PisnNapalm
02-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Hallelujah!!

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/20/emmitt-exits-espn/

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=519948
http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/1216203.html

SteelCurtain7
02-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Emmitt got blowed up by ESPN? :rofl: The man could not talk his way out of a wet paper bag...reco'nize.

Steelcitygal87
02-20-2009, 05:27 PM
THANK GOD:applaudit:! I could not stand listening to him. He yammered on and on and said basically nothing.

lilyoder6
02-20-2009, 06:35 PM
THANK GOD:applaudit:! I could not stand listening to him. He yammered on and on and said basically nothing.

just like charles barkley

MasterOfPuppets
02-20-2009, 09:03 PM
anyone who couldn't pass an english class, shouldn't be allowed to have a microphone in front of them.... and this guy has a college education ? :idea:

steelwall
02-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Listening to him talk was painful..

BIGIRON98
02-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Now we just got to get rid of 'neon deon'

And Steve Young:tt03:

bratsinmybelly
02-20-2009, 10:28 PM
I had the chance to get to know Emmit during the fall of 2006 while I was managing a Dave & Buster's in Dallas. He and his brother Emory would come in to play a horse racing game called "Derby Owners Club" on a daily basis. It was always a hassle for him because people would not leave him alone but he came anyway. I asked him once why he didn't just buy the game for his house and he said that he just enjoyed getting out in public. The day before Thanksgiving they were there from 11:00 AM until just before midnight. He said that there were about 50 people staying at his house and he didn't want to go near the place! I will never forget the way that he carried himself in public and how nice he was to the people who would relentlessly try to talk to him and how he always refused to let us try to keep them at a distance. He would buy peoples dinner sometimes and really show folks a good time. I never once saw him turn someone away for an autograph or a picture even if he was in the middle of a game.
I hate it that his personality didn't translate well to TV because he is really an intelligent, nice person who I never once saw act like the greatest statistical running back to ever play football. I hope that he takes some time to relax and enjoy life because he has certainly earned it.

OneForTheToe
02-20-2009, 10:35 PM
One down and one more to go please. Steve Young may know more vocabulary words, buy he is still a idiot.

But, alas, we won't have Emmitt to kick around anymore. Still, we have our memories.

Some samples of classic "Emmitt-ese":

He gets the ball over to their third read than most quarterback can." (Commentary: I think Emmitt forgot a word here, but at least he didn't say "He get the ball over...")

I love those style of play that the Tennessee Titans bring to the game." (Commentary: What a coincidence! I love those grammatical error that Emmitt bring to the Sunday NFL Countdown!)

"Giants has too many guys in the secondary banged up." (Commentary: Ahhh, the tricky has-have dilemma. When do you use "has?" When do you use "have?" This has puzzled writers for years.)

I'm concerned about a guy who fall down before get hits." (Commentary: And I'm concerned about a guy who speak before he conjugate his verb and puts the "s" in the wrong place, but you don't see me making a big fuss over it.)

Tom Brady is buyin' time for his lineman." (Commentary: And here I thought that offensive linemen were "buyin' time" for the quarterback.)

Alex has a lot of growing up to do, and it's hard to grow up when you are learning three different offenses every year." (Commentary: Three different offenses every year, huh? That's a lot of turnover in the Bay Area. What are they doing down there?)

Reggie Bush is definitely effective. Just not tonight." (Commentary: Emmitt said this after the Falcons-Saints Monday night game. Note to Emmitt: Bush wasn't effective... because... HE DIDN'T EVEN PLAY! No wonder he wasn't effective tonight.)

That is just a sample, go here for more.

http://www.walterfootball.com/emmitt.php

Look, I respected (and hated) Emmitt as a player. However, as insensitive as this may sound, to be in front of the camera you need some communication skills. And no, this is not a racial thing. There are plenty of African American sports announcers that are excellent analysts and communicators. Emmitt just doesn't possess that skill:coffee:

Galax Steeler
02-21-2009, 05:49 AM
Hopefully they will get someone in there that can do a better job then he did.

Steelcitygal87
02-21-2009, 06:03 AM
Hopefully they will get someone in there that can do a better job then he did.

I wish they would add Mike Golic. He is a regular on NFL Live and has a good speaking voice. Knows his stuff too....(He picked the Steelers at the beginning of the season to make it to the super bowl:tt03: ). Plus, they need some defensive player analysts on the panel(only one now is Tom Jackson). They have WRS , QBS and da coach Ditka.

