PDA

View Full Version : Steelers in pretty good shape overall

BlitzburghRockCity
03-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Yeah, we will lose the likes of Vincent, Bell, Burress, and already lost Ross... but with the team we have together now, the return of Simmons to RG and the addition of Starks at RT, and the way the negotiations are going well w/ players like Reed, Williams, and Bettis resigning along w/ Foote. We dont need to do much manuevering in FA this year.

You see all these teams making all these moves, sending 10s of millions of dollars to all the FA's..and all the teams spending money are the ones that STINK ! Browns, Cowboys, etc.

We may lose some players..but the corp, the group that really helped get us there, will be back...and Ben has more than a regular seasons worth of games under his belt for experience...so if we dont make any big splashes in FA, it wont bother me much. The only thing I'd like to see is maybe try and grab a WR in FA if we can, to help take some pressure off El and Ward next year, since I dont think Mays is ready to step up and be a big time player yet. Zamir Cobb is an interesting prospect, but sat on the bench all 2004 w/ a knee injury, but he's got great size like Burress, so he'll get his shot.

Now Depth, thats alittle different..we'll need to shore up the OL, DL, & LB positions...depth wise, in the draft and or FA. Our backups came thru w/ flying colors last year, so it's imperative that we keep good depth everywhere as possible.

Just my .02 so far in the offseason. :)

JerseySTEEL
03-05-2005, 05:02 PM
see the thing i love about the steelers u never see us in FA go for the first move or rush to pick someone up, we wait and sit back and we usly let the players that are injury prone or want way to much money go and we fill them in with great young talent.Els gonna be fine in plax's spot and i like mays as a 3rd but we porb gonns draft someone late so u dont know.

ironcitychef
03-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Don't forget we will make use of UDFA after the draft and max out our expanded practice rosters. We never do go after major FA's but for whatever reason we always have decent players numbers on speed dial and fill up our practice squad with players that can fill roles.

JerseySTEEL
03-06-2005, 09:59 PM
and thats why iama steeler fan for life>:)

BlitzburghRockCity
03-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Don't forget we will make use of UDFA after the draft and max out our expanded practice rosters. We never do go after major FA's but for whatever reason we always have decent players numbers on speed dial and fill up our practice squad with players that can fill roles.

Thats how we found people like dante brown and willie parker. I really like parker and hope he sticks around..that can guy can flat out FLY!!

JerseySTEEL
03-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Blitz i agree u saw him in the bills game man he can run agaisnt a Def liek theres he busted loose, cant wait till this get is a num 1.

clevestinks
03-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Willie Parker, I was really hoping to see some screen passes to him in the playoffs, but it never happened, get him around the corner and look out

ironcitychef
03-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Now don't go getting ready to sign these guys long term. There is a reason the were undrafted. We just do a good job signing guys who are strong in one area. Got a bunch of big bruising backs? Sign a little speedster who can carry the ball about a dozen times a year just to keep people on their toes.

JerseySTEEL
03-09-2005, 12:40 AM
who said anythign about long term, i dotn even now fi they guy can catch a ball just like his speed.

ironcitychef
03-09-2005, 01:15 AM
Blitz i agree u saw him in the bills game man he can run agaisnt a Def liek theres he busted loose, cant wait till this get is a num 1.

Sorry. Guess I got lost in the translation, but I just wanted to say that while we use these guys sparingly, it is part of why they are successful. You always hear about can a guy do it over 16 games. Well probably not. But we sure like how he did this past Sunday!:D

BlitzburghRockCity
03-09-2005, 09:58 AM
no doubt..these types of players are role players..they have a specific duty in specific situations..and while you can always find a gem in the rough...yes, there's a reason these guys were undrafted, and why they need to develop their skills, and be utilized in the proper m anner.

JerseySTEEL
03-09-2005, 12:19 PM
yup but soem of them need soem tiem to see if they hold otheir skills in a game.

clevestinks
03-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Its sad to say, but we almost need to draft, wont happen, special teams players, our coverage sucks evry year. Heres my Sunday.
1:05 pm Games about to start. Steelers kick, 1:05:30 hold your breathe. 1:06 pm now you can breathe again. 42 yard line

BlitzburghRockCity
03-09-2005, 03:34 PM
I'd have to disagree.. our ST have been pretty stellar the last 2 seasons.. sure we had a break down here or there..but overall, spencer had us going pretty well for the most part.. but there's always room for improvement.

clevestinks
03-09-2005, 03:36 PM
I kow what your saying it just seems that they don`t show up when needed most. Maybe I just expect to much??

BlitzburghRockCity
03-09-2005, 03:37 PM
nothing wrong w/ high expectations, and yes they have let us down in the playoffs, on numberous occasions.

JerseySTEEL
03-09-2005, 07:53 PM
the funny thing is our ST have sucked sicn eour first super num9 lol.

ironcitychef
03-10-2005, 12:38 AM
Randle is too jumpy so I wouldn't expect him to take to the house once or twice a year like Woodson did. Then on the other side, our punt coverage is awesome. Its the kicks that hurts. We just seem to let guys start around the 35-40 way to often. I think the NFL averages were something like scoring chances doubled if you start past the 35 instead of behind it.[Notes that 64.8% of stats are made up on the spot]

JerseySTEEL
03-10-2005, 02:50 AM
After all thats said and done this year, i think we are in very good shape for the season. maybe our sec is weak still but it was last year and klnow those players that might have beendragging alil bit at the end of the season ahve played ina big games and had to bust there asses last year for a 15-1 season and this year are more tuned to do it again >:).