View Full Version : Rivalry Brewing Between Morris And Tomlin

mesaSteeler
02-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Rivalry Brewing Between Morris And Tomlin
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/feb/20/sp-coach-rivalry-brewing/
By ROY CUMMINGS

rcummings@tampatrib.com

Published: February 20, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS - Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is one of Bucs coach Raheem Morris' closest friends. Earlier this week, though, the two were talking about the possibility of becoming the biggest of rivals.

"We were actually talking about meeting in Miami at the Super Bowl next year and having a heavyweight head coaching boxing match, something the media wouldn't be used to," Morris said.

"It would be pretty funny if that would happen. We'd both love it to happen. It would be the first time in NFL history two head coaches were talking smack to each other on the podium."

Morris and Tomlin became close when the two worked as assistants for the Bucs between 2002 and 2005. Not surprisingly, Morris says he has adopted some of Tomlin's attributes.

"Mike Tomlin has a confident, profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery swagger," Morris said. "He's always focused on winning championships. I have that same swagger. Now I've just got to go do it."

4xSBChamps
02-21-2009, 10:49 AM
..... being DEEP behind enemy lines here in central Floriduh, I can tell you that the local media is banking-on Morris doing exactly what Tomlin has done in Pittsburgh, and that almost every article and/or TV interview about Morris mentions Tomlin, and their linkage to Dungy

Curtain_of_Steel
02-21-2009, 11:10 AM
He has that same swagger, now he just has to do it?
First off you need to get a team that can make the playoffs, lol. I hope he is in shape, because he is going to have to swagger quite a bit for a few years.

Seems like a good guy though.

lilyoder6
02-21-2009, 12:44 PM
morris has some good peices and some pieces with only a few yrs left.. it will be now or never

KeiselPower99
02-21-2009, 03:48 PM
When I watched Raheems news conference I thought damn he reminds me of Mike Tomlin. Same kinda attitude. They are probably much better off now then before.

4xSBChamps
02-21-2009, 04:06 PM
When I watched Raheems news conference I thought damn he reminds me of Mike Tomlin. Same kinda attitude. They are probably much better off now then before.

I know that many of the current Pewter Pirates' (no-lie, that is what the Radio Voice of the Buccaneers calls them) roster & fans had grown weary of Chuckie's two-faced habits:
chucking-Chuckie was simply addition through subtraction.

devilsdancefloor
02-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Well i think in the next few years we are going to see alot of new coaches with Coach Tomilins swagger.:thumbsup::tt03::tt03::tt03:

NEPAsteeler
02-21-2009, 06:19 PM
I would like to see a Super Bowl between Pittsburgh and TB just to see these two guys match up against each other.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-21-2009, 08:40 PM
You that the NFC South is very inconsistent , Bucs had the playoffs in the bag and just let it slip through their hands at the end of their season. Morris should have success at with them

lilyoder6
02-21-2009, 09:04 PM
You that the NFC South is very inconsistent , Bucs had the playoffs in the bag and just let it slip through their hands at the end of their season. Morris should have success at with them

what?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

TampaSteelerFan
02-21-2009, 09:07 PM
That would be a classic SB head coaching matchup. Tomlin has regularly been spending vacation time in Tampa since he left the Bucs (as if he didn't like it here enough BEFORE Feb 1st!)... I have even seen him at local bars with Morris and some other guys he coached with in Tampa a couple times since he got the Steeler gig. So yea, Tomlin and Morris are very tight and the smack talk between the two would be epic if they happened to face each other in a superbowl! And as far as the Bucs coming out of the NFC, stranger things have happened (uhhh, Cardinals anyone?)

Of course, at the end of that game, the ultimate scoreboard would read Steelers 7, Bucs 1. :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

markymarc
02-22-2009, 12:56 AM
I really believe Raheem Morris will be a good NFL coach. And sorry, but no one can duplicate Tomlin's swagger. Hopefully in the next few weeks Dan Rooney will give Tomlin the raise he deserves.

Galax Steeler
02-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Morris will not have the same kind of success that Tomlin has in Pittsburgh.I believe that the bucs are missing more of the puzzle then Pittsbugh was when Tomlin came on board.

4xSBChamps
02-22-2009, 07:55 AM
..... being DEEP behind enemy lines here in central Floriduh, I can tell you that the local media is banking-on Morris doing exactly what Tomlin has done in Pittsburgh, and that almost every article and/or TV interview about Morris mentions Tomlin, and their linkage to Dungy

From the Tampa Tribune, Sunday 22 February 2009

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/feb/21/sp-copy-this-bucs-trying-to-build-like-champions/sports-bucs/

Copy This: Bucs Trying To Build Like Champions

INDIANAPOLIS - The NFL always has been a copycat league. The idea is to emulate the Super Bowl champions. Right now, no one is trying to emulate the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers more than the Bucs.

They have hired a coach who reminds everyone of Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, their offseason objective is to get tougher, just like the Steelers, and they're contemplating drafting a quarterback who reminds everyone of Ben Roethlisberger.

stillers4me
02-22-2009, 09:15 AM
From the Tampa Tribune, Sunday 22 February 2009

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/feb/21/sp-copy-this-bucs-trying-to-build-like-champions/sports-bucs/

But I thought Ben sucked? :doh:
:chuckle:

lilyoder6
02-22-2009, 10:31 AM
But I thought Ben sucked? :doh:
:chuckle:

and he holds onto the ball too much, and does not have the flashy stats like a manning or a brady.. or the spotlight like a romo

4xSBChamps
02-22-2009, 10:49 AM
..... he (Roethlisberger) holds onto the ball too much, does not have the flashy stats or the spotlight.....

..... I don't think he minds.....

http://www.hollywoodcollectibles.com/autographed/memorabilia/sports/collectibles/authentic/football/16x20%20Photos/Ben_Roethlisberger_Superbowl_XL_16x20.jpg

http://images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/20090202/425.ad.BenRoethlisberger.020209.jpg

chucoblack&gold
02-22-2009, 12:10 PM
You know what I like about these little snipets? The fact that Coach T is already looking forward to having our Steelers in next years superbowl.:thumbsup: I do not see any other coach in the league with that type of swagger:checkit:

4xSBChamps
02-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Coach T is already looking forward to having our Steelers in next years superbowl.:thumbsup: I do not see any other coach in the league with that type of swagger:checkit:

I don't think that Coach Tomlin considers this 'swagger', as much as he realizes the hard-work needed to acheive the team's objective, and he is challenging the players to meet that challenge:
this coach is VERY goal-oriented.

:drink:

4xSBChamps
02-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah i agree. There's an air about him that seems to tell you that he doesnt let his players slack off and makes them play every opponent with the same demeanor.
I recall immediately following SB IX, Noll stated in the locker-room on national TV "You ain't seen nothin' yet" :
this is Tomlin's way of doing the same.

Btw, you should really ask a forum mod to change your name :chuckle:
:nono:

I grew-up watching the first IV Super Bowl Champions..... I'll let this generation of Stiller fans name ethemselves 5x, 6x, and hopefully 7x, Champs.
:thumbsup:

bratsinmybelly
02-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Its really interesting to see the amount of media attention our coach is getting.
We really have a tiger by the tail with Tomlin. There is a strong possibility that he will end up as the best coach we've ever had. I just hope we can keep him around.