PDA

View Full Version : Official Mendenhall Thread

Mags87
02-22-2009, 03:11 AM
i wanna start an official opinions thread on Mendenhall. from what i saw in his first few games, i have a great feeling about this kid. i still have the first Steelers-Ravens game on DVR and i see great flares out of him. cant wait to root for him in the upcoming years. what does everyone else think?

JackHammer
02-22-2009, 03:48 AM
Fire Mendenhall!

Mags87
02-22-2009, 04:10 AM
Fire Mendenhall!

:banging::banging::banging:

steelerdave1969
02-22-2009, 04:26 AM
Ok Mags, I will play this game with ya bud. I love what I saw from Mendenhall most of the time. I just hope and wish that he will keep that head up and keep his eyes open for holes better. It just seems like him and Willie Parker just run in with their heads down and no eyes up the field and when he runs into the back of an offensive linemen and doesnt explode outside like he should sometimes.
But I love the thoughts of adding Rashard back to this team in '09 for sure

Mags87
02-22-2009, 04:54 AM
O7OiYXlBEZU

i know its not the NFL, but look at him keep his eyes upfield. he knows whos comin for him, and who is there to help him. what kind of rushing attack do we have next year?!?!?!

stillers4me
02-22-2009, 09:16 AM
He'll be playing with an chip on that healed shoulder, for sure.

Michael Keller
02-22-2009, 09:48 AM
He has the physical gifts to be a super star. Size , speed and moves . What is his motor ? Remains to be seen. Is he coachable? Remains to be seen.

I feel like I know Limas Sweed much better than Mendenhal . I predict big things for Sweed. The rough times Sweed experienced indicate the kid wants it real bad and he will arrive sooner or maybe later but be sure he will be a player..

We just don"t know enough about Mendenhal.

Mendenahll's biggest advantage is that he plays for the best organization in sports and the commitment to winning should rub off on him . My best GUESS is Mendenhall's talents plus Steelers' team Chemistry equals pro bowl like performance.

StainlessStill
02-22-2009, 09:58 AM
I was at the Baltimore game where Mendy got hurt. Every time he ran the ball, for the brief time, he ran with a vengeance and had major burst in his carries. I too watched that game and he looked better on tape than in person and I was relieved he had that itch on his shoulder. Unfortunately, it was ended short, but it should pay off and I think everyone has a feeling he's going to be a monster.

Steelcitygal87
02-22-2009, 10:09 AM
I was at the Baltimore game where Mendy got hurt. Every time he ran the ball, for the brief time, he ran with a vengeance and had major burst in his carries. I too watched that game and he looked better on tape than in person and I was relieved he had that itch on his shoulder. Unfortunately, it was ended short, but it should pay off and I think everyone has a feeling he's going to be a monster.

I really like this kid! His most impressive game, to me, in college( that exemplifies what you are describing) was his performance in the Rose Bowl against USC(which, as you know, is about as close to a pro style of D you can get...they play extremely physical and intense). He was the offense for Illinois. The one thing that concerns me most about him is his problem with hanging onto the football. Hopefully that can be corrected and won't be a problem when he takes the field in 2009:tt03:

lilyoder6
02-22-2009, 10:12 AM
i am excited 2 see what he can do in the 09 season.. hopefully get the running game back to where it has been in the past

Steelcitygal87
02-22-2009, 10:16 AM
i am excited 2 see what he can do in the 09 season.. hopefully get the running game back to where it has been in the past

This kids arm muscles are massive. I think he possesses great upper body strength which will help him bust through defensive lines. He reminds me of a young Bettis.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-22-2009, 10:47 AM
He has the physical gifts to be a super star. Size , speed and moves . What is his motor ? Remains to be seen. Is he coachable? Remains to be seen.

Being from Illinois, i got to see alot of this kid....he is said to be a "film watcher" and has a great work ethic....Played behind some very average linemen but still cranked out some serious yards.

He is patient enough to wait for his hole, and decisive enough to make himself skinny and slid through gaps when his hole collapses...he also falls forward and has a wicked stiff arm.

His lateral speed is not the best in the world but he is a better reciever than most scouts gave him credit for. If I had to name a weakness, I would say that he needs to work on his blocking, haveing never had to do it very much in college.

Dont let his much publicized "falling out" with Coach Zook throw you. He is not a kid with a 'tude. He and his family had EVERY right to be upset with Zook. Rashard was NOTHING but a team player for Zook and did everything he was asked to do. Zook is reported to have some ...control issues...and was upset that Rashard skipped his senior season. Unbelievably, he felt the need to "get back" at Rashard for "daring" to go against his wishes...and soon after cut his brother Walter from the team.

