PDA

View Full Version : So now we pick a CB in Rd 1.

Fire Haley
02-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Pure cover corner or cover two. That is the question.

Jenkins will be long gone, but we could move up 10 spots and get the next in line.

Vontae Davis, Illinois
Height: 6-0. Weight: 200.
Projected 40 Time: 4.39.
Projected Round (2009): Top 20 Pick.

1/13/09: An AP All-America Third Team and a projected top-20 prospect, Vontae Davis declared a year early. With an outstanding combine, he could leap Malcolm Jenkins in these rankings.

12/13/08: Though Vonte Davis was benched this season, he still qualified for the All-Big Ten First Team. Davis finished the year with 78 tackles, seven TFL and eight passes broken up.

5/17/08: There's a chance Vontae Davis could surpass Malcolm Jenkins. In his two seasons at Illinois, Davis has registered 128 tackles, five picks and 14 passes broken up.

2007: One of the top players at his position in the 2010 class, Vonate Davis has incredible size for a big corner. He made an immediate contribution as a true freshman. Through four games in 2007, Davis has two blocked punts.

D.J. Moore, Vanderbilt
Height: 5-10. Weight: 183.
Projected 40 Time: 4.41.
Projected Round (2009): Top 25 Pick.

1/13/09: D.J. Moore, likely the third corner off the board, was an AP All-America second-teamer. Though he didn't take any returns back to the house, he maintained an impressive punt return average of 14.

12/13/08: Thanks to his five picks, 4.5 TFL and six passes broken up, D.J. Moore has qualified for the All-SEC First Team.

5/17/08: A member of the All-SEC team as a mere sophomore, D.J. Moore had six picks in 2007. He's also a dynamic kick returner.

Looks like a good draft for corners.

Victor Harris, Virginia Tech
Height: 5-10. Weight: 186.
Projected 40 Time: 4.52.
Projected Round (2009): 2.

1/13/09: It's a shame Macho Harris' 40 is going to hurt his draft stock a bit. He's very talented, as indicated by his AP All-America Second Team standing.

12/13/08: Macho Harris returned two interceptions for touchdowns this year. He had six picks total, along with seven passes broken up. An All-ACC First Teamer.

5/17/08: A play-maker who has seen time at receiver and kick returner. Like Brandon Flowers, Victory Harris would operate best in the cover-2.

2007: Macho Harris, who had five interceptions as a junior, has decided to stay for his senior season after declaring for the draft.

Harris, who doubles as a kick returner, started all 13 games as a sophomore.

Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest
Height: 5-8. Weight: 193.
Projected 40 Time: 4.41.
Projected Round (2009): 2-3.

1/13/09: Alphonso Smith qualified for the AP All-America First Team. That's not surprising, as he tied the ACC career record for interceptions (Dre Bly, 20).

12/13/08: Thanks to a whopping 13 passes broken up, six picks and a blocked kick, Alphonso Smith qualified for the All-ACC First Team.

5/17/08: All Alphonso Smith did in 2007 was lead the country in picks with eight.

2007: Alphonso Smith started three games as a sophomore, registering four sacks and three picks.

Darius Butler, Connecticut
Height: 5-10. Weight: 178.
Projected 40 Time: 4.36.

12/13/08: Though he missed all of November with a knee injury, Darius Butler still made the All-Big East First Team. Butler had 37 tackles and four passes broken up.

Darius Butler will make some noise with an excellent 40 at the combine. But he's more than just an athlete; Butler had four interceptions as a sophomore. Oh, and he's a solid kick-returner to boot.

Jairus Byrd, Oregon
Height: 6-0. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.53.

12/13/08: As a junior, Jairus Byrd registered 74 tackles, four picks and an amazing 14 passes broken up. Made the All-Pac 10 First Team.

