PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Interested In Taylor?

bratsinmybelly
02-21-2009, 02:47 AM
Peter King is high as a Georgia pine.........

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/02/17/mailbag/index.html?eref=si_writers

Now, the first question for Fred Taylor is: Why should anyone in the NFL take a chance on you? Taylor's 33 years old, which is the age running backs often are in their third year of retirement. Or fourth.

Well, there are three reasons why Taylor is a very good gamble -- and not even a significant gamble, because he's not going to cost much money -- for a contender who needs a back to carry the ball 200 times this fall:

1. Taylor hasn't gotten too beaten up over the second half of his career, so he should be able to be the kind of role-playing back a contender could use. Since turning 28 five years ago, he's been a part-time running back and he's averaged 210 carries a year over that span.

2. He also averaged 4.7 yards-per-carry over that five-year stretch. Now, last year that number plummeted to 3.9 a pop, and teams will look at that drop off and say, "He's falling off a cliff.'' Maybe he is. It's a legitimate concern, and it'll take some pouring over tape to see if the holes simply weren't there for the Jags in 2008 (Maurice Jones-Drew's per-carry average also dropped, in his case half-a-yard from 2007-08) or if Taylor's really done.

3. Hunger. Taylor wants it bad.

"This change inspires me so much,'' he said from his Miami home late Monday. "I'm ready for it. It's like my first shot at free-agency. I expect to go somewhere and run till my wheels fall off.''
GALLERY: All-time rushing leaders for one team

Taylor's first words when I got him on the phone were, "Yeah, I got whacked." But he expected it. When the Jags called last Friday to say they wanted to meet with him in Miami on Monday, and that owner Wayne Weaver would be coming along, it was a pretty good hint they weren't coming down to discuss a salary cut.

"It was very professional and respectful by Mr. Weaver," said Taylor. "They handled it first-class, and I'm very appreciative of that. I am not disappointed in the Jags by any means. They could have just called me, or they could have called Drew [agent Drew Rosenhaus], but they took the extra step to come down here and tell me to my face. Men show up. Men tell you things to your face. And I will never forget that. I will call Mr. Weaver in a few years, and I will retire as a Jaguar. My loyalty for 11 years has been to the Jaguars, just like Emmitt Smith's loyalty was to the Cowboys. Whatever team I sign with, I will retire as a Jaguar.''

It's the time of year for the chopping block. Baltimore dumped Chris McAlister Monday. Denver cut Dewayne Robertson, one of the most disappointing high first-round picks in recent history. The Bucs will do the same in the next day or two with Jeff Garcia. So there's nothing surprising about Jacksonville cutting a 33-year-old running back as Jones-Drew prepares for the final season before his contract expires.

"Realistically, you anticipate it will come to this," Taylor said. "When you get past the 10-year mark, you can never be comfortable. They asked me if I was interested in retiring. I said no. Definitely no. I want to play in a Super Bowl so bad, and the Super Bowl's down here in Miami next year. I want to be in that game. Two years ago, Plaxico [Burress], my child's godfather, won the Super Bowl. This year, my little cousin from Belle Glade [Fla.], Santonio Holmes, was the MVP in the biggest game in the world. My taste for that game is getting stronger and stronger. And honestly, I feel fresh. I get inspired by young guys and showing them what I can do. There are a lot of young guys I'm still quicker than. God gave me a lot when he was handing out ability. I still have a lot."

I'll be surprised if Indianapolis, New England and Pittsburgh do not at least sniff around Taylor. The Colts have seen Taylor shred them several times over the past few years. Bill Belichick won Super Bowls with Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon, two backs in the twilight of their careers with something to prove, and he knows he can't trust Laurence Maroney to stay healthy. (I know he's got Sammy Morris, and I love Sammy Morris, but Taylor and Morris would be a pretty good 1-2 punch come December.) The Steelers have a very good insurance policy in Mewelde Moore behind Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall, but Mike Tomlin loves the running game, and he loves productive veterans.

New Orleans, Arizona, Chicago and Green Bay should sniff too.

We'll see. I say Taylor has a good contributing year left.

OX1947
02-21-2009, 03:02 AM
Parker, Mendy, 1-2 punch, Moore 3rd down back. McHugh starting full back, Carey Davis back up full back.

Steelers have one more priority for this years free agent crop. If there is some way to keep McFadden, this off season is a success in the free agent market.

