PDA

View Full Version : Worst Ever Steelers Starting QB?

steelerdave1969
02-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Just throw out some names and lets have some fun..

My worst ever Steelers Starting QB would have to be Mark Malone
His Career Stats speak for themselves...

Comp. %

TD's - INT's
60 - 81

Career Rating

Best Season As A Starter Win and Loss Wise
W-L
6-8

I did find one person that had a worst TD to INT than him, a guy named
Warren Heller from 1934-36 had these numbers
TD's-INT's
2 - 24

fansince'76
02-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Gotta agree with Malone, at least in my lifetime. He was horrible. Maddox and Stewart were future HOFers compared to Malone. Malone went beyond merely sucking. Pick any negative adjective imaginable to describe a shitty QB, and it fit Malone.

HometownGal
02-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Gotta agree with Malone, at least in my lifetime. He was horrible. Maddox and Stewart were future HOFers compared to Malone. Malone went beyond merely sucking. Pick any negative adjective imaginable to describe a shitty QB, and it fit Malone.

I'd have to go with Malone, too. A lot of people would say Kent Graham, but I think Malone has him beat hands down.

BlastFurnace
02-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Mark Malone

Chuck Noll must have been a fan of Tom Selleck or something. Malone was horrible. He skipped more passes in the dirt than Kordell ever did.

I remember when the Steelers drafted Bubby Brister. I was so excited that we might finally see the end of the Malone era. Heck, I would have settled for Scott Campbell over Malone.

Indo
02-24-2009, 03:58 PM

Especially since Dan Marino wanted to stay at home and play for the Steelers. I usually agree (eventually) with every decision the Rooneys and front office make regarding the players. But thinking somehow that Malone (and Stoudt) were good enough and passing up Marino was a REALLY BAD DECISION. How many more trophies would be in that case if Dan could've played for his home team?

stillers4me
02-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Egads............I came home from work and saw this thread and thought it was another Ben sucks thread. :doh:

Indo
Just thinking about the 80's makes me shudder....those were the Dark Ages

fansince'76
I'd have to go with Malone, too. A lot of people would say Kent Graham, but I think Malone has him beat hands down.

Remember when he'd throw a pick (often) how he'd come off the field smiling and laughing about it? Boy, did that use to burn my ass! :mad:

Indo
02-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Ben's Awesome

Malone Sucked

the Bungles REALLY suck

Stlrs4Life
02-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Remember how when he threw a pick (often) how he'd come off the field smiling and laughing about it? Boy, did that use to burn my ass! :mad:

My brother would be the same, he would get pissed when he seen him smiling.

fansince'76
02-24-2009, 04:14 PM
How many more trophies would be in that case if Dan could've played for his home team?

At least 2 (we would have gotten past the Chargers in the AFCCG and gone on to beat the Niners in '94 and the Cowboys in '95 with Marino under center, and I'll go to my grave believing that) and probably 3 (see 1997). With Marino, WE would have been the team of the '90s, not Dallas.

Indo
02-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Then again Dan never won the Big One :wink:

Yes, but I have to wonder what he would have done with the rest of the team around him....

maybe nothing
maybe added some rings

ANYTHING would have been better than Malone

TheWarDen86
02-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Didn't someone try to drive into Three Rivers to run Malone over?

Malone.

fansince'76
02-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Yes, but I have to wonder what he would have done with the rest of the team around him....

maybe nothing
maybe added some rings

ANYTHING would have been better than Malone

He singlehandedly took a team without a running game or a defense to a SB (which is why his team got absolutely waxed in that SB). He would have won multiple rings in Pittsburgh, there's not a doubt in my mind.

steelerdave1969
02-24-2009, 04:41 PM
At least 2 (we would have gotten past the Chargers in the AFCCG and gone on to beat the Niners in '94 and the Cowboys in '95 with Marino under center, and I'll go to my grave believing that) and probably 3 (see 1997). With Marino, WE would have been the team of the '90s, not Dallas.

I like the way Dan Marino passed the football and all, but he was not a Steelers type QB in my opinion. While he had a great offensive line in front of him he was great, but when he got a little pressure on him he pretty much got happy feet terribly. His last few years he was scared to death he was gonna get hit and that made him not as good as the early years.
I really think if Neil O'Donnell would have stayed in Pittsburgh we would have won atleast 1 or 2 more super bowl tittles I think, we had a good team and a decent enough offense around him to have won alot more games.
I always love Bubby Brister and wished he would have done better, but those years were marred by bad draft picks like RB Tim Worley and OT Tom Ricketts etc.

fansince'76
02-24-2009, 04:46 PM
I like the way Dan Marino passed the football and all, but he was not a Steelers type QB in my opinion. While he had a great offensive line in front of him he was great, but when he got a little pressure on him he pretty much got happy feet terribly. His last few years he was scared to death he was gonna get hit and that made him not as good as the early years.
I really think if Neil O'Donnell would have stayed in Pittsburgh we would have won atleast 1 or 2 more super bowl tittles I think, we had a good team and a decent enough offense around him to have won alot more games.
I always love Bubby Brister and wished he would have done better, but those years were marred by bad draft picks like RB Tim Worley and OT Tom Ricketts etc.

