PDA

View Full Version : ever go to a funeral AND carnival on the same day?

tony hipchest
02-22-2009, 12:30 AM
even took my worse half out for lunch.

small towns suck. so much for saturday entertainment. the funeral service was nice, with a gospel flavor, and only an hour long (although 9:00 is a bit early) as was taking my niece and daughter out for some fun.

unfortunately my podunk towns idea of a carnival is bringing in the exact same lame ass rides they have for the county fair in august.

how the hell can a tilt a whirl, ferris wheel, merry go round, zipper, and salt 'n pepper shaker not run its course in the past 25 years. dont these things ever break down?

these are the exact same rides ran by the exact same carnies, in the exact same leather trenchcoats, smoking the exact same brand of GPC cigs, since i was a kid.

(atleast having the same "mall santa" for pictures holds a bit of nostalgia.)

seriously, you know youre at a ghetto carnival when people can smoke on the merry-go-round as they hold their 3 year old child on the plastic horse.

damn, i miss football. how many weeks til pre-season?

:chuckle:

Mamaduck43
02-22-2009, 12:43 AM
Tony, when I lived there, the nearest mall was in El Paso - - Cruces didn't even have one!!!!! We even made a couple of trips to Albuquerque to hit a mall at Xmas time.....

Went to a going away party at the club on base one time, and one of the wives made a statement that still cracks me up..... She took the mike and said, "You know that you have been in XXXXX too long, when there is a dress at KMart that you just CAN:T live without!!!!" Oh, so true.....

I haven't been there since 1980, but I can just imagine how the place has grown..... I kinda liked the town......

tony hipchest
02-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Cruces didn't even have one!!!!! :jawdrop:

:laughing:

you would be amazed how its grown.

while the old k-mart has now evolved into a [s]mall that we like to call the "hall", we actually have a Home Depot and Lowes (across the street).

i am sure you remember the otero county fair, then.

it is EXACTLY the same. :dang: absolutely nothing has changed. the lion burgers are still the same, the corn on the cob is just as good and i swear its still the same animals in the livestock and rodeo.

with all that being said, i kinda like it too. i wouldnt mind moving out of "town" though, away from all the "hustle and bustle". :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
02-22-2009, 01:11 AM
:jawdrop:

:laughing:

you would be amazed how its grown.

while the old k-mart has now evolved into a [s]mall that we like to call the "hall", we actually have a Home Depot and Lowes (across the street).

i am sure you remember the otero county fair, then.

it is EXACTLY the same. :dang: absolutely nothing has changed. the lion burgers are still the same, the corn on the cob is just as good and i swear its still the same animals in the livestock and rodeo.

with all that being said, i kinda like it too. i wouldnt mind moving out of "town" though, away from all the "hustle and bustle". :chuckle:maybe they're clones.....:noidea:

tony hipchest
02-22-2009, 01:15 AM
maybe they're clones.....:noidea:

...tastes like it. :yummy:

i swear the exact same "teriyaki steak on a stick" was seen getting roped by the exact same cowboy the night before.

year, after year, after year....

Galax Steeler
02-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Did you ride the merry go round Tony.:chuckle:

KeiselPower99
02-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Good times.

tony hipchest
02-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Did you ride the merry go round Tony.:chuckle:

:doh: yeah...

:oops:

:couch:

Preacher
02-22-2009, 12:13 PM
I've been to a funeral that the family treated like a carnival. . .

Including when they (the family) all got up and got behind one another, hands on hips, and did the train dance through the aisles . . .

HometownGal
02-22-2009, 06:49 PM
My Mama always told me to beware of carnies . . . . :horror:

https://www.crackedtees.com/repository/product/cant_sleep_clowns_will_eat_2.png

kittenfantastico76
02-23-2009, 10:52 AM
I've never been to a funeral and a carnival in the same day... HOWEVER... I have been to a wedding, that eventually ended with someone taking a trip to their own funeral.

My good friends got married and had a reception at a local hotel. After the reception had come to an end, we all went up to the bar/club of the hotel to have an after party. Many of us were staying in this hotel for the evening... some friends asked us all to come hang out in their room... as we were heading upstairs, apparently a drunken patron of the bar, had left, drove home, come back after wrecking his girlfriends truck.. in his own truck, wrecking that in front of the bar... he proceeded to walk through the mini pond that surrounded the hotel... yelling at his girlfriend (she was dancing with a guy)... he was armed... and continued to yell the cops had been called... long story short... he almost made it on the front door of the hotel before the cops had to gun him down... CRAZY RIGHT?!?!