We all know Harrison is going to be taken care of. Next has to be Miller, Ward and Hampton.

Steeldude
02-21-2009, 05:43 AM
We all know Harrison is going to be taken care of. Next has to be Miller, Ward and Hampton

i think hampton is done after 2010. no reason to overpay for an overweight and aging NT. the steelers had no problem on defense when hampton went down last year and a few years back. hampton is a $6,652,000 cap hit this year. his contract is up in 2010. IMO, considering his age and weight, he is not worth that kind of money any longer.

Galax Steeler
02-21-2009, 06:29 AM
Taylor would probably be a good back at the goal line and 3rd and short but I don't see no real use for him on the steelers unless we loose one of our backs.

mopit55
02-21-2009, 07:41 AM
we can play in 2009 with the current defensive line but after the next year we must sign a defensive end or draft one.the next year will be better at this position than 2009.

Galax Steeler
02-21-2009, 07:43 AM
we can play in 2009 with the current defensive line but after the next year we must sign a defensive end or draft one.the next year will be better at this position than 2009. :noidea:

lilyoder6
02-21-2009, 09:23 AM
ok...

i think that these players would of been a nice addition to the team if we did not draft rashard mendenhall and we still had a player like najah getting the "tough" yrds

Steelman16
02-21-2009, 12:11 PM
I think Taylor could be a compliment back to an already playoff-built team, but it won't be the Steelers.

St33lersguy
02-21-2009, 12:29 PM
We don't need him. We have enough RB. We need to get lineman and maybe one or two WRs or DBs. RB should not be a priority

lilyoder6
02-21-2009, 12:33 PM
and taylor gets 2 decide which playoff team he would like 2 go to

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-21-2009, 12:40 PM
When I think of picking up an older FA running back...I cant help but think..."Grey Sweatsuit".

steelerbackr4life
02-21-2009, 12:45 PM
When I think of picking up an older FA running back...I cant help but think..."Grey Sweatsuit".

:sofunny:

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Lol Where The Heck Is Duce I Mean Grey SweatSuit?

steelerbackr4life
02-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Lol Where The Heck Is Duce I Mean Grey SweatSuit?

Last I heard any news concerning him I think the Eagles retired his number. :doh:

4xSBChamps
02-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Last I heard any news concerning him I think the Eagles retired his number. :doh:

..... maybe they can put it in their Super Bowl Trophy Case, to keep the lint & dust company.....

http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/EagleTrophy-1.jpg

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-21-2009, 01:27 PM
dang lol ^

Fire Haley
02-21-2009, 01:32 PM
I brought this same article up in another forum.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=33850

He's there for the taking....

NFL | Teams haven't called Taylor yet
Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:28:49 -0800

Michael C. Wright, of The Florida Times-Union, reports free agent RB Fred Taylor (Jaguars) plans to continue to stay in shape until a team calls. He has already begun his offseason training program. However, he has not received any calls since being released by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-21-2009, 01:42 PM
"Considering hamptons age and weight, he is done after 2010"?
I think he anchored that line pretty dam good this year. Did his age or weight effect him this year?

I think this is a play by ear kind of call later on. But he is not an issue this year. Age is a factor but durabliity and level of play trumps age.

All I want for Xmas is an Oline this year or half of an Oline, or one freaking player who cares on the Oline, or one player who will stand up and say "No Ben, we failed today stop taking the blame".

Ward would be the question mark and how he comes back, if he plays the full year or not, what does he want salary wise going forward etc.

steelpride12
02-21-2009, 01:49 PM
You guys don't get it. We have 3 backs! Why would we want 4!? Parker is our starter. Mendy our power back and MeMo and Parker the 1-2 punch. Were set in the backfiend.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-21-2009, 01:55 PM
I agree. Besides if anyone goes, IMO its Parker.

steelerbackr4life
02-21-2009, 02:02 PM
You guys don't get it. We have 3 backs! Why would we want 4!? Parker is our starter. Mendy our power back and MeMo and Parker the 1-2 punch. Were set in the backfiend.

We get it hence the joking about grey sweatsuit

HometownGal
02-21-2009, 02:07 PM
I agree. Besides if anyone goes, IMO its Parker.

Parker isn't going anywhere and we aren't going to sign Freddie Taylor. End of story.

steelreserve
02-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Parker isn't going anywhere and we aren't going to sign Freddie Taylor. End of story.

Oh,come on. He could work out for us ... the same way Kevan Barlow worked out for us.