Marino made his WRs better, had a lightning-quick release which more than compensated for his lack of mobility and he was a better pure passer than anyone currently in the league now. He would have made our offense 10 times better on his own. O'Donnell was a journeyman QB playing on an otherwise championship-caliber team, and that is why we fell short in '94 and '95. It's also why O'Donnell didn't do jack anywhere else.

Steelers & I
02-24-2009, 04:49 PM
He singlehandedly took a team without a running game or a defense to a SB (which is why his team got absolutely waxed in that SB). He would have won multiple rings in Pittsburgh, there's not a doubt in my mind.

I agree. Although as you've already pointed out, it probably wouldn't have happened until Cowher took over. I'll also give them a shot to win it all in 1989 if Marino was under center. The 89 Steelers were a decent bunch. Hell they would have played the Browns for the AFC Championship if not for the Hoge fumble late in the game versus Denver. :banging:

OneForTheToe
02-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Malone was not a very good Qb. Similarly, I too hated his smug demenor . That said, the worst starting QB in all of Steelers' history? Have we forgotten Cliff Stout? How about all of those pre-70's teams?

FWIIW, Malone did throw for 10,000 yards. In addition, in 1984 we beat the eventual Super Bowl Champion 49's in San Fran and made the AFC Championship game under Malone. You could say we did much of that inspite of Malone and I wouldn't argue. Still, I don't think you accomplish those things with the worst starting QB in Steelers' history - just not a very good one.

CPanther95
02-24-2009, 05:01 PM
'83 Draft kills me in hindsight - although fans of the majority of the 25 other teams that passed on Marino feel the same way. Many probably worse, since they can point to multiple great players picked after them.

Look at the Eagles. They selected Michael Haddix one slot ahead of Bruce Matthews and multiple slots ahead of 3 other HoFers including not only Marino, but Jim Kelly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_NFL_Draft

Steelers & I
02-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Malone SUCKED, that's for sure but most of those 80's Steelers teams SUCKED as a whole. I remember shopping for Steelers jerseys from the mid to late 80's. As I recall, there were ONLY a Woodson and a Brister jersey available to the out of market Steelers fan for about 7 years running. Not many star players on those teams.

Back to the point of the thread. I'm going to go with Kordell Stewart as my choice. Yeah Malone was horrible but man, Kordell had some talented teammates around him and yet he still sucked. His absolute worst performances occurred during playoff games, the dude simply choked big time in those games . Many fans get caught up with Stewarts' slash role during his rookie season. Sure, he was exciting to watch that rookie season but all in all, he was in my opinion the worst QB to ever start for the Steelers.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Man, you guys are all fickle. I remember a good run in 1984 with Malone at the helm and missing the super bowl by 1 game. Malone wasnt that bad.

Kent Graham never did that. I could almost put David Woodley in the same category.

1984 AFC Championship Game
Friday, November 9, 2007
Too much Marino ends ‘nice’ season

By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

It had overcome the unexpected retirement of Terry Bradshaw in the offseason following surgery on his right elbow that management had known nothing about. It had dealt with the training camp holdout and subsequent release of Franco Harris. Cliff Stoudt, who had started 15 regular season games in 1983 while Bradshaw nursed his elbow, had signed with the USFL.

Then during the season, there was some instability at quarterback on offense, and the defense found itself going through what the offense had experienced the previous year. Jack Lambert dislocated a toe, and his availability throughout the season became an issue, just as it had in 1983 with Bradshaw’s elbow.

But by the end, the 1984 Pittsburgh Steelers had become a nice team.

There had been some growing pains, but they showed some spark and spunk as well. There was the trip to the West Coast where they hung a loss on the San Francisco 49ers, their only loss as the NFL’s first 15-1 team.

They had gone to Los Angeles to face the Raiders in the regular season finale, they went needing a win to make the playoffs, and they went to the site where they had been humiliated, 38-10, in the 1983 AFC Playoffs. They got that win, too, over the Raiders, and got to go to Denver to face the 13-3 Broncos in the 1984 AFC Divisional Playoffs.

In Denver, they shocked the world by ending the Broncos’ season and spoiling the matchup everyone thought they wanted to see in the AFC Championship Game – Elway vs. Marino. They shocked the world because they approached the whole experience as a team, instead of a collection of individuals.

