jev7452
02-20-2009, 09:44 PM
i'm suprised it took people until the 3rd page to bring up plaxico burress.. granted he's a good player, but im verryyyy glad the steelers werent in the situation that the giants were in this year after he shoved a bullet in his leg.. not worth the trouble

bratsinmybelly
02-20-2009, 10:23 PM
How could we forget Franco's Seattle year???

OX1947
02-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Some may laugh at this but since Free Agency started in 1993, the biggest loss that effected the team was Randle El. Folks point out two things about the 2006-07 season for the Steelers, one is Big Ben's accident and the other Cowher's effort his final year. The Steelers lost 3 games because of special team goofs that year and you could have probably said 4 or 5. Had the Steelers had a steady return guy who wasn't fumbling all over the place, the Steelers would have gone 11-5 or 12-4 that year possibly.

Other then Woodson, all the players that left before them were guys who had guys ready to take over for them or they got an amazing amount of money to leave. Either way the Steeler made good from them and still won.

drizze99
02-20-2009, 11:44 PM

Exactly. I was never a Chris Hope fan anyways so I didn't care when he left. I like Clark much better....

SteelCityMan786
02-21-2009, 12:24 AM
The only FA's that I can remember that went on to play an extended period of time at a high level was Kevin Greene, Mike Vrabel and Rod Woodson...and that was safter a subpar year in San Francisco and a change of position in Baltimore.

How about the others:

Carnell Lake - one good year in Jacksonville. Finished after that.
Yancey Thigpen - did nothing in Tennessee
Leon Searcy - a couple of good years in Jacksonville. Nothing special though.
Chad Brown - was he really a difference maker in Seattle that paid him $6 Million a year.
John Jackson - Left a void for us at LT, but he didn't play too long after he left.
Joey Porter - I know he was released and not a FA, but non-the-less, was allowed to walk. Nice year last year, but we have a better player in his old position with the Steelers.
Neil O'Donnell - I know he has his haters, but that is not what is under consideration here. He didn't do anything after he left us.
Eric Green - Out of the league within 3 years of leaving us.

There are others that have left. The point I am making is that the Steelers FO has made very...very few mistakes.

Trust the FO guys.

DON'T MENTION THE FREAKIN NAME OF NEIL EFFIN O'DONNELL!!! I can not say that name without feeling like I want to curse up a storm.

(Ends Very Brief Rant)

Steeldude
02-21-2009, 01:20 AM
Neil O'Donnell - I know he has his haters, but that is not what is under consideration here. He didn't do anything after he left us

but the person who ultimately replaced him was one of the worst QBs in NFL history.

every team survives one way or another when losing players.

MDSteel15
02-21-2009, 01:52 AM
but the person who ultimately replaced him was one of the worst QBs in NFL history.

every team survives one way or another when losing players.

Exsqueeze me! Begging powder! Not even close....

augustashark
02-21-2009, 02:37 AM
The thing to keep in mind though is that we had Levon Kirkland around to take over. Hardy's loss was not a great loss. Levon was better.

With all due respect, Krikland was not better then Nickerson. Levon was a very good LB, but Hardy was better in all aspects of the game. I'm not going to say that Hardy being here back in 95 would have won us the SB, but I just think (and I think most pundits also) Nickerson was better and had some very good years after he left.

Galax Steeler
02-21-2009, 07:10 AM
I would have to go with Rod Woodson.

BlastFurnace
02-21-2009, 07:53 AM
With all due respect, Krikland was not better then Nickerson. Levon was a very good LB, but Hardy was better in all aspects of the game. I'm not going to say that Hardy being here back in 95 would have won us the SB, but I just think (and I think most pundits also) Nickerson was better and had some very good years after he left.

I completely disagree with you....as will others on this board. Levon was the best ILB in the game for 3 or 4 years. Yes, Nickerson had some nice years after he left, but that doesn't mean he was better than Kirkland.

tube517
02-23-2009, 03:04 AM
Both were on the all 90's All Decade team.

I completely disagree with you....as will others on this board. Levon was the best ILB in the game for 3 or 4 years. Yes, Nickerson had some nice years after he left, but that doesn't mean he was better than Kirkland.

Rick5895
02-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Stewart was not the worst QB in NFL history or ours for that matter, do we forget Malone and Stoudt.
I think it's time to say bye to BMAC, William gay is ready to take over there and we still have Deshea as a Nickel. Get Harison extended and then Extend Heath.

vasteeler
02-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Stewart was not the worst QB in NFL history or ours for that matter, do we forget Malone and Stoudt.
I think it's time to say bye to BMAC, William gay is ready to take over there and we still have Deshea as a Nickel. Get Harison extended and then Extend Heath.

dont forget Bubby and kent graham:doh:

KeiselPower99
02-23-2009, 01:43 PM
How the hell did we end up with Kent Graham anyway?? There had to have been better qbs out there that year.

BlastFurnace
02-23-2009, 02:08 PM
How the hell did we end up with Kent Graham anyway?? There had to have been better qbs out there that year.

From what I remember, we brought Graham and Gus Ferrotte in for auditons. I thought Ferrotte...being a lifelong Steelers Fan...and a decent QB at the time (atleast better than Graham), was going to be the choice. For some reason, Kent "The Statue" Graham was signed instead.

I don't know who was the worst Steeler FA signing of all time, but it must come down to Kent Graham or Donnell Woolford.

drew102e
02-24-2009, 04:19 PM
or duce "inactive" staley

Indo
02-24-2009, 05:11 PM
I think signing Staley had the benefit of making Jerome step up his game. He became unbelievably reliable in the short yardage, pound the rock, game---(the wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round)

KeiselPower99
02-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Duce was lights out the first half of the 05 season. When he got hurt Jerome took over and Duce was done.

drew102e
02-25-2009, 12:59 PM
lights out...really,

i remember one or two okay games and then grey sweatsuit and dead money

paw-n-maul-u
02-25-2009, 06:12 PM
ok ... but for all these you also have your ...

Chris Hope

Kevin Greene

Mike Vrabel

Rod Woodson

... there are plenty of examples on both sides. Sure, the steelers have made some great tough decisions, but I would really hate to see a player like B-mac hit the market and go to the Patriots or worse.

paw-n-maul-u
02-25-2009, 06:14 PM
.... duce staley was averaging over 100 yards a game rushing the first 7 games ... he was running like a beast ... I'm pretty sure every good run he could have made over the whole time he was here, he crammed all into those first 7 games because after that he was a straight joke except one rogue game vs. GB where he filled in decently