Steelers & I
02-21-2009, 01:13 PM
What?? Emmitt Smiff was released. Good, I can't stand the guy. :wave: He couldn't pronounce anything that ended in "th". He also struggled in pronouncing a word with the letter "s".

My favorite Emmitt'ism was probably "Hine Ward". :toofunny:

Big D
02-22-2009, 05:08 PM
I wish they would add Mike Golic. He is a regular on NFL Live and has a good speaking voice. Knows his stuff too....(He picked the Steelers at the beginning of the season to make it to the super bowl:tt03: ). Plus, they need some defensive player analysts on the panel(only one now is Tom Jackson). They have WRS , QBS and da coach Ditka.

it's bad enough to hear that meatball on michelle and the meathead in the morning and nfl live. Keep him away from countdown

lilyoder6
02-22-2009, 06:03 PM
i would hope they can find someone who can talk and actually discuss football

vasteeler
02-23-2009, 10:55 AM
I may be the only one but I wish they would bring Mike Irving back. I thought he was great

X-Terminator
02-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Good - Mr. Speech Impediment can now go and mumble to himself in private. Proof-positive that not every ex-jock is cut out to be an analyst on TV.

Steelcitygal87
02-23-2009, 01:00 PM
i would hope they can find someone who can talk and actually discuss football

Here ya go..lol

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/firstcuts/entry/view/17397/emmitt_smith_out;_brett_favre_in_at_espn?

The nation's long nightmare of Emmitt Smith's vocabulary on ESPN is over now that his deal expired. But is anyone really ready for the possibility that Brett Favre could take Smith's place on the Worldwide Leader? USA Today has a note on the possibility:

Signing the supposedly retired Brett Favre would bring in a star. Norby Williamson, ESPN executive vice president, says ESPN hopes to meet with Favre next month: "He's a funny, dynamic guy and would add to anybody's coverage."

Call me crazy, but I've never really pictured Favre as a TV guy. On the one hand, it's clear he loves attention, but on the other, his "good ol' boy" persona just seems like it's one built to spill clichés left and right. I'd imagine that if Favre was picked up by ESPN, he'd be able to break down who's playing hard, and who is tough as nails.

In other words, he'd bring the kind of stuff to a pregame show that is nice to hear from your grandfather at Thanksgiving, but awful to hear in real analysis. But what do you think about Favre as a possible studio talking head at ESPN or anywhere for that matter?

SteelCurtain7
02-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Heaven forbid. :eek: "Well, gol-ly, I was huntin the other day on the back 40 when this here agent feller called me on that telephone thing, sayin' , "What do you think of runnin that thar telestrator?" 'I said, Yeehaw!' :rofl:

M1JAM
02-23-2009, 07:48 PM
I FOUND a Super Bowl 43 Ticket with Jack Ham's autograph after the game was over in Tampa and we were taking photos of the post game ceremony.

HometownGal
02-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Go back to dancing, Twinkletoes - you don't have to talk to dance.

The only other commentator worse than Emmitt is Shannon not-so-Sharpe.

fansince'76
02-23-2009, 08:39 PM
I FOUND a Super Bowl 43 Ticket with Jack Ham's autograph after the game was over in Tampa and we were taking photos of the post game ceremony.

Ummm....OK.... :huh:

NJarhead
02-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Hallelujah!!

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/20/emmitt-exits-espn/

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=519948
http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/1216203.html

Wow. It just hit me: This means that between he and Michael Irvin, Michael is the smart one.?.? :doh:

steelerbuckeye
02-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Wooo!

Bring back Irvin!!!

steelerdave1969
02-25-2009, 04:15 PM
I always admired Emmitt Smith as a football player, and could you not? The guy played an NFC championship game against the Packers with a Seperated Shoulder and played very well and led them to the super bowl. The guy seems to be a class act and I wish him well with whatever he does next.
The guy that I cant stand on NFL shows is the guy from Pardon The Interruption.. he knows nothing about what he is doing and he is just there to take up space and oxygen in the booth... he is a real joke in my opinion.

SteelCurtain7
02-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Which of the two clowns on PTI doesn't know what he's talking about? Both of them are as clueless as a brick.

meelanova
03-01-2009, 06:37 AM
"He got coulda gotten an extra 16-30 yards."