“Everything was about John Elway at that point in time,” said Mark Malone, who had become the starting quarterback in place of David Woodley. “I had played against John when he was at Stanford and I was at Arizona State, and in the NFL I never felt you were going to be outgunned by just one guy. John Elway was a great player, he’s a Hall of Famer, but I felt we had a chance to win when we went out there.”

They did win, and that truly cemented a nice season. But in 1984, the Miami Dolphins were on another level, because what they did to opposing defenses was decidedly not nice. http://news.steelers.com/article/83179/

TheWarDen86
02-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Man, you guys are all fickle. I remember a good run in 1984 with Malone at the helm and missing the super bowl by 1 game. Malone wasnt that bad.

Kent Graham never did that. I could almost put David Woodley in the same category.

I almost mentioned Kent Graham, but his tenure was too short. He was definitely aweful.

CPanther95
02-24-2009, 05:13 PM
None of us are old enough to remember the teams from the 50's and 60's - but if we are talking about the worst "ever", I'd imagine there are at least a half dozen from that era that would be at the top of the list.

steelerdave1969
02-24-2009, 05:18 PM
In my opinion Neil O'Donnell was one of the top 3 or 4 QB's in Steelers history, he just had 2 huge Brain Farts in super bowl xxx.. and I will never forgive him for that, he cost us that super bowl for sure.

7SteelGal43
02-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Especially since Dan Marino wanted to stay at home and play for the Steelers.....How many more trophies would be in that case if Dan could've played for his home team?

Well let's see, with the two Big Ben helped us get, I'm thinking we'd have both hands full and a few of the toes with rings on 'em :chuckle: well, ok, I'm sure we'd at least have both hands full.

fansince'76
02-24-2009, 05:30 PM
In my opinion Neil O'Donnell was one of the top 3 or 4 QB's in Steelers history....

I also agree with this statement. O'Donnell wasn't a bad QB, really. But let's face it, after Bradshaw and Ben, there is a huuuuuge dropoff when it comes to Steelers QBs.

steeltheone
02-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Kordell was at the helm of Super Bowl caliber Steeler teams. It's hard to compare because of that.

cowboykilla
02-24-2009, 05:55 PM
It's Malone hands down. He really sucked,not as bad as the ratbirds,but he sucked.

4xSBChamps
02-24-2009, 06:01 PM
..... in-defense of the Stillers NOT choosing Dan Marino in the 1983 draft.....

I recall LOTSA 'rumors' floating around-town, that Marino had played poorly in his Sr. season @ Pitt (pre-season #1 across-the-board, only to go 9-3, and lose the Cotton Bowl to SMU) due to a drug-problem, and some were worried that this problem might continue, if Marino stayed-put in 'da Burgh with his then current-contacts.

Please understand that I'm not repeating rumors for the sake of it (I had friends at Pitt in those days, and they all refuted these rumors), and I was a big #13 fan myself, just trying to put the story into some type context, circa 1982-83:
besides, it is doubtful that Noll would've unshackled Marino's abilities, and turned the Stillers into a pass-happy team as the self-appointed legend Shula did.

The team Malone inherited in 1984 wasn't anything like the '70s Steelers (Jack Lambert & Larry Brown retired inJuly '85), the game had changed into a pass-and-tab League, and those teams that did run the ball chose straight-ahead/drive-blocking techniques, yet the Stillers continued drafting smallish/quick OL in an attempt to revive it's trap-style running-game:
with running-backs like Frank Pollard & Earnest Jackson being creamed at the line of scrimmage, it's hard to fault Malone for everything that transpired.

For all the hype surrounding his arrival, Terry Hanratty never developed into the QB most thought he would, and until SB IX, when Bradshaw became the unquestioned leader, many players on those teams felt Hanratty was a better QB & leader than Bradshaw (re-read '3 Bricks Shy of a Load', by Roy Blount Jr.):
before the Noll era, I recall Dick Shiner & Kent Nix weren't exactly awe-inspiring.....
:doh:

Michael Keller
02-24-2009, 06:12 PM
I know some bad ones but I would be dating myself. Mark Malone was one bad QB and I do not think he was much of a team player

I first saw Malone when he played for El Cajon High School, about 30 miles east of San Diego . I read about this kid who was a high school all America QB . I lived in nearby La Mesa California and since I played against Namath when I was at Aliquippa High and saw Butler's Terry Hanratty and other great Western PA QB's I thought it would be great to see this great High school QB. Wow what a dissapointment I experienced. Malone was in no way that good , not a bad runner , but there was nothing about him that indicated stardom as it pertained to passing. He goes onto Arizona State and again an above average athlete but not a great QB. I will say that he had his good moments as a Steeler QB but they weren't many . He was real bad most of the time. It shocked me that the pro scouts could not see this lack of skill.