Our friends witnessed the stand off between him and the cops... I'm happy I had a couple drinks that night... AND thankful didn't actually see the shooting happen... what a dark cloud over a happy day!!!

I can't imagine what the man thought he was going to do but I'm thankful he didn't make it into the dance club and that we werent' down there still hanging out when all this happened... This was in a fairly small town as well... jealously, alcohol and handguns are NOT a good combination!!!!

HometownGal
02-23-2009, 10:57 AM
I've never been to a funeral and a carnival in the same day... HOWEVER... I have been to a wedding, that eventually ended with someone taking a trip to their own funeral.

My good friends got married and had a reception at a local hotel. After the reception had come to an end, we all went up to the bar/club of the hotel to have an after party. Many of us were staying in this hotel for the evening... some friends asked us all to come hang out in their room... as we were heading upstairs, apparently a drunken patron of the bar, had left, drove home, come back after wrecking his girlfriends truck.. in his own truck, wrecking that in front of the bar... he proceeded to walk through the mini pond that surrounded the hotel... yelling at his girlfriend (she was dancing with a guy)... he was armed... and continued to yell the cops had been called... long story short... he almost made it on the front door of the hotel before the cops had to gun him down... CRAZY RIGHT?!?!

Our friends witnessed the stand off between him and the cops... I'm happy I had a couple drinks that night... AND thankful didn't actually see the shooting happen... what a dark cloud over a happy day!!!

I can't imagine what the man thought he was going to do but I'm thankful he didn't make it into the dance club and that we werent' down there still hanging out when all this happened... This was in a fairly small town as well... jealously, alcohol and handguns are NOT a good combination!!!!

WOW! :jawdrop: There are a lot of KOOKS walking around out there (well, one less now). As you said, thank God this guy didn't make it into the club - who knows what he would have done? Very scary stuff.

kittenfantastico76
02-25-2009, 11:32 AM
WOW! :jawdrop: There are a lot of KOOKS walking around out there (well, one less now). As you said, thank God this guy didn't make it into the club - who knows what he would have done? Very scary stuff.

I KNOW! I'm thankful that I had some drinks at the reception and that evening... otherwise I might have seriously lost it... I can't imagine being the officers that had to take him down, sure that's what they are trained to do but it can't be easy...

Thankfully the bride and groom were already in the honeymoon suite, and didn't catch wind of this until the next AM...

It's crazy!!! This is stuff you read about say in big cities... not little ones... I haven't been back to that club either... sad part... it was a club for older men and women. The club's whole theme is music and stuff circa 1950's to the 80's tops with a few fun recent songs mixed it. It is definitely the club that older generations flock too, I would expect this at a younger club, not one for people that are older, more established etc... if that makes sense.

Sadly we were having a blast that night dancing to all the old music (coughGOODMUSICcough)... :wink02: Before this all happened.

GBMelBlount
02-28-2009, 08:41 AM
No, but I almost did. The summer after 5th grade my friend Eddy and I were at the "local" amusement park in Connecticut.

We were waiting in line for the octopus and missed getting on the ride by less than 10 people.

I was leaning over the wire fence watching the ride and mesmerized by how fast it was whipping around in circles.

One of the arms collapsed not 20 feet in front of me and two kids went flying across the pavement. A third, from my hometown, had her leg caught in the carriage as she fell out and she was dragged around several times, losing many teeth, fingers, etc. It was horrific.

The ride operator hit the emergency shutoff and ran out to help and was hammered by one of the "arms" and knocked out cold. All in all, not a good day.....

And my wife wonders why I don't get excited to go on roller coasters....

Galax Steeler
03-01-2009, 08:51 AM
No, but I almost did. The summer after 5th grade my friend Eddy and I were at the "local" amusement park in Connecticut.

We were waiting in line for the octopus and missed getting on the ride by less than 10 people.

I was leaning over the wire fence watching the ride and mesmerized by how fast it was whipping around in circles.

One of the arms collapsed not 20 feet in front of me and two kids went flying across the pavement. A third, from my hometown, had her leg caught in the carriage as she fell out and she was dragged around several times, losing many teeth, fingers, etc. It was horrific.

The ride operator hit the emergency shutoff and ran out to help and was hammered by one of the "arms" and knocked out cold. All in all, not a good day.....

And my wife wonders why I don't get excited to go on roller coasters....

You are a very lucky man, then again you might just be living right.:chuckle:

GBMelBlount
03-01-2009, 10:24 AM
You are a very lucky man, then again you might just be living right.:chuckle:

Thanks galax. That WAS lucky I guess.

I had a good friend who always wanted me to go sky diving with him. He said "but you only live once Tom!"

My response was "EXACTLY!"