PDA

View Full Version : Look at Kirwans new draft!!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Guess who Kirwans has as the #32 pick!!!!

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d80eea152&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true&icampaign=DW_Combine_wednesday

steelerdave1969
02-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the read, I love all the news and info that I can get on the upcoming draft. Pat kirwan having us take a DE in the 1st round though I dont think I really agree with it, but anything could/can happen I guess.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the read, I love all the news and info that I can get on the upcoming draft. Pat kirwan having us take a DE in the 1st round though I dont think I really agree with it, but anything could/can happen I guess.

About a week ago..I did a process of elimination thread to show that there was a good possibility that we may end up with a DE at the end of the first.

One of the "disadvantages" of success, is picking so late and being at the whim of the rest of the leagues needs/wants. Obviously everyone knows that we need lineman...but the way the draft is panning out, there may not be a lineman worthy of the #32 pick...So we may have to pick the BPA (Best Player Available) for our needs, or reach to grab a linemen that otherwise wouldnt go until midway through the second round. (Our other option would be to trade down, but that has been discussed in a seperate thread)

I have no problem with picking up Gilbert at #32 if we are faced with that type of situation.....HOWEVER...if you noticed....Alex Mack is not on Kirwans 1st round draft, and if he is available I would take him over Gilbert. Either way, both these players excite me and I would be happy with that pick.

tony hipchest
02-25-2009, 12:34 PM
heres what mayock and sapp had to say at their live chat from the combine on monday-

http://chat.nfl.com/front/archived_chat/134

Mike Mayock, NFL Network
Listen to the name Jarron Gilbert, a defensive end from San Jose State, because he's going to flash and a lot of people are going to have to go back and look at his tape. He's a beast, he's a freak, but he was inconsistent in college.

Warren Sapp, NFL Network
Jarron Gilbert was the YouTube sensation who jumped out of the pool. From a broad stand, he jumped out of the pool.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-25-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't really agree with that pick, but he can help keep Smith and Keisel fresh by rotating in.

Texasteel
02-25-2009, 02:31 PM
I noticed that he had both Mack and Beatty still there. It would be hard for me to pass on either one of them. I would not complain about Gilbert, if it does happen though.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-25-2009, 02:43 PM
I noticed that he had both Mack and Beatty still there. It would be hard for me to pass on either one of them. I would not complain about Gilbert, if it does happen though.

I still look for Tyson Jackson to slip on draft day....and several of the CB's will drop...possibly pushing some of the players we covet up the boards.

Hapa
02-25-2009, 03:53 PM
That doesn't sound to good to me. I'm always afraid of guys that move up because the combine, and 3-4 DEs usually used to play 1 tech in a 4-3 defense.

revefsreleets
02-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Ehhhh....I don't know about some of his selections. The combine is all about numbers, and they just don't translate...

Stafford #1 is a waste. The QB's in this draft are all nothing super special. The teams that need a QB could probably sit back and wait until Rd 2 and get the same guys there...

KeiselPower99
02-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Thats a helluva run on D linemen at the end of the first rd. If that happens then I think we could take one then.

St33lersguy
02-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Who is this Jarran Gilbert guy??? If Mack, Unger, & Duke are still there then the Steelers need not to waste a 1st round pick on an inconsistent DE who came to Indy as a 2nd or 3rd round talent. I just hope hope Brandon Pettigrew and Beanie Wells get drafted before 9 OL and 3-4 DL. Jarron Gilbert? Not a big fan

lilyoder6
02-25-2009, 07:22 PM
i think gilbert is a good player and would do good for us.. but i think 1st rd would be a reach 4 him if mack and other o-line are stil avaliable

XxKnightxX
02-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Pat has a good mock. It might also be irrelevant, but wow 4 of those guys played in New Jersey, not too long ago I was seeing knowshon Moreno in the local paper and look at him now. Cushing I played against, Britt played for an old rival of my school, and Ive seen Raji a couple of times in his Westwood home town......and getting to see Garvin run like 200 yards in 2 quarters against us, offensively and defensively lol.Yeah Jersey got talent baby lol.

MasterOfPuppets
02-25-2009, 08:52 PM
i don't see how James Laurinaitis,and Malcolm Jenkins terrible 40 times could not hurt thier draft stock....:noidea: ...

tony hipchest
02-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Pat has a good mock. It might also be irrelevant, but wow 4 of those guys played in New Jersey, not too long ago I was seeing knowshon Moreno in the local paper and look at him now. Cushing I played against, Britt played for an old rival of my school, and Ive seen Raji a couple of times in his Westwood home town......and getting to see Garvin run like 200 yards in 2 quarters against us, offensively and defensively lol.Yeah Jersey got talent baby lol.

you'll probably like this article then-

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d80ebc5ef&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true]

Jersey Boys: Prospects from Garden State in full bloom

Certain places are known as breeding grounds for NFL players. Western Pennsylvania and Ohio come to mind, as do Florida, Texas and California. But this year, New Jersey might be added to that list.