8/5/08: Another outstanding Oregon corner, Jairus Byrd, who has started 24-of-26 possible games as a Duck, recorded seven interceptions and 15 pass break-ups in 2007. He's definitely made for the cover-2.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Macho harris!!!!! haha total luxury pick his isnt a need but it would be awsome if something crazy happend and we managed to get him in the second.

steelreserve
02-21-2009, 01:17 PM
I think we need to trade up for a CB like we need someone to get a DUI.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-21-2009, 01:40 PM
I would consider Parsons as a third round pick IF we get a compensatory 3rd for Faneca.

lilyoder6
02-21-2009, 02:12 PM
even tho some of those corner's are good.. i don't think we need to pick cb in the 1st rd

Fire Haley
02-21-2009, 04:51 PM
I'd take the C Alex Mack myself, but so many people were whining about losing McFadden, it was worth a shot.

But we do need to pick up another CB, all the same.

Aussie_steeler
02-21-2009, 07:28 PM
I dont think that we have to move up. I can see Sean Smith from Utah being a very viable option at #32 when playing the BPA game.

Positives: Good height and great length for a boundary corner. Very quick feet for his size. Runs well with taller receivers down the sideline, but also lines up in the slot. Former receiver has great ball skills and the vertical to go up and get the ball. Able to locate and high-point in coverage. Elusive runner with some vision to flip field position after the interception. Forces fumbles by using his length to get a hand on the ball. Has the size and closing speed to be an effective blitzer. Very quick to support the run or attack quick screens and passes in the flat. Reacts quickly on plays in front of him and finds the ball well in the air.

Negatives: Might be seen as a corner/safety "tweener." Stiff in the upper body. Does not play with the physicality scouts would like given his size. Is slow to adjust when backpedaling if a receiver cuts his route short or goes to the skinny post. Catch-and-drag tackler whose height is a disadvantage when trying to bring down ballcarriers with a low center of gravity. Inconsistent using his hands at the line of scrimmage. Gets stuck on blocks. Takes poor angles to make tackles in space or when attacking a screen. Just a little more than two years of experience on defense. talks trash.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/559569

I am guessing that B-Mac walks so CB becomes a need. I also see FS as a need.

This kid is a CB first who is a tall specimen with size (6'3 210lbs). He also projects as a FS if he runs slower than expected at the combine.

Given time to work with Tomlin and the sec staff I see Smith as a solid prospect. If he cant play CB he can definitely play FS. You essentially get two bites at the cherry with him.

St33lersguy
02-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Why are we talking about getting a CB in the 1st round. The Steelers MUST DRAFT A TRENCH GUY. CB is not a big need unless Deshea, Ike, and William Gay are also slated to leave ( Which is not the case). You guys must understand B-Mac was a backup who never lived up to his potential nor cracked the starting lineup. He is not worth wasting cap room resigning him. He was not a valuable asset, he was just along for the ride every year. William gay is better anyway

St33lersguy
02-21-2009, 07:53 PM
we could move up 10 spots and get the next in line.
Yeah like the Steelers can afford to waste multiple picks doing that considering the mass overhaul the Steelers need to perform on OL & DL

lilyoder6
02-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Why are we talking about getting a CB in the 1st round. The Steelers MUST DRAFT A TRENCH GUY. CB is not a big need unless Deshea, Ike, and William Gay are also slated to leave ( Which is not the case). You guys must understand B-Mac was a backup who never lived up to his potential nor cracked the starting lineup. He is not worth wasting cap room resigning him. He was not a valuable asset, he was just along for the ride every year. William gay is better anyway

umm then who was that player who started after deshea went down.. and then came back and was the starter again after he broke his fore-arm and started thru the whole post-season when deshea was the #3 guy

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Depending how the 1st rounds plays out, i think we should trade down.

If their is more then a handful fo o-linemen at pick 32, i say we try to bargin a little. Maybe get another 2nd and a 4th. Get 2 2nd round picks, 2 3rd rounf Picks and 2 4th round picks. We could go fufill all our needs before the 5th round hits.

SunshineMan21
02-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Trade up for a CB? No way . . .

ShutDown24
02-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Vontae Davis might be gone before Jenkins... Jenkins' stock has been falling.

Why are we all of a sudden taking a CB in the first? no. If a good offensive linemen falls to us that's what we're going to take. And if not, we'll probably trade up for one. If neither of those scenarios work out it's best player available.

lilyoder6
02-21-2009, 09:59 PM
there is a lot of posiblities that can happen til draft day...

with how many FA we have.. we are prob not going 2 be able 2 re-sign all. and may need to dip into FA...

Fire Haley
02-22-2009, 12:04 AM
If we are going D-line, I like this guy

Jarron Gilbert jumping out of a pool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw

SunshineMan21
02-22-2009, 02:07 AM
The thing is our relevant FA are B-Mac, Wash, and the O-line. If we didn't have such an obvious need it might work, but as it stands we don't have too much choice.

steelerdave1969
02-22-2009, 04:26 AM
umm then who was that player who started after deshea went down.. and then came back and was the starter again after he broke his fore-arm and started thru the whole post-season when deshea was the #3 guy

I have to agree with ya there for sure. I think that McFadden is a very valuable asset myself. He has experience that Will Gay does not have, now I am not saying that Gay isnt a good football player and that has yet to be proven, but I will take that experience of McFadden right now.

darnik44
02-22-2009, 07:04 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09053/950881-66.stm

INDIANAPOLIS -- Kevin Colbert said cornerback is one of the two deepest positions in the National Football League draft. The other is defensive end, where he said there are plenty of tweener-sized guys who project as outside linebackers in a 3-4 defense -- an area, seemingly, of little need for the Steelers.

Maybe not so with cornerback.

Not if the Steelers can't resign cornerback Bryant McFadden, the only starter on the league's No. 1 defense who is an unrestricted free agent.

"He is a priority, but we know we can't keep this whole team together," said Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations. "We understand that."

Colbert said the team will try to sign their key free agents before the free-agency period begins Friday. But McFadden, who received $520,000 last season in the final year of a four-year, $2.46 million contract, could earn significantly more than that on the free-agent market.

A lot more, perhaps, than what the Steelers might be willing to pay, especially after putting an $8.451 million franchise tag on tackle Max Starks and getting closer to a new contract for All-Pro linebacker James Harrison that would allow him to end his career with the team.

And McFadden and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, are expected to explore that avenue -- for good reason. McFadden quickly has become one of the most desirable cornerbacks on the free-agent market, and not just because he is a starter on a defense that finished No. 1 against the pass in 2008.

Already, two of the other top cornerbacks who were unrestricted free agents -- Oakland's Nnamdi Asomugha and Kelvin Hayden of the Indianapolis Colts -- have signed lucrative multi-year deals to remain with their teams. In addition, the Houston Texans have placed the franchise tag on cornerback Dunta Robinson and the Washington Redskins appear to have made re-signing cornerback DeAngelo Hall one of their top priorities.

That leaves McFadden, a No. 2 draft pick in 2005 who has started 21 NFL games, near, or at, the top of the free-agent cornerback list. And that could price him out of the Steelers' financial picture.

"It could," Colbert said. "It only takes one team to accelerate the price. It doesn't take a great market. If one team has a sincere interest and you're not able to match [the offer], you're probably going to lose that player."

Rosenhaus could not be reached for comment.

The Steelers also might not be willing to raise the ante for McFadden because they have cornerback William Gay waiting in the wings. Gay started four games last season when McFadden had a broken forearm and then rotated every two series with McFadden when he returned. That rotation continued right through the Super Bowl.

The Steelers also have veteran Deshea Townsend, but they seem content to use him as their nickel back.

"Gay has done some nice things, but you never know if anybody is ready to be a regular until he's a regular," Colbert said. "You saw things in William Gay's play that maybe he can be [a starter], but you don't know. They're kind of like draft picks -- you don't how they're going to be at the next level; you don't how a backup is going to be as a starter.

"So, if you can keep your starter, unless you know for sure [the backup is ready], you're better off keeping your starter if you can."

If they don't, the Steelers might have to look to the draft for help, especially because Townsend will be entering his 12th NFL season. And it is a deep year for cornerbacks.

As many as five cornerbacks could go in the first round, and 11 have a chance to be drafted by the end of the second round.

lilyoder6
02-22-2009, 09:41 AM
thats a gost lil article there darnik44

if we can't re-sign mcfadden that will mess up the draft a lil bit.. with teams trying to spread the defense out.. u are going to have be deep in that position that are good

darnik44
02-22-2009, 10:07 AM
thats a gost lil article there darnik44

if we can't re-sign mcfadden that will mess up the draft a lil bit.. with teams trying to spread the defense out.. u are going to have be deep in that position that are good

I think he's as good as gone. It's going to be the Randle El situation all over again. Somebody will throw a monster contract at him and overpay him. The Steelers just don't play that game. The control the cap. That's why we don't have to endure rebuilding years like most other NFL fans do.

Even if they are somehow able to resign him, I still see CB as a need. Townsend has got to be close to retirement. Willie Gay is really only a #4 CB, no better. He get's exploited by taller receivers.

Fire Haley
02-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Yeah - I blame the Raiders.

Not saying I wouldn't be happy to pick OL if we get Mack or a falling OT. We gotta get Ben some big uglies, not doubt, 2 outta the first 3 picks would do nicely. But who knows how the Steelers will view the #32 pick.

This is the best secondary group we've had in eons and I'd hate to see it get diminished. Ike doesn't have the ball skills that would make him a household name outta Pittsburgh, but he's servicable. Deshea is getting long in the tooth, we only have Gay as a replacement. If those guys back there get hurt - we are screwed.

I'd like to keep McFadden, no doubt. It takes time to learn Lebeau's defense. I trust the Steelers to find the kind of guy they want.

lilyoder6
02-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah - I blame the Raiders.

Not saying I wouldn't be happy to pick OL if we get Mack or a falling OT. We gotta get Ben some big uglies, not doubt, 2 outta the first 3 picks would do nicely. But who knows how the Steelers will view the #32 pick.

This is the best secondary group we've had in eons and I'd hate to see it get diminished. Ike doesn't have the ball skills that would make him a household name outta Pittsburgh, but he's servicable. Deshea is getting long in the tooth, we only have Gay as a replacement. If those guys back there get hurt - we are screwed.

I'd like to keep McFadden, no doubt. It takes time to learn Lebeau's defense. I trust the Steelers to find the kind of guy they want.

i would hope that roy lewis is something.. i like the fact when deshea was playing 3 while bmac played 2... idk.. so many hard decisions

Fire Haley
02-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Losing McFadden really screws up my

OL
OL
OL
DL

draft

Rhee Rhee
02-26-2009, 11:02 PM
I dont think that we have to move up. I can see Sean Smith from Utah being a very viable option at #32 when playing the BPA game.

I am guessing that B-Mac walks so CB becomes a need. I also see FS as a need.

This kid is a CB first who is a tall specimen with size (6'3 210lbs). He also projects as a FS if he runs slower than expected at the combine.

Given time to work with Tomlin and the sec staff I see Smith as a solid prospect. If he cant play CB he can definitely play FS. You essentially get two bites at the cherry with him.

like a lot of mock drafts have predicted... i see him going to the ravens... if he falls and it's between him and a guy like eric wood... i'd lean toward sean smith..

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Just rewatched the combine and Macho Harris ran a 4.57 and 4.64 in his 40 time.

Looking like a cover 2 corner without deep speed to stay with WR's down the field.

paw-n-maul-u
03-01-2009, 10:20 PM
MACHOOOOOOOOOO ... great value if we packaged a couple picks and moved up high in the third to snag him. I would love that.

he could return ... plays awesome man defense ... is a BEAST of a tackler ... everything a good steelers corner needs. He has pretty good speed but is not Ike Taylor ... he could even play some safety, this kid did everything for VT and was by far the best player on the field regardless of which side he lined up on.

end arounds ... line up on the flank ... return punts and kicks ... and oh ya he is the best corner on a defense that had rankings all in the top 5 the last bazillion years.

VT puts out dieselllll corner prospects ... Deangello hall jimmy williams and brandon flowers to name a few ... macho will be the next and I honestly feel is more versatile and plays more consistent than any of the forementioned names