As in, a couple workouts and he was cut.

lilyoder6
02-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Oh,come on. He could work out for us ... the same way Kevan Barlow worked out for us.

As in, a couple workouts and he was cut.

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

kevin barlow

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

what a joke

KeiselPower99
02-21-2009, 03:44 PM
He wouldnt wanna play on our field anyway. He always complained about how bad it was.

devilsdancefloor
02-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Oh no no no we dont need him! please no look th eother way fred is DONE!

BlastFurnace
02-21-2009, 04:12 PM
No...No...and No.

We don't need Fred Taylor. That would be a huge waste of cap space.

steeltheone
02-21-2009, 05:41 PM
No interest....First Dumb pickup post of the season.

tony hipchest
02-21-2009, 05:43 PM
which is why we need duce mccallister, not taylor.

fred will be a patriot.

markymarc
02-22-2009, 12:51 AM
Don't we already have enough RBs on the roster? Don't do it. Fred Taylor had his run and of course he always killed our defense. Hopefully if he gets picked up it's not an AFC North team. Let him go to an NFC team.

Galax Steeler
02-22-2009, 06:57 AM
I don't think any of us will have anything to worry about we all know he is not going to be in black and gold.

lilyoder6
02-22-2009, 10:51 AM
I don't think any of us will have anything to worry about we all know he is not going to be in black and gold.

but... peter king said so...............

Galax Steeler
02-22-2009, 11:19 AM
but... peter king said so...............

He speaks nothing but the truth.:toofunny:

rbryan
02-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Is King his agent now?.......LOL

bratsinmybelly
02-22-2009, 01:48 PM
No interest....First Dumb pickup post of the season.

Not sure what you mean. I posted an article written by Peter King with my comment that Peter was high. As in stoned. As in smoking marijuana.

The post was to make fun of the silliness of the article and the uselessness of Peter King. I'm sorry you didn't pick up on that..........I'll try to "dumb it down" for you next time.

Justano
02-22-2009, 07:16 PM
i think hampton is done after 2010. no reason to overpay for an overweight and aging NT. the steelers had no problem on defense when hampton went down last year and a few years back. hampton is a $6,652,000 cap hit this year. his contract is up in 2010. IMO, considering his age and weight, he is not worth that kind of money any longer.

wtf u taling about??? hes the main run stopper in the middle... lol yeah hes gettin old so is th vikings Pat willams... lol they both similar weight and height.. andare usuall double teamed on every play... if we do let go of hampton in 2010 they better b sure they get a huge DT that is going to be able to perform on pass plays and run plays... making QB uncomfortable on pass plays and being a run stopper in the middle

Steelcitygal87
02-22-2009, 07:24 PM
John Clayton was talking about Fred Taylor on ESPN....he mentioned Fred is going to be visiting with the Patriots and Bills sometime during the week.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/02/22/patriots_looking_at_taylor/

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Patriots-Bill-interest-in-ex-Jag-Fred-Taylor-?urn=nfl,143155

jjpro11
02-23-2009, 01:09 AM
when i first saw this title, i thought we were talking about jason taylor.. i cant believe peter king came up with the idea that we would want someone like fred taylor.

Galax Steeler
02-23-2009, 04:29 AM
*sigh* good find. Can we light this thread's ass on fire now and let it burn to ashes?

Agreed :applaudit:

lilyoder6
02-23-2009, 08:24 AM
yea the bills need a rb to offset lynch and poss fill in if he gets suspend a game or two... and the pats get anyone they want even tho they have lil room in the cap to make moves

cowboykilla
02-23-2009, 01:23 PM
I say go for it ,he couldn't hurt.

revefsreleets
02-24-2009, 10:59 AM
I gotta fever.

And the only prescription is MORE RB's on the Steelers roster.

Perhaps we could just place RB's at every position, run an Arena league offense or something.

TheSteelCurtain
02-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Im suprised they didnt mention that Fred Taylor and Santonio are cousins.

lilyoder6
02-24-2009, 02:36 PM
I gotta fever.

And the only prescription is MORE RB's on the Steelers roster.

Perhaps we could just place RB's at every position, run an Arena league offense or something.

we could use the A-11

lol

steelerbuckeye
02-24-2009, 02:50 PM
LOL

Taylor would be a fine fit for the Bills until they can get their RB situation handled and worst-case scenario they can pick up one in a later round of this year's draft.