PDA

View Full Version : NFL from the sidelines - Free agency getting close

mesaSteeler
02-24-2009, 06:27 AM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/02/free-agency-getting-close.html

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Free agency getting close
With free agency just a couple of days away, talks are heating up between the Steelers and some of their unsigned players.

Others, however, see the writing on the wall.

There has been no contact between the Steelers and offensive tackle Marvel Smith, something that's not surprising if you read my story on Kevin Colbert just after the Super Bowl.

The Steelers, who know more about Smith's injury history than anybody, think his career may be over.

That may or not be the case, but the Steelers are moving on.

There has also been little contact with wide receiver Nate Washington.

After placing the franchise tag on left tackle Max Starks, the Steelers saw nearly half of the $20 million in free cap space they had available eaten up.

They'll also have to keep enough money free to tender offers to their restricted free agents right tackle Willie Colon being the biggest one.

Posted by Dale Lolley at 1:42 AM

lilyoder6
02-24-2009, 07:29 AM
good article... good talks are heating up with some players

jev7452
02-24-2009, 10:51 AM
anybody have the off season schedule?? i saw it on here a couple weeks ago but cant find it now

BlastFurnace
02-24-2009, 10:58 AM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/02/free-agency-getting-close.html

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Free agency getting close
With free agency just a couple of days away, talks are heating up between the Steelers and some of their unsigned players.

Others, however, see the writing on the wall.

There has been no contact between the Steelers and offensive tackle Marvel Smith, something that's not surprising if you read my story on Kevin Colbert just after the Super Bowl.

The Steelers, who know more about Smith's injury history than anybody, think his career may be over.

That may or not be the case, but the Steelers are moving on.

There has also been little contact with wide receiver Nate Washington.

After placing the franchise tag on left tackle Max Starks, the Steelers saw nearly half of the $20 million in free cap space they had available eaten up.

They'll also have to keep enough money free to tender offers to their restricted free agents right tackle Willie Colon being the biggest one.

Posted by Dale Lolley at 1:42 AM

The Steelers need to get on with things with getting Max done and getting that cap hit lower for this season. I liked the tagging of Max, but we need to get this done soon.

revefsreleets
02-24-2009, 11:43 AM
No contact with Washington, huh? That's a little surprising.

My guess is (based on nothing but a hunch) is that they pick up a value FA, NOT a TJ-type, more like a Devery Henderson?

lilyoder6
02-24-2009, 11:58 AM
No contact with Washington, huh? That's a little surprising.

My guess is (based on nothing but a hunch) is that they pick up a value FA, NOT a TJ-type, more like a Devery Henderson?

devery is a nate washington type player... but much much faster... i wouldn't mind that.. unless they saw someone at the combine they think they could get around thh 5 rd

Sharkissle29
02-24-2009, 02:36 PM
devery is pretty good. i think too good for us, i think he'll want a little too much money