mesaSteeler
02-22-2009, 10:15 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_612919.html#

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Numbered days for Steelers' Washington

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, February 22, 2009

What Nate Washington wants isn't important right now.

It's only natural that Washington wants to remain with the Steelers, the team that nurtured him as an undrafted free agent from Division II Tiffin.

Washington has won two Super Bowls in his four seasons with the Steelers. He's close enough to his hometown of Toledo, Ohio, to schedule visits there during the season.

It's a good life.

A good life that should become even better with the beginning of unrestricted free agency Friday. With that in mind, Washington is preparing for life after the Steelers.

"Nate had a great run in Pittsburgh. If his final game has been played there, so be it,'' said Thomas Tafelski, who represents Washington.

Tafelski is resigned to the fact that Washington, considered one of the top free agent receivers, will be moving on.

"None," Tafelski said when asked about the status of Washington's negotiations with the Steelers.

"I would have thought they would have reached out. We spoke briefly at the Super Bowl."

If the Steelers don't sign Washington before Friday, he won't be back.

If Washington is smart, he won't look back. Why should he? He's a marketable commodity in a year when the talent pool for free-agent receivers is shallow, and teams such as Tennessee are looking for playmakers with the ability to go deep.

Ironically, the very thing that worked in Washington's favor during his tenure with the Steelers — cheap labor — will work against him entering free agency.

Washington wasn't drafted, so he didn't cost as much to develop. Among the players ahead of him on the depth chart, veteran Hines Ward is on the books for $5.8 million next season. The Steelers also made a significant investment in Limas Sweed, last year's second-round draft pick.

Washington produced his best pro season in 2008 with career highs in receptions (40) and yards (631). His 15.8-yard average led the team.

Twenty-six of Washington's catches resulted in first downs. Nine of those receptions were on third down.

"Nate's going to appeal to teams looking for vertical speed and big-play ability. There's not that many guys like that out there," said former NFL team executive Michael Lombardi of NationalFootballPost.com

"It's economics and timing. It's going to be who wants him and who's willing to compete for him." Lombardi said. "Nate's talent matches what Tennessee is looking for. They're looking for a guy on the outside who can make big plays. He's got the speed to create problems."

And the ability to get paid — with or without the Steelers.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Galax Steeler
02-22-2009, 11:35 AM
That says it all, it is all about money who can pay the most.

KeiselPower99
02-22-2009, 11:59 AM
He is wanting to cash in and honestly who can blame him?? Sad thing is he will probably turn into Yancey Thigpen and never be heard of again.

Fire Haley
02-22-2009, 12:01 PM
How many more Nate threads do we need?

Until last year - nobody liked him.

Poor Stone Hands finally found a fanclub, now he's gonna leave?

Our great #3 WR tradition carries on....

Cedric Wilson
Nate the great

Dallas Baker - come on down!

lilyoder6
02-22-2009, 12:09 PM
haha.. the titans can throw all the money they want at him.. but u know he is good for a good amount of dropped passes

devilsdancefloor
02-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Be honest with yourself if you where ihn the NFL geting paid minimum or little above. you have been inthe legue for 4 years and have won 2 super bowls what else is there to get out of your career but money? I hate yo see him go as i hate to see any steeler leave, but you cant blame him!

MACH1
02-22-2009, 01:04 PM
SWEEEEED :chuckle:

lilyoder6
02-22-2009, 02:04 PM
if washington does go... i think sweed will be a good number 3 for us next yr.. and we can always pick up a wr via the draft or FA to be number 4...

bratsinmybelly
02-22-2009, 02:18 PM
He's got the rings.......now he needs to focus on putting away enough money to be comfortable for the rest of his life after football. Can't blame the guy one bit......

steelreserve
02-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Well, have fun on the Raiders. They always overpay so-so receivers. Especially if they won a Super Bowl, much less two. We shouldn't miss a beat as long as Sweed gets over his jitters.

BlastFurnace
02-22-2009, 04:32 PM
I'll miss Nate, and we may go through some more growing pains with Sweed...but...in the long run...Sweed will be the better receiver.

OX1947
02-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Its a good sign that the Steelers are looking at the fact that Holmes will need to be resigned next year, Sweed is the next guy in line and that Hines Ward might sign one last contract to end his career as a steeler.

HometownGal
02-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Though I'd be happy if the Steelers could find a way to keep Nate, it doesn't look like it's gonna happen. Some team will overpay for him as the Skins did with Randle El and he'll fade into obscurity, sadly.

Thanks Nate and best of luck to ya! :drink:

lilyoder6
02-22-2009, 07:15 PM
and there are a lot of teams out there that need a wr.. and nate sadly enough, looks like the best FA wr...

Rick5895
02-22-2009, 08:33 PM
SWEEEEED :chuckle:

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!

BehindSteelCurtain
02-22-2009, 10:15 PM
I'll be sad to see him go because I have seen his improvement from his rookie year to now. he has really made a name for himself.

WarriorScholar
02-22-2009, 10:37 PM
I really don't think he has made a name for himself. I see him as being like David Givens and David Patten. Getting rings with the patriots and then big contracts from other teams, then did nothing. I do wish Nate the best, but unless he goes to a great team, with a great QB, we won't do anything worth talking about.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Nate deserves a good deal, he played here as a great role player. Despite some drops he made some key plays when needed. I think he will go on and put up better numbers than Randall el did. Doubt his contract will be for that ridiuclous amount, but I would think 15-18mill over 4-5 years is what someone will toss at him.

Bring on Sweed.

WarriorScholar
02-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Nate deserves a good deal, he played here as a great role player. Despite some drops he made some key plays when needed. I think he will go on and put up better numbers than Randall el did. Doubt his contract will be for that ridiuclous amount, but I would think 15-18mill over 4-5 years is what someone will toss at him.

Bring on Sweed.

EL has done well for the Skins. And I'm sure Nate will get something worth more than 3 mil a year . Which he doesn't deserve. Not that I mind seeing him get it. He did make some key plays for us , but you know a guy really isn't that important when people are just wishing him the best lol...if it was Holmes would we be saying thanks for your time in Pitt, hope you get a good deal somewhere? lol no. When the great players on our team are entering FA we are hoping we do everything we can to sign them.

MasterOfPuppets
02-22-2009, 11:35 PM
EL has done well for the Skins. And I'm sure Nate will get something worth more than 3 mil a year . Which he doesn't deserve. Not that I mind seeing him get it. He did make some key plays for us , but you know a guy really isn't that important when people are just wishing him the best lol...if it was Holmes would we be saying thanks for your time in Pitt, hope you get a good deal somewhere? lol no. When the great players on our team are entering FA we are hoping we do everything we can to sign them. i think you better go look at his stats before making statements like that....believe me...skin fans are pretty disappointed, considering the money he's getting paid.

http://www.nfl.com/players/antwaanrandleel/careerstats?id=RAN399604

WarriorScholar
02-22-2009, 11:40 PM
I said done well...didn't say he was worth the money. Players are never really worth their contracts these days are they? Except on the Steelers of course, we are the exception. It's so great to have our team not overpay hyped up players . But yeah, he's done well. Meaning he's still starting...he's not off the team , didn't get released a few years later like many other WR's that got paid a lot ...I gave the example...David Patten and David Givens

By the way, those are pretty good stats for not having a passing game. All they do is run the ball...and don't have a great QB. What do you want him to have? Randy Moss stats? You tell me to look at stats...well I would rather watch the games and evaluate. I think that's better, yes?

SunshineMan21
02-22-2009, 11:46 PM
I think by any measure Randle El has been a disappointment as a receiver in Washington . . . they do in fact throw quite a bit--Chris Cooley is just a more reliable receiver, and Santana Moss is more explosive.

As for Washington, it was pretty clear that with Sweed waiting in the rings he can get more money elsewhere. Best of luck to him--he was a quality role player--but I don't think this will hurt the team, and hopefully it will allow us to keep BMac.

WarriorScholar
02-22-2009, 11:56 PM
well there is no reason to get into a debate about the other washington( skins) ...that wasn't my intention. Was just saying EL has done well and is STILL a starter. A bit under 60 receptions the last two seasons isn't bad for their style of offense. And like you said, with Cooley getting most of the catches. Skins overpaid EL because of what he did in the superbowl. We all know that. They overpay everyone.

By the way, we will not be keeping BMac either. He will get a huge contract somewhere. Would you want him for Hayden type of money?

Michael Keller
02-23-2009, 06:28 AM
Sweed will make us forget about Washington. Go get McFadden.

lilyoder6
02-23-2009, 08:23 AM
the only good thing, would be that nate could take his ugly ass haircut to another team

Curtain_of_Steel
02-23-2009, 09:30 AM
El's stats since leaving the Steelers below. He signed a 7 year deal, for 31mm, with 11.5mill signing bonus. I do agree with Warrior, he received the deal because of the SB and the skins are fools.
I'm new here, but from reading the posts, if he was here making that kind of coin, you guys would run him out of town, lol. Steelers as usual, knew when to not fight for a player. Nate will probably go on to have a little better career than El, but I don't see him as a block buster signing or bigtime stats going forward, but 3mill plus will be what he gets.

Nate benefited from Ward and the matchups that were demanded to cover him, and contain Holmes, he is going to garner top 2 cover. He will find only the cash is greener on the other side which I do not begrudge him from taking.

http://www.nfl.com/players/antwaanrandleel/profile?id=RAN399604

Steelcitygal87
02-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Just how good is Nate Washington?

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/02/12/just-how-good-is-nate-washington/

Nate Washington has always been a enigma to Steelers fans. Some (like me) have always had a (maybe unhealthy) fascination with his big-play ability. Other Steelers fans have been constantly frustrated by his tendency to drop passes.

But as big a Washington fan as I am, I have to admit that I was surprised to see that Mike Lombardi's free agent rankings. According to Lombardi, Washington is the second-best free agent receiver available, topped only by Antonio Bryant. To Lombardi, T.J. Houshmandzadeh rates below Washington.

As Lombardi says:

"This is a diamond in the rough. I know he drops too many balls, but he has great vertical speed and has significantly improved as a player. He would be perfect for the Titans."

Admittedly it's not a great free agent class of wide receivers, but if many people in the game think like Lombardi, then Washington is long gone from Pittsburgh--the Steelers can't pay him starter receiver money to be their No. 3 receiver.

But NFL teams need to know what they are getting. If a team is looking for a solid No. 2 receiver who can get deep on most anyone, then Washington would be a great acquisition. But Washington's hands are not consistent enough to be a No. 1 receiver, and he's not nearly as comfortable moving the chains on slant routes as he is at running a fly route.

Washington's catch percentage (percentage of catches on passes thrown his way) according to Football Outsiders was 51 percent this year. It was 52 percent last year and 51 percent in 2006, so it's safe to say that Washington usually catches about half the passes thrown his way, which is one of the worst percentages in the league. Partly that's because Washington runs a lot of deep routes, but it's also because of his questionable hands.

Think of him as an Alvin Harper. When Harper was with Michael Irvin, he was a very productive player as a deep threat that took some attention away from Irvin, but when the Buccaneers tried to make him into a No. 1 receiver, he was a big-time bust. I'd be shocked if any team out there thinks that Washington can be a No. 1, so maybe he will fit for a team like Tennessee where he could give a big-play spark that was lacking.

But if you're looking for a reliable option, it's hard to see him being more valuable than Houshmandzadeh. While Houshmandzadeh is older than Washington and may be starting to head into the downside of his career, he can serve as the man who can make the tough catch on third down. And he's had over 900 yards in each of the past five seasons--Washington has never had more than 630 yards in a season.

Both will be good pickups for somebody, but the team that gets Washington has to know his strengths.

---------

Did hear a rumor that the Titans are interested in him.

AllD
02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Colts are looking for a receiver now too.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Washington will be playing for DAAAA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS... next season.

Just my prediction

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-23-2009, 02:46 PM
and i just felt like saying "DA BEARS" :chuckle:

steelerchad
02-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Nate played well this season. He had his best season by far and it was perfect timing for his free agent year. He'll get paid more by someone who needs him more.
He was a nice #3 this year, but it's Sweed's turn. You don't spend a #2 pick on a receiver and let him sit for a second straight year. Not to mention the dead money sitting on the bench.

They have to see if Sweed can play this year, so if he can't they can prepare for Ward's departure. Sweed will be #3 this year, but in 3 more years he'll be expected to step up with Holmes as our every down starting receivers. Better to find out now if he can't do the job than to wait until Ward's gone.

Similar situation to Foote's position next year. You can't let Timmons sit another year after spending alot of money and a first round pick on him. Although, in the brief times we've seen Timmons he looks like he will be an upgrade over Foote.

You have to mix in youth with more raw talent at some point and hope the few mistakes they make while learning doesn't kill you.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-23-2009, 03:11 PM
You can't let Timmons sit another year after spending alot of money and a first round pick on him. Although, in the brief times we've seen Timmons he looks like he will be an upgrade over Foote.

The only card that Foote has over Timmons is" Experience" which Timmons can only gain if they start him more!!!:doh:

The kid is fast as lightening when he reacts to the ball carrier. Example, Chargers playoff game , he hawked down speedy darren sproles.

Im with you man, Timmons is definately going to be an upgrade :drink:

Fire Haley
02-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Timmons needs to show he can stuff the run - till then he's just a nickle and dime guy.

Speed isn't important when you have to stick your nose in there and fight off guards and tackles at the LOS. That's what Foote is best at, doing the dirty work, getting bloody at the bottom of the pile.

Cordlisberger
02-23-2009, 03:34 PM
I would love to see nate stay but Sweed can be a bigger impact in the long run

Curtain_of_Steel
02-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Timmons needs to show that he can stuff the run? Timmons played the majority of the SB downs. Last I checked they rushed for a paltry 33 yards? He may have been a top 2 in tackles for the team as well. I'll roll the dice with Timmons.
Sorry Footes time has past only because someone being paid more and who has more talent is waiting to take over. Foote can probably still play very well, but Timmons is the future and Footes money can be spent better elsehwere. Hopefully the Steelers stick to the mold that got them here and let Foote go.

Phoenixus
02-23-2009, 04:50 PM
I have to agree with the person who said Washington's come a long way since his rookie days.

He really wasn't worth anything to begin with, but now he actually is. Little by little you can see him developing into something worthwhile.

Do I think he's going to be a superstar somewhere else? Nope, but he's pretty obscure anyway unless you're a Steelers fan who can name 3rd and 4th string recievers on a team.

He's actually getting to be pretty good so he does have a shot now at a number 2 slot on some team and may be pretty good. He's never going to have one here so long as Ward and Holmes are playing.

He's got his rings, now he just needs money and a shot at full time starter, which he'll never have in Pittsburgh.

steeltheone
02-23-2009, 06:48 PM
They have to see if Sweed can play this year, so if he can't they can prepare for Ward's departure. Sweed will be #3 this year, but in 3 more years he'll be expected to step up with Holmes as our every down starting receivers. Better to find out now if he can't do the job than to wait until Ward's gone.

He better step up alot sooner than 3 years

mesaSteeler
02-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Could Titans make run at Steelers free agent receiver?
By: Terry McCormick, tmccormick@nashvillecitypaper.com
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 4:37 pm

With free agency scheduled to begin on Friday, there are those who believe the Tennessee Titans could and should look there for help at the wide receiver position.

One intriguing player the Titans are believed to have interest in, according to a source, could be Pittsburgh Steelers free agent Nate Washington.

Washington played this season as the Steelers third receiver behind Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes and caught a career-high 40 passes for the Super Bowl champions.

In three seasons with the Steelers, Washington has 104 receptions and averaged 16.4 yards per catch with nine touchdowns.

Other free agent receivers who will hit the unrestricted market include Cincinnati’s T.J. Houshmandzadeh, San Francisco’s Bryant Johnson, the New York Giants’ Amani Toomer and the Titans own pair of free agents Brandon Jones and Justin McCareins.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=66305

Galax Steeler
02-23-2009, 07:22 PM
The player rep for free agent Nate Washington says the Steelers have not expressed interest in retaining his client.
There have been no negotiations. Pittsburgh is poised to move on with Limas Sweed and possibly Dallas Baker behind Santonio Holmes and Hines Ward. Washington, 25, will garner interest as a deep threat with size.

AllD
02-23-2009, 07:34 PM
He needs better hands.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-23-2009, 09:19 PM
The player rep for free agent Nate Washington says the Steelers have not expressed interest in retaining his client.
There have been no negotiations. Pittsburgh is poised to move on with Limas Sweed and possibly Dallas Baker behind Santonio Holmes and Hines Ward. Washington, 25, will garner interest as a deep threat with size.

So true. Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Baker and a rookie (or vet like Mike Furrey) are good enough.

I said 4 years ago that our future WR corps would be Holmes and Washington, but Nate's hands were never as good as his rookie training camp. He's a good WR, but we cant keep all of them. I'd rather they spent the money on Holmes and Miller's next contracts.

WarriorScholar
02-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Could Titans make run at Steelers free agent receiver?
By: Terry McCormick, tmccormick@nashvillecitypaper.com
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 4:37 pm

With free agency scheduled to begin on Friday, there are those who believe the Tennessee Titans could and should look there for help at the wide receiver position.

One intriguing player the Titans are believed to have interest in, according to a source, could be Pittsburgh Steelers free agent Nate Washington.

Washington played this season as the Steelers third receiver behind Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes and caught a career-high 40 passes for the Super Bowl champions.

In three seasons with the Steelers, Washington has 104 receptions and averaged 16.4 yards per catch with nine touchdowns.

Other free agent receivers who will hit the unrestricted market include Cincinnati’s T.J. Houshmandzadeh, San Francisco’s Bryant Johnson, the New York Giants’ Amani Toomer and the Titans own pair of free agents Brandon Jones and Justin McCareins.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=66305

Don't forget Ronald Curry. He was released. And that is who I would love for the Steelers to sign. At a cheap price of course. I'm sure most know about him...6'2, former college QB. But unfortunately for him, spent his career with the Raiders. And despite having horrible Qb's he still put up decent numbers. He was buried on the depth chart last year, and they didn't throw much..and we all know Russell is horrible. So, with that said..it would be great to see Curry in a Steelers uniform. Make it happen

sackmaster56
02-24-2009, 12:03 AM
Nate the great is gone,, thanks for the great years!!! .... we all know the Steelers are not going to keep him $$$$$$. Can you say, Sweeeeeed?? Learning from the past.... trust their judgement.... he goes..& there is always someone else...............

jjpro11
02-24-2009, 02:41 AM
any chance we look at devery henderson? im not sure what kind of money he will command, but he has a 20+ ypc average over his career and is every bit of a deep threat that washington is.

i guess the only reason i would doubt us seriously looking at a player like him is that we could have kept washington for probably the same amount of money.

Galax Steeler
02-24-2009, 04:29 AM
. I'd rather they spent the money on Holmes and Miller's next contracts.

That is exactly what they need to do I see no reason why they shouldn't get these guys locked up for long term.

lilyoder6
02-24-2009, 08:40 AM
i think the steelers could find a good wr in the draft to be the number 4 guy

drew102e
02-24-2009, 03:45 PM
yeah, please dont spend what little cap money they have on a FA WR

lock up who you can and pray no one gets injured

AllD
02-24-2009, 04:36 PM
WRs don't produce at least until their second year. Even Swannie was more of a return man than a WR in his rookie year.

HometownGal
02-24-2009, 04:52 PM
I'd rather they spent the money on Holmes and Miller's next contracts.

I'm with you on that Gonz. Lock 'em up long term. :drink:

AllD
02-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Washington should settle for less money and get a GUARANTEED contract from somebody before he signs a long term deal with a couple of years at the end he will never collect or have to reduce his salary in order to make the roster.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Washington should settle for less money and get a GUARANTEED contract from somebody before he signs a long term deal with a couple of years at the end he will never collect or have to reduce his salary in order to make the roster.

There are no such things as GUARANTEED CONTRACTS in the NFL. That is why guys get a huge signing bonus. That signing bonus money is guaranteed and amortized evenly over the length of the contract.

Its why a guy like Jake Long signs a $57.5million contract, with a $30 million signing bonus. The other $27.5 mil is not owed to him if he gets cut.

Washington will sign something like a 4 year, $15million with a $6 million signing bonus somewhere and become $6mil richer for sure. C ya Nate!!

4xSBChamps
02-25-2009, 06:58 PM
..... seeing as the Pewter Pirates (it's sooo-ghey, I just have to use that name on this forum) today cut Joey Galloway & Ike Hilliard (along with LB Derrick Brooks, LB Cato June, and RB Warrick Dunn), might they be very interested in Nate Washington:
conversely, if Washington goes, might the Stillers be interested in either of them as his replacement?

:popcorn:

tony hipchest
02-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Washington will sign something like a 4 year, $15million with a $6 million signing bonus somewhere and become $6mil richer for sure. C ya Nate!!that sounds about right (and id gamble on it being a bargain if i were the buyer).

adjusted for inflation, thats about or just above the same deal c. wilson and tj houshmandzadeh were offered by the steelers (tj taking less to remain a bung).

i gotta look up galloway and see if he's worthy of a terrence mathis type farewell tour.

lilyoder6
02-25-2009, 08:16 PM
i think that joey galloway would be a good number 3 wr.. he would not have so much wear and tear on his body as a starter.. he still got it when he is healthy

4xSBChamps
02-25-2009, 09:07 PM
i think that joey galloway would be a good number 3 wr.. he would not have so much wear and tear on his body as a starter.. he still got it when he is healthy

'when he is healthy' is the key, and he doesn't like to practice, so I was thinking Hilliard might be something to consider, since a high-percentage of his catches result in 1st downs (I've heard the media here call it '3rd-and-Ike')

zsheik22
02-26-2009, 03:23 PM
'when he is healthy' is the key, and he doesn't like to practice, so I was thinking Hilliard might be something to consider, since a high-percentage of his catches result in 1st downs (I've heard the media here call it '3rd-and-Ike')

haha, 3rd and ike.

JEFF4i
02-26-2009, 03:50 PM
SWEEEEED!

Edman
02-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Some desperate team will overpay for him. They always do.

Phoenixus
02-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Well,

I'm not sure "overpaid" is the word unless you think of him as a #1 guy. He'd probably be a pretty decent #2 receiver on a lot of teams and yeah a good deep threat.

And who knows, if he developes a little more with playing time he might turn into a #1. I doubt he'd be some superstar, but he's actually pretty decent these days. .

Rhee Rhee
02-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Dallas Baker - come on down!

are we forgetting mr.sweed? :doh:

Steelman16
02-26-2009, 11:53 PM
"Word is" that the Lions have entered the Nate Washington sweepstakes and are expected to make a strong run at him once free agency starts.
They're competing with the Rams, Titans, Bucs, and Vikings. Either his agent is doing a great job of increasing Washington's market or these teams are serious about giving him a starting job. The Steelers made no effort to keep him.

-RotoWorld

I'd seriously feel sorry for Nate if he actually went to Detroit.

LukesDad88
02-27-2009, 01:10 AM
are we forgetting mr.sweed? :doh:

Why don't we wait until Mr. Sweed's proven himself. Same with Mr. Baker.

jjpro11
02-27-2009, 01:24 AM
wtf is up with us and the lions? they are interested in mcfadden too. every other year it seems like we sign one of their guys.. this means that leigh bodden will be a steeler next year.. book it. lol

MasterOfPuppets
02-27-2009, 03:34 AM
2:13 a.m. — Report: Nate Washington to visit Lions

Former Steelers wide receiver Nate Washington will visit the Detroit Lions on Friday, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

Washington and Calvin Johnson could form a nice duo for a Lions team that lacks certainty at quarterback. :laughing:

Galax Steeler
02-27-2009, 04:45 AM
Why is everyone wanting to go to Detroit.:noidea:

Jaquila
02-27-2009, 05:14 AM
I believe in Sweed:D

stlrtruck
02-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Why don't we wait until Mr. Sweed's proven himself. Same with Mr. Baker.

What's sad is that Mr. Baker played well during his days at U of F and now all of a sudden it seems he's having a problem holding on to an NFL Football - or maybe it's just me.

Could it be that the talent level in front of him was that much better that he's been relinquished to the practice squad?

GeneralRobinson
02-27-2009, 09:26 AM
What's sad is that Mr. Baker played well during his days at U of F and now all of a sudden it seems he's having a problem holding on to an NFL Football - or maybe it's just me.

Could it be that the talent level in front of him was that much better that he's been relinquished to the practice squad?

It's for a WR to develop when he's no higher than 4 on the depth chart.

HometownGal
02-27-2009, 09:39 AM
I'd seriously feel sorry for Nate if he actually went to Detroit.

Me, too. Seems to be the NFL's graveyard. :tombstone:

Nate is going to take the best deal out there, even if it means playing in Motown.

iceman000123
02-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Nate is a talented receiver no doubt. But him leaving, i don't think will impact us greatly. We still have Sweed to step up if something goes wrong. Of course he's missed a few key passes but thats what training camp is for.

LukesDad88
02-27-2009, 12:49 PM
So what if Nate goes to Detroit? Or Cleveland for that matter? He was an undrafted free agent coming in that seemed likely to be a camp regular at worst, a Special Teamer at best. He worked himself up to a position where he received significant playing time. He was a significant part of our success this year, and earned his Superbowl ring (his second). He did this on a 1.4 Million dollar contract this past year. Now that 1.4 million means he actually made about $650,000, as 60% usually goes to agents and lawyers. 650,000 after taxes will work out to the neighborhood of $300K-$350K (I know, not digging ditch money, but not exactly setting you up for life, either). Nate's also the type of talent that could hold onto a roster spot for the next five years, orhe could be out of the league in the next two. He's won his rings, he's earned a solid reputation, now it's time for him toi ensure his future and get that 4 year deal for $14 Mill with a signing bonus. That's right around what he should be making. If the Lions make the offer, good for him and good for them.

Besides, with all of the 1st round receiver busts in Detroit, it would be kind of fun to see an undrafted #3 receiver from another team come in and help turn things around

tony hipchest
02-27-2009, 01:01 PM
typical agent fees are 3% of the contract.

lilyoder6
02-27-2009, 03:39 PM
there look to be several teams who could use a wr like nate.. just be interesting to see which one he picks