PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Contract Update

StainlessStill
02-25-2009, 02:44 PM
ESPN ran a ticker at the bottom of the screen about James Harrison. Something about his contract being hampered a bit because of a contract bargaining agreement. I saw it at the last second and didn't see the whole script. Maybe it has something to do with the un-capped year of 2010, I don't know but reports are the talks were hampered.

fansince'76
02-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Threads like this irritate the shit out of me. No source, no link. Just a vague "I caught the tail end of them saying something about this on ESPN, but I had to go take a dump and didn't catch all of it...."

RoethlisBURGHer
02-25-2009, 03:42 PM
He's a free agent after 2009. I hope we lock him up long-term, but we may draft someone to take his place in a year.

CPanther95
02-25-2009, 03:44 PM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=34116

JEFF4i
02-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Threads like this irritate the shit out of me. No source, no link. Just a vague "I caught the tail end of them saying something about this on ESPN, but I had to go take a dump and didn't catch all of it...."

Don't you bash the necessity to go poo!

Actually I'm on your side, sick to my stomach during the first Ravens game, had to go since like the 3rd quarter but I wouldn't leave me seat until it was finished...then it went to OT...trying times.

Where's the linky OP? :hug:

Curtain_of_Steel
02-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Regardless of what happens, the Steelers can tag him after next year. He isn't going any wheres.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09056/951398-66.stm

the articles I read today, limit salary increased during a contract year to only 30%, and no longer than 5 years. this would hamper spreading out a signing bonus over 6 or 7 years, and making it a 4-5 deal with the benefit of spreading it out over 7.
Regardless, we will just tag him, he isn't going anywhere for at least 3 years.

stlrtruck
02-25-2009, 03:59 PM
According to BSPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3934229

When you pit the reigning Super Bowl champions against the league's defensive MVP in contract negotiations, there are bound to be rough patches.

For the Pittsburgh Steelers and Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison, this is one of those times, as the sides remain far apart in negotiations, Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, told ESPN.com Wednesday.

"We're talking and meeting pretty regularly, almost daily, but we're having a difficult time getting to where we need to be," Parise said. "I would say talks are progressing but not necessarily yielding the results that we would expect."

Barring something unforeseen, the Steelers are not expected to have a deal in place with Harrison before the start of free agency on Friday.

Length is not the primary issue. Both sides have discussed a deal in the range of five to six years. But the two sides are far apart monetarily and how it would be distributed over the length of the contract. The uncertainty with the collective bargaining agreement, with talks possibly starting this spring, also is something both sides have to work through.

AFC North blog

ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Harrison, 30, is not due to become a free agent until 2010.

"I think the Steelers are trying to get a deal done, too," Parise said. "It's just right now we're not close."

Harrison, a two-time Pro Bowler, registered 101 tackles, 16 sacks and seven forced fumbles for Pittsburgh last season. He also had the longest interception return in Super Bowl history of 100 yards in the win over the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII.

Sharkissle29
02-25-2009, 04:20 PM

Someone having a rough day? I think he's posting to see if we know anything about it....

Vincent
02-25-2009, 05:50 PM
The issue is apparently money... http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3934229 No surprise here.

With the uncertainty of the CBA and the stupid money being thrown at FAs, the Steelers need to play "hard ball". I love Silverback and all he's done as much as the next guy (see signature), but it's a business and the Rooneys succeed long term by making business decisions over personal decisions.

Make him a reasonably offer that works for the business and be done with it. It he doesn't take it he plays next year and walks. It would be sad but so be it.

Timmons plays well in his absence and will get better. Davis was a force in college, but we've had no need to get him on the field to this point. Get him out there. And grab some more studs in the draft.

fansince'76
02-25-2009, 06:03 PM
With the uncertainty of the CBA and the stupid money being thrown at FAs, the Steelers need to play "hard ball". I love Silverback and all he's done as much as the next guy (see signature), but it's a business and the Rooneys succeed long term by making business decisions over personal decisions.

Make him a reasonably offer that works for the business and be done with it. It he doesn't take it he plays next year and walks. It would be sad but so be it.

Couldn't agree more. It would suck if he walked after next year, but if it happens, it happens.

paw-n-maul-u
02-25-2009, 06:17 PM
... he is under contract till 2010 ... franchise tags ... Harrison is not going to go anywhere, and the franchise way might even be the way to go in the future ... but i'm pretty sure that means he would play out his current contract, which no one should do with that level or production

StainlessStill
02-25-2009, 06:20 PM

I was just annoyed as you because the ESPN crew didn't even talk about it. I saw it come across the ticker, and my brother also saw it. I came on here and local sites like the Post Gazette and the Tribune Review and even ESPN.com and nothing was posted on either site. I saw what I saw and figured I'd post here to see if anyone caught the same thing, but it's now confirmed in LINKS that it has something to do with money issues considering a bargaining agreement for 2010 and the years to come after that.

But more than the usual impediments to getting a deal completed are present -- things such as the give-and-take of negotiations and salary-cap issues. The new concern is one in which every contract across the league must pass muster -- the fresh rules regarding the lack of a collective bargaining agreement beyond 2010.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09056/951398-66.stm

Galax Steeler
02-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Hopefully we can get him resigned but I don't won't to break the bank for him.

KeiselPower99
02-25-2009, 07:07 PM
When you pit the reigning Super Bowl champions against the league's defensive MVP in contract negotiations, there are bound to be rough patches.

For the Pittsburgh Steelers and Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison, this is one of those times, as the sides remain far apart in negotiations, Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, told ESPN.com Wednesday.

"We're talking and meeting pretty regularly, almost daily, but we're having a difficult time getting to where we need to be," Parise said. "I would say talks are progressing but not necessarily yielding the results that we would expect."

Barring something unforeseen, the Steelers are not expected to have a deal in place with Harrison before the start of free agency on Friday.

NFL.com Video

Highlights of the best moments from James Harrison in 2008.

Length is not the primary issue. Both sides have discussed a deal in the range of five to six years. But the two sides are far apart monetarily and how it would be distributed over the length of the contract. The uncertainty with the collective bargaining agreement, with talks possibly starting this spring, also is something both sides have to work through.

Harrison, 30, is not due to become a free agent until 2010.

"I think the Steelers are trying to get a deal done, too," Parise said. "It's just right now we're not close."

Harrison, a two-time Pro Bowler, registered 101 tackles, 16 sacks and seven forced fumbles for Pittsburgh last season. He also had the longest interception return in Super Bowl history of 100 yards in the win over the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3934229

lilyoder6
02-25-2009, 08:18 PM
the only good thing here, is that we still have 1 more yr left b4 he actually becomes a FA.. so it's not a do or die moment

StainlessStill
02-25-2009, 08:23 PM
the only good thing here, is that we still have 1 more yr left b4 he actually becomes a FA.. so it's not a do or die moment

Exactly. If this ends ugly, which it shouldn't, and even though we want to lock Silverback up long term with a year left on his contract, he is STILL under contract for a year. I wouldn't rule out us passin' on the long term this season, and let him play out his current contract and give him the big deal next season if he still puts up the domination.

If that happens, I'm sure Harrison won't be happy and could lead to a fall out, but I still have the feeling this will get done.

Michael Keller
02-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Does this mean That Harrison remains in the existing contract and he continues to be paid a low amount relative to his true value? If so it seems like Harrison is the loser, thus greed is not good. Am I missing something here?

CPanther95
02-25-2009, 08:34 PM
He'll be extremely motivated to perform next year though.

StainlessStill
02-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Does this mean That Harrison remains in the existing contract and he continues to be paid a low amount relative to his true value? If so it seems like Harrison is the loser, thus greed is not good. Am I missing something here?

This is the nasty side of the business side of football. It's a sticky situation for the Steelers since #1. We won the Superbowl, thus players stock rises, regardless of position and # 2 Harrison is the Team MVP, and DPOTY winner. This makes it very hard for the front office to make this work not only for Harrison, but for the organization of the salary cap in the years to come. It's a demanding yet sticky process that is very confusing and frustrating.

jjpro11
02-25-2009, 10:32 PM
is anyone surprised? albert haynesworth is about to cash in on a $100 million dollar deal and james harrison is the reigning DPOY. add in the fact that the steelers dont have a history of breaking the bank on players.. and you get what i pretty much expected to happen. a stalemate.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-25-2009, 10:40 PM
I just don't see the big concern here.

Does he deserve more? Certainly he does. But he isn't getting anymore unless he signs a new deal. With no CBA the longest he can have is 5 years, which hurts the steelers in prorating a signing bonus out past his playing days.
So right now, if he doesn't agree, he plays for the paltry sum of a million or 2. Than we tag him for 2 years. Than he is 33 or 34.
As some others stated, lets not break the bank. If it wasnt for the Steelers, he probably would not be here. He knows it..

7SteelGal43
02-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Someone having a rough day? I think he's posting to see if we know anything about it....

You are CORRECT sir. :wink02:

LVSteelersfan
02-26-2009, 01:35 AM
I agree with using the franchise tag on him the next two years. He will get paid appropriately that way and we don't have to sign a player who is likely going to be over the hill in 3-4 years to a long term contract. Sorry, but the Steelers don't work that way. If he walks, he walks after that.

OneForTheToe
02-26-2009, 01:43 AM
I just don't see the big concern here.

Does he deserve more? Certainly he does. But he isn't getting anymore unless he signs a new deal. With no CBA the longest he can have is 5 years, which hurts the steelers in prorating a signing bonus out past his playing days.
So right now, if he doesn't agree, he plays for the paltry sum of a million or 2. Than we tag him for 2 years. Than he is 33 or 34.
As some others stated, lets not break the bank. If it wasnt for the Steelers, he probably would not be here. He knows it..

I think you might have nailed it. If the Steelers don't like the numbers, they can make him play for the 2 million this season and tag him for the following two at maybe around "Starks" numbers. At this point he will be 33 and entering that time when the usually Steelers pass on resigning players. Of course, the downside is that James is unlikely to be a happy camper. Let's just hope if the Steelers can't reach an agreement with Harrison that he takes out his frustration on opposing quarterbacks.

CPanther95
02-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Is there such a thing as a "Franchise Tag" without a CBA?

OneForTheToe
02-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Is there such a thing as a "Franchise Tag" without a CBA?

Technically there is still a CBA in effect through the 2010 season. What the owners did by notifying the union that they were going to opt out of the the agreement was trigger the terms that govern that 2010 season (which is now the final season of the CBA instead of 2012). The terms include no cap, extention of free agency eligibility from four years to six and, if I remember correctly, the abiltiy of each team to franchise tag two players instead of one.

I had thought that the contract would run through the 2011 season but apparently that is not correct. So, who knows what will happen in 2011? Strike? Lock-out? Obama will have solved every other problem in the world so he moves onto the NFL?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80868b78&template=without-video&confirm=true

In any case, Harrison could be tagged for at least 2010.

KeiselPower99
02-26-2009, 09:31 AM

From what I understand the only reason an extension has not been agreed on yet is the uncertain future of the CBA.

Steeldude
02-26-2009, 10:21 AM
no salary cap also means no minimum salary either. they could pay players $30,000 a year if they wanted.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-26-2009, 11:00 AM
CPanther... I'm not sure, lol... Here I thought mine was a good idea, lol.

KPower: It reads to me, like because of the limitations of the term, and the low escalations, its binding. Those terms will force the steeelrs to have a higher than normal yearly payout, as opposed to making a big signing bonus upfront, and backloading the 5th or 6th year where Harrison would not play that final year. I think thats whats gumming it up. but if they are waiting for the CBA to happen, they will be waiting a while.

lilyoder6
02-26-2009, 11:27 AM
no salary cap also means no minimum salary either. they could pay players $30,000 a year if they wanted.

that is true.. and sad.. b/c they could get someone to be that number 50-53 players and pay him shitty money to play such a violent sport.

steelreserve
02-26-2009, 12:12 PM

Exactly. If he (or more like his agent) is demanding something completely unrealistic like 6 years and $72 million, I'd rather see them make him play out this contract, then tag him twice in a row. That would work out a lot cheaper for us, and while it's too bad the player would get shafted because of a greedy agent, the reality is that's what you get sometimes if you try to take a hard line like that. The agent doesn't care if we'd have to cripple our team to sign his guy, so screw him. He doesn't have the leverage to make us and he ought to know better.

Man, I wish he wouldn't have won that defensive MVP award now. That alone probably added $15 million to what they're demanding.

fansince'76
02-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Exactly. If he (or more like his agent) is demanding something completely unrealistic like 6 years and $72 million....

Well, I've read that Parise, Harrison's agent, said that they're "far apart" on the amount, so he probably is.

Vincent
02-26-2009, 12:24 PM
What do we all think is a fair deal for Silverback?

We have the 5 year limit and no more than a 30% increase factors to deal with. So do the others that would bid for him next year. We can franchise him and keep him around for his remaining productive years.

So its a 5 year deal. $8-10 per? $20M guaranteed?

What would his expectation be? 5/$12M/$30M? Never happen.

Under these circumstances, why wouldn't he take the former?

Here's my offer...

$45.8 over 5 / $17.5 SB / $20M G - Average $9M / yr

1st year - $2.5M / $3.5M pro-rated / $6M cap hit
2nd year - $3.3M / $3.5M pro-rated / $6.8M cap hit
3rd year - $5M / $3.5M pro-rated / $8.5M cap hit
4th year - $7.5M / $3.5M pro-rated / $11M cap hit
5th year - $10M / $3.5M pro-rated / $13.56M cap hit

It isn't what stupidity is going to throw at Haynesworth or Ware, but its what the market he lives in can bear. And he'd probably see about $35M of it. Not too bad.

steelreserve
02-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Well, I've read that Parise, Harrison's agent, said that they're "far apart" on the amount, so he probably is.

Yup ... that's what made me think of such a ridiculous number in the first place. But I don't think he has the leverage to make it happen. I don't care who we're talking about, offering that kind of a contract to one player would be absolutely stupid for us to do right now.

steelreserve
02-26-2009, 12:32 PM
What do we all think is a fair deal for Silverback?

We have the 5 year limit and no more than a 30% increase factors to deal with. So do the others that would bid for him next year. We can franchise him and keep him around for his remaining productive years.

So its a 5 year deal. $8-10 per? $20M guaranteed?

My offer would be:

2009 -- $1.2M, no signing bonus
2010 -- Franchise, $8.5M, no signing bonus
2011 -- Franchise, $10M, no signing bonus
2012 -- sorry you're angry now, but good luck, and your agent should've thought of this possibility in the first place.

So if we want, we can keep him around for a little more than $6M a year and no signing bonus. Maybe if we're lucky, he comes around and signs a 3-4 year deal for that much after getting tagged the first time.

BlastFurnace
02-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Problem is that he arguably is the most disruptive force we have had on defense in a very long time. IMO, Troy and James are in the same class....everyone else is down a notch or two. Porter was never as disruptive as Harrison is.

We have to keep this guy. There is absolutely no choice in the matter...and his agent knows that.

fansince'76
02-26-2009, 12:54 PM
We have to keep this guy. There is absolutely no choice in the matter...and his agent knows that.

Not at the expense of being able to field a competitive team. We survived Woodson leaving (although the departure was very painful) and we'll survive Harrison leaving too if it comes to that. If Harrison wants to hit the "jackpot," let him go play for a shit team that grossly overpays 4-5 star players, surrounds them with a bunch of minimum wage scrubs and wins maybe 3-4 games a year. If he wants to be paid fairly and very well and play with a team that has a chance to win it all more years than not, he'll stay. It's not like Polamalu couldn't have gotten more, a LOT more, somewhere else himself.

BlastFurnace
02-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Not at the expense of being able to field a competitive team. We survived Woodson leaving (although the departure was very painful) and we'll survive Harrison leaving too if it comes to that. If Harrison wants to hit the "jackpot," let him go play for a shit team that grossly overpays 4-5 star players, surrounds them with a bunch of minimum wage scrubs and wins maybe 3-4 games a year. If he wants to be paid fairly and very well and play with a team that has a chance to win it all more years than not, he'll stay. It's not like Polamalu couldn't have gotten more, a LOT more, somewhere else himself.

I can't disagree with anything you wrote.

I think it will get done because Colbert makes things happen for those most important to the team.

fansince'76
02-26-2009, 01:11 PM
I think it will get done because Colbert makes things happen for those most important to the team.

Yep, I think it will get done too. I am optimistic on this one. :hope:

CPanther95
02-26-2009, 03:11 PM
that is true.. and sad.. b/c they could get someone to be that number 50-53 players and pay him shitty money to play such a violent sport.

Something needs to change so that unproven rookies aren't sucking up a huge percentage of the team salaries. They also need to develop a much stronger pension and long term health care/disability program for players - even if the young ones are too stupid to care.

zsheik22
02-26-2009, 03:21 PM

Thats the problem though. After a SB a lot of players look to just get money because they know they cant play football forever. You're right in what you said though, thank God the Steelers dont do that, we always do seem to recover no matter who we lose.

You won 10 superbowls? Thats not really going to help your life, but money sure will. I wish it wasnt this way, but sadly it is. Money isnt everything, it's the only thing.

steelreserve
02-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Thats the problem though. After a SB a lot of players look to just get money because they know they cant play football forever. You're right in what you said though, thank God the Steelers dont do that, we always do seem to recover no matter who we lose.

You won 10 superbowls? Thats not really going to help your life, but money sure will. I wish it wasnt this way, but sadly it is. Money isnt everything, it's the only thing.

Yeah, but we're probably offering Harrison something on the order of at least $6-$7 million per year, probably $30 million or more total, and that's probably a low estimate.

Anyone who gets offered that and comes out complaining that they're not being treated fairly can feel free to suck a dick and go home. That's enough to buy you everything you want for the rest of your life, and your kids won't have to work a day in their lives either. Unless you are a complete retard and you waste it all, in which case I've got no sympathy for you anyway.

sackmaster56
02-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Harrison is 30 years old. The Steelers should wait until next year and franchise him upon a good season or cut ties upon a average to below average season. It is a known fact that the Steelers have no problem finding talent at the LB position.

XxKnightxX
02-26-2009, 08:03 PM
This is what I love about the Steelers, yeah we have dominant players that win, but you get too greedy, YOU ARE NO LONGER PART OF THE TEAM. His agent is corrupting Harrisons mind, but hey a business is a business, go play somewhere else for all I care, We have a draft this year and we have Timmons or Woods.

Galax Steeler
02-27-2009, 05:08 AM
We always seem to loose good players,but we always seem to replace them.I would hate to see him go but if that is what he chooses then so be it.

MasterOfPuppets
02-27-2009, 05:30 AM
Harrison is 30 years old. The Steelers should wait until next year and franchise him upon a good season or cut ties upon a average to below average season. It is a known fact that the Steelers have no problem finding talent at the LB position. i agree...:thumbsup: ....there's a pile of solid 3-4 OLBer prospects in this draft . why break the bank on 30+ yr old , who may never come close to repeating this performance ever again. they made that mistake once with gildon. as was said, if he has another big year, franchise him, then trade him.....:popcorn:

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-27-2009, 11:48 AM
i agree...:thumbsup: ....there's a pile of solid 3-4 OLBer prospects in this draft . why break the bank on 30+ yr old , who may never come close to repeating this performance ever again. they made that mistake once with gildon. as was said, if he has another big year, franchise him, then trade him.....:popcorn:

:iagree:

BlastFurnace
02-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Bart Scott just got $40 million over 5 years.

I'm not sure what the Steelers are offering, but if Scott is worth $40 million....what the heck is Harrison worth!

I could very easily see Harrison playing out this contract. I'd hate to see it, but when Scott get's $40 million, and Haynsworth banks $100 Million / $41 guaranteed....James will be far out of our price range.

Just get us another ring James and we'll wish you well.

steelreserve
02-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Just get us another ring James and we'll put the franchise tag on you for one or two more years.

There, I fixed it for you.

BlastFurnace
02-27-2009, 12:55 PM
There, I fixed it for you.

LOL...I like it.

If they can franchise Max....they can do it for James.

Steelman16
02-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Bart Scott just got $40 million over 5 years.

I'm not sure what the Steelers are offering, but if Scott is worth $40 million....what the heck is Harrison worth!

I could very easily see Harrison playing out this contract. I'd hate to see it, but when Scott get's $40 million, and Haynsworth banks $100 Million / $41 guaranteed....James will be far out of our price range.

Just get us another ring James and we'll wish you well.

I agree. It's always those high-spenders that ruin everything for us. While I would love to see James play the rest of his career here in the 'Burgh, eventually holding on to Heath and Woodley are much bigger concerns. Woodley will be better than Harrison and he's a heck of a lot younger.

Hopefully James will have a change of heart.

steelreserve
02-27-2009, 01:14 PM
LOL...I like it.

If they can franchise Max....they can do it for James.

Sad thing is, I think the franchise tag value for a LB is actually less than for an offensive lineman. If it's more, it's not by much. His agent better be careful what he asks for.

NEPAsteeler
02-27-2009, 01:18 PM
If/when we eventually lose Harrison, I won't have much fear. I know it sucks losing such a good player, but we have guys just waiting for their chance.

6 championships... we've gotta be doing something right.

Blitzburgh_Fever
02-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Don't kid yourselves, Harrison will continue to be as good as he is. This whole "Why should we sign a 30 year old LBer" would have merit if it was, say, Larry Foote in two years. But Harrison has been nothing but dominant every single game the last two seasons.

lilyoder6
02-27-2009, 03:33 PM
i am honestly not that worried bout his contract since he does have 1 yr left..

Steel Warrior
02-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Even though he has 1 year left on his contract, if we don't reach a long term deal, won't he probably sit out the season? We could offer a new 1 year deal and franchise him next year but it doesn't sound like a new 1 year deal would work as we're so tight against the cap and can't backload a 1 year deal.

Steeldude
03-01-2009, 03:54 AM
What do we all think is a fair deal for Silverback

4 years/28 mil, tops.

but i think pretty much everyone is overpaid in pro sports.

let him finish the contract, then tag him twice and let him walk. i can't see harrison's body holding up to the kind of punishing/powerful play he does in each game.

steelwall
03-01-2009, 06:42 AM
Hey Faneca left, and people were acting like it was the end of the world....what happened...we won a superbowl..

I really, really like Harrison, but if he is going to sell out like Faneca did then let him go.

Thats why I will allways love the Bus, and people like him that take a pay cut to remain on a team. It shows loyalty, respect, and character.

ben2hines=6
03-02-2009, 01:29 PM
I would rather see us save lb money for woodley and timmons, i love debo but those guys r younger and we breed lb's so i dont think giving him huge money will be the smartest thing

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-02-2009, 01:37 PM
i am honestly not that worried bout his contract since he does have 1 yr left..

Exactly, they can always tag him next season.

fansince'76
03-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Even though he has 1 year left on his contract, if we don't reach a long term deal, won't he probably sit out the season? We could offer a new 1 year deal and franchise him next year but it doesn't sound like a new 1 year deal would work as we're so tight against the cap and can't backload a 1 year deal.

Yep, I'm worried about a protracted holdout as well. I really hope the Rooneys and Harrison and his agent can reach an agreement.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-02-2009, 02:02 PM

Players seem to threaten to sit out....but its usually is a very bad idea. There is the fear that:

1) They get labeled as a malcontent

2) Another player steps in and plays great...giving the impression that the first may have been a system player (and Harrison has to see Timmons over his shoulder...right?)

I hope things work out...I love James aggression and passion for the game...but I will always be a Steelers fan...before a player fan.

tony hipchest
03-02-2009, 11:25 PM
gerry dulac of ppg was just on the nfl network saying that they are getting closer.

"not only do they want to sign him, but they want to reward him for his past 2 years".

he called harrison the steal of the century and then scoffed at the likes of suggs and lewis making $7-8 mil/ year when harrison only made $1.2 mil.

harrison will be a atleast top 3 paid lb in the league (if not the highest, until jones trumps the deal with ware) imo.

OX1947
03-03-2009, 02:37 AM
Players seem to threaten to sit out....but its usually is a very bad idea. There is the fear that:

1) They get labeled as a malcontent

2) Another player steps in and plays great...giving the impression that the first may have been a system player (and Harrison has to see Timmons over his shoulder...right?)

I hope things work out...I love James aggression and passion for the game...but I will always be a Steelers fan...before a player fan.

Hines Ward held out so those arguments really don't apply. Harrison hasn't indicted anything about being angry about the contract and neither has his agent. The deal would have been signed right now but the new rules made it harder and they need time to get the details together. And Harrison doesn't need to look over his shoulder for Timmons. Timmons after next year when Foote leaves as a free agent, will play the middle and he will be the Polamalu of linebackers in the NFL. Barring injury, Timmons and Woodley will both be DOPY. Timmons is one of the most amazing athletes I have ever seen. He is the reason why Troy was able to play back and get so many INTs this year, he took over Troys spot in the nickel package.

Galax Steeler
03-03-2009, 04:36 AM
gerry dulac of ppg was just on the nfl network saying that they are getting closer.

"not only do they want to sign him, but they want to reward him for his past 2 years".

he called harrison the steal of the century and then scoffed at the likes of suggs and lewis making $7-8 mil/ year when harrison only made $1.2 mil.

harrison will be a atleast top 3 paid lb in the league (if not the highest, until jones trumps the deal with ware) imo.

That is some good news hearing that they are getting closer. I just wish they would hurry and get it done soon.

mesaSteeler
03-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Third proposal between Steelers, Harrison
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_614175.html#
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The $100 million free-agent contract given to defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth by the Washington Redskins hasn't affected negotiations between the Steelers and linebacker James Harrison. Yet, Harrison's representative is "disappointed" by the lack of progress toward a long-term contract extension for his client.

"We're struggling with this," agent Bill Parise said Monday morning. "We don't seem to be making the progress I felt we would have made. I'm disappointed but not discouraged."

Parise said he talked on "a couple occasions" yesterday with Steelers' director of football operations Kevin Colbert and Steelers' business and football administration coordinator Omar Khan.

Those discussions, Parise said, resulted in the eventual submission of a revised contract proposal for Harrison.

"It's extremely similar to the previous (two) proposals submitted," Parise said. "It's less in value than we asked for the first time, so we came down. My expectation would be that the Steelers would come up.

"We're working at this. We'll see what happens from here."

Parise said he anticipated a response from the Steelers in the next 24 to 48 hours.

The Steelers, per club policy, do not comment publicly on contract negotiations.

Haynesworth, formerly of the Tennessee Titans, agreed last week to a seven-year deal with the Redskins, one worth approximately $100 million. It included an NFL-record $41 million guaranteed.

The Steelers signed quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to a $102 million deal last year.

Harrison is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent following the 2009 season, the last year of a four-year, $5.5 million deal signed in April 2006. That contract included a $1.375 million signing bonus.

He earned a $1.2 million base salary in 2008, when he was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year and helped lead the Steelers to victory in Super Bowl XLIII.

"We're just not doing well," Parise said. "This is not going as well as it should or it could. Both sides are being challenged to get this accomplished.

"We clearly want to be here and stay here. James has a home here and family an hour-and-a-half away. I'm here, we love this and this is our goal. And our request is by no means a reach.

"We're not anywhere near Haynesworth numbers. We're nowhere near Ben's numbers. We're not asking for him to be the highest-paid Steelers player."

Although he declined to identify a timetable for getting an agreement hammered out, Parise made it clear he's operating under such a parameter.

"We're not going to do this forever," he said. "If we can't get something done in the very near future, it's going to be a negative result. There are two outcomes, good and bad. Both are on the table."

The Steelers haven't signed a free agent from another team or hosted one for a visit since the NFL's free-agency period began at 12:01 a.m. on Friday.

Still, they've been busy.

Offensive tackle Max Starks has been signed to a one-year, $8.451 million contract as the team's franchise player with the idea of eventually working out a long-term deal.

Guard Chris Kemoeatu has agreed to a five-year contract that could be worth as much as $20 million.

Offensive tackle Willie Colon has been offered a one-year, $2.198 million contract as a restricted free agent.

Tight end/fullback Sean McHugh has agreed to a three-year, $2.57 million contract with a $390,000 signing bonus.

And cornerback/special-teams player Anthony Madison has been offered a one-year deal for $1.01 million.

"The Steelers have done some interesting things this free-agent period," Parise said. "We need to fit in there. They keep saying we're the most important thing, but I don't feel the love.

"Our relationship is still strong; we're having no trouble talking. Agreeing, we seem to be having some difficultly with that."

Mike Prisuta can be reached at mprisuta@tribweb.com or 412-320-7923.

deminutah
03-03-2009, 10:46 AM
The Steelers have done some interesting things this free-agent period," Parise said. "We need to fit in there. They keep saying we're the most important thing, but I don't feel the love.

I can't stand agents sometimes. Why do they wine and complain in public when dealing with the Steelers, that may work against other teams, but it seems to have a negative effect on negotiations with the Rooneys.

Just do your business behind closed doors and get it done.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Hines Ward held out so those arguments really don't apply.

UH...yea...thats why I didnt make it a blanket statement.

what I said was:

but its usually is a very bad idea.

..and it is. Even in Wards case there were alot of fans that were upset at him...The thought at the time was that Hines DESERVED consideration for a better contract but that he should honor his current contract until it was worked out, and not hold out.

Anyone who says different is rewriting history

fansince'76
03-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Even in Wards case there were alot of fans that were upset at him...The thought at the time was that Hines DESERVED consideration for a better contract but that he should honor his current contract until it was worked out, and not hold out.

Yep, and T.O. was also in the midst of a very public (and also very unpopular with fans) holdout at the same time. Ward ended his holdout out of PR and "damage control" as far as his image was concerned as much as anything else.

steelreserve
03-03-2009, 11:41 AM
"We're just not doing well," Parise said. "This is not going as well as it should or it could. Both sides are being challenged to get this accomplished.
"We're not going to do this forever," he said. "If we can't get something done in the very near future, it's going to be a negative result. There are two outcomes, good and bad. Both are on the table."

Remember, dickhead: play out the contract for $1.2 million, franchise tag, franchise tag. That option is always on the table and there's nothing you can do about it. Be careful what you demand.

I've got nothing against paying Harrison what he deserves, but greedy agents sure piss me off.

Fire Haley
03-03-2009, 11:55 AM
play out the contract for $1.2 million
franchise tag
franchise tag

That works for me - he'll be 34 by then.

OX1947
03-03-2009, 12:01 PM
There is no need for Parise to do this. This is just stupid.

And honoring contracts is a joke in the NFL. Owners do not honor contracts, they front load money and make the number all big the first few years and then cut your ass the moment you decline. I would like to see contracts just say 4 years, 48 mil, instead of 8 years 450 million dollars.

Preacher
03-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Yep, and T.O. was also in the midst of a very public (and also very unpopular with fans) holdout at the same time. Ward ended his holdout out of PR and "damage control" as far as his image was concerned as much as anything else.

Yes, but the major difference was, Ward kept saying, "This is sadly the business side of the game." If I remember right, he showed respect to the Rooney's and the organization even in the middle of the holdout.

Something TO didn't do.

Peezy seemed to be running his mouth already... and was cut.

It is nice to see Harrison keep his mouth shut.

steelreserve
03-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Yes, but the major difference was, Ward kept saying, "This is sadly the business side of the game." If I remember right, he showed respect to the Rooney's and the organization even in the middle of the holdout.

Something TO didn't do.

Yeah ... and for that matter, he didn't publicly call the quarterback a homo either. TO doesn't do a lot of things right.

The Duke
03-03-2009, 06:33 PM
It is nice to see Harrison keep his mouth shut.

well....he does that all the time anyway :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
03-10-2009, 04:55 AM
Bires: Harrison can still expect big bucks
ADVERTISEMENT
By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff
Published: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 12:12 AM EDT
It is not a matter of if the Steelers and James Harrison agree on a new contract. It’s when.

The deal will get done because Harrison has no choice.

What’s he going to do if he doesn’t get the money he wants?

Hold out?

He’d be a fool.

Harrison, the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year last season, deserves a hefty pay raise. And he’s going to get one.

That contract will no doubt be shy of the $20 million guaranteed he reportedly wants. But it will come close enough.

Harrison deserves big bucks for one of the most dominating two-year runs ever by a Steelers defender. He’s also been paid backup money the past two years because Joey Porter was still the starter at right outside linebacker when Harrison signed his existing contract in 2006. The Rooneys are frugal but no unfair.

Still, Harrison is under contract for another year.

If he balks and turns down whatever the Steelers’ final offer may be, he’ll be forced to play at a base salary of roughly $1.4 million in 2009. He could then shop himself on the open market in 2010 as a 32-year-old unrestricted free agent.

Then again, the Steelers could keep him next year by tagging him as a franchise player.

On a positive note, talks between the Steelers’ negotiators and agent Bill Parise are on-going. Parise said Monday afternoon, he had already spoken to the Steelers three times earlier in the day.

“We’re working at it,” Parise said. “That’s all I really have to say right now.”

In other free agent matters:

l The Steelers need a new No. 3 wide receiver, and Joey Galloway may be the man.

Yes, Galloway is 37 and out of work after a recent purge of five highly-paid veterans by the new regime in Tampa Bay. Still, Galloway could be a good fit in Pittsburgh — but only as a role player.

Galloway, who visited with the Steelers on Monday, claims he’s healthy after missing seven games last year with a foot injury.

He has surpassed 1,000 receiving yards six times in his career, including a three-year stretch from 2005-2007.

He should come relatively cheap. And he’s familiar with Mike Tomlin, the secondary coach in Tampa during Galloway’s first two seasons with the Buccaneers.

If the Steelers do sign Galloway, they would not have to rush Limas Sweed, a second-round draft pick last year, into the rotation.

l Now that the Steelers have lost free agent cornerback Bryant McFadden to free agency, William Gay will get the chance to start. Tomlin loves Gay’s upside. And remember, Gay played in the Super Bowl just as much as McFadden.

On one hand, it’s tough to lose a player like McFadden, who signed Sunday with the Arizona Cardinals. But on the other hand, the Steelers are ready to pencil in Gay as the starter. There’s also speculation that the Steelers may take Wake Forest cornerback Alphonso Smith in the first round of next month’s draft.

l We’re into the second week of free agency, and Byron Leftwich still doesn’t have an offer. Apparently, none of the teams in need of quarterback help think he’s a viable option as a starter
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/03/09/sports/steelers/doc49b5e7c46e924216312094.txt

stillers4me
03-10-2009, 06:22 AM
We’re into the second week of free agency, and Byron Leftwich still doesn’t have an offer. Apparently, none of the teams in need of quarterback help think he’s a viable option as a starter
Welcome home, Byron.

Fordy
03-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Welcome home, Byron.

I truly hope so. Its very comforting having a quality backup.

mesaSteeler
03-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Steeler Report: Harrison wants to finish his career as a Steeler
March 10, 2:31 AM · Add a Comment
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m3d10-Steeler-Report-Harrison-wants-to-finish-his-career-as-a-Steeler

PITTSBURGH - Now nearing the third week of free-agency, the biggest question remaining for the Steelers, is how long until the James Harrison situation is resolved.

Not that he is going to be spreading his wings and leaving the Steel City anytime soon, but when his contract will be finalized.

The organization have made it known that a priority of the team heading into the free-agency period is to get a long-term deal done with Harrison, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year.Associated Press file photo

And all indications are that he would like to remain a Steeler. Harrison's agent told the Lancaster Intelligencer Journal that Harrison would like to finish his career as a Steeler.

"Who wouldn't? James has won two rings there, and we believe there is a chance to get who knows, maybe one or two more," Parise said. "I also think you have to look at the Steelers as a whole. They are one of the classiest organizations in the NFL, and then you also have to look at their style of play. James is a very physical football player and the Steelers are a very physical team."

But Harrison, who does not join the free-agent ranks until next year reportedly wants around $20 million a year. While rumors swirl that after seeing the money being tossed around to guys like Albert Haynesworth put a chip on his shoulder, that is not the case.

Harrison is not about the money or living off the past.

"I feel like every time I go out there that I have to prove that I’m good enough to be out there," Harrison said. " If you go out there believing every thing that you’ve heard said about you or written about you, then you’re trying to play on your legend and that doesn’t work very well."

Parise said the reason negotiations have slowed has to do with the collective bargaining act, and the fact 2010 may be an uncapped year. If this is the case, money such as what Troy Polamalu received when he signed his deal can't be back loaded onto his contract.

In 2008, Harrison made a reported base salary of $1.2 million — the third year of a four-year deal signed in April 2006 when he was a backup, and it is a steal by NFL standards.

The total worth of the contract was $5.5 million before incentives, including a $1.375 million signing bonus. Harrison is set to earn $1.4 million in the 2009 season, his final year under contract.

But he was a backup to Joey Porter when he signed the deal, and at that point no one knew Harrison's potential. The Steelers don't like to negotiate contracts heading into camp, meaning if something can't be done prior, it could play out like the Alan Faneca deal.

There is a difference though. The Steelers believe that Harrison should be rewarded for his efforts, and won't let it become a distraction. Instead, sooner than later, he will get the money that a Pro Bowler deserves.

If not, there is always the franchise tag next year, - meaning the team would have his services for at least two more years. But don't expect that to happen.

Vincent
03-10-2009, 08:15 AM
That contract will no doubt be shy of the $20 million guaranteed he reportedly wants. But it will come close enough.

He only wants $20M G'd???!!! Give it to him already. WTF???!!!

HometownGal
03-10-2009, 08:29 AM

I agree. The man has more than proven his worth.

We’re into the second week of free agency, and Byron Leftwich still doesn’t have an offer. Apparently, none of the teams in need of quarterback help think he’s a viable option as a starter

Fine with me! I'd love to have Byron as the #2 guy - sign him up! :hope:

Jackal
03-10-2009, 08:37 AM
I concur, as well. Give the man his $20MM and let's move on.

Though I'd love to see Lefty back in the black-and-gold again next year, you have to feel bad for the guy. I thought for sure someone would've snatched him up quickly once FA started.

CPanther95
03-10-2009, 09:18 AM
That last article posted said he is looking for $20 million per year.

MasterOfPuppets
03-10-2009, 09:36 AM

But Harrison, who does not join the free-agent ranks until next year reportedly wants around $20 million a year. i hope this is a typo.......:noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2009, 09:37 AM
That last article posted said he is looking for $20 million per year.

No, it said $20mil guaranteed.

That means if he got a 5 year, $100million contract with a $10 mil signing bonus that he can be cut after 1 year and only get the $10mil.

Or, he could sign a 4 year $40million contract and have $20 million guaranteed signing bonus and in the 2nd contract he is guaranteed more. This is why I hate the fan arguement of "he signed a contract.......he should honor it". The owners can cut a guy before his contract is over, so why cant a guy negotiate for more before the contract is up.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2009, 09:39 AM
i hope this is a typo.......:noidea:

Aaaaaah. 2 different articles saying 2 different things. More speculation about nothing. If he doesnt get the deal done, he will play out the year for cheap and get tagged next season.

steelreserve
03-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Hold out?

He’d be a fool.

But Harrison, who does not join the free-agent ranks until next year reportedly wants around $20 million a year.

Yeah, and if we pay him $20 million a year, we'd be the fools. There isn't ANYONE in the league worth that much. Not Harrison, not Ben, not Brady or Peppers or Nnamdi, not anybody. That's like a sixth of our team's total payroll. What would we do then?

Is there any way we can just cut his agent?

The_WARDen
03-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Why is everyone so anxious? The FO knows what they are doing...so drink the koolaid and relax.

Besides, if he doesn't get resigned...in 2 years they replace him with the "next" LB.
:coffee:

Vincent
03-10-2009, 02:51 PM
"HET, HET...PAY THE-AT ME-AN HEEZ MONEY"

http://www.golf-tips.info/forumdyna/bilder/rounders1.jpg

http://www.entertonement.com/clips/34060/He-Beat-Me-Straight-Up

markymarc
03-13-2009, 07:19 AM
Aaaaaah. 2 different articles saying 2 different things. More speculation about nothing. If he doesnt get the deal done, he will play out the year for cheap and get tagged next season.

And I believe that is what will happen most likely. I would still love to see a deal get done because Harrison deserves the money, but if not he is under contract for 2009 and we can always tag him next season to keep him around for another year.

BlastFurnace
03-13-2009, 10:48 AM
The Postgazette did not put a positive spin on this today.

I trust the FO, and I agree that James deserves a hefty pay raise, but this is turning out to be far more difficult than I bet the Steelers imagined.

mesaSteeler
03-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Form the Post Gazette article about the resigning of Frazier.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09072/955317-66.stm

"And they remain far apart in their negotiations with outside linebacker James Harrison, whom they would like to reward with a new contract before the 2009 season."

"Meantime, negotiations with Harrison have slowed, and the sides remain far apart on a new contract for the NFL's defensive player of the year. Harrison has one year remaining on a contract that will pay him $1.4 million in 2009, and it is not likely there will be an agreement anytime soon on a new deal."

Gerry Dulac can be reached at gdulac@post-gazette.com

fansince'76
03-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Yeah, and if we pay him $20 million a year, we'd be the fools.

I agree. Just because Al Davis and Snyder are stupid doesn't mean we should be. I think Harrison deserves a fat raise, but there are limits.

lilyoder6
03-13-2009, 11:55 AM
harrison is going to be 31.. that is hurting his contract WITH the steelers and we all know they don't like to give out big contracts to ppl over 30

Edman
03-13-2009, 12:25 PM
You can call it the Rooneys being tightwads or whatever. I call it being smart. DPOY or not, not disregarding his accomplishments or anything, but 20 million a year? I don't think so. No doubt James deserves a payday, but the Steelers are not run by Al Davis. The FO thinks about the team's present and future at hand. They'll pay you what they'll give you. If you're the type of player who takes a mile when the Rooneys offer you a worthy amount of feet, well so long. We'll draft a replacement for you. Thanks for the time.

Any chance James will fire his agent?

Go ahead and call the Rooneys can Colbert no-good and cheap. Their model has worked for well over thirty years and brought home two championships this decade.

steelreserve
03-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Any chance James will fire his agent?

If they keep this up, I don't think he'll even need an agent. Do you need an agent to play out your contract and then get franchised? I don't think you do, and it looks like that's what's coming.

No sense paying Parise a million bucks for that if he's not smart enough to figure a different way to do it. Especially when the team basically came at him with open arms. He has to realize he has absolutely NO leverage here.

fansince'76
03-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Go ahead and call the Rooneys can Colbert no-good and cheap.

Didja hear about the Rooneys? They all have "Lincoln thumbs" from pinching pennies so hard! Ba-dum-bum! :chuckle:

devilsdancefloor
03-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Didja hear about the Rooneys? They all have "Lincoln thumbs" from pinching pennies so hard! Ba-dum-bum! :chuckle:

http://img19.picoodle.com/img/img19/3/3/13/gumby12001/f_Rim20Shot20m_cdcd463.jpg

they have always run the team this way and not gonna change cause itis james harrison. now i beleive he needs a raise, but if he is really asking for 20 million a year they will let him play out his contract and tag him hoping snyder or someone else grabs him and if they dont i bet after 1 tag he is gone.

steelreserve
03-13-2009, 12:41 PM
they have always run the team this way and not gonna change cause itis james harrison. now i beleive he needs a raise, but if he is really asking for 20 million a year they will let him play out his contract and tag him hoping snyder or someone else grabs him and if they dont i bet after 1 tag he is gone.

yeah ... and by then, he won't be getting 20 million a year, either. The thing about these negotiations is, to get the upper hand, we don't even have to do anything. We just sit there and wait. Is his agent really too dumb to figure that out? It's like ... being aggressive is not going to help you, dumbass.

Steely McSmash
03-13-2009, 01:10 PM
They pretty much have until the end of training camp to work on this. I'm sure Omar will be busy after the draft though.