Do any of you remember the excessively frustrated Steeler fan who rammed his car into the structure of Three Rivers Stadium protesting the terrible play of Mark Malone?

Kordell Stewart was a close second.

austinfrench76
02-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Malone was THE wooooorrrsssstttttttt EVER!

PalmerSteel
02-24-2009, 06:39 PM
his career starts were too short to probably be considered and as much as it pains me because i am related to him and he turned out being one of the biggest draft busts (chiefs drafted him) ever and his dad coached for the steelers, gotta throw todd blackledge in to the mix: between 88-89: started 5 games for the steelers. 2-3 record. 129 passing yard avg. 3 tds. 6 ints. qb rating of 50 (career rating 60) :banging:

Godfather
02-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Have to go with Malone. 1985-88 was the worst stretch in the post-merger era. And in 1987, when we fell just one game short of the postseason, he threw 1 TD and 11 INT's down the stretch.

Kordell at least took us to two AFCCGs and made some awesome highlight-reel plays. He just choked once he got there.

devilsdancefloor
02-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Mark malone wins hands down as the worst QB.

Morgan
02-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Blackledge and Cliff Stout for me... Mark Malone wasn't great..but man, he would have been a great receiver... he was FAST. Kinda like Kordell... would have been better at another position.

BlastFurnace
02-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Do any of you remember the excessively frustrated Steeler fan who rammed his car into the structure of Three Rivers Stadium protesting the terrible play of Mark Malone?

Yes. It happened around 1988. I think he tried to drive his car up some ramp leading into the stadium. It was one form of protest against the Steelers that I fully endorsed. The Malone experiment was even more frustrating than the Kordell era.

Malone was the worst.

BlastFurnace
02-24-2009, 07:19 PM
In my opinion Neil O'Donnell was one of the top 3 or 4 QB's in Steelers history, he just had 2 huge Brain Farts in super bowl xxx.. and I will never forgive him for that, he cost us that super bowl for sure.

I completely agree with you. Neil has gotten a bad rap with this city.

BlastFurnace
02-24-2009, 07:21 PM
It used to kill me to see the stalwart Malone throw a touchdown pass, run off the field with the #1 sign with his index finger...all the while leading the Steelers to a losing season.

St33lersguy
02-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Mark Malone was an absolute failure. He was a god awful piece of s***. I would have settled for Todd Suckledge, Scott Campbell, Bubby Brister. what a massive joke. What a loser!!!!

steelwall
02-24-2009, 08:24 PM

Yeap, Molone, with Graham being a close 2nd.

bratsinmybelly
02-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Malone and that awful 'stache hands down.

StainlessStill
02-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Stale-mate between Malone and Graham. But DAMN was Kent Graham HORRENDOUS. Around the time in '00, I just got my computer and was starting to find message boards. My first screen name was : kent.graham.he.gotta.go.

Graham was firing screen passes at 100 miles an hour and was just horrible in every aspect. At least Malone was somewhat of an athlete.

I'll never forget the '00 game in Cleveland where he took that sack when football intelligence tells you to throw it out of bounds. We lost to the Clowns that year, their 2nd season back in the league. Embarrassing. Thankfully, Kordell led us to a respectful 9-7 year.

gosteeler
02-24-2009, 09:10 PM
wonder how Stewarts career would have been if he had been made to realize he wasn't a QB and played the position created for him during the superbowl run in the middle 90's

you couldn't stop him!!! he stopped himself the moment he got behind center

steelwall
02-24-2009, 09:14 PM
wonder how Stewarts career would have been if he had been made to realize he wasn't a QB and played the position created for him during the superbowl run in the middle 90's

had we had a better QB at the time Kordell could have been the ultimate Randle El. But sadly he was our best option at the time. He was a gifted athlete but not a very accurate passer. That being said, IMO Cowher did stay with Kordell a bit longer than he should have, only at the end when he was given a roll as a wide reciver was I happy with Kordell. Infact, I think he made a decent reciever.

slippy
02-24-2009, 09:52 PM
all those teams passed on marino because his nickname was "doobie dan".

right or wrong, truth or rumor, that's what happened.

obviously, his career proves those concerns to be unfounded.

Steelers & I
02-24-2009, 10:12 PM
had we had a better QB at the time Kordell could have been the ultimate Randle El. But sadly he was our best option at the time. He was a gifted athlete but not a very accurate passer. That being said, IMO Cowher did stay with Kordell a bit longer than he should have, only at the end when he was given a roll as a wide reciver was I happy with Kordell. Infact, I think he made a decent reciever.

I don't remember that happening. Kordell was given a WR role during his rookie season. I don't recall him playing a WR position "at the end" of his tenure in Pittsburgh?????? :noidea:

StainlessStill
02-24-2009, 10:18 PM

Of course, Kordell was one helluva athlete, and was probably the best in that category when he entered the league. He turned the stone for slash players, and the running Quarterback as a whole.

I'm going to come to the defense of Kordell in this argument. In '97 he posted his best season at Quarterback (With the exception of '01) and showed promise as a threat at the position. Sadly, it was the worst time to be the quarterback in our system and in '98-'00 you got the feel that we were in a rebuilding stage at numerous positions. We went through CRAP-LOAD of Offensive Coordinators, Quarterback Coaches, and systems during most of Kordell's tenure at QB, and we just weren't that good of a team around him either.

Of course, he choked in big games, esp the Champ games. Denver he threw some horrid throws, but that was game plan that bit us, and in '01 against N.E special teams faltered, even though he threw the pick at the end, but that was hardly the case for the loss.

He would of made an unstoppable career at catching the ball, no doubt.. but he did some good things for us at Quarterback then some want to dismiss.

Steeldude
02-25-2009, 01:03 AM
kordell stewart is the worst by far. the worst in NFL history.

he was consistently given a #1 defense and a #1 running attack. the steelers could never fully overcome stewart's inability to play QB.

Steelers & I
02-25-2009, 01:15 AM

he was consistently given a #1 defense and a #1 running attack. the steelers could never fully overcome stewart's inability to play QB.

Right on Dude. That's my thinking precisely. Yeah Mark Malone SUCKED, but so did the rest of team.

Big7BenHOF
02-25-2009, 01:18 AM
Ben Roethlisberger. That guy sucks. :flap::flap:

MasterOfPuppets
02-25-2009, 02:00 AM

he was consistently given a #1 defense and a #1 running attack. the steelers could never fully overcome stewart's inability to play QB.:thumbsup:..... malone sucked on a sucky team...NO HARM,NO FOUL....kordella sucked on a some great teams and single handedly cost the steelers possibly 2 lombardi's IMO....:noidea:

Galax Steeler
02-25-2009, 03:27 AM
I never was a big Kordell fan myself.I would have to say him.

OX1947
02-25-2009, 03:44 AM
Not Drafting Dan Marino at least cost the Steelers 2 more Lombardi's.

steelerdave1969
02-25-2009, 05:16 AM
These stats come straight to you from ProFootballReference.com
Just a few stats from some of the former Steelers' Starting QB's

Bobby Lane
66 td's 81 Int's
7.0 INT %
49.2 Comp. %

Mark Malone
54 td's 68 Int's
4.9 Int %
50.2% Comp

Kordell Stewart
70 td's 72 int's
3.4 Int %
56.5 Comp. %

Neil O'Donnell * which cannot be compared to the previous players
68 td's 39 int's
2.1 INT %
57.1 Comp. %

These are career stats with the Steelers Only for All Players *

The_WARDen
02-25-2009, 07:08 AM
I don't know who the QBs were in the 30's and 40's but the team was putrid back then. I doubt the QBs were any good.

:noidea:

TheWarDen86
02-26-2009, 07:49 PM
I never was a big Kordell fan myself.I would have to say him.

Yea, but the thing with Kordell was that he only sucked every other year. :chuckle:

Rick5895
02-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Are you all forgetting about....CLIFF STOUDT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The worst i've seen.

steelballs
02-27-2009, 07:37 AM
Malone was not a very good Qb. Similarly, I too hated his smug demenor . That said, the worst starting QB in all of Steelers' history? Have we forgotten Cliff Stout? How about all of those pre-70's teams?

FWIIW, Malone did throw for 10,000 yards. In addition, in 1984 we beat the eventual Super Bowl Champion 49's in San Fran and made the AFC Championship game under Malone. You could say we did much of that inspite of Malone and I wouldn't argue. Still, I don't think you accomplish those things with the worst starting QB in Steelers' history - just not a very good one.

I have to go with Cliff Stoudt too, the guy simply sucked!
Didn't he become the starting QB for the short-lived Pittsburgh Maulers of the USFL?

Edman
02-27-2009, 09:05 AM
By personal memory, I'm going to have to say Kordell. Because of his inconsistency and lack of mental toughness. At least with Malone, you knew he sucked, and you knew he was going to suck. And the mid-80's Steelers weren't that great anway. But Korkie thought he was an NFL-caliber QB when he wasn't. He was a helluva athlete, sure, but he was not a QB.

I usually don't place blame on single players for losses. But I believe the project Kordell was the singular reason Bettis and Cowher had to wait so long to get a ring. Malone was just another piece of suckitude on mediocre 80's Steelers teams. Kordell on the other hand was handed a running game with a dominant Offensive Line and great Defense. And he continued to play like crap. Even during his best years he was average at best.

He would stare down his recievers, heave passes into the dirt, and who could forget his season-killing interceptions in AFC title games. But the guys' worst moment had to be when he went to the bench and cried. When he had the gall to go on 1st and 10 before the Super Bowl and diss Ben, it reinforced my belief that he was a jackoff.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
02-27-2009, 09:26 AM
i'm gonna go with cliff stoudt as well...

didn't malone get to within a game of the superbowl back in '85? (if i recall correctly, wasn't that the year we got beat by the dolphins in the AFC championship?).

malone would have been better in porn...

Cape Cod Steel Head
02-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Mark "Go Home" Malone

4xSBChamps
02-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I have to go with Cliff Stoudt too, the guy simply sucked!
Didn't he become the starting QB for the short-lived Pittsburgh Maulers of the USFL?

I think Stoudt played against the Maulers, as the QB of the Birmingham Stallions

http://www.oursportscentral.com/usfl/images/stoudt.jpg

if I recall correctly, the same ass-clowns that cheered when Bradshaw tore-up a shoulder against the Bungles in '73 pelted Stoudt with snowballs in a game played at Three Rivers

Phoenixus
02-27-2009, 02:40 PM

Yeah Neil was actually a pretty good quarterback when it came down to it. Still one of the best when it comes down to field vision.

It's unfortunate that his memory is so soured by one superbowl but it really is.

In another interesting note, there is a poster here who used to date Bubby Brister, shocked me when she first told me, but I considered it an interesting piece of history concerning the time period. I still remember Brister, and my mind has changed about him over the years. I've lightened up a little on him.

Still this team has only had two Franchise level Quarterbacks, Bradshaw and Rothlisburgher.

I would have to say that Malone was probably the worst, but Kordell wasn't that far off. It was such a shame because he had the physical abillity for it, but not the head or the instincts.

stlrtruck
02-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Yeah Neil was actually a pretty good quarterback when it came down to it. Still one of the best when it comes down to field vision.

It's unfortunate that his memory is so soured by one superbowl but it really is.

In another interesting note, there is a poster here who used to date Bubby Brister, shocked me when she first told me, but I considered it an interesting piece of history concerning the time period. I still remember Brister, and my mind has changed about him over the years. I've lightened up a little on him.

Still this team has only had two Franchise level Quarterbacks, Bradshaw and Rothlisburgher.

I would have to say that Malone was probably the worst, but Kordell wasn't that far off. It was such a shame because he had the physical abillity for it, but not the head or the instincts.

You are right that O'Donnell gets dogged for his performance in the Super Bowl. He was a productive QB but it is difficult for me to look past the blatant oblviousness in those two plays (from time to time) but I do remember some of his more dramatic games too.

As for Bubby, the man killed me. It seems he could come out and have a huge game (usually against the browns) and then the following week he would choke against a sub-par team.

I've tried to not live in the late 80's versions of our QBs as my doctor tells me it's not good for my stress levels :rofl: but I know that Malone was one of the worse!

4xSBChamps
02-27-2009, 03:05 PM
..... O'Donnell gets dogged for his performance in the Super Bowl.....

..... how-much of O'Donnell's bum-rap in 'da Burgh is for throwing 2 crucial interceptions in SB XXX, and how-much is for jumping-ship to the New Jersey Jets before the next season?
:coffee:

DP_Steeler
02-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Back to the point of the thread. I'm going to go with Kordell Stewart as my choice. Yeah Malone was horrible but man, Kordell had some talented teammates around him and yet he still sucked. His absolute worst performances occurred during playoff games, the dude simply choked big time in those games . Many fans get caught up with Stewarts' slash role during his rookie season. Sure, he was exciting to watch that rookie season but all in all, he was in my opinion the worst QB to ever start for the Steelers.

I'm with you there ... Slash was better as a receiver and multi-purpose player on offense ... ocaassional QB, but in retrospect really dissapointed. He was given more than enough opportunties to shine with good players around him.

rich4eagle
02-27-2009, 03:50 PM
I am going to disagree with this. Malone played at a bad time and for a short time. Never condemn one who was destined to fail.

That is right wing America albeit what they did to Jimmy Carter

Phoenixus
02-27-2009, 05:49 PM
i'm gonna go with cliff stoudt as well...

didn't malone get to within a game of the superbowl back in '85? (if i recall correctly, wasn't that the year we got beat by the dolphins in the AFC championship?).

malone would have been better in porn...

Lol I hadn't thought about that but yeah he has the porn "stache",

But if I remember right, the real reason the Steelers were one step from the Superbowl back then was because that was during a football "strike" year. And it got resolved finally during the end of the year and the teams weren't actually playing with the normal players during most of the regular season.

4xSBChamps
02-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Lol I hadn't thought about that but yeah he has the porn "stache",

But if I remember right, the real reason the Steelers were one step from the Superbowl back then was because that was during a football "strike" year. And it got resolved finally during the end of the year and the teams weren't actually playing with the normal players during most of the regular season.

1984 wasn't a strike year (I don't think)..... the NFLPA struck in '82, when only 9 games were played, and again in '87, when substitute/replacement players filled-in, and a single game was missed, resulting in a 15-game season:
in '84, I recall the Steelers beat Denver on the road in the First Round, then got blitzed by the Dolphs in Floriduh in the AFC Championship Game, 45-28.

I believe that against an AFC Western team (either Oakland or Denver) late that season, Malone took a wicked hit to the head, resulting in a gash across the side of his jaw:
bloodied, Malone was stitched-up, and finished that game, which I recall was an important, and rare, win for 'em Stillers on the West Coast..... help me out if I'm wrong.
:popcorn:

86WARD
02-27-2009, 06:24 PM
EASILY Mark Malone. Not even in Kordell's league. Everyone says Kordell was bad, he had a different O-Coordinator every year too...Gailey, Sherman, Gilbride, Mularkey...I forget who else.

He was way better than Malone...

Phoenixus
02-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Naw, Kordell and Malone weren't that far apart.

For all his physical skills Kordell just didn't have the head for the quarterback position. In Malone's day you didn't need it as much because football was a lot less complicated and he still had problems. But I suspect he'd have looked about the same given the time period.

The Steelers brought in Gilbride who pretty much proved Kordell could not handle a complicated offensive system. It wasn't until Mularkey simplified (dumbed down) the system that Kordell could play somewhat efficiently. And even then he struggled eventually.

I give Kordell the edge, because Malone couldn't even manage it in a day when quarterbacking as a whole was a lot more simple. But the two aren't that terribly far apart.

STEELAMANIA
02-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Tomczak in the 1996-97 FOGBOWL divisional championship game against the Pats was terrible, along with Kordell in his second year playing mopup in that game. I'd rqather judge these qbs in playoff games than regular season games. Cliff Stoudt counldnt hit the side of a barn in the 1983 game vs the Raiders.....

Based on playoff games, which REALLY count...

the worst qb has to be Tomczak and Stoudt, then Malone, then Brister and then Kordell and O Donnell. Tomczak and Stoudt are the only starting qbs to NOT win a playoff game for the Steelers when starting in a playoff game.

STEELAMANIA
02-28-2009, 01:31 PM
I have to say Cliff Stoudt is the worst starting qb ever to play for the Steelers

STEELAMANIA
02-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Naw, Kordell and Malone weren't that far apart.

For all his physical skills Kordell just didn't have the head for the quarterback position. In Malone's day you didn't need it as much because football was a lot less complicated and he still had problems. But I suspect he'd have looked about the same given the time period.

The Steelers brought in Gilbride who pretty much proved Kordell could not handle a complicated offensive system. It wasn't until Mularkey simplified (dumbed down) the system that Kordell could play somewhat efficiently. And even then he struggled eventually.

I give Kordell the edge, because Malone couldn't even manage it in a day when quarterbacking as a whole was a lot more simple. But the two aren't that terribly far apart.

At least Kordell and Malone won some playoff games....Cliff Stoudt and Mike Tomczak started playoff games and never won.

STEELAMANIA
02-28-2009, 01:47 PM
I absolutely LOVED the way Malone pointed his finger at receivers or linemen after a play went wrong.

steveironcity
02-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Dick Shiner

Blackvette
02-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Kent Graham

Godfather
02-28-2009, 07:07 PM
EASILY Mark Malone. Not even in Kordell's league. Everyone says Kordell was bad, he had a different O-Coordinator every year too...Gailey, Sherman, Gilbride, Mularkey...I forget who else.

He was way better than Malone...

Yep...imagine if you switched them. With Kordell we make the playoffs in 1987 (when Malone threw one touchdown and 11 interceptions down the stretch and we came up one game short). We don't get anywhere near the AFCCG in '97 or '01 if we have Malone.

Kordell sucked at the worst possible time. Malone sucked ALL the time.

Edman
02-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Kordell vs. Malone. Five Season comparison.

Kordell 1997: 21 TD, 17 INT
Kordell 1998: 11 TD, 18 INT
Kordell 1999: 6 TD, 10 INT
Kordell 2000: 11 TD, 8 INT
Kordell 2001: 14 TD, 11 INT

Malone 1983: 1 TD, 2 INT
Malone 1984: 16 TD, 17 INT
Malone 1985: 13 TD, 7 INT
Malone 1986: 15 TD, 18 INT
Malone 1987: 6 TD, 19 INT Straw Breaker season.

To say the least, neither QB was any good, let's just leave it at that and thank the heavens we have Ben Roethlisberger.

X-Terminator
02-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Malone gets the edge over Kordell and Graham. I mean yeah, those 80s teams with the exception of the 84 team sucked ass (imagine if we had modern-day message boards back then!) but Malone was just ridiculously friggin AWFUL. He couldn't drop a pebble in the Atlantic if he was standing at the edge of a pier. Kordell at least had a couple of decent seasons and helped take 2 teams to the AFCC.

HughC
02-28-2009, 11:39 PM
I guess I'm just dating myself as an old-as-dirt fan, but I can recall when most Steeler fans wanted Terry Hanratty to be the starting QB over Terry Bradshaw. He was the #30 overall pick and many at that time questioned why the Steelers drafted another QB the very next year with the first overall pick - especially after Bradshaw's rookie season.

QB stats from then and now cannot be compared due to rules changes, but these numbers still jump out at you - especially in comparison to Bradshaw's:

Completion percentage: 38%
Touchdowns/Interceptions: 24/35
Quarterback Rating: 43

BehindSteelCurtain
03-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Ben Roethlisberger......he holds on to the ball too long.

BrandonCarr39
03-01-2009, 12:08 AM
As bad as Mark Malone was, Babe Laughenberg was BY FAR the NFL's worst starting QB...Ever! He was a 50% passer on the SIDELINES, and that was it. He's a very intelligent analyst here in DFW though.

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2009, 12:12 AM
As bad as Mark Malone was, Babe Laughenberg was BY FAR the NFL's worst starting QB...Ever! He was a 50% passer on the SIDELINES, and that was it. He's a very intelligent analyst here in DFW though.:toofunny:

Steeldude
03-01-2009, 02:40 AM
With Kordell we make the playoffs in 1987

:rofl::toofunny::sofunny::rofl:

i am not sure, but i think "kordell" is latin for "cancer"

steelwall
03-01-2009, 02:44 AM
:rofl::toofunny::sofunny::rofl:

i am not sure, but i think "kordell" is latin for "cancer"

Its also Icelandic for inaccurate/inconsistant.

M1JAM
03-01-2009, 10:41 PM
How about some of those QBs from th 60s?

M1JAM
03-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Kent Nix !! someone find his stats and compare them to Malone's !! !

M1JAM
03-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Tomczak was a total pretender

jacklambert
02-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Tomczak was a total pretender

What? Are you crazy. Tomczak performed admirably as a rock solid back up for years. When called upon he did well.

steeltheone
02-04-2011, 02:18 PM
What? Are you crazy. Tomczak performed admirably as a rock solid back up for years. When called upon he did well.

I agree..Kent Graham is my vote

Atlanta Dan
02-04-2011, 02:25 PM
None of us are old enough to remember the teams from the 50's and 60's - but if we are talking about the worst "ever", I'd imagine there are at least a half dozen from that era that would be at the top of the list.

Thank you - I started rooting for the Steelers in the mid-60s when they were the equivalent of today's version of the Bills until Noll had his first winning season in 1972 - it was like being a Pirates fan today

This was their record from 1964 -1971 - work off the assumption the QBs were pretty bad as well

1971 NFL Pittsburgh Steelers 6 8 0 (Bradshaw)
1970 NFL Pittsburgh Steelers 5 9 0 (Bradshaw)
1969 NFL Pittsburgh Steelers 1 13 (Dick Shiner)
1968 NFL Pittsburgh Steelers 2 11 1 (Dick Shiner)
1967 NFL Pittsburgh Steelers 4 9 1 (Kent Nix)
1966 NFL Pittsburgh Steelers 5 8 1 (Ron Smith)
1965 NFL Pittsburgh Steelers 2 12 0 (Bill Nelson)
1964 NFL Pittsburgh Steelers 5 9 (Ed Brown)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/

MDSteel15
02-04-2011, 02:26 PM

Don't think we wouldn't have beaten the Dolphins in 1984 or Broncos in 88?

Steelboy84
02-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Jim Miller

Atlanta Dan
02-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Kent Nix !! someone find his stats and compare them to Malone's !! !

Kent Nix
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NixxKe00.htm

Mark Malone
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MaloMa00.htm

Nix was bad but so were his teammates

Buddha Bus
02-04-2011, 02:43 PM
I'll always remember Mark Malone as a failed experiment at QB. They should have just kept him as a WR.

MDSteel15
02-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Right on Dude. That's my thinking precisely. Yeah Mark Malone SUCKED, but so did the rest of team.

You need to go and look at those rosters! They didn't suck completley!!!