The Garden State has produced its share of NFL stars, but this year's draft-eligible group is one of the most talented I can remember coming out of the state. Up to five former New Jersey high school stars could be taken in the top 10 picks in April's NFL Draft, and as many as seven might go in the first round.

lilyoder6
02-26-2009, 10:22 AM
i don't see how James Laurinaitis,and Malcolm Jenkins terrible 40 times could not hurt thier draft stock....:noidea: ...

should know that speed and the 40 is what many players are based on.. they don't want someone slow on the field with the opp athletes who could blow by them

SteelMember
02-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Who is this Jarran Gilbert guy??? If Mack, Unger, & Duke are still there then the Steelers need not to waste a 1st round pick on an inconsistent DE who came to Indy as a 2nd or 3rd round talent. I just hope hope Brandon Pettigrew and Beanie Wells get drafted before 9 OL and 3-4 DL.

I agree.

I can't see the #1 TE, and one of the better RB's falling to the 2nd round. :noidea:

SteelMember
02-26-2009, 11:27 AM

Your right. There's no way.

They have been pimping JL for almost 3 years now. :mg: :doh:

Benzbrother
02-26-2009, 08:11 PM
kind of OT, but for those of you who don't know who Jarron Gilbert is...check out this video. It's pretty sick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw

Just a little display of the amount of power this kid has

ShutDown24
02-26-2009, 08:24 PM
One of the worst mock drafts I've seen all year in my opinion.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2009, 09:02 AM
That is a pretty reasonable mock IMO. I had Oher slipping to the Bears before the combine took place. The only thing I question is taking Cushing for GB's defense when Raji is still on the board as the best 3-4 NT.

I would have no problem with Jarron Gilbert at #32. Although, I really would not pass on William Beatty if he is there. Draft Beatty, let Starks play 1 year on the franchise tag and let him go. Beatty becomes the LT in 2010 and you save $8mil in releasing Starks in order to extend Holmes, Miller, Woodley in 2010.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2009, 09:05 AM
I agree.

I can't see the #1 TE, and one of the better RB's falling to the 2nd round. :noidea:

Beanie Wells ran a pedestrian 40 time and has durability issues. Marino, McCoy and maybe the kid from UConn might be the only 1st round backs. I could see Wells slide.

Pettigrew fits the needs of Buffalo, Philly for the most and they do have bigger needs too. I think 90% of this draft is very reasonable.

SteelMember
02-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Beanie Wells ran a pedestrian 40 time and has durability issues. Marino, McCoy and maybe the kid from UConn might be the only 1st round backs. I could see Wells slide.

Pettigrew fits the needs of Buffalo, Philly for the most and they do have bigger needs too. I think 90% of this draft is very reasonable.

I had Pettigrew for Atl. also. Ryan could use that outlet. After crumpler got the ax, there was little production from that position. They also really need a NT with the old man grady jackson being released.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Who is this Jarran Gilbert guy???

Notes from the scouts at the combine:

The 2008 WAC Co-Defensive Player of the Year -- with an eye-popping 22 tackles for loss -- Gilbert was characterized by some as a product of the Spartans' aggressive defense until, that is, he proved to be arguably the most dominant presence at the East-West Shrine Game. The question for scouts now isn't whether Gilbert can play, but at which position to utilize his unique combination of size and athletic ability. Gilbert signed with San Jose State as a 240-pound defensive end in 2004. He added over 40 pounds since and has the frame to add even more. ... The son of former New Orleans Saints' offensive tackle Daren Gilbert, Jarron has incredible athleticism for his size and could be just scratching the surface of his potential.

Rare athleticism for a player of his size. ... Versatile defender with experience at defensive tackle and defensive end. ... Good size potential. ... Naturally large man with room for plenty of additional muscle mass. ... Good initial quickness off the snap. ... Flashes the functional upper-body strength to disengage from blockers. ... Surprising balance for his height. ... Can break down in space and make the secure tackle. ... At least adequate closing speed for a player his size. ... Flashes some explosiveness as a hitter. ... Long arms and capable of batting down passes and potentially kicks. ... Often battled two or three blockers as a senior. ... Helped himself with a strong week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game. ... Ascending talent -- might be just scratching the surface of his potential.

Texasteel
02-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Notes from the scouts at the combine:

The 2008 WAC Co-Defensive Player of the Year -- with an eye-popping 22 tackles for loss -- Gilbert was characterized by some as a product of the Spartans' aggressive defense until, that is, he proved to be arguably the most dominant presence at the East-West Shrine Game. The question for scouts now isn't whether Gilbert can play, but at which position to utilize his unique combination of size and athletic ability. Gilbert signed with San Jose State as a 240-pound defensive end in 2004. He added over 40 pounds since and has the frame to add even more. ... The son of former New Orleans Saints' offensive tackle Daren Gilbert, Jarron has incredible athleticism for his size and could be just scratching the surface of his potential.

Rare athleticism for a player of his size. ... Versatile defender with experience at defensive tackle and defensive end. ... Good size potential. ... Naturally large man with room for plenty of additional muscle mass. ... Good initial quickness off the snap. ... Flashes the functional upper-body strength to disengage from blockers. ... Surprising balance for his height. ... Can break down in space and make the secure tackle. ... At least adequate closing speed for a player his size. ... Flashes some explosiveness as a hitter. ... Long arms and capable of batting down passes and potentially kicks. ... Often battled two or three blockers as a senior. ... Helped himself with a strong week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game. ... Ascending talent -- might be just scratching the surface of his potential.

This could be another plus for your trade down idea. Just don't trade down to far.