It wasnt like Walter didnt deserve a slot on the Illinois team either....he transferred to Illinois State and had 11 TD's and averaged 6.3 yards a carry with the Redbirds.

Galax Steeler
02-22-2009, 11:48 AM
I didn't think Zook was that kind of a coach,I just lost alot of respect for him.

Hapa
02-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Needs to put his head down more often and just hit somebody. Always trying to juke people at 220 lbs doesn't always work.

lilyoder6
02-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Needs to put his head down more often and just hit somebody. Always trying to juke people at 220 lbs doesn't always work.

that was prob the rookie in him.. they are alway ancy at the beginning.... prob would of gotten over it if he did not get injured

Preacher
02-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Look. . .

I was excited about the kid. Still am.

But comparing him to a young Bettis and some of the other high praise is a bit overblown right now.

He has problems holding on to the ball... rookie mistakes most likely. Just not used to the strength of the defense. But none the less, he will have to grow past that.

I wasn't too impressed with his running last year. However, the line was HORRID when he was running the ball.

I think he will be good. Perhaps VERY good. I am VERY excited about the Willie-Mendy combo.

But let's keep our praise a bit in check until we see him a full year. It is the same as calling people busts after 1 year, there just isn't enough evidence to say anything. . . ESPECIALLY when he was hurt for 3/4ths of the season.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Look. . .

But comparing him to a young Bettis and some of the other high praise is a bit overblown right now.

He has problems holding on to the ball... rookie mistakes most likely. Just not used to the strength of the defense. But none the less, he will have to grow past that.

I wasn't too impressed with his running last year. However, the line was HORRID when he was running the ball.

I think he will be good. Perhaps VERY good. I am VERY excited about the Willie-Mendy combo.

But let's keep our praise a bit in check until we see him a full year. It is the same as calling people busts after 1 year, there just isn't enough evidence to say anything. . . ESPECIALLY when he was hurt for 3/4ths of the season.

Valid points....I also agree that he is going to be special, but will hold off on any comparisons until he proves himself on the field.

Expectations?...High

Actuallity?.....Unproven

Steelcitygal87
02-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Look. . .

You're absolutely right preacher...he needs to prove himself on the field. His style reminds me of Bettis...but he has a long way to go before his production can be compared to one of the greats.

devilsdancefloor
02-22-2009, 12:54 PM
well i hope he does come out and wanna prove to the world he is a star! :tt03::tt03:

Lambertfan
02-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Yep Mr Sweed will makes us forget um..oh yeah Nate when he go's out the door!!!!:tt:

bratsinmybelly
02-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Hopefully one of the first things RM will learn from WIllie is how to overcome some adversity.

St33lersguy
02-22-2009, 02:53 PM
I hope Mendy does well. It would be awesome to see his best games against the thugbirds and to watch him make a fool out of that overrated fraud Terrell Thugs. I hope he and Willie heal and can make the running game go and the Steelers nearly unbeatable

tony hipchest
02-22-2009, 03:11 PM
2 things-

willie and rashard running up the backs of the o-line.

is it possible the line is getting pushed backwards and into the running lanes? i think so.

willie and rahards fumblitis. remember when willie had fumble peroblems? i think he lost 1 ball last year. it has been cleared up. rashard had just 3 fumbles in a steelers jersey (im pretty sure) and all were in pre-season. that will be worked on and fixed.

Preacher
02-22-2009, 03:27 PM
2 things-

willie and rashard running up the backs of the o-line.

is it possible the line is getting pushed backwards and into the running lanes? i think so.

willie and rahards fumblitis. remember when willie had fumble peroblems? i think he lost 1 ball last year. it has been cleared up. rashard had just 3 fumbles in a steelers jersey (im pretty sure) and all were in pre-season. that will be worked on and fixed.

I absolutely agree with you. Matter of fact, I expect it to be cleared up.

I was just tempering the praise of Mendy as the next Jerome Bettis.

steel striker
02-22-2009, 03:27 PM
I think Mendy has alot of promise and, I know he will want to prove this year big since the thugs put him out for the year. I'm sold that he is the bif power back that were looking for but, I think he is a great change of pace back for Willie. Time will tell.

steel striker
02-22-2009, 03:28 PM
opps I'm wanted to say I'm not sold on him being that power back that we are looking for.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-22-2009, 03:42 PM

Preacher!!!!

It is going to take me some time to get used to your new avatar.....Everytime I see the Orange and Black I expect to read some Bengal Troll ramblings!!!!!

Preacher
02-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Preacher!!!!

It is going to take me some time to get used to your new avatar.....Everytime I see the Orange and Black I expect to read some Bengal Troll ramblings!!!!!

:rofl:

Me too, believe it or not! I HATE the thing... but hey, we gotta hope!

Steelcitygal87
02-22-2009, 04:03 PM

Okay, apparently I need to clear something up. I NEVER once said, in ANY of my posts...that I thought Mendenhall would enjoy the same success as Jerome. I never said he was the next Jerome. What I said was....he reminds me OF Jerome. That is my opinion having observed both of them in college. I can see similarities between their styles of running, and how they are built. That is ALL I meant. Just as scouts do during the draft...comparing a college kid to a pro player...pointing out similarities..etc..Last year is an example...Mel Kiper said he saw some Big Ben qualities in Joe Flacco. He didn't necessarily mean that Joe would be the next Ben. Please don't read into my posts more than what was there.

tony hipchest
02-22-2009, 04:27 PM
brandon jacobs dont even remind me of jerome (other than their girth).

jerome was a once in a lifetime back.

top 10 draft pick and as intelligent as one could hope for.

earl campbell (+) body with barry sanders feet.

mendenhall reminds me more of steven jackson (which is alright by me :thumbsup:)

last years 1st 2 rounds produced some good backs such as stewart, johnson, slaton, and forte. i think mendenhall will fall right in line.

nfl network ranked the top 10 performances of everyone at the 08 combine and mendenhall came in at #8.

he's got the skillz.

Me too, believe it or not! I HATE the thing... but hey, we gotta hope!

"can no lose in 09"

Steelcitygal87
02-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Here is a Q&A regarding what Bruce Arians had to say about Rashard Mendenhall, right before the start of the season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/10916468

Hapa
02-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Needs to put his head down more often and just hit somebody. Always trying to juke people at 220 lbs doesn't always work.that was prob the rookie in him.. they are alway ancy at the beginning.... prob would of gotten over it if he did not get injured

He played like that in college, and it worked because the guys at the college level are no where close to NFL.

Steeldude
02-22-2009, 05:53 PM
the question i have about him now is can he take tackles in the NFL without getting hurt? hopefully it was just a fluke injury.

tony hipchest
02-27-2009, 01:29 PM
mendenhall was just on sirius. he said that right after the superbowl was when his season (next season) started.

he has remained in pittsburgh and is training and getting ready.

just figured this little bit of news is good news in light of some of the negative things that have been said about him.

Steelman16
02-27-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm thinking Mendy's building his own Willie Parker Chip On My Shoulder.

I'm looking forward to seeing much more of this kid.

Sharkissle29
02-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Uh.......How many kids has Ray Lewis made cry? Yeah. Exactly :popcorn:.

To be fair, it wasn't necessarily a very violent hit....

Sharkissle29
02-27-2009, 02:08 PM
mendenhall was just on sirius. he said that right after the superbowl was when his season (next season) started.

he has remained in pittsburgh and is training and getting ready.

just figured this little bit of news is good news in light of some of the negative things that have been said about him.

this is good news. for whatever reason i feel his heart isn't in football, to be honest i dont even know why. maybe it was the stories that he wasnt really hanging out too much in pittsburgh during the season/playoffs etc. but this shows he is committed to getting better so i like it. :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
02-27-2009, 02:35 PM
this is good news. for whatever reason i feel his heart isn't in football, to be honest i dont even know why. :i think i know why. many people are intimidated because he has interrests other than football, like writing sonnetts, music, and taking long walks with his gf. :noidea:

Steelman16
02-27-2009, 02:41 PM
i think i know why. many people are intimidated because he has interrests other than football, like writing sonnetts, music, and taking long walks with his gf. :noidea:

:toofunny:

lilyoder6
02-27-2009, 03:14 PM
just keep on keeping on mendy.. get the power.. lol

SteelMember
02-27-2009, 03:31 PM
i think i know why. many people are intimidated because he has interrests other than football, like writing sonnetts, music, and taking long walks with his gf. :noidea:

Hey, that's not football.

He's a Bum....and He sucks!* :wink02:

tony hipchest
04-18-2009, 06:30 PM
just an update, since i still read a bunch of mendenhall doubters.

mendenhall has been a regular on sirius since the sb, talking about his workouts, expectations, and of course his brother.

its obvious football is important to him and his family. he talked a bit friday about embracing his special team duties last year before he got hurt.

he is excited for the season because it is a 5 year dream of being a player in the making.

what ive seen from most of these sirius guest who are able to commit on a weekly or so, basis for something they dont even get paid for is that they are dedicated to obligations and live, breath and sleep football.

thats what i get from listening to rashard. since we dont see him everyday on tv, i thought i'd share.

i think hes better than any back entering the draft this year, and just as good as any in the past few.

remember when cadillac williams was the cats meow? everyone forgets that was essentially willie parkers rookies season too. had he not actually redshirted his rookie year, willie woulda won the offensive rookie of the year award and not cadillac. instead he won a ring.

my semi-bold prediction is that rashard out performs any rookie rb in this years class.

ShutDown24
04-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Mendy will be getting the bulk of the carries by mid season.

lilyoder6
04-18-2009, 09:07 PM
mendy just keep on doing squat cleans.. and he'll be a horse..

groundhogday
04-18-2009, 09:18 PM
I think Mendenhall is going to run wild this year. By mid season, he'll get the bulk of the carries if not sooner. He's going to restore the dominant running attack even with our weak O-line which will be improved this year and facing inferior defenses.

Galax Steeler
04-19-2009, 07:38 AM
I can't wait to watch him this year. I believe he will get us back to our running game and hopefully bring a new demention to the team.

GBMelBlount
04-19-2009, 08:40 AM
I think Mendy has great potential and nothing would make me happier than seeing him have a breakout year......but unless there is marked improvement in o-line and he gets A LOT of touches, I don't see him having a huge year.

We'll see.....

BehindSteelCurtain
04-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Mendenhall sucks! Cut him.

steelerdave1969
04-19-2009, 12:26 PM
I have also heard some of the chats with Rashard on sirius radio, and I for sure love what I am hearing from the guy. He doesnt sound like a rookie to me either, and that is pretty much what he will be in '09.
But I also agree that if our offensive line doesnt Improve Drastically over last years line... there is still no hope for any of our backs to have a great year in '09. It doesnt really matter to me anymore who the starting RB is as long as the offensiveline will perform and give them better and bigger holes to run through.

stlrtruck
04-20-2009, 08:24 AM
I have also heard some of the chats with Rashard on sirius radio, and I for sure love what I am hearing from the guy. He doesnt sound like a rookie to me either, and that is pretty much what he will be in '09.
But I also agree that if our offensive line doesnt Improve Drastically over last years line... there is still no hope for any of our backs to have a great year in '09. It doesnt really matter to me anymore who the starting RB is as long as the offensiveline will perform and give them better and bigger holes to run through.

If our O-line doesn't improve then our only hope at running back would be if Barry Sanders himself comes out of retirement. He's the only RB I've seen that could run behind a poor O-line.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-20-2009, 10:20 AM
I think you guys are gonna be pleasantly surprised by Mendenhall this season.

I have a hunch that our O line is gonna look like Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Mack, Colon...........and I like the prospects of running behind Hartwig, Mack and Colon, with Kemo pulling occasionally. :thumbsup:

lilyoder6
04-20-2009, 10:29 AM
i think he was running pretty good last yr b4 he got hurt and was placed on the ir..

paw-n-maul-u
04-20-2009, 10:37 AM
I see something like 150-200 carries with just a hair under 1000 yards and a handful of TD's. The year after that, he should be the guy.

I just hope he can stay healthy

steelreserve
04-20-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't know how anyone can have an actual opinion about Mendenhall based on the what, 15 minutes of serious football he's played in the NFL? About all you could realistically have is cautious optimism based on his potential.

The Duke
04-20-2009, 03:37 PM
I don't know how anyone can have an actual opinion about Mendenhall based on the what, 15 minutes of serious football he's played in the NFL? About all you could realistically have is cautious optimism based on his potential.

at least he's not willie right? :wink02:

steelreserve
04-20-2009, 04:27 PM
at least he's not willie right? :wink02:

What, did I say something that possibly made it seem like I was anything less than a die-hard supporter of Parker? I guess it's the little subtleties that can really give the wrong impression. :chuckle:

SteelersTilIDie
04-20-2009, 04:52 PM
he's a budding star and I just can't wait for him to be healthy

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-20-2009, 07:20 PM

WHAT?!?!?!?.............this is the official season of having opinions of guys that have never played a down of NFL football before. :chuckle: Cant we have our fun??

Last year I said Stewart, Mendenhall and Forte would be the best NFL running backs, and McFadden is Reggie Bush lite of a bust and Chris Johnson is just a speedster that cant run between the tackles..............so far I look like 3 right, 1 wrong and 1 incomplete. I hope Rush-hard makes me 4-1. :thumbsup: