PDA

View Full Version : Mack's injury could help AFC North suitors

mesaSteeler
02-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Mack's injury could help AFC North suitors
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth
February 20, 2009 2:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

Although it may be to different degrees, California center Alex Mack is on the radar of at least three AFC North teams.

The Pittsburgh Steelers and Cincinnati Bengals certainly have an immediate need for Mack, while the Cleveland Browns could consider a center/interior lineman after the first round.

But no NFL team will get an extended look at Mack in Indianapolis this week after he suffered an ankle injury during a recent personal workout. It's expected to keep Mack out of most events at the combine.

"[The ankle] turned funny," Mack said in Indianapolis. "It'll be all right, and I'll see what I can do Saturday. But no one is more disappointed about it than I was."

How does this help the AFC North?

Mack, who is the best prospect at center, was considered a late first or early second round prospect. Not performing at the combine could be a blessing in disguise because the incomplete grade in Indy cannot raise his stock, leaving Mack in the running for Pittsburgh at No. 32 at the end of the first round or the Bengals and Browns with their early second round picks.

Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, AFC North, NFL draft, NFL combine, Alex Mack, University of California

KeiselPower99
02-21-2009, 10:19 AM
I remember another guy who had an injury and fell to us.. Heath Miller.

Steelman16
02-21-2009, 11:07 AM
So if Mack is still on the board at 32, do we draft him? I'd say yes, but I feel that tackle is the more definite need.

lilyoder6
02-21-2009, 11:38 AM
i would def draft mack at 32... even tho hartwig did a good job last yr.. he is 30 and he only signed a 3 yr deal.. be good 2 start grooming him

St33lersguy
02-21-2009, 12:23 PM
YAY!!!! Let's hope his stock doesn't raise. The last thing the Steelers need is a repeat of last year

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-21-2009, 12:35 PM
If Mack or Beatty or Britton is there.....I think the LT prospect has more value. If not, then I really like Mack.

I was thinking over a year ago he would look good as a Steeler, but he honestly would have been the best center in the draft if he came out last year. I never thought he would be a #32 pick.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-21-2009, 12:48 PM
So because Mack or a player tweaked an ankle and couldn't go at the combine, teams will pass on them?

Doubtful if they are interested in him, they will bring him in for a look see. The NFL didn't just start this no draft thingy yesterday.

Draft Oline, trade next years pick for another first this year, draft Oline. We ar epicking late again next year, or atleast we better with that cupcake schedule we have. If its deep enough I would move next year to this year if possible.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-21-2009, 12:50 PM
So if Mack is still on the board at 32, do we draft him? I'd say yes, but I feel that tackle is the more definite need.

Yes...If I have the draft figured out correctly...there will be little value at Tackle at #32. Britton and Beatty should be the last two OT's in the 1st round and will be off the board in the 20-range...

The next three are Meredith, Tupou, & Loadholt. who are all mid-2nd to early 3rd round grades.

As of now Meredith would be the only one of these three with the possibility of going in the late 1st...and only to the Steelers if they think that he is more than a zone-blocker AND can add some junk to his trunk.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-21-2009, 12:53 PM
What do you guys think about shipley from penn state? He has smaller arms but im watching him right now at the combine he seems to do everything exceptionally well.

LukesDad88
02-21-2009, 01:11 PM
What do you guys think about shipley from penn state? He has smaller arms but im watching him right now at the combine he seems to do everything exceptionally well.

Ngata would eat him alive. Shipley's footwork needs work, too.

I say, unless they see somebody that they are overwhelmed with that's worth trading up for, go with Best Player Available.

steelreserve
02-21-2009, 01:15 PM

YES. For one thing, he can play guard too, and we could use help there as well. Also, he could let Hartwig play guard if that works out better.

I really don't think we could go wrong drafting a lineman from Cal. They're rarely the most heralded top-10 picks, but they always seem to turn out pretty well as pros. With a little luck, the guy could be our center for the next 10 years.

We can always take another gamble on an OT in the later rounds anyway. The best ones all figure to be gone by the middle of Round 1 this time. By overpaying Starks, at least it looks like we've got one of the spots figured out for next season.

markymarc
02-21-2009, 10:59 PM
I remember another guy who had an injury and fell to us.. Heath Miller.

That is the first thing I thought of too.

markymarc
02-21-2009, 11:00 PM
If William Beatty is there at 1.32 then I take him. But if he is gone by the time we pick I definitely go after Alex Mack. He is going to be a very good interior OL player at the next level.