PDA

View Full Version : Buccaneers Clearing House

steelerdave1969
02-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Comment Email Print Share By John Clayton
ESPN.com
Archive
Linebacker Derrick Brooks, one of the greatest players in Tampa Bay Buccaneers history, was released Wednesday along with four other veterans

I dont know where or how, but this guy would do nothing but help our team. I know he is old and all, but the guy has been awesome since his arrival in Tampa.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Linebacker Derrick Brooks, one of the greatest players in Tampa Bay Buccaneers history, was released Wednesday along with four other veterans.
2008: Best of Derrick Brooks

NFL.com Video

Highlights of the best moments from Derrick Brooks in 2008.

Brooks is an 11-time Pro Bowler and a potential Hall of Famer. Wide receivers Joey Galloway and Ike Hilliard, halfback Warrick Dunn and linebacker Cato June were also released.

"Our family and the entire Tampa Bay community owe Derrick an indescribable measure of gratitude for all that he has meant over the last 14 years," Bucs co-chairman Bryan Glazer said in a statement. "His play on the field and leadership in the locker room helped resurrect our franchise and we look forward to celebrating his certain enshrinement in the Pro Football Hall of Fame."

With Raheem Morris taking over for Jon Gruden, the Bucs are apparently starting a youth movement and a major change in philosophies. They are also getting away from the Cover 2 defensive scheme that had been employed by former Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

Jim Bates has taken over the defense and is changing the style. In the Cover 2, Brooks was considered the perfect weakside linebacker. He was quick enough to cover the field and make most of the tackles.

He was a first-round pick of the Bucs in 1995 and never missed a game. He had 25 interceptions during his 14-year career in Tampa Bay.

AllD
02-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Unloaded some agimg veterans.

steelerdave1969
02-25-2009, 05:02 PM
I know Derrick Brooks is getting up there in age, but the man can still bring it. I couldnt hardly believe that the Buc's would let him go that easy myself.
Cato June is not that bad of a player either, and Warrick Dunn is a class act and a great person. He is huge in his neighborhood helping out needy folks and helping his high school and homtown out.. he is a great guy:hatsoff:

RoethlisBURGHer
02-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Uh...WOW. All great talents. Especially the two linebackers. Why do i get the feeling the Bucs are gonna go nuts in FA like the Jets last year?

I dont think they are going to go that route.

They are going away from the Tampa 2 defensive scheme and getting younger. A youth movement is coming into Tampa Bay, and that's a good thing.

PisnNapalm
02-25-2009, 05:18 PM
We don't need him.

revefsreleets
02-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Fans down in Tampa won't be happy...I lived down there, and I'm not sure they'll understand.

steelerbuckeye
02-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Color me surprised that Cadillac wasn't cut. I guess they have high hopes for him remaining healthy throughout the remainder of his career.

xfl2001fan
02-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Well, Cato June and D. Brooks are both (strictly) Cover-2 linebackers...whereas the offense isn't expected too change much.

So C. Williams hanging on isn't such a bad thing for the Bucs.

Those aging (yet surprisingly performing) WR/QB that they had though...

I'm guessing that Tampa is doing the right thing, but now I wonder where Derrick will go. He's one of my favorite players in the league to watch. How many other teams play the C-2 outside of Indy/Bears? Because at this time, I only see those two teams as possibly taking these guys on.

KeiselPower99
02-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Sad day in Tampa football.

lilyoder6
02-25-2009, 08:25 PM
i am shocked by some of the releases.. and some were the face of the franchise

stlrtruck
02-26-2009, 08:58 AM
This definitely won't go over well with the natives. Especially Brooks. He was the mainstay of that defense and it would have been better for the coach to keep him. You lose not only a great football player (I would call him HOF) but you also loose a leader in the locker room.

What are they thinking? Build through FA or the draft? If he's trying to do the Steelers thing, you can't just clean house to do it your first year. Keep your leaders, utilize the draft wisely and then start cleaning house your second year.

I'm going to be laughing every Sunday this coming season when the bucs return back to their past "glory" days!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2009, 09:37 AM
I wonder how long until we see a "We should sign Cato June" thread??

Fire Haley
02-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Uh...WOW. All great talents. Especially the two linebackers. Why do i get the feeling the Bucs are gonna go nuts in FA like the Jets last year?

All OLD talents. Past their prime.

Bucs will have well over $50M in cap room now - fans will forget all that sentimental stuff when the shiny new FA's come on board.

lilyoder6
02-26-2009, 11:38 AM
50 mill is a LOT of room.. i think u be right they will be dipping into the pool

stlrtruck
02-26-2009, 01:37 PM
I wonder how long until we see a "We should sign Cato June" thread??

He'd look great in the Black and Gold and could be an excellent STs player! :flap:

:poke: :stirthepot: