PDA

View Full Version : Alabama's Andre Smith plummeting....

Steelcitygal87
02-21-2009, 05:55 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/around_the_nfl/post/Alabama-s-Andre-Smith-plummeting?urn=nfl,143110

NDIANAPOLIS - Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith continued to tumble in the eyes of NFL coaches and executives when he couldn't be located Saturday morning to participate in the workouts for linemen.

That follows the bad reviews Smith got from coaches from Alabama and the perception that he did a poor job of interviewing with the media and teams. Smith turned off several coaches when he told them he wasn't participating in the workout because he started training late.

"The kid is killing himself," a source close to Smith said. "He basically told the NFL people he's lazy. This is incredible. ... It doesn't matter if you're ready or not. You at least show up at the workouts and watch."

Some draft analysts had projected Smith, a junior, as a possible No. 1 overall pick in April. Concerns about his character started to surface in a serious way when Alabama head coach Nick Saban kicked him off the team before the Sugar Bowl.

Smith was rumored to be involved with the representative of an agent before the game, a violation of NCAA and NFL Players Association rules. When Alabama turned the issue over to a lawyer who is on retainer with the school to investigate possible violations, Smith initially turned over his bank records but then refused to turn over his phone records, according to two sources.

Saban deemed that a violation of team rules and dismissed Smith, who then turned pro after the bowl game. NFL coaches have been in contact with Alabama officials since then and have not heard good reports on Smith's character, a source said.

Despite so much time off, Smith has gotten out of shape in the view of NFL types.

As one scout put it Friday: "Just another guy who doesn't get it."

According to Smith's agent, Alvin Keels, Smith subsequently flew to Atlanta on Saturday for a workout with a private trainer and is not expected back in Indianapolis.

lilyoder6
02-21-2009, 06:19 PM
he keeps shooting himself in the foot... maybe if he keeps this up,, he could fall to our pick.. lol

Steelcitygal87
02-21-2009, 06:27 PM
he keeps shooting himself in the foot... maybe if he keeps this up,, he could fall to our pick.. lol

lol Yep, sounds as though he is on his way down there. Seriously, that is a shame..a kid with so much potential...so much talent....yet his work ethic stinks!

"The kid is killing himself," a source close to Smith said. "He basically told the NFL people he's lazy. This is incredible. ... It doesn't matter if you're ready or not. You at least show up at the workouts and watch."

tony hipchest
02-21-2009, 06:32 PM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/02/21/alabamas-smith-goes-missing-at-combine/

Former NFL GM Charlie Casserly was scolding Smith for the problems on NFL Network:
"He's not the first player who has left the combine early, that's fairly common if they're not going to work out," former NFL General Manager Charley Casserly said. "A lack of communication, that's not good. To fly back to work out, I'm not buying it. He could be here and be around. This is not good. A team told me this morning that this guy has not been the best worker. The thing that bothers me is I've seen how Nick Saban runs his programs and how hard he works those guys and challenges those guys. How far he'll drop in the draft, you don't want to throw him out because the guy has a lot of ability."
Draft analyst Mike Mayock was even harsher in his criticism of the overweight/out of shape former top offensive line prospect. Mayock said there was no excuse for showing up fat for what should be the biggest job interview of Smith's life.

As teams analyzed more and more film of Smith, he was already likely to start sliding down draft boards. While Smith can destroy defensive linemen in the running game, he has not had a lot of experience lining up and pass blocking NFL-style against speed rushers coming off of the edge. And when he was asked to handle speed rushers, he didn't show the feet and agility to do it consistently. While Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe are NFL left tackles, there is some concern that Smith will end up either at right tackle or guard. He may be dominating at one of those positions if he can grow up and show improved dedication, but right tackles and offensive guards are rarely drafted in the top 10 picks.

Steelcitygal87
02-21-2009, 06:42 PM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/02/21/alabamas-smith-goes-missing-at-combine/

"Former NFL GM Charlie Casserly was scolding Smith for the problems on NFL Network: The thing that bothers me is I've seen how Nick Saban runs his programs and how hard he works those guys and challenges those guys."

That is what is so baffling to me. With a head coach who is such a taskmaster, you would think the kid would be anything but lazy. Although, if the desire and heart isn't there from the beginning....I doubt anything Nick could have put him through would change that.

devilsdancefloor
02-21-2009, 06:56 PM
if he is that lazy i doubt we pick him if he falls to us:noidea:

Steelcitygal87
02-21-2009, 07:02 PM
if he is that lazy i doubt we pick him if he falls to us:noidea:

Yeah, I wouldn't think the Steelers would even consider him after learning about his poor attitude.

nojobny
02-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't think the Steelers would even consider him after learning about his poor attitude.

Exactly. As much as coach preaches to the players 'don't be THAT guy', Smith has "that guy" written all over him.

No player is worth that much aggravation (read: pacman, T.O., Vick, et al)

tony hipchest
02-21-2009, 07:29 PM
he sounds like he has a case of "hamptonitis".

he'll probably wake up, have a good pro-day that convinces teams they cant pass on him.

St33lersguy
02-21-2009, 07:31 PM

Unfortunately that is the case. From a guy like myself who realizes that the OL JUST ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY MUST BE ADRESSED it is next to unbearable to think that the Steelers will actually pass up the oppurtunity to draft A. Smith a building block in fixing this OL and a true talent on the OL, something the Steelers need. I personally wouldbe doing backflips in celebration if I had a chance to draft a guy who played in the SEC and won the outland trophy

MasterOfPuppets
02-21-2009, 07:36 PM
he'll drop to the chargers at 16

kmsteelerwr15
02-21-2009, 07:37 PM
and to think there are many players who were not invited, but would work their asses off to prove every team in the NFL what they can do.......but no someone lazy like this really f's things up

MasterOfPuppets
02-21-2009, 07:44 PM
and to think there are many players who were not invited, but would work their asses off to prove every team in the NFL what they can do.......but no someone lazy like this really f's things up
not suprising....he didn't play in the senior bowl either....:noidea:

St33lersguy
02-21-2009, 08:01 PM
not suprising....he didn't play in the senior bowl either....:noidea:

He's a junior football player coming out of college.

lilyoder6
02-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Exactly. As much as coach preaches to the players 'don't be THAT guy', Smith has "that guy" written all over him.

No player is worth that much aggravation (read: pacman, T.O., Vick, et al)

how could u even put T.O.. in the same boat as pacman and vick...

and 2nd.. if the craziest shit happens and andre smith is there at 32 and the steelers don't select them.. then the steelers would be deemed morons

the kid can play.. and we had the same problem with hampton and his weight at the beginning of the TC..

SteelTalons
02-21-2009, 08:20 PM
he sounds like he has a case of "hamptonitis".

he'll probably wake up, have a good pro-day that convinces teams they cant pass on him.

Thats what I was thinking... The guy dont seem like he is a jerk. He's just lazy... Maybe he is trying lower his stock so the garbage teams with high picks will skip over him. :laughing:

Im pretty sure the last thing he wants to be in is a Lions jersey.

MasterOfPuppets
02-21-2009, 08:32 PM
He's a junior football player coming out of college.stop making excuses for the lazy fat bastard.......:flap: .....your right ,musta been monroe i was thinkin of...:noidea:

Texasteel
02-22-2009, 05:45 AM
It look obvious that Smith may not be as bright as we had hoped, but I'm going to lay a lot of this at the feet of his agent Alvin Keels. Isn't it the job of the agent to make sure that this sort of misstep doesn't happen. Particularly when you know there is a problem in the first place. If their story is true he is letting it filter out piece by piece making it look as though there are making it up as they go. If its not true, you still have to get it out there quickly to head of a lot of these questions.

Smith will be ready for the pro day, which may be ever more important that the combines. He will slip some, but he won't make it out of the low teens.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-22-2009, 06:18 AM
It look obvious that Smith may not be as bright as we had hoped, but I'm going to lay a lot of this at the feet of his agent Alvin Keels. Isn't it the job of the agent to make sure that this sort of misstep doesn't happen. Particularly when you know there is a problem in the first place. If their story is true he is letting it filter out piece by piece making it look as though there are making it up as they go. If its not true, you still have to get it out there quickly to head of a lot of these questions.

Smith will be ready for the pro day, which may be ever more important that the combines. He will slip some, but he won't make it out of the low teens.

I agree completely.

stillers4me
02-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Maybe he really wants to be on the Steelers instead of going to some low class, losing team so he's doing this on purpose. :chuckle:

lilyoder6
02-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Maybe he really wants to be on the Steelers instead of going to some low class, losing team so he's doing this on purpose. :chuckle:

hahaha.. that could be true... but if he says he has done anything worse.. he would fit the bill of the bengals

St33lersguy
02-22-2009, 01:43 PM

And then I guess he doesn't care about losing millions of dollars in the process

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-23-2009, 10:06 AM

So true. What is he, a 21 year old kid that has been told by everybody around him that he is great?? Pretty easy for a kid like that to take things for granted and his agent should have taken care of most things.

The other issue is that he took a long time to get and agent which delayed the process.............I just dont get it????? If I was in his position I would have just said, "Drew Rosenhaus, Eugene Parker, Ken Zuckerman, tell me what you will do for me and I'll pick an agent by tomorrow". If the kid had an agent by Jan. 10, he would be on track and probably a top 5 pick. I honestly see him now between 15-20. The kid is scaring most teams into thinking he is Alonzo Spellman or Demitrius Underwood.............not a good thing.

tony hipchest
02-23-2009, 10:14 AM
adam schein is completely ripping him for also giving some interviews that were a complete "embarrassment".

he notes that one of the interviews (im thinking for radio) was given with kevin colbert sitting right next to him and listenning.