PDA

View Full Version : expectations for 2008 rookie class

FearTroy43
02-23-2009, 10:12 AM
what do you think we should expect from the 2008 rookie class? how do you think they will perform next year?

tony hipchest
02-23-2009, 10:16 AM
45 catches from sweed
175 rushes from mendenhall/ 20 receptions
nothing from anyone else.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-23-2009, 10:26 AM
25 tackles from bruce davis via special teams :thumbsup:

stlrtruck
02-23-2009, 10:29 AM
I expect Mendy to push Moore for the second spot (unless it's handed to him instead - which I don't see happening). I also expect that by 2010 Mendy will be battling Parker for at least a share in the starting lineup.

As for Sweed, I expect him to catch the ball more times than not. I also expect him to be a viable option after Washington leaves via FA. I hope he continues to block like he did in the AFCCG.

Most of the others I expect to hold ST roles and the necessary backup roles should our starters become that depleted.

fansince'76
02-23-2009, 10:51 AM
SWEEEEEEEEEED = NFL MVP next year. :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-23-2009, 11:05 AM
45 catches from sweed
175 rushes from mendenhall/ 20 receptions
nothing from anyone else.

This would be great. I also would like to see Davis get Andre Fraziers spot and play some special teams, then maybe get some garbage time at OLB.

I also think Mundy makes the active roster, plays special teams and backs up Clark

Tony Hills is my wildcard to play RT if Colon moves inside. I dont think it will happen, but Hills will make great strides and hopefully at least dress for gameday as the backup OT.

Steeldude
02-23-2009, 12:00 PM
just my guess...

mendenhall - if he remains healthy will have around 150-175 carries.

sweed - if washington is re-signed then his stats won't be very good. if washington goes elsewhere then sweed will have around 30-35 catches.

davis - will could be cut. maybe a special teams' player.

hills - will ride the bench. could be cut. most likely because of an injury.

the rest will be special teams, PS or cut.

Steeldude
02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
I expect Mendy to push Moore for the second spot

it will be handed to mendenhall. he won't need to fight for it.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-23-2009, 01:41 PM
davis - will could be cut. maybe a special teams' player.

I see a lot of upside in Davis . The kid had a absolute beast of a senior year at UCLA

47 tackles, 12.5 , 17.5 tackles for loss .

IMO i think butler will do a good job grooming him to a contributor on the defense.

He was a 3RD round pick(#88) which so far has a been producing great LBs for us.

other 3rd rounder( or greater) LBs that have played for us

Joey porter-3rd round pick
Clark Haggans-5th Rounder
Greg LLoyd- 6th rounder
Kevin Greene- 5th Rounder
Larry Foote- 4th rounder
Jason Gildon- 3rd Round Pick # 88 (same exact as Davis)

So ya Im keeping my eye on Davis i think he has potential to crack the starting line up with hard work on special teams and good coaching from Butler:thumbsup:

Go Steelers :tt03:

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-23-2009, 02:05 PM
:doh: HOW COULD I FORGET

James Harrison-Undrafted

Sorry Debo, my bad.

stlrtruck
02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
:doh: HOW COULD I FORGET

James Harrison-Undrafted

Sorry Debo, my bad.

You better be careful, he might pay you a visit tonight for such disrespect! :flap: :sofunny:

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-23-2009, 02:31 PM
You better be careful, he might pay you a visit tonight for such disrespect! :flap: :sofunny:

Im sorry Mr. Harrison . I'm not worthy I'm not worthy! :nw: - waynes world

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Davis never really engaged the blockers in college, he more or less ran around them and persistantly worked his way to the ball.

I like that, but I hope Keith Butler can teach the kid to hit the OT and then make a move. He looked weak and disinterested in the preseason and I hope he is another Clark Haggans instead of Alonzo Jackson.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Davis never really engaged the blockers in college, he more or less ran around them and persistantly worked his way to the ball.

I like that, but I hope Keith Butler can teach the kid to hit the OT and then make a move. He looked weak and disinterested in the preseason and I hope he is another Clark Haggans instead of Alonzo Jackson.

He needs to gain about 20lbs of muscle...no excuse if he starts this next season at the same size....that would be a full year of NFL strength conditioning.

4xSBChamps
02-23-2009, 02:57 PM
HOW COULD I FORGET

James Harrison-Undrafted

Im sorry Mr. Harrison . I'm not worthy I'm not worthy! - waynes world

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200711/20071106pd_steelers1105d_500.jpg

http://www.post-gazette.com/images3/20051225mf_fbn_fan_takedownPJ_450.jpg

http://5goldenrings.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/james-harrison-sticks-it-to-ed-reed.jpg

..... Mrs. Harrison's baby-boy is NOT-amused.....

http://blogs.tampabay.com/superbowl/images/2009/01/28/james_harrison.jpg

..... and he is lookin' fo' a new ho.....

~ The Replacements ~

LukesDad88
02-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Don't forget Bailey. Bailey was our Rookie of the year, with 13 ST tackles and made a huge tackle on the Free Kick after the safety. I think he's going to be a good one to watch in the future.

Davis is a DE converted to outside Linebacker. He better not crack the starting lineup, because if he does, it means Harrison or Woodley is out.

Mendenhall will get more carries next season. I see a 65-35 split with Parker getting the 65.

Sweed I would like to see come on big. I hated the drop in AFCCG. But I hated the "injury" timeout even more. Not a smart move at all. He did redeem himself a little in the second half.

Davis, again, a special teamer. If he does well in that role this year, there could be interesting trade possibilities.

Hills I don't even know what happened with this guy. Anybody?

Dixon may just end up the #2 QB.

Humpal on special teams.

Mundy???? Anybody see anything of the kid?

There were some undrafted free agents that are worth keeping an eye on, besides Bailey.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-23-2009, 03:19 PM
He needs to gain about 20lbs of muscle...no excuse if he starts this next season at the same size....that would be a full year of NFL strength conditioning.

I agree. I just wanted to see the kid show some heart and win a job covering kicks. In the last preseason game he had chances to make tackles, but he chased down the ballcarrier with all the intensity of Casey Hampton chasing the salad bar guy.

Davis played in the preseason with about 1/3 the intensity of Donovan Woods or Patrick Bailey. That is the only thing that scares me about him right now. Rookies are expected to make mistakes, but they are expected to try.

KeiselPower99
02-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Tony Hills starting RT.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Tony Hills starting RT.

I hope you are right. :thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
02-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Tony Hills starting RT.

I would love to see him come out and be part of